Why is this the most fun online game ever?

#1 Posted by banned8921 (1246 posts) -

Isn't it weird after so many new games come out that I always come back to counter strike source Ill admit call of duty 4, gears of war,and medieval 2 total war took me awy for a while but I just keep coming back to css? is it because its so realistic is it because if you suck you suck? and people who are good are good? i think thats it I like games that are hard to learn and hard to master the games like call of duty 4 are easy to learn and hard to master so they get boring pretty quickly.

#2 Posted by DarkLegend (1387 posts) -

Halo 2 and Mario Kart, both are epic.

#3 Posted by Jecrell (241 posts) -

It really just depends on your taste, for instance I know people that still play Neverwinter Nights religiously.

#4 Posted by AEKtzis (106 posts) -

lol I know people who still play Baldurs Gate II

#5 Posted by Absurd (2934 posts) -

Yeah, I've always been coming back to this game, It's just so addicting.

#6 Posted by Termite (2398 posts) -

Yeah I used to play CS a lot. Kinda stopped now though

#7 Posted by Togechu64 (46 posts) -

probably because it was such a easily runnable, accesable, multiplayer game with good working mechanics that attracted so many people in a virtually devoid world of MMOs.

#8 Posted by Alex_V (614 posts) -

I think it's because the game is essentially simple - rounds take a few minutes at most, and the maps are fairly confined. After counter-strike, I find other games with bigger maps and more complicated objectives just don't have that 'classic' feel, and get bogged down in large-scale combat. With CS you just can't escape from the essential survival strategies.

#9 Posted by NeoTheta (222 posts) -

Eh. I personally don't find it the most fun online game ever. A lot of the people I meet on it are either anti-social or complete jerks, which is probably the reason I don't enjoy the game that much anymore. It's nearly all about the people you're playing with, and it's just been down the drain recently. Still love the game though. Love the ability to change the skins to whatever I want. And the custom maps rock as well. I just need to find a server to stick with.

#10 Posted by Alex_V (614 posts) -
NeoTheta said:
"Eh. I personally don't find it the most fun online game ever. A lot of the people I meet on it are either anti-social or complete jerks, which is probably the reason I don't enjoy the game that much anymore. It's nearly all about the people you're playing with, and it's just been down the drain recently. Still love the game though. Love the ability to change the skins to whatever I want. And the custom maps rock as well. I just need to find a server to stick with.
"
Not sure you can blame a game for the company you keep. I've made a lot of good friends through CSS - it also helped me through a messy divorce :).
#11 Posted by Nobility (295 posts) -

I can't speak for everyone but if you have a community for this game, it's very interesting to see people who have different objectives work together.  That and all the funny music you see in between matches.

#12 Posted by carzy (275 posts) -
Alex_V said:
"NeoTheta said:
"Eh. I personally don't find it the most fun online game ever. A lot of the people I meet on it are either anti-social or complete jerks, which is probably the reason I don't enjoy the game that much anymore. It's nearly all about the people you're playing with, and it's just been down the drain recently. Still love the game though. Love the ability to change the skins to whatever I want. And the custom maps rock as well. I just need to find a server to stick with.
"
Not sure you can blame a game for the company you keep. I've made a lot of good friends through CSS - it also helped me through a messy divorce :).
"
you think css community is bad try playing some halo 3 some day ;)
#13 Posted by nickystixx (180 posts) -

It is the most fun ever because it has a semi realistic feel to it. you have to actually aim to get kills and it is very challenging. and yes because the rounds are over so quick. you only have 1 life for each round, it makes you feel like you want to survive.

#14 Posted by phatkav (304 posts) -

Because the game is awesome?

#15 Edited by AbStr4cT (7 posts) -
my only problem with counter strike are "1337 h4x0r" 10 year olds
#16 Posted by DrVanNostren (154 posts) -
AbStr4cT said:
"my only problem with counter strike are "1337 h4x0r" 10 year olds"
Yeah, I know what you mean, but I agree with the OP too, I do keep coming back to this game. It is just awesome.
#17 Posted by Rowr (5474 posts) -

counterstrike > counterstrike source.

Call of duty 4 is the new counterstrike though.

#18 Posted by Sushbag (327 posts) -
Rowr said:
"counterstrike > counterstrike source.

"
Your mom is the new counterstrike. Faggot.

There's a bunch of reasons why CS is the best at the end of the day, but one of my favorite aspects of it is that there's enough luck involved so that every once in a while a total noob can pwn a master player, leaving the master bamboozled. So new players still feel they have a chance, yet the game is mercilessly unforgiving if you really want to get good at it. Takes a huge amount of time to reach expert level CS, I respect anyone who is good enough to outplay me.
#19 Posted by xruntime (1920 posts) -

I think it's not that its fun, but more so that it's addicting. What makes a game addicting? Repetition. In World of Warcraft, repetitive grinding is what makes the experience addicting. In Counterstrike, playing essentially the same round over and over again until the map changes is the repetition that makes this game also addicting.

#20 Posted by Sushbag (327 posts) -
xruntime said:
"I think it's not that its fun, but more so that it's addicting. What makes a game addicting? Repetition. In World of Warcraft, repetitive grinding is what makes the experience addicting. In Counterstrike, playing essentially the same round over and over again until the map changes is the repetition that makes this game also addicting."
No two CS rounds are ever identical, unlike fighting a mob in WoW for example. The rush of pulling off an underdog victory in Counter-Strike, or getting that knife kill on the douchebag who's been AWPing you is a real rush. Real, heart-pumping, fist-waving adrenalin rush. Very few games match that experience. I think what you mean is that there's always a reason to keep playing. "Just one more round..." kind of thing.
#21 Edited by Rowr (5474 posts) -
Sushbag said:
"Rowr said:
"counterstrike > counterstrike source.

"
Your mom is the new counterstrike. Faggot.

There's a bunch of reasons why CS is the best at the end of the day, but one of my favorite aspects of it is that there's enough luck involved so that every once in a while a total noob can pwn a master player, leaving the master bamboozled. So new players still feel they have a chance, yet the game is mercilessly unforgiving if you really want to get good at it. Takes a huge amount of time to reach expert level CS, I respect anyone who is good enough to outplay me."
You sure sound like a CS player. I thought i might get a response out of that one.

Sushbag said:
"xruntime said:
"I think it's not that its fun, but more so that it's addicting. What makes a game addicting? Repetition. In World of Warcraft, repetitive grinding is what makes the experience addicting. In Counterstrike, playing essentially the same round over and over again until the map changes is the repetition that makes this game also addicting."
No two CS rounds are ever identical, unlike fighting a mob in WoW for example. The rush of pulling off an underdog victory in Counter-Strike, or getting that knife kill on the douchebag who's been AWPing you is a real rush. Real, heart-pumping, fist-waving adrenalin rush. Very few games match that experience. I think what you mean is that there's always a reason to keep playing. "Just one more round..." kind of thing."
After a while the rounds begin to become pretty samey. Everyone stops at the same chokepoints, uses the same strategies.

Its much like Cod 4.

#22 Posted by Demilich (2599 posts) -

TF2 is more fun, addictive, replayable, rewarding and has a better community than any other online FPS out there.

#23 Edited by Rowr (5474 posts) -
Demilich said:
"TF2 is more fun, addictive, replayable, rewarding and has a better community than any other online FPS out there."
Agree.

Its funny that it has such a polar opposite community than CS. Maybe they all grew up.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.