GIANT BOMB, UNITE!

#1 Posted by 1nfinitum (200 posts) -

GENTELBEN!

For years the Counter-Strike: Source forum has been the black sheep on the Giant Bomb website, our numbers are few and our presence negligible. We have sat idly by and watched staffers like

RYAN DAVIS!

AND

JEFF GERSHWIN!

stamp out our life force with their hatred of counter strike! Until today, my friends we have gone relatively unnoticed in this Giant Bombs. Today, we

MAKE A STAND!

We must fight back and make our presence known, today is for freedom, today is the first day of the rest of our lives!

Come join us on Sunday Janruary 29th at 10:00 pm GMT on our new unofficial Giant Bomb Gun Game server! This server is FFA, that stands for FUN FOR ALL, the IP is 96.44.168.123, the server has 24 slots and is a mix of custom maps and stock maps.

DISCLAIMER: FFA STANDS FOR FREE FOR ALL, NOT FUN FOR ALL. THE GUY WHO WROTE THIS IS A DUMBASS.

This server will be a permanent fixture for the foreseeable future, so please add it to your favorites and join us when the time is most appropriate for you. Additionally, join the Giant Bomb Gaming Hub http://steamcommunity.com/groups/GBPCGH on steam for daily updates on what games we'll be playing and when.

#2 Posted by No0b0rAmA (1490 posts) -

Yay!

#3 Edited by Mahonay (828 posts) -

Maybe I can play more than two games now with out getting sniped nonstop by people jumping across doorways and hitting me with a head shot while they're in midair.

I've always enjoyed the concept of Counter-Strike. Just not the part where I get absolutely fucking wrecked any time I attempt to play. There's a general skill level that's not feasible for me to even get close to.

I'm definitely down to give this a go Sunday night.

#4 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3052 posts) -

I wish I still had CS, but I let a guy I went to high school with use my steam ID at a LAN party once and eventually he just annexed it, including my Half-life 2 and all its contents.

#5 Posted by Seedofpower (3930 posts) -

Sweet, I'm off and that's a sunday.

#6 Posted by phrali (646 posts) -

how do i aim down the sights?

#7 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

I schedule the CSS gamenight on a bi-weekly basis btw, not every Sunday.
Great job!

#8 Posted by SuperZamrod (269 posts) -

Sounds great!

#9 Posted by 49th (2758 posts) -

But does it have Battletoads in it?

#10 Posted by ESREVER (2692 posts) -

I'm there!

#11 Posted by clstirens (847 posts) -

@phrali said:

how do i aim down the sights?

You have to enable ADS mode (aim down the sight mode) by quickly hitting F10 and then enter

#12 Posted by AndrewB (7621 posts) -

@ShadowConqueror said:

I wish I still had CS, but I let a guy I went to high school with use my steam ID at a LAN party once and eventually he just annexed it, including my Half-life 2 and all its contents.

Psst... it's available all the time for nothing or next to nothing.

#13 Posted by Mahonay (828 posts) -

@AndrewB said:

@ShadowConqueror said:

Psst... it's available all the time for nothing or next to nothing.

20 bucks if you want to buy it from Steam.

#14 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3052 posts) -

@AndrewB: @Mahonay: I know, the thought of having to buy it again is a bummer, though. Maybe I'll pick it up again.

#15 Posted by AndrewB (7621 posts) -

@Mahonay: It goes on sale during many Steam sales for as low as $5, or as part of a Valve pack if one wanted to reclaim everything. I have a 25% off coupon from this Christmas, but if someone needed the game they'd be better off seeking someone with a 50% off or better coupon.

#16 Posted by CounterShock (420 posts) -

I'll see if I can remember to swing on by!

#17 Posted by Dagbiker (6976 posts) -

Ill jump in some time, but I was never good, and I havent played in a long time

#18 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

Awesome, I love gun game.

#19 Posted by Bam_D_Leprechaun (795 posts) -

i'm in!

#20 Posted by ESREVER (2692 posts) -

Couple things:

• How much is the game "Giant Bomb Gun Game"
  • Why is no one on the server?
  • Why is the ping so high? (Bouncing around the 150 mark for me)
  • annnnd free for all? I'd much rather it be fun for all and be regular GunGame. Unless that's what it is, and its just considered free for all because of the nature of gungame.
#21 Edited by WilltheMagicAsian (1545 posts) -

Sorry duder, Hidden Path killed CS:S for me when they updated it to the Orange Box Source engine and even more so when they changed the recoil patterns on the guns and made AWP shots 100 percent accurate while walking. I'd be down for Giant Bomb PQL CTF though.

#22 Edited by 1nfinitum (200 posts) -

@ESREVER:

• What?
  • The server is only a few days old, there's a scheduled event Sunday where there will be plenty of us
  • The ping is high because you're not physically near Los Angeles, CA.
  • It is free for all, no rounds gun game.

@WilltheMagicAsian: It's not vanilla CS:S and doesn't include AWPs, I don't see the problem.

#23 Edited by ESREVER (2692 posts) -

@1nfinitum: Sorry, I was being cute with the first point. I added the server to favorites, and under game name it says "Giant Bomb Gun Game" instead of "Counter-Strike: Source."

I'm not familiar with this type of GG at all, and I've played a bunch of GG. No rounds? I take it that its Turbo then. Kill a guy and automatically be given the next weapon. Die and respawn a few seconds later. Or is it Elimination? Die and have to wait for someone to kill the guy that killed you in order to respawn. Never saw a mode where you could shoot anyone you wanted. Its always been CT vs T, just that only 1 player would ultimately win.

The still shouldn't be that high. I'm in Texas and have connected to servers further away than that and had a lower ping still. We'll see how it plays out on Sunday, I guess.

Oh, and I hope to gawd that there is no "no-block" mod on it. I hate no-block in servers. Always messes up my knifing routine.

EDIT* I'm gonna jump in it now and just hang out and wait to see if anybody else wants to join in.

#24 Posted by Mahonay (828 posts) -

@1nfinitum said:

@ESREVER:

• What?
  • The server is only a few days old, there's a scheduled event Sunday where there will be plenty of us

@WilltheMagicAsian: It's not vanilla CS:S and doesn't include AWPs, I don't see the problem.

Don't stress yourself about it duder. You're never going to please everyone. It was cool of you to do this. Looking forward to it :)

#25 Edited by 1nfinitum (200 posts) -

@ESREVER: No-block is definitely not there, and it may just be that my VPS host is kinda iffy so I don't have the greatest internet.. It's great for people here on the west coast, but I definitely do regret not getting a dallas server.

Edit: I'm hopping on now if anyone wants to join me, I'm going to cycle through the custom maps editing the spawn points, so come right in if you like

#26 Posted by ESREVER (2692 posts) -

@1nfinitum: I'll be there in a few minutes! I forgot I hadn't installed CS:S on this PC yet T-T

@Mahonay said:

@1nfinitum said:

@ESREVER:

• What?

Don't stress yourself about it duder. You're never going to please everyone. It was cool of you to do this. Looking forward to it :)

Oooh, I didn't mean to sound un-appreciative! It's still an awesome thing for him to do for the community. The certain style of GG has me a bit puzzled still, but I'll try anything at least once... mostly. I'm excited to return to the greatest competitive FPS there has ever been.

#27 Posted by katanalauncher (215 posts) -

It would be awesome if we have a CSS TNT with nothing but gun game/mini game/deathrun.

#28 Posted by ESREVER (2692 posts) -

@katanalauncher said:

It would be awesome if we have a CSS TNT with nothing but gun game/mini game/deathrun.

Deathrun is the devil. Next you'll suggest JailBreak! I approve of mini games though. Some silly fun to be had with those.

#29 Posted by katanalauncher (215 posts) -

@ESREVER said:

@katanalauncher said:

Deathrun is the devil. Next you'll suggest JailBreak! I approve of mini games though. Some silly fun to be had with those.

With some carefully chosen deathrun maps it could be a lot of fun, and fits the ridiculous tone of TnT.

#30 Posted by ESREVER (2692 posts) -

@katanalauncher: That's true.

@1nfinitum: Ok, after playing a couple of rounds, here are my thoughts on the server:

• ping wasn't an issue
  • Free for all is still a weird thing to be in combination with GunGame, but might be okay if the "random" spawn points are well thought out and placed.
  • Although it might be okay, I'm not sure about its lasting power. It shouldn't be too hard to get a populated server nowadays since there are so few quality GG servers (in my opinion). Just gotta make sure its fun and enjoyable enough for people to come back to it.
  • Needs a way to earn more grenades after using your only one on nade level. No unlimited nades though, that just takes the skill out of it. (Not sure if this was fixed already after I left)
  • GunGame sounds need fixin! Although not necessary, its still a key component to the GG experience. I wanna knife people for 3 levels and then have the star theme play and I get to run fast for a short period.
  • Despite people talking smack about texture/arena maps, they work best for GunGame for a reason. There's a lot of trash out there, but quite a bit of excellent custom made maps designed for GG. de_rats, though an awesome map, would just be way too big for the GunGame experience.
  • Was generally pretty fun. Better than what I had expected at first.

Now for those curious, here's my ideal GunGame settings:

• GunGame - reversed or original is fine. sometimes random (but random would be the same for every person. ie, everyone starts and progresses to the same random guns, just in a different order from the previous match.
  • Elimination - You stay dead until the round ends, or the person who killed you dies.
  • No turbo - Knife kills were made to be so much better without turbo. Turbo is when you kill someone and you're automatically given the next gun. Non-turbo is where you have to respawn first before you get the next gun. Or you could skip levels by knifing people.
  • No 'no-block' - this mod was the downfall of GunGame in my opinion.
  • Fun arena like maps - Maps that prevent spawn killing/camping are hard to find, but they make the experience less frustrating when you just don't respawn into bullets. As long as lego_mafia_arena is in the rotation, I'm happy.

I guess that's about it. It's not for everyone, but its what I enjoy most. I still had fun playing with the folks that played tonight though. In the end, its just about who you're playing with that really makes the experience enjoyable. I hope we can see this server grow into a popular CS:S server, much like the TM2 one.

#31 Edited by 1nfinitum (200 posts) -

@ESREVER: Thanks for the critique, I totally agree with you on 90% of what you said. I tried to set it so people earned nades but for some reason it just went straight to unlimited, so I'm going to try and fix that tomorrow. As for everything else it's worthwhile input... I actually might give no turbo a shot with the current setup, it seems interesting. I've been looking for arena-like maps, it's difficult but I'm looking.

THE GUN GAME SOUNDS. I need to know more about that so I can figure out why you weren't hearing them. Ideally I'd like to get a bunch of sound clips taken from giant bomb videos and songs and use them in place of the default gun game sounds, that will take some work though.

Edit: Even in it's current state one of the randoms that came in today and did some 1v1 with me after everybody had left said it was one of the only GG servers he has favorited in a looong time. I'm glad to hear a positive response already, even though I think it's far from perfect.

#32 Posted by CounterShock (420 posts) -

Isn't that 2:00 PM for PST? I just joined and I was the only one there...

#33 Posted by 1nfinitum (200 posts) -

@CounterShock: We were on a different server for a bit but came here after about half an hour, you should join the steam group I listed in the post they make events for everything we do.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.