Agent, The First Crackdown 2 Animated Short Is Hip

Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

Our second hum-sniffing, building-bounding romp in Crackdown 2's ridiculous Pacific City will differ from the first, not only because creator Ruffian Games has rebuilt the open-world metropolitan playground, but also because of glorious addition of "freaks"--mutants who go bump in the night (and apparently like to kill guys when they're not busy bumping).

This addition of mutants--and the decade-long span between the two titles--leaves some unanswered question. The good news is that Ruffian appears to be up to the task of answerin'. Company senior designer Ed Campbell and notable comic duder Alex Ronald (Lobo, Judge Dredd) have teamed up to create a cartoon mini-series that seeks to bridge the gap between the two games, as well as address the Freaks' origin story and several other questions that you may or may not have depending on how seriously you're taking the games' respective stories. The first episode, Home Truths, is available for your viewing pleasure just below this text crap. You'll notice that it's quite violent, and sports some hip art.

Machima has the exclusive on the cartoons, according to a recent Microsoft press release, which also revealed the grim series' release schedule. Expect a new episode in just a few days, and three more in June. Each of these will eventually trickle down to Xbox LIVE Marketplace as a free download, it seems. The first is available over the service right now if you'd rather watch it on your 40-plus inch monster.

Crackdown 2 hits July 6th, 2010 which just so happens to be the one-year anniversary of Croatia electing its first female Prime minister, Jadranka Kosor. The more you know!

#1 Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

Our second hum-sniffing, building-bounding romp in Crackdown 2's ridiculous Pacific City will differ from the first, not only because creator Ruffian Games has rebuilt the open-world metropolitan playground, but also because of glorious addition of "freaks"--mutants who go bump in the night (and apparently like to kill guys when they're not busy bumping).

This addition of mutants--and the decade-long span between the two titles--leaves some unanswered question. The good news is that Ruffian appears to be up to the task of answerin'. Company senior designer Ed Campbell and notable comic duder Alex Ronald (Lobo, Judge Dredd) have teamed up to create a cartoon mini-series that seeks to bridge the gap between the two games, as well as address the Freaks' origin story and several other questions that you may or may not have depending on how seriously you're taking the games' respective stories. The first episode, Home Truths, is available for your viewing pleasure just below this text crap. You'll notice that it's quite violent, and sports some hip art.

Machima has the exclusive on the cartoons, according to a recent Microsoft press release, which also revealed the grim series' release schedule. Expect a new episode in just a few days, and three more in June. Each of these will eventually trickle down to Xbox LIVE Marketplace as a free download, it seems. The first is available over the service right now if you'd rather watch it on your 40-plus inch monster.

Crackdown 2 hits July 6th, 2010 which just so happens to be the one-year anniversary of Croatia electing its first female Prime minister, Jadranka Kosor. The more you know!

#2 Edited by BigAT (71 posts) -

Cartoons to sell games?  I suppose I've heard of worse ideas...

#3 Posted by The_Interrupter (43 posts) -

Cool.

#4 Posted by Creamypies (4105 posts) -

This was pretty good! What a fun fact too! Long live Jadranka Kosor!

#5 Posted by immike (714 posts) -

Hmm..weird. I never considered a Crackdown storyline, so I am unsure how I feel about this.

#6 Posted by steve86uk (42 posts) -

Kinda liked it. 

#7 Posted by cabelhigh (247 posts) -

holy crap, this site has so much written content now...
it's great

#8 Posted by Milkman (17588 posts) -

Seems like the videos would need to be a lot longer to actually be able to explain anything.

#9 Posted by Vinchenzo (6192 posts) -

One day before my birthday.

#10 Posted by Corpsegrinder (78 posts) -

Are you Robocop?

#11 Posted by Jeffsekai (7060 posts) -

HIP? 

#12 Posted by Venatio (4495 posts) -

Looked awesome, wish it were longer though

#13 Posted by crusader8463 (14441 posts) -

Shame this game is only on the consoles, it looks like it could be some mindless fun for a day or two.

#14 Posted by Derios (423 posts) -

BradN dropping knowledge

#15 Posted by ZmillA (2304 posts) -

too bad the game looks like the first, visually (well OK a little more grime).

#16 Posted by Cube (4366 posts) -

I told you we were 1 step closer to Kotaku shit. 

Now we're 2 steps closer.

#17 Posted by Kyle (2327 posts) -

Looks dope.

#18 Posted by TheYear20XX (428 posts) -

Cam Clarke spotted!

#19 Posted by Flinty (17 posts) -

And already it's got more story than the first :P.

#20 Edited by TRAYNREK (113 posts) -

I can tell Giant Bomb will have E3 suitably covered with Brad N and Matt doing their thing.

#21 Posted by TerraDelu (501 posts) -

Well done Agent.

#22 Posted by TheCrazedMadman (27 posts) -

*spoilers for the first game*

Why the hell is the Announcer still placing blame on everyone else? Do they expect us the forget what he did at the end of the first game? Catalina Thorn my ass, the cause of all this was fricking YOU! 

Also, I really hated his condescending tone throughout the game....freaking annoying.

#23 Posted by louiedog (2337 posts) -

If we're going to be getting a lot more news content, I hope the RSS feed starts updating more frequently.

#24 Posted by Yummylee (22746 posts) -

The more I know...the more I forget.

#25 Posted by orshick (176 posts) -

this video appeals to my sensibilities

#26 Posted by Tuckertime (44 posts) -

DAMN YOU CATALINA THORNE! 

#27 Posted by selbie (2013 posts) -

The more I know.... the more I don't care

#28 Edited by MaddProdigy (1041 posts) -
@ZmillA:  This is a cartoon trailer for the story of the game btw.
 Separately, I never really payed much attention to Crackdown "story" but it's interesting their pushing a story this time around, and I'll for sure keep up on the cartoons. Can't wait for the game, the first one was weeks and weeks of mindless awsomeness.
#29 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

I like the first game because it lacked a story, it reminded me of old arcade beat 'em ups.  There didn't need to be anything more to the game than find gang, kill gang.  And maybe a friend could jump in with you.  I also loved the transforming vehicles, the fact your player morphed as he grew stronger and that you could become more powerful than everything else in the game combined, so on repeat play throughs you could more or less fly across the buildings and punch out the final boss in a single blow.

I'm pleased to see ALL of these things have been removed.

#30 Posted by MachoFantastico (4965 posts) -

CATALINA THORNE , YOUR THE BAIN OF MY EXISTENCE.

#31 Posted by wonderhare (350 posts) -

Agent Honor!

#32 Posted by grasslunatic (82 posts) -

Hey Brad, what's your shoe size?

#33 Posted by iFail (236 posts) -

Machima?

#34 Posted by atomhawk (11 posts) -

Lovely stuff!

#35 Posted by Norusdog (346 posts) -

oh look.  crackdown meets resident evil.  what bullshit is this?  another fucking zombie game.  fuck you MS

#36 Posted by FuzzYLemoN (1600 posts) -

Fuck, I thought this would be about Agent... until I finished reading the headline. Oh, Crackdown... great... *sadpanda*

#37 Posted by Spiritof (2141 posts) -

This video failed to show the the tallest building in the city and then failed to tell me I can climb it.

#38 Posted by Rio (595 posts) -

so anyone else getting a twisted metal chill watching this trailer?

#39 Posted by Bouke (1402 posts) -

I'm not really excited for Crackdown 2, but this trailer looks cool!
#40 Posted by BraveToaster (12588 posts) -

that was weak

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.