Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Counter-Strike

Franchise »

Counter-Strike is a popular team-based first-person shooter that pits terrorists against counter-terrorists.

Can Any Game Quick-Draw Counter-Strike On PC?

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By KaosAngel

Sup fools,

Just got done playing some Team Fortress 2, aka Hat Simulator and best team based idling game, and I noticed that both CS games are still top on the Steam list.  1.6 well over a decade old now with CS:S hitting up it's decade birthday in a couple years.  Counter-Strike has yet to be topped by any FPS on PC, why is that?  Why do you think Counter-Strike is so popular when games like COD reinvent the wheel?

I for one think it's due to free maps, but then I realized that I only play Office when I play CS so that point isn't valid.  Other times I think it's because there's less kids...but then I was called a faggot by a tween earlier on CS so that again wasn't valid.  Some might say legacy, and that might be true.  

Anyways, why is Counter-Strike still so popular and what game has the best chance to beat it?
    scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By scarace360

I think so many people still play counter strike cause its counter strike. But i dont think it will be there for long. Cause ive asked some people if they wanted to play counter strike and they didnt know what it was. im scared for the future.

amomjc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By amomjc

Not sure about CS:S, or whether this goes for the entire Counterstrike player base, but 2 LAN party places around here keep the game running on at least 30+ computers each, maybe thats contributing to the times?

Sarkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Sarkhan

I think cs is so big because of the versatility. Even i enjoy abit of cs, though only gun games. And with ppl i know :)

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By AhmadMetallic

it's a popular mouse'n'keyboard online FPS that runs on pentium 4 processors

not everybody can afford high end tech to run Blops and BF3
    shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By shiftymagician

No other game (that I currently know of at least) allowed me to play a game where shooting the floor under my enemies sends them to a pit of death, or surf geometry in a weird fashion whilst killing foes in mid-air, or even going through trap-maps and many other wacky things like the good old gun game. 

Variety of maps thanks to mod communities are one of the key reasons for this, as well as the fact that a lot of people love to go back and play a classic game of CT's vs T's from time to time.  I also go back from time to time for either a gun game or hopefully find a Breakfloor server.  There are many classic games that never get boring for a lot of people and Counter-Strike is just another one of those.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By ajamafalous
    @KaosAngel said:
    " Team Fortress 2, aka Hat Simulator and best team based idling game, "
    Lol'd.
    benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By benjaebe

It's just a really solid game. It runs great on a ton of computers, Valve has kept it updated and the userbase is huge so new maps are coming out all the time. Most games don't have that kind of mod support, so I doubt anything's going to measure up to it for a long time.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By LordXavierBritish

It's easy to get into, incredibly difficult to master, has few means of persistence outside of your own skill level, has a dedicated community of players that will consistently kick your ass whilst simultaneously teaching you something new about the game, and it's easily one of the simplest games to mod and has dozens of variations and game types as a result.

That being said, I don't play CS and I'd rather stick to my pretty, invaluable hats.
    Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Azteck

I don't like Counter Strike. It's just not any fun.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By DystopiaX

low system requirements and because a rather large community of players decided that that was their game and don't play anything else, at least MP wise.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
    deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It runs on even crappy computers. And speaking from personal experience only, it just feels really tight. I can't help but base the feel of other FPS' on how CS feels.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.