Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Crackdown 2

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Jul 06, 2010

Crackdown 2 is the sequel to the popular open-world supercop game. Players return to Pacific City, where rampaging mutants and resistance groups vie for control of the streets. The sequel adds four-player co-op along with competitive multiplayer.

My odd position with Crackdown 2.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BestUsernameEver

Okay, let me first state that I wanted a sequel to the highly fun Crackdown game. Let me also say that I wanted a sequel that didn't stray too far away from the original recipe. But, my last wish for the sequel, was to be developed by Realtime worlds again, and now that last point, has become the most important of all three. Instead, Crackdown 2 is announced (which was awesome), then footage and coverage came out to show that they didn't stray from the mechanics, or anything really. I was almost exstatic at this point, not only did a sequel to one of my favorite games on this generation head my way, it also was pretty much what I wanted. 
        Then I learned Realtime wasn't going to make the sequel, and instead, were focusing on an MMO for the same release window (summer '10). Well, I thought, at least it will be a more awesome version of what I loved. Not so. Ruffian, the new developers seemed to literally not do anything with the game. The city is now worse, the feel is somehow compromised, and it just feels more janky. Jim Sterling's review sums it up perfectly. Such a sad end to what seemed so promising a year ago.  
       Jim's review really did hit the nail on the head and the review score seemed somehow appropriate seeing the whole package.  What do you guys think, does making the sequel exactly the same seem better or worse in the end?

pepsipat1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By pepsipat1
    @BestUsernameEver:
    you know what you should do play crackdown 1. Then you can get access to the halo 3 beta....wait that already happened. Um just play more of the awesomeness that is crackdown, forget about the mediocre crackdown 2. And play halo 3.
    Avatar image for 21stcenturyjesus
    21stCenturyJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By 21stCenturyJesus

nothing about this position seems odd.
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By BestUsernameEver
    @21stCenturyJesus said:
    " nothing about this position seems odd. "
    Going from my most loved game straight down to insulting territory doesn't seem odd to you?
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BestUsernameEver
    @PepsiPat said:
    " @BestUsernameEver: you know what you should do play crackdown 1. Then you can get access to the halo 3 beta....wait that already happened. Um just play more of the awesomeness that is crackdown, forget about the mediocre crackdown 2. And play halo 3. "
    They should have put the Halo Reach beta on this one, and it would sell like peanuts again.
    pepsipat1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By pepsipat1
    @BestUsernameEver:
    yeah but microsofts not about making money this year. Its about "kinecting" with the casual market. You see what I did there. But any way crackdown 2 is the exact opposite of what a sequel should be. It didnt fix any of the old problems and has like 40 new ones. But a halo reach single player demo inside of it would have been nice.
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BestUsernameEver
    @PepsiPat said:
    " @BestUsernameEver: yeah but microsofts not about making money this year. Its about "kinecting" with the casual market. You see what I did there. But any way crackdown 2 is the exact opposite of what a sequel should be. It didnt fix any of the old problems and has like 40 new ones. But a halo reach single player demo inside of it would have been nice. "
    yep, for once they somehow ruined Realtime world's Potentially amazing franchise. Man, I hope APB is good though, probably isn't thought after what I have heard.
    21stCenturyJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By 21stCenturyJesus
    @BestUsernameEver said:
    " @21stCenturyJesus said:
    Going from my most loved game straight down to insulting territory doesn't seem odd to you? "

no , that does seem to be the general concensus across the internets.
    pepsipat1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By pepsipat1
    @BestUsernameEver:
    yeah I heard apb is sort of bad. I feel really sorry for real time worlds. They could of made a great sequel to crackdown but ruffian butchered it.
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BestUsernameEver
    @21stCenturyJesus said:
    " @BestUsernameEver said:
    Going from my most loved game straight down to insulting territory doesn't seem odd to you? "
    no , that does seem to be the general concensus across the internets. "
    Yeah, ok, never mind. I was only saying that position in general is odd.
    AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By AlwaysAngry

No Caption Provided
    21stCenturyJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By 21stCenturyJesus
    @BestUsernameEver said:
    " @BestUsernameEver said:
    no , that does seem to be the general concensus across the internets. "
    Yeah, ok, never mind. I was only saying that position in general is odd. "

fair enough.
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BestUsernameEver
    @PepsiPat said:
    " @BestUsernameEver: yeah I heard apb is sort of bad. I feel really sorry for real time worlds. They could of made a great sequel to crackdown but ruffian butchered it. "
    Yeah, now both games suck ass. Sigh, I guess I will just wait for the late 2010, early 2011 lineup which looks incredible.
    ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By ez123

A game being exactly like Crackdown is fine with me but that doesn't seem to be the case. There was already a thread about all of the new stuff added so I'm not gonna go over that again.  I guess people expected 3 years of changes when the dev cycle was a little more than 1. Something like L4D2 was more easier to accept because it actually came 1 year later I guess.

BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BestUsernameEver
    @ez123 said:
    " A game being exactly like Crackdown is fine with me but that doesn't seem to be the case. There was already a thread about all of the new stuff added so I'm not gonna go over that again.  I guess people expected 3 years of changes when the dev cycle was a little more than 1. Something like L4D2 was more easier to accept because it actually came 1 year later I guess. "
    Sure, and the whole Valve thing helped too.
    ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#16  Edited By ez123
    @BestUsernameEver: Yeah, I forgot that who the developer was changed the amount of features in a sequel.
    KawiGreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By KawiGreen

I don't see what's so bad about the game.  I see nothing but improvements from the first one.  The only thing I would like fixed is prioritizing the targeting system, where enemies take priority over cars.  Other than that, I think the game is great.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.