Counter Strike Source Got Steam Achievements

#1 Posted by Milpool (506 posts) -

It kind of makes me regret wasting thousands of hours playing this game before they added achievements. 

It also makes me want to start playing CS again.
#2 Posted by JJWeatherman (14557 posts) -

You should have already regretted playing thousands of hours of Counter Strike. 

#3 Posted by rjayb89 (7717 posts) -

I REGRET NOTHING.

#4 Posted by Gamer_152 (14051 posts) -

Encouragement to boot up Counter-Strike: Source again? This is good. I only played the game briefly before, my problem was that I found it hard to get to grips with the game and not be completely and consistently owned by every other player in the game.

#5 Edited by Zidd (1838 posts) -
@Gamer_152: Its like trying to play gears of war or halo online. Nobody wants you on their team or wants to help you out. and if you ask for it some help a 12 year old kid shrieks into the mic telling you to "stop being bad".
#6 Posted by RiotBananas (3600 posts) -

Wrong forum page.

#7 Edited by cap123 (2477 posts) -

I will totally try them out, i used to be pretty good for a while. I still have this old screenshot (though I did annotate it since i was a weird little 14/15 year old and wanted to show off). I haven't played for 2 or 3 years though.

#8 Posted by Milpool (506 posts) -
@JJWeatherman said:
"You should have already regretted playing thousands of hours of Counter Strike.  "

Touche.
#9 Posted by MrKlorox (11206 posts) -

And they still haven't added the ones already in existence from the console version of the Orange Box to regular HL2?

#10 Posted by jkz (4003 posts) -

Yeah but the servers are having trouble keeping up (a lot of lag) and there's still some weird physics glitches to work out. I like the additions (hitboxes even seem sharper), but there's still plenty of kinks. 

Of course all the "pro's" (I say that sarcastically because those who are actually good can adapt) are screaming on the steam forums about how the games is broken.

#11 Posted by Jadeskye (4366 posts) -

Time to find a server with some stoners. Always the funniest thing to listen to these guys headshot an entire team while clearly high as a kite.

#12 Posted by MrKlorox (11206 posts) -
@jukezypoo said:
" Of course all the "pro's" (I say that sarcastically because those who are actually good can adapt) are screaming on the steam forums about how the games is broken. "
I remember when they fixed prone spamming in BF2 and all the fundamentalists were making empty threats and ultimatums to DICE's deaf ears. As if they would actually say "You're right, fundies. We should re-break the game since you cannot be bothered to learn how to play the game correctly."
#13 Posted by gosukiller (2324 posts) -
@MrKlorox said:
" @jukezypoo said:
" Of course all the "pro's" (I say that sarcastically because those who are actually good can adapt) are screaming on the steam forums about how the games is broken. "
I remember when they fixed prone spamming in BF2 and all the fundamentalists were making empty threats and ultimatums to DICE's deaf ears. As if they would actually say "You're right, fundies. We should re-break the game since you cannot be bothered to learn how to play the game correctly." "
Save the Dolphins! I loved dolphindiving in BF2, but I'm glad they took it out eventualy. Kind of ruined the game for people who didn't know how to do it/didnt want to do it.
#14 Posted by s7evn (1072 posts) -

Well, the beta has been out for about a month and all the new features are really cool. I really like that hit detection was improved, although it made the game seem a little easier than I remember. 

#15 Posted by OmegaPirate (5523 posts) -

Man i played nothing but css for literally 4/5 years straight, all day every day (after work of course) in fact i reckon i still have my FBG account set up! haha 
 i kicked the habit - but man this seems tempting

#16 Posted by ComradeKritstov (693 posts) -
@MrKlorox said:
" And they still haven't added the ones already in existence from the console version of the Orange Box to regular HL2? "
They did.
#17 Posted by MrKlorox (11206 posts) -
@ComradeKritstov said:
" @MrKlorox said:
" And they still haven't added the ones already in existence from the console version of the Orange Box to regular HL2? "
They did. "
Ah! Sweet. I remember a user mod that did this a while back but it wasn't Valve sanctioned.
#18 Posted by tnecniv (50 posts) -

I noticed the big sale on steam.  Is the game still worth picking up, or is the community a small one now?

#19 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -

It's tempting now, but eeeeeeeeehhhhhhhh can someone talk me into playing this?

#20 Posted by MaFoLu (1858 posts) -

Is it true there are only regular servers now after the update, no gungame or stuff like that? 
One of my friends who usually plays on a ''jail'' server said they had removed those.

#21 Posted by kishan6 (1914 posts) -

css is probably the most balanced class based-ish competitive fps out there

#22 Posted by Partisan189 (76 posts) -
@tnecniv said:
" I noticed the big sale on steam.  Is the game still worth picking up, or is the community a small one now? "
It's the second most popular game on Steam just behind Modern Warfare 2, it's all about finding a good server with good people you can hang out with so your mileage will vary.
#23 Posted by Partisan189 (76 posts) -
@MaFoLu said:
" Is it true there are only regular servers now after the update, no gungame or stuff like that? One of my friends who usually plays on a ''jail'' server said they had removed those. "
Since Valve updated CSS to the Orange Box Source Engine all mods are obsolete so the modders just need to update them to the run on the new source engine. All the custom servers will be back to normal probably within a week or two.
#24 Posted by MaFoLu (1858 posts) -
@Partisan189 said:
" @MaFoLu said:
" Is it true there are only regular servers now after the update, no gungame or stuff like that? One of my friends who usually plays on a ''jail'' server said they had removed those. "
Since Valve updated CSS to the Orange Box Source Engine all mods are obsolete so the modders just need to update them to the run on the new source engine. All the custom servers will be back to normal probably within a week or two. "
Ah, that makes sense. Thought it sounded wierd for Valve to just cut out the modding community like that. 
My friends didn't know this though, so they got so pissed at Valve they decided to go on a strike and not play CS:S for a whole hour today in order to get the old CS:S back. Yes it's extreme i know.
#25 Posted by tnecniv (50 posts) -
@Partisan189: Alright, I just got the game.  Got any good servers?
#26 Posted by Mu5hy (124 posts) -

Gungame servers are up and running, and I'm sure all the other mods will be back to normal over the weekend.  If you're into gungame  69.162.97.18:27015 is probably the smoothest pub server I've played on since the update. 

They failed to fix any of the bugs in the previous version like seeing an enemy perform the nade throwing animation when he isn't throwing anything.  And added all of the glorious bugs from the Orangebox engine which DOD:S and to a lesser extent TF2 have been suffering from.  Some of the new bugs include teammates having enemy models, spawning in the ground, seeing people stationary on a part of the map when they really aren't there, people being invisible, and scopes getting stuck zoomed in.   

They've been running the CSS:Beta for about 6 weeks, and all of these problems were persistent in that.  I can understand why they want to update CSS in order to run it on MAC, and adding these achievements does make it more appealing to a lot of people.  But from someone who has been playing css since it came out in 04, and as far back to 1.1 in the original game;  I feel pretty slighted by this update because it didn't fix any of the old problems and just added new ones in the name of getting it on another platform and adding achievements.  Some say the netcode is improved, but its really just different. 

Also, from a competitive standpoint, Season10 of CEVO just ended and the playoffs were set to begin July 5th and this update changes the game in a drastic way for those playing competitively.    

#27 Posted by SoftButtCheeks (145 posts) -

Every server has that  "guy" that will bitch about how the new update has ruined CSS

but then he continues to play.

#28 Posted by PseudoKnight (5 posts) -

Is there a reason the achievements aren't showing up in GiantBomb? My beta version ones are, but regular CS:S ones don't. It's just a blank page.

http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/pseudoknight/achievements/?upid=2704638&sid=31576

Is this in progress or is this something wrong with my page?

Been lovin' the update. There's bugs, sure, but most of those will be ironed out like always.

#29 Posted by yates (378 posts) -
@PseudoKnight said:
"

Is there a reason the achievements aren't showing up in GiantBomb? My beta version ones are, but regular CS:S ones don't. It's just a blank page.

http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/pseudoknight/achievements/?upid=2704638&sid=31576

Is this in progress or is this something wrong with my page?

Been lovin' the update. There's bugs, sure, but most of those will be ironed out like always.

"
I don't think they've been added to the site. Mine aren't showing up either.
#30 Posted by Peewi (410 posts) -

It would appear that the achievements are missing from the XML file Giant Bomb attempts to get the info from. Here is mine. Notice that it has gameplay stats, but is missing any info about achievements. It appears the reason for Giant Bomb not having the achievements is on Valve's end.
#31 Posted by DaRaxor (33 posts) -

saying that i have two entries for css, one with 14x achievements and annother with 0, (im guessing one is the beta which was left over)

#32 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -
@Gamer_152 said:
" Encouragement to boot up Counter-Strike: Source again? This is good. I only played the game briefly before, my problem was that I found it hard to get to grips with the game and not be completely and consistently owned by every other player in the game. "
yeh, everyone is amazing at that game by now.
#33 Posted by Th3_James (2576 posts) -

I've always played cs on and off since 1999. There are times that I completely forget about it, and other times I will get really into it. It's a part of me and it always will be. I really hope that Valve creates a new engine and a new half life game, along with Counter Strike, thats all I want.

#34 Posted by yates (378 posts) -
@Th3_James said:
" I've always played cs on and off since 1999. There are times that I completely forget about it, and other times I will get really into it. It's a part of me and it always will be. I really hope that Valve creates a new engine and a new half life game, along with Counter Strike, thats all I want. "
I've been secretly looking for an excuse to play Counter-Strike again for years and Counter-Strike 2 would do just fine.
#35 Posted by Meltbrain (2968 posts) -

Does anybody know when the achievements will be synced with the GB achievements? There seems to be a list of them on there but none of my achievements are showing up yet.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.