Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Crackdown 2

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Jul 06, 2010

Crackdown 2 is the sequel to the popular open-world supercop game. Players return to Pacific City, where rampaging mutants and resistance groups vie for control of the streets. The sequel adds four-player co-op along with competitive multiplayer.

But is it actually worse?

Deusoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Deusoma

So Crackdown 2 is generally getting lower scores than the original Crackdown, and I get the impression from a lot of the reviews that it's because there's very little change from the original formula. What I want to know is, does the game actually deserve the lower scores, or is it just being punished for not being innovative? 

Basically, if I'd never played Crackdown, would I enjoy Crackdown 2 just as much as I would have enjoyed the original?

PATERSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By PATERSON

As far as I see it, it looks EXACTLY the same but with 4 player co-op.

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By sins_of_mosin

After beating the second game, I prefer the first game.  The first seemed to just have a better flow and plot.  I really dislike how the second game's streets are so barron and the whole freak thing is just filler.

Avatar image for doctorscribbler
    DoctorScribbler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By DoctorScribbler

First day I got the game, turned on the xbox, played, set the online joinable thing to "anyone can join" and after 3 hours of playing, I had 2 players randomly join my game. While I was building up my stats, they conquered beacons and freak lairs for me and then for the end level, I just sorta did stuff while they killed everything. Game beat with a very disappointing ending video. 

It's the same game + 4-player co-op, that's it... Oh, and rogue orbs. They could have at least made the jumping more fluid... I really hate the static feeling of jumping ledges and just sorta "free-falling" or lingering until I grab onto a ledge... Assasin's Creed's gotta right but that's a whole other topic.

kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By kishan6
    @DoctorScribbler: dude don ki urself jumping was always the best part about crackdown
    pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By pweidman

Yes it actually is.  I was hoping for the same basic fun from the first game, but Crackdown 2 is just boring and uber repetitive.  The 4 player co-op doesn't help either.  It was a huge let down  for me.  The shooting controls are so sloppy, the lack of any resemblance of a story, the sameness only worse gameplay-wise, the lack of interesting enemies, the inconsistency of climbing and finding places to get ahold of ledges, etc.... the list goes on....sad excuse for a sequel is all. And I'm pretty forgiving about games but I pretty much hated this one.  Disappoint!   Grrrrrrr.....seriously.
    Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Afroman269

I wouldn't say worse but just more of the same.

niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By niamahai

it's the best game where you turn off your brain and collect green shinies

while waiting for a better game to come.

really.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I would say it is far worse. I really enjoyed the first Crackdown, with the different gangs and tactical locations and everything. The zombie approach was a bad move. It definitely kills the style of the original game, and really makes it seem boring and cliche. The game also isn't as structured as the original. So much of it just feels and looks messy. Returning to the same city was kind of a drag too, especially considering so many orbs were in the same places. I can't really think of any way that the game is an improvement over the original.

If you're interested in Crackdown, play the first one instead. I found the sequel to be incredibly boring, uninspired, and basically a waste of my time.

Avatar image for doctorscribbler
    DoctorScribbler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By DoctorScribbler

And the worst part is there are no generals or lieutenants or bosses really... Just those stupid freak things that disappear. Yeah, "repetitive" is an understatement.

BunkerBuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By BunkerBuster

Four player co-op makes it tolerable. Playing by yourself is the worst thing you can do because it removes the fun from the actual game. Not playing with other people and taking the game seriously are the most likely reasons for the low scores.

Also: From what I've played this year, it might be one of the worst games so far.

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Bigandtasty

I tried the demo of Crackdown 2 and I don't like how it feels less floaty and more grounded. I think the floatiness matched the superhero style of Crackdown much better. And for some reason, the lock-on feels worse. I think it is less likely to accidentally target a random car in Crackdown 1.

Also, defending beacons seems boring. Can't imagine doing that for essentially the entirety of the game.

These are just my initial impressions from the demo, and arguably minor nitpicks, but that's just my personal preference. I'll still pick up Crackdown 2 at bargain bin prices.

Speaking of prices, Crackdown 1 is sometimes available for under $10 new (I got it for about $8; bundled with Dark Sector and a play and charge battery for $16 total).

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By BraveToaster

The story was shit, and the missions were boring. Yeah, I think it deserves those low scores.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ryanwho

I thought it was funny when Jeff made fun of "Starcraft 1.5 derhur" people when he did the exact same thing in the Crackdown 2 QL. No self awareness. 

BunkerBuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By BunkerBuster
    @Bigandtasty said:
    " Also, defending beacons seems boring. Can't imagine doing that for essentially the entirety of the game.
    It's not the entirety of the game...you do that exact same mission nine times and the game ends, HUGE difference. :P
    CharleyTony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By CharleyTony

my way of seeing it: 
    Crackdown 2 is better than Crackdown 1. There is no denying this. But it is just a little better. So if you played the first one  3 years ago, this feels almost like a joke (or for some a small expansion pack). If you never played either, you would like the second one better. The thing is that right now you go to the game store and see Crackdown (1) at $10 to $20 & Crackdown 2 at $40 to $60, then it begins to be a had choice. Crack down 2 is not 3 times better than the first game ! 

if they had released a DLC Expansion and made a new game on disc that was the old game and its expansion ... that would have been the best of both worlds...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.