Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Crash Bandicoot

Franchise »

Take control of Crash, a hyperactive bandicoot with an attitude as he tries to stop the evil scientist Dr. Neo Cortex from world domination. The popularity of the series led to Crash being the unofficial PlayStation mascot and selling 40 million copies with over 14 games released.

Is Crash Bandicoot officially dead?

• 71 results
    blade_r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

No Caption Provided

With no word of a new game, or even news of remastering and porting the old games, is it safe to say it's over Crash?

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#2 ArbitraryWater  Online

I mean, wasn't Crash Bandicoot dead after 1999 when Crash Team Racing came out?

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Is Crash Bandicoot dead? We can only hope so.

Burusu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Burusu

Naughty Dog doesn't seem to look forward to creating cartoon-ish looking games again, Uncharted has progressively lost some of that style to obtain a more realistic approach (not just visually but story-wise). I figure they're moving on to more grounded and gritty releases from now on as a whole.

blade_r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Crash Team Racing was awesome!!!

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Spoiler: he's actually been dead the whole time.

ottoman673

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Remember that time they tried to revive Spyro, and we were left with Skylanders?

Some things are better left in the past.

davidh219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Crash Bandicoot will forever live on in our hearts. Just go play the first three games. Can confirm they're still great. Played through them back to back like a year and a half ago.

Ericjasonwade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arbitrarywater: @blade_r:

Are you crazy? CTR is a great cart racer and dare I say one of the best.

Crash probably died with one of the PS2 releases.

whopper1631

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Think of Crash like Sonic, another 90's mascot using his "radical" attitude to de-throne Mario. I played Crash 3 and it's really easy until the ratchet up the difficulty on the last 10 levels to a crazy degree.

lead_dispencer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Crash is dead and never coming back, its a product of the era and deserves to stay there. i mean if sony wants to remake some of the originals or port then to psn fine, but its like duke nukem or conker's bad fur day. It had it's time but it should probably stay resting forever.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Steadying

There is no way a new Crash game will ever be made. If, by some crazy chance there is, it definitely won't be a platformer. And if by some other crazy chance a new game gets made and it is a platformer, it'll probably just be some crappy 20 dollar thing made by an unknown dev.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

twinsanity is alright

blade_r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I think that one Sony guy was trying to pull a Phil Spencer at PSX by wearing that Crash shirt...

So expect Crash to make a random cameo appearance in some indie game.

laserguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This should be a poll.

Ericjasonwade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blade_r:

You can still play it now dude. It definitely holds up. My dad doesn't play games really and he still plays this weekly.

blade_r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By blade_r

@laserguy said:

This should be a poll.

I would change it but I don't think I can :/

@blade_r:

You can still play it now dude. It definitely holds up. My dad doesn't play games really and he still plays this weekly.

Really? That's awesome lol I wish I could but I don't have the game anymore, I think I got rid of it when I was younger when I got rid of my PS1 :/

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unless those 3D platformers come back in a big way, there isn't really any way for Sony to justify spending a bunch of money to buy that license back from Activision. Nostalgia isn't going to make that deal profitable for them.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Crash is dead as fuck. I would sooner bet on a new Darkstalkers than a new Crash game.

Goddammit...

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope so. Loved those games growing up, but I don't need another one.

lachrymoses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He is dead, but microsoft will buy him and bring him back for holo-lense like tupac.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc86d541ecee
    deactivated-5fc86d541ecee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Crash is owned by Activision now so unless someone is capable of turning it into a multi-billion dollar annual franchise or they sell the IP for way more money than it's worth, we're not seeing shit.

So yeah, Crash is dead.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
    hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@laserguy said:

This should be a poll.

Poll: Crash is Dead

o I agree

o You're right

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Crash is long dead, and I'm not sure I want him coming back. Those were three real good games (and by three I mean 2, Warped, and CTR. All three of those games hold up, but the first one plays like hot garbage). Really, I think the best you could hope for is for those games to get rereleased on newer consoles, like FF7.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#26  Edited By Justin258

@arbitrarywater said:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaand here we have the exact response that came into my head as soon as I saw the thread title!

CTR isn't a bad game but it took me forever to beat it way back when and I have never really touched it since. Crash 2 and 3, though, I return to those games once every few years and finished them over and over and over again as a kid.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By SethMode

@believer258 said:
    @arbitrarywater said:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaand here we have the exact response that came into my head as soon as I saw the thread title!

CTR isn't a bad game but it took me forever to beat it way back when and I have never really touched it since. Crash 2 and 3, though, I return to those games once every few years and finished them over and over and over again as a kid.

Ditto. And more importantly, being a good game doesn't mean it wasn't the death the character. I took the comment to mean that after that, the character was no more (which can be argued as factually accurate).

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I should probably clarify that I meant everything after CTR. Crash Team Racing itself is secretly the best Kart Racer of that era (because it sure as hell isn't Mario Kart 64)

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean, he wasn't in that Sony brawler, which is heresy unless he is actually dead and buried.

Dragon_Puncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I think we'll learn something over the course of the next 6 months, maybe at E3 2016. Shawn Laydon wearing that T-shirt is such a huge troll, that it has to mean something.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#31  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

Wait 10 more years, and pray in blind faith he'll show up at E3, Paris Games Week, Tokyo Game Show, or PSX every year. But realistically, I just see him and the other Crash characters show up as action figures you can buy for Skylanders for $15 a pop, some day. He already has the car.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

is this the end of ghost crash bandicoot?

yes.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

twinsanity is alright

Yup! Legitimately hilarious and has a superb soundtrack. Still doesn't begin to compare to Crash 2 & Warped, but it's easily the best of the post-Naughty Dog era of Crash.

Gruebacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

It's been safe to say that Crash Bandicoot has already been dead for a long, long time. Maybe if we're lucky, he'll end up as a Skylander.

DocGroove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Who knows Activision might create a mobile game starring Crash, but I really don't see a proper 3D platformer on consoles happening.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Who needs Crash when the world has Knack.

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Levius

I thought it was pretty common knowledge that Crash ODed on heroin in a motel in Reno back '04.

RIP Crash

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

@ericjasonwade said:

I should probably clarify that I meant everything after CTR. Crash Team Racing itself is secretly the best Kart Racer of that era (because it sure as hell isn't Mario Kart 64)

I thought that was what you meant. And I heartily agree.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

I mean, I liked the crash games but it was for the gameplay, and I'm not left with a connection to any part of the crash IP. The characters, story, nothing makes me want the franchise to return.

Someone else in this forum suggested that Jak & Daxter is a rebuilding of the Crash franchise and I agree. The gameplay is near identical with the characters, setting, lore swapped out.

I don't want Crash back but I would love for Naughty Dog to take on the genre again, whether that be Crash or Jak (personally I want Jak) or a brand new IP.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Yummylee

@hypnotoadbrwowrowrow said:

I mean, I liked the crash games but it was for the gameplay, and I'm not left with a connection to any part of the crash IP. The characters, story, nothing makes me want the franchise to return.

Someone else in this forum suggested that Jak & Daxter is a rebuilding of the Crash franchise and I agree. The gameplay is near identical with the characters, setting, lore swapped out.

The first one maybe, but the second and third prioritises their crappy shooting and driving gameplay than they do platforming.

SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee said:

The first one maybe, but the second and third prioritises their crappy shooting and driving gameplay than they do platforming.

2nd one was an evolution of the franchise rather than just making the same thing over. It was welcome adaptation of the game. I didn't care for the third one but that's just my personal taste. You can't keep making the same game over.

BananasFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just because something hasn't been released in a while doesn't mean it's "dead". I can absolutely confirm to you that if some of these new 3d Platformers in development, like Yuka-Laylee, do well, we will see more of people like Crash.

Personally I got a little irritated during the bombcast when everyone kept saying Crash was outdated. That game is AMAZING and isn't outdated unless you are a trendy gamer who only plays what the "cool kids" are playing. For the rest of us, it's just as good as ever and I would buy a copy Day 1 if they made a new one. No "modernizing" needed, other than graphics.

BananasFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2nd one was an evolution of the franchise rather than just making the same thing over. It was welcome adaptation of the game. I didn't care for the third one but that's just my personal taste. You can't keep making the same game over.

Who says?

That's never made any sense to me. If the thing is still fun, then you can ABSOLUTELY keep making the same thing over and over again. In fact, more games get ruined by "changing the formula" to something nobody wants than get ruined by over saturation.

If you are a gaming tourist and you just play games to see them, then yes. You need something new, beause the new is all you care about. but if you are a challenge gamer, then as long as there are new challenges, that's pretty much all you need to keep the game interesting.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee said:

Iteration doesn't automatically mean bad. And besides, for all of the new stuff they expanded with in Jak 2 the majority of it all is terrible.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#46  Edited By jacksukeru

However and whenever Crash died, I'm sure it was a hilarious bit of slapstick.

Loading Video...

Seriously though, I don't need another one of these.

@yummylee said:

The third game has the best fucking car ever, the Dune Hopper, though, so it makes the oversaturation of gimmicks, upgrades and mini-games almost worth it.

SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

@yummylee: @bananasfoster: Poor choice of words using "can't," but I personally wouldn't want them too. After all the crash games and the first Jak game, why keep going, though? The Crash games were becoming uninteresting and the first Jak game was a spin on it. They gave their platformer games more depth and went with a new IP. You can only do so much with the Crash formula so they introduced new mechanics and changed the name. Then they kept going with the theme of change rather than returning to the OG Crash formula or continuing off of the OG Jak mechanics.

And what I'm saying is that if they're going to revisit the Platformer genre, I would be happier with a new IP than Crash because I personally found it stale.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Crash has been dead since Crash of the Titans, which came out in 2007. (8 years dead)

If Activision or even Sony somehow decided to reboot Crash Bandicoot, they shouldn't make one in the vein of the first 3 games, but make it into an open world game where you play as the guy in the Crash Bandicoot outfit from those old PS1 commercials. Have missions involve Crash invading Nintendo of America and trash talking Mario, D-Generation X style or demand Pizza Hut customers to eat Cheesy stuffed bread crust pizza backwards.

Loading Video...

blade_r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jacksukeru: Lmaooooo the deaths in Crash was always so hilarious, the og TNT deaths still make me laugh the hardest

e30bmw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blade_r: CTR is the best Mario Kart game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.