Counter strike : Global Offensive to be announced?

#1 Posted by OmegaPirate (5523 posts) -

Taken from a few Twitter tags and rumours nipping round, Valve are expected to announce a new Counter Strike entry within the next 24 hours 
 
http://twitter.com/#!/search?q=%23csgo 
 
A few rumoured details; 
 

Planned to be released Q1 2012
Focuses on 5v5 competition
Press release within 24 hours from VALVe
Plays on an updated source engine
Individual & Team rankings
New Guns added
New Grenades
Dust & Aztec major revamp
Ammo is free 
  
With a ladder system very similar to that seen in sc2. 
 
Of course at this stage there is next to nothing to go on but given how widespread these rumblings are, i'm kinda down for this, i Played 1.5/6 and source for the majority of my teen years and loved every fucking minute - only stopping when 3rd party organised ladders and leagues began to grate. 
I absolutely adore the sc2 ranking system, and would play it a hell of a lot more if i was any darn good - however a similar thing in CS would literally take over any free time i had. 
 
What do you think, we chasing a ghost here? and if not, does a new cs interest you? what would you like to see from it?
#2 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

If this was 10 years ago, I would have been all over it.

Now, however, I think I have outgrown the CS style of gaming. Even if I could reclaim my former skill level, I doubt I'd enjoy myself.

Pretty cool for people interested in competitive gaming though, as Counter Strike requires far more skill than the vast majority of FPSes, particularly the modern breed of Modern Warfares and Halos.

#3 Edited by ShiftyMagician (2129 posts) -

There are a ton of people who will love to try this supposedly new CS out.  Last I remember the CS games are still heavily played even today so this will be pretty interesting.  However only 10 players feels kinda limiting for a CS game if this turns out to be true.  Even if the game is made to be centred around a completely competitive environment, reducing the numbers artificially to an audience in CS that just like to have fun with large TvCT teams sounds kind of silly. 
 
Let's see if the game turns out to be real before we randomly speculate further, shall we?

#4 Posted by eroticfishcake (7782 posts) -

Isn't Tactical Inversion more or less the updated version of CS considering how it is made by one of the original developers of CS? I enjoy a good game of CS every now and again but Tim says, I've sort of outgrown this style of shooter. Wouldn't mind getting into it again though at some point.

#5 Posted by 5socks5 (188 posts) -

Interesting. But I am much more exited about DOTA 2.

#6 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

No fucking way.

#7 Posted by solidlife (877 posts) -

box it with HL3!

#8 Posted by Vitor (2810 posts) -

@5socks5 said:

Interesting. But I am much more exited about DOTA 2.

Hell, 2 new game announcements from Valve not only in the same year, but in the same MONTH?! Crazy times. Next thing you'll know they'll anounce Episode 3...

#9 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2682 posts) -

Counterstrike (and Source) are still the best competitive shooters available, even now. Nothing has ever surpassed them (just look at the most played games on PC. #1 and #2 are always CS and CSS).

This is unbelievably exciting.

#10 Posted by VicRattlehead (1398 posts) -

i don't half miss the days of competitive CS 1.6, never was a fan of source but ill give this a go to see if it can rekindle the love i once had for the game

#11 Posted by OmegaPirate (5523 posts) -
@Vitor said:

@5socks5 said:

Interesting. But I am much more exited about DOTA 2.

Hell, 2 new game announcements from Valve not only in the same year, but in the same MONTH?! Crazy times. Next thing you'll know they'll anounce Episode 3...

Now that's just CRAZY TALK
#12 Posted by Management (596 posts) -

Half-Life 3. Something, something...

#13 Posted by 49th (2691 posts) -

I wonder what they will have in the inevitable micro-transaction store.

#14 Posted by sirdesmond (1234 posts) -

@Rolyatkcinmai said:

Counterstrike (and Source) are still the best competitive shooters available, even now. Nothing has ever surpassed them (just look at the most played games on PC. #1 and #2 are always CS and CSS).

This is unbelievably exciting.

I'm with you on this.

While I don't find myself playing Counter-Strike: Source all that often nowadays (although I was hooked back in my high school days), it is mostly due to the extremely modded nature of all the servers rather than a dislike for the game. I just don't want to play on a Surf server or see guys levitating on a Warcraft mod server.

I am extremely excited though not only to see a new CS title, but to get in on the ground floor of another one, much as I did with CS:S.

#15 Posted by ShiftyMagician (2129 posts) -
@OmegaPirate said:
@Vitor said:

@5socks5 said:

Interesting. But I am much more exited about DOTA 2.

Hell, 2 new game announcements from Valve not only in the same year, but in the same MONTH?! Crazy times. Next thing you'll know they'll anounce Episode 3...

Now that's just CRAZY TALK
Let's keep the crazy going and say they they want to aim for a new 'orange box' along with that.
#16 Posted by Seedofpower (3925 posts) -

@Management said:

Half-Life 3. Something, something...

My thoughts exactly.

#17 Posted by Droop (1828 posts) -

God damn it..

#18 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

you know what would be cool if they announce it today and it shows up on steam a couple hours later.

#19 Posted by kalmis (1558 posts) -

Sure why not. It's been a long time since I played CS last

#20 Posted by JerichoBlyth (1044 posts) -

YES! I fucking called it!
 
NEW COUNTERSTRIKE GAME! At fucking last!

#21 Posted by Vitor (2810 posts) -

@ShiftyMagician said:

@OmegaPirate said:
@Vitor said:

@5socks5 said:

Interesting. But I am much more exited about DOTA 2.

Hell, 2 new game announcements from Valve not only in the same year, but in the same MONTH?! Crazy times. Next thing you'll know they'll anounce Episode 3...

Now that's just CRAZY TALK
Let's keep the crazy going and say they they want to aim for a new 'orange box' along with that.

Well, if both DOTA 2 and the new CS are F2P, that would make their new orange box even better value than the last...

#22 Posted by left4doof (286 posts) -

Dammit I want me some half life .

#23 Edited by Thor_Molecules (732 posts) -
#24 Posted by AndrewB (7491 posts) -

In other news, I'm finally getting back into semi-competitive first person shooters. 
 
BUT WHERE THE **** IS MY HALF-LIFE?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.