EA Announces Create, A Game About...Creation

Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

It's hard to see past the Zerg rush, but before Blizzard's RTS hit the streets, one of the big things we talked about was customizable play--the concepts you see in games like LittleBigPlanet or Kodu. With neither of these titles in EA's stable, it was about time that we had a game like Create, an EA Play Label joint that looks to be a watered down version of those aforementioned titles.

In Create, you'll design open environments with tools like brushes and textures, and solve individual "level-based challenges" created by designers. The latter action will, in turn, earn players even more tools for design. Warning, though: Create is a baby-friendly title. It probably won't allow us the opportunity to build a killer triple-decker ramp off of The Mona Lisa's schnoz.

“Create uses families’ imaginations to develop new ways to play together that are both fun and challenging," Harvey Elliot, GM at EA Bright Light said in a statement. “We wanted to design a game where the entire family can explore, decorate, and solve challenges where no solution is wrong and the only limit is the imagination." 

In a cool twist, you'll be able to upload your creations and challenges and share them with friends on the Xbox 360, Mac, PS3, and PC versions of Create. Said buds can then "remix" the levels and add in dongs, curse words, set new challenges based on your old ones, or do whatever else they desire.

Create is coming to the PS3, Macintosh, Xbox 360, PC, and Wii this November. The PS3 version will support Move control. No word on the 360 version supporting Kinect

#1 Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

It's hard to see past the Zerg rush, but before Blizzard's RTS hit the streets, one of the big things we talked about was customizable play--the concepts you see in games like LittleBigPlanet or Kodu. With neither of these titles in EA's stable, it was about time that we had a game like Create, an EA Play Label joint that looks to be a watered down version of those aforementioned titles.

In Create, you'll design open environments with tools like brushes and textures, and solve individual "level-based challenges" created by designers. The latter action will, in turn, earn players even more tools for design. Warning, though: Create is a baby-friendly title. It probably won't allow us the opportunity to build a killer triple-decker ramp off of The Mona Lisa's schnoz.

“Create uses families’ imaginations to develop new ways to play together that are both fun and challenging," Harvey Elliot, GM at EA Bright Light said in a statement. “We wanted to design a game where the entire family can explore, decorate, and solve challenges where no solution is wrong and the only limit is the imagination." 

In a cool twist, you'll be able to upload your creations and challenges and share them with friends on the Xbox 360, Mac, PS3, and PC versions of Create. Said buds can then "remix" the levels and add in dongs, curse words, set new challenges based on your old ones, or do whatever else they desire.

Create is coming to the PS3, Macintosh, Xbox 360, PC, and Wii this November. The PS3 version will support Move control. No word on the 360 version supporting Kinect

#2 Edited by Xtrememuffinman (958 posts) -

Bad LBP?

EDIT: Finally got through that assy quest!

#3 Posted by Drebin_893 (2933 posts) -

Sounds like it could be alright as a family game.

#4 Posted by BeachThunder (12410 posts) -

Ironically uncreative name :|

#5 Posted by Gabriel (4081 posts) -

ugh Kodo

#6 Posted by Atomasist (2818 posts) -

Looks okay.

#7 Posted by m2cks (594 posts) -

Wait, dongs?! Sold!

#8 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

So yeah, this is just an uninspired, generic, not so great looking LBP without all of the indie charm. Sweet.......?

#9 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Wait, so it's just creation? To what end?

#10 Posted by gingertastic_10 (4141 posts) -

Sounds pretty cool.

#11 Posted by BeachThunder (12410 posts) -
@Video_Game_King said:
" Wait, so it's just creation? To what end? "
creation...
#12 Posted by HS21 (2682 posts) -

Not interested.

#13 Posted by HT101 (1176 posts) -

I don't really care about this game at all.  Also, what is up with this motherloving quest from Best Buy?  It's hella easy so there's that.

#14 Posted by MayorFeedback (674 posts) -

Wonderful.

#15 Posted by DaManGB (377 posts) -

alright? could be good

#16 Posted by aurahack (2289 posts) -

Creationism! 

Also, looks pretty childish :(

#17 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
@BeachThunder said:
" @Video_Game_King said:
creation... "
Yet that's not an end in itself, that's just a means to reach an end. What would I be doing with these creations?
#18 Posted by fox01313 (5089 posts) -

Looks somewhat from the screens like Joe Danger & looks like the level made by people where no solution is wrong might result in larger file sizes (to accomodate for all the options) or it will go into something like Scribblenauts where you can find one solution that's the quickest (like my favorite of putting in Cthulhu & watch the fun) which is endlessly repeated until finding something else to play.

#19 Posted by jford (57 posts) -

Not sure how Kinect would work with this game. Cool concept though.

#20 Posted by RecSpec (3926 posts) -

In before shots at creationism, haha.

#21 Posted by mubblegum (250 posts) -

I don't know what I think of this game... it kinda looks cool, and kinda doesn't? It seems to have been done before, but I'd be interested to see what they do.

#22 Posted by Death_Unicorn (2838 posts) -

All right.

#23 Posted by PhatSeeJay (3322 posts) -

That look spectacular!

#24 Posted by finmon (117 posts) -

Poor man's LBP for Xbox users?  
Could be interesting though...

#25 Posted by Tregard (141 posts) -

Looks like a bad physics sandbox...

#26 Posted by Pessh (2459 posts) -

LBP?

#27 Posted by Webby (720 posts) -

Not sure about this

#28 Posted by damswedon (3201 posts) -

well that seems absolutely fuckatrocious 

#29 Posted by BeachThunder (12410 posts) -
@Video_Game_King said:

" @BeachThunder said:

" @Video_Game_King said:

creation... "
Yet that's not an end in itself, that's just a means to reach an end. What would I be doing with these creations? "
Getting a sense of self-satisfaction from doing so? ¯\(°_o)/¯ 
#30 Posted by Honk (27 posts) -

To me it looks a little too childish for much enjoyment.  Hopefully that's not the case, since I enjoy Little Big Planet.
#31 Posted by D34dM4n (150 posts) -

so creation for creation's sake? i will probably never touch this game

#32 Posted by wrecks (2318 posts) -

I predict fail.

#33 Posted by Linkin10362 (591 posts) -

Sounds kinda weird, but I'll look forward to it.

#34 Posted by metalsnakezero (2342 posts) -

There is no way this can be good as LBP. Completely uninteresting and I'm not just using those words to get the best buy quest :D

#35 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
@BeachThunder: 

I'm not a theological expert, but that sounds like masturbation :P.
#36 Posted by Timmy (52 posts) -

So it's Spore, right?

#37 Posted by bigdaddyjack21 (174 posts) -

Bland name

#38 Posted by ZombiePie (5752 posts) -

I know that it sounds like a senseless floccinaucinihilipilification but the picture looks like a bad Thrillville with what sounds like motion controls tacked on.

#39 Posted by Matt (968 posts) -

I love procrastination

#40 Posted by kungfuchamber36 (7 posts) -

Creationism!

#41 Posted by Onigenko (335 posts) -

I would rather just wait for LittleBigPlanet 2, thank you very much.

#42 Posted by SumDeus (1857 posts) -

Lol biodegradable.

#43 Posted by DukeTogo (1504 posts) -

Kodu is something I already completely forgot about.

#44 Posted by Jimages (18 posts) -

Haha :P

#45 Posted by Yeahbuhwhat (35 posts) -

I can't create anything worthwhile myself, so the value of this game depends on the quality of the community behind it.

#46 Posted by habster3 (3600 posts) -
@Onigenko said:
"I would rather just wait for LittleBigPlanet 2, thank you very much. "

This.
#47 Posted by TheBeast (1931 posts) -

They need to mix this with the Spore creation tools...

#48 Posted by VoshiNova (1752 posts) -

Right on I guess

#49 Posted by Piglet (129 posts) -

make.believe?

#50 Posted by CrazedJoker (321 posts) -

A version of LBP that fell out of a developers ass after a bad encounter?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.