So Ronaldo is off to Madrid....

• 79 results
#1 Posted by skidd (460 posts) -

Earlier today, Manchester United accepted a world record bid of £80 million for Big Ron...and Im pretty sure most people cant see him rejecting the chance to leave.
He's always been one of those players you either hate or love, and Im sure there are a good few fans who are glad to see the back of him.
So, what do you guys think  of the deal? Also, who are they going to bring in to replace him?

#2 Posted by kitsune_conundrum (1202 posts) -

soccer/football players are insanely overpaid these days. Can't wait till the whole market implodes.

#3 Posted by Hairydutchman (1039 posts) -

Ridiculous

#4 Posted by PeepingTommy (63 posts) -

At least it will now make picking my fantasy football team a bit simpler.

#5 Posted by Nat3TheGreat13 (260 posts) -

This deal will hurt Manchester badly because you can't replace ronaldo.

#6 Posted by Linkyshinks (9881 posts) -

Speaking as avid United fan, I cannot say that I am all that upset really, I have come to terms with the idea of him leaving for a while now...I don't know what else to say, other than, I hope we put the 80m to good use on some awesome new players.

#7 Posted by Jeust (10472 posts) -
I would do that deal in a heartbeat... ronaldo is over evaluated... and without the guidance of alex fergunson he'll just be a good player.

And there is no need for new acquisitions... there's nani there. And another good young talents.

Manchester does a great job by selling him at 80 million.

@kitsune_conundrum said:
" soccer/football players are insanely overpaid these days. Can't wait till the whole market implodes. "
Me neither... :)

And imagine they are paid just to play once or twice a week in front of the spectators... i wish i had a job like that lol 
#8 Posted by Hairydutchman (1039 posts) -
@Linkyshinks said:
" Speaking as avid United fan, I cannot say that I am all that upset really, I have come to terms with the idea of him leaving for a while now...I don't know what else to say, other than, I hope we put the 80m to good use on some awesome new players. "
Suarez from Ajax for 40 million euros would be a good replacement.
#9 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

yup, im one of the people who absolutely hate the gutts of that asshole..

C.Ronaldo in madrid? wow thats gonna fuck up the crowds' minds xD
#10 Posted by ZeroCast (1869 posts) -

Well, they have already bought Kaká and now Mr.arrogant is going to Real Madrid, not much of a surprise really, Florentino Pérez is known to be a man who's willing to pay Millions for famous players without blinking an eye.

On a side note, Barcelona are in negtionaiones to bring Zlatan Ibrahimović to the team, now that would be awesome.   

#11 Posted by skidd (460 posts) -
As I a United fan, I do think he'll be a big loss to the team. He had the ability to change games instantly, and any team would miss him. But Fergie is experienced enough, he knows what hes doing. There was no real point keeping him if he didnt want to play for the club.

@Hairydutchman: Havent seen Suarez play myself (ajax werent in the CL), only seen the youtube clips. Looks talented, and has a good goalscoring record, but is he really worth €40million?
I think they should try moving for someone like Kun Aguero, and if not him then Karim Benzema. People had suggested United would try signing Franck Ribery if Ronny left, but I see him going to Madrid too...they seem eager to spend big this summer...
#12 Posted by JellyFish_Gsus (769 posts) -
@Jeust said:
"
I would do that deal in a heartbeat... ronaldo is over evaluated... and without the guidance of alex fergunson he'll just be a good player.

And there is no need for new acquisitions... there's nani there. And another good young talents.

@kitsune_conundrum said:
" soccer/football players are insanely overpaid these days. Can't wait till the whole market implodes. "

And imagine they are paid just to play once or twice a week in front of the spectators... i wish i had a job like that lol 
"
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH Nani should be playing for West Brom
#13 Posted by MattyFTM (14340 posts) -

This isn't big news. We all knew it was going to happen.

#14 Posted by skidd (460 posts) -
@ZeroCast said:
"On a side note, Barcelona are in negtionaiones to bring Zlatan Ibrahimović to the team, now that would be awesome. "
Where would they play him? Their front 3 is perfectly balanced as it is, surely Ibra would result in a different formation (like Berbatov at United)....but I suppose if Eto'o left, he'd fill in perfectly.
On another tangent, Valencia have said theyve received an offer for David Villa, from outside Spain. Maybe United trying to fill the gap - though I fully expect it to be Chelsea....
#15 Posted by Linkyshinks (9881 posts) -
@Hairydutchman said:
"
@Linkyshinks said:
" Speaking as avid United fan, I cannot say that I am all that upset really, I have come to terms with the idea of him leaving for a while now...I don't know what else to say, other than, I hope we put the 80m to good use on some awesome new players. "
Suarez from Ajax for 40 million euros would be a good replacement. "

To be perfectly honest, I have never heard of him, but then it makes sense given Ajax were out of the Champions League this season. Dutch football is only shown here early in the early mornings, on a lowly used channel (C5). so I rarely get to see any of the leagues brightest stars. I will trust your judgment though. Of course Dutch players do have a history of performing well for us too, so I would be open to the idea of another appearing. 

We need to replace "like for like", as they say in football here, that is to say, replace skill with skill, and flair with flair, etc etc.

I will check him out on Youtube if I can find him.

#16 Posted by Snail (8578 posts) -

Him and José Mourinho are just about the only two famous Portuguese dudes these days. Sadly, they are both in the football (or soccer for you Americans) business.

#17 Posted by Mushir (2389 posts) -

Real Madrid is my favorite football team, but I hate Ronaldo with a passion. So I'm not happy about this. I'm glad Kaka is in Madrid now though.

#18 Posted by Hairydutchman (1039 posts) -
@skidd said:
" As I a United fan, I do think he'll be a big loss to the team. He had the ability to change games instantly, and any team would miss him. But Fergie is experienced enough, he knows what hes doing. There was no real point keeping him if he didnt want to play for the club.

@Hairydutchman: Havent seen Suarez play myself (ajax werent in the CL), only seen the youtube clips. Looks talented, and has a good goalscoring record, but is he really worth €40million?I think they should try moving for someone like Kun Aguero, and if not him then Karim Benzema. People had suggested United would try signing Franck Ribery if Ronny left, but I see him going to Madrid too...they seem eager to spend big this summer... "
I'm a Ajax fan, so 40 million is what I would like to get for him. But in reality it's probably close to 30. He's by far the best player of the dutch competition.

"
@Hairydutchman said:
"
@Linkyshinks said:
Suarez from Ajax for 40 million euros would be a good replacement. "
To be perfectly honest, I have never heard of him, but then it makes sense given Ajax were out of the Champions League this season. Dutch football is only shown here early in the early mornings, on a lowly used channel (C5). so I rarely get to see any of the leagues brightest stars. I will trust your judgment though. Of course Dutch players do have a history of performing well for us too, so I would be open to the idea of another appearing.  We need to replace "like for like", as they say in football here, that is to say, replace skill with skill, and flair with flair, etc etc.I will check him out on Youtube if I can find him. "

#19 Edited by Jeust (10472 posts) -
@Snail said:
" Him and José Mourinho are just about the only two famous Portuguese dudes these days. Sadly, they are both in the football (or soccer for you Americans) business. "
Today football is the most popular thing in the whole world.

Besides sports there other famous portuguese people these days... only not with all that media coverage. :p

Politicians, cientists, psycologists... You name it... 

@JellyFish_Gsus said:
"
@Jeust said:
"

@kitsune_conundrum said:

"
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH Nani should be playing for West Brom "
Possibly... but the value of a player is also very inconsistent... so one day he might be the greatest player in the world... he's still very young, so manchester should give him a chance.
#20 Posted by p4ddym1607 (995 posts) -

What a player

#21 Posted by Snail (8578 posts) -
@Jeust said:
" @Snail said:
" Him and José Mourinho are just about the only two famous Portuguese dudes these days. Sadly, they are both in the football (or soccer for you Americans) business. "

Besides sports there other famous portuguese people these days... only not with all that media coverage. :p

Politicians, cientists, psycologists... You name it..."
That is wrong. Soccer isn't at all popular in America, only in most of Europe.

And no, there aren't. I am Portuguese I should know.

Name me some that are known Worldwide other than José Saramago.
#22 Posted by DuhQbnSiLo (2139 posts) -

Soccer isn't in a recession like other sports

#23 Posted by crunchUK (5963 posts) -
@Snail said:
"
@Jeust said:
" @Snail said:

Politicians, cientists, psycologists... You name it..."
That is wrong. Soccer isn't at all popular in America, only in most of Europe.And no, there aren't. I am Portuguese I should know.Name me some that are known Worldwide other than José Saramago. "
Of course, if by "most of europe" you mean the whole of south america, the whole of europe, Most african countries.........................................
#24 Posted by thegoldencat7 (1491 posts) -

Fair enough Ronaldo is one of the best players in the world. But he's also a complete arsehole, and I wouldn't have wanted to see him carry on playing when he clearly wanted to sod off to Spain whenever things weren't going his way. This may actually prove to be good for the team by liberating some of the other players, no longer suffocated by Ronaldo's ego.

#25 Posted by Daz0608 (384 posts) -

I'm a United fan and I'm not suprised that it's happened, I'm glad United got £80 million for him, with that sort of cash Fergie can get 2 world class players, i think he will still be missed though

#26 Posted by Snail (8578 posts) -
@crunchUK said:
"
@Snail said:
" That is wrong. Soccer isn't at all popular in America, only in most of Europe.And no, there aren't. I am Portuguese I should know.Name me some that are known Worldwide other than José Saramago. "
Of course, if by "most of europe" you mean the whole of south america, the whole of europe, Most african countries......................................... "
I forgot those. Must I remind you that the North America and Asia are the whole world?
#27 Posted by skidd (460 posts) -
@thegoldencat7 said:
" Fair enough Ronaldo is one of the best players in the world. But he's also a complete arsehole, and I wouldn't have wanted to see him carry on playing when he clearly wanted to sod off to Spain whenever things weren't going his way. This may actually prove to be good for the team by liberating some of the other players, no longer suffocated by Ronaldo's ego. "
Thats a fair point. Without Ronaldo in the team, it may give other players the chance to flourish. I particularly thinking of Rooney here - who was forced onto the left wing for a lot of the CL games. Maybe now Fergie will build the team around him, and allow him to play in his more natural position further up the pitch.
#28 Posted by ZeroCast (1869 posts) -
@skidd said:
"
@ZeroCast said:
"On a side note, Barcelona are in negotiations to bring Zlatan Ibrahimović to the team, now that would be awesome. "
Where would they play him? Their front 3 is perfectly balanced as it is, surely Ibra would result in a different formation (like Berbatov at United)....but I suppose if Eto'o left, he'd fill in perfectly.On another tangent, Valencia have said they've received an offer for David Villa, from outside Spain. Maybe United trying to fill the gap - though I fully expect it to be Chelsea.... "
That's the thing, Guardiola is thinking of letting Eto'o go and instead bring Ibrahimović, now for me, Eto'o has been a great player all of the season, but as you already know, he didn't become what he is now in a single night, he REALLY worked hard on himself last summer and reached a state were he was this close to become the number 1 scorer in the La Liga.

Anyways, looks like Villa is not heading to Chelsea after all, check this out.
@Snail
said:
"
@Jeust said:
" @Snail said:

Besides sports there other famous Portuguese people these days... only not with all that media coverage. :p

Politicians, scientists, psychologists... You name it..."
That is wrong. Soccer isn't at all popular in America, only in most of Europe.And no, there aren't. I am Portuguese I should know.Name me some that are known Worldwide other than José Saramago. "

Everyone knows that Football is the most famous sport on the face of the earth, even in America it's gradually starting to get their attention, whether this attention is created by their Media or a by a team like Barcelona, that is traveling there for Pre-Season training, you're bound to find this simple yet beautiful game played everywhere, not just limited to Europe my friend.
#29 Posted by Snail (8578 posts) -
@ZeroCast said:
" @Snail said:
" That is wrong. Soccer isn't at all popular in America, only in most of Europe.And no, there aren't. I am Portuguese I should know.Name me some that are known Worldwide other than José Saramago. "
Everyone knows that Football is the most famous sport on the face of the earth, even in America it's gradually starting to get their attention, whether this attention is created by their Media or a by a team like Barcelona, that is traveling there for Pre-Season training, you're bound to find this simple yet beautiful game played everywhere, not just limited to Europe my friend. "
Right. So you're saying soccer is more popular than American football, basketball or baseball?
#30 Edited by Jeust (10472 posts) -
@Snail said:
"
@ZeroCast said:
" @Snail said:
Everyone knows that Football is the most famous sport on the face of the earth, even in America it's gradually starting to get their attention, whether this attention is created by their Media or a by a team like Barcelona, that is traveling there for Pre-Season training, you're bound to find this simple yet beautiful game played everywhere, not just limited to Europe my friend. "
Right. So you're saying soccer is more popular than American football, basketball or baseball? "

Soccer is played all over the world... 

And american fooball is it?

Basketball also, but it takes second place in many countries to football...

and baseball?

The world isn't just america you know... :p

@Snail said:
José Barrose, President of the European Comission,

António Damásio, a well-known psiquiatrist, researcher, and writter,

José Rodrigues dos Santos, a journalist and a writter,

Paulo Barbosa, one of the most influencial sport agents around the world, 

José Lagos, a business man responsible for bringing the Davis Cup and Lisboa-Dakar to Portugal,

Michelle Brito, a tennis player,

Telma Monteiro, a the portuguese judoka...

There are a lot... 

The problem has to do more with "air-time" than anything else... And nothing gets it more than sports, music, religion, politics, disasters and controversy.

#31 Posted by Reuben (622 posts) -

Well 80 Million....Who wouldn't! lol

#32 Posted by Karmum (11517 posts) -
@Nat3TheGreat13 said:
" This deal will hurt Manchester badly because you can't replace ronaldo. "
I'm sure they don't mind $120 million, however.
#33 Posted by skidd (460 posts) -
@ZeroCast: So where do we think Villa will be heading then. Before, I would've said Real or Barca, but seeings as the bid is from outside Spain. So possibly United, maybe AC Milan? - no doubt they have a bit of money floating around after the Kaka deal.

Also, about the whole biggest sport thing, Im not really sure how anyone can claim that football (soccer) isnt the most popular sport in the world....North America is the only exception, but even still, its catching up quickly
#34 Posted by SergeStorms (10 posts) -

I was reading on Eurosport that this is a pretty controversial move in Spain. The country has over 18% unemployment so a lot of commentators are saying how can Real Madrid fork over this much money with this kind of economic pain in the country.

I think they paid way too much for this yahoo. He is a great player and he and Kaka will provide unbelievable speed, passing and shooting that can carve up a back line, but I wonder how much Sir Alex will be able to guy with this much money. No one has a better eye for talent. Plus, I can't help wondering if Galactico history will repeat itself.

This will put pressure on Laporte to get at least two or three big names this year. I bet they keep Eto'o but Henry is getting up there and there fans will be getting restless, even after winning the treble.

#35 Edited by NoXious (1338 posts) -

Isn't Ribery first in line to replace Ronaldo or was that some rumor I read on my usual football website?

As United though I wouldn't grab Suarez, as much as Ajax is the rival of my club (PSV) I personally don't think he can fill up for Ronaldo (yet). His experience is limited to a few internatiol matches with Ajax and his national team, I'd say give him another year or two and then determine his international worth.

I also think it is time for the UEFA to make a stand, a club should NOT have over 33% of it's personal value in loans/debts. Any club exceeding the 33% limit should be banned from CL / EL.

EDIT: Oh and Snail, football is hot nowadays in Asia. The amount of viewers for the sport is rising and rising. More asian players are attracted by clubs each year because of the viewing rights and merchandise income from Asia. So yes, football is the most popular sports in the world. Isn't the US trying to grab the next World Cup series for their country aswell? Guess why? It's not for their own national team I'd think - I hardly hear anything about it for such a massive country...

#36 Posted by _Phara0h_ (889 posts) -

The problem with Real is they acquire only really good offensive players with big ego's and what not. Then hire a Big time coach and expect immediately to win every thing.
It's nice to have a lot of star in your team but can they play together as a team......?

Well I wish them the best as Barcelona will be hard to beat......

#37 Posted by Brendan (7685 posts) -
@Nat3TheGreat13:
So true, I've been saying it for a while.
#38 Posted by buzz_killington (3532 posts) -

Well, Manchester is a great team and not only because of Ronaldo. But with Giggs and Scholes getting old, oh man are we gonna need some good midfielders next year...

#39 Posted by skidd (460 posts) -
@NoXious said:
"Isn't Ribery first in line to replace Ronaldo or was that some rumor I read on my usual football website?"

Depends on who you listen to. Some Spanish based journalists (Sid Lowe & Graham Hunter) believe that Madrid want Ribery, and are happy to get Arjen Robben out of the club...Having said that, Ribery would make sense as a replacement for Ronaldo, though I dont think Im really keen on splashing out around £60 million on one player...
#40 Posted by NoXious (1338 posts) -
@skidd said:
Depends on who you listen to. Some Spanish based journalists (Sid Lowe & Graham Hunter) believe that Madrid want Ribery, and are happy to get Arjen Robben out of the club...Having said that, Ribery would make sense as a replacement for Ronaldo, though I dont think Im really keen on splashing out around £60 million on one player... "

Ouch! I did not know he was supposed to be 60 million. That definately changes things, I can't wait to see what United comes up with then. 

I assume you're a United fan, who would you love to see replacing Ronaldo ? 

#41 Posted by skidd (460 posts) -
@NoXious said:
"
@skidd said:
Depends on who you listen to. Some Spanish based journalists (Sid Lowe & Graham Hunter) believe that Madrid want Ribery, and are happy to get Arjen Robben out of the club...Having said that, Ribery would make sense as a replacement for Ronaldo, though I dont think Im really keen on splashing out around £60 million on one player... "

Ouch! I did not know he was supposed to be 60 million. That definately changes things, I can't wait to see what United comes up with then. 

"
Yeah,  £60million, if you believe the British papers that is.
£80 million is a fair chunk of cashm, so I figure you could buy maybe 2 top quality players.
So, assuming they dont buy Tevez, I'd take Kun Aguero - easily one of the most exciting players Ive seen. If not him, then Karim Benzema.
I also think they'd need a winger as a more direct replacement, most likely gonna be Antonio Valencia from Wigan...or maybe the Chilean guy Alexis Sanchez (havent seem much of him)
Who would you buy?
#42 Edited by Maxszy (2064 posts) -

What a flip flopper. I guarantee that if Man U had won the Chapions League he wouldn't have been switching now. No matter whether you think he is all he is cracked up to be, this is going to hurt Manchester United badly. He's a very good player and can't just be replaced. Even if they have the cash now to get a couple top quality player in replace of him. Though Wayne Rooney is still around of course, that's still a major plus in Man U's favor.

As to anyone who said Real Madrid was a little bit of its prime, not so anymore. Now with Kaka and Ronaldo, and Florentino Perez as President Real Madrid is really changing things up. Things are going to get interesting!

#43 Posted by clubsandwich (3795 posts) -
@MattyFTM said:
" This isn't big news. We all knew it was going to happen. "
agreed, I was actually getting used to the idea of cr7 leaving man u, it's a shame because he is a great player but it's ok, a new 7 shall be born. :D
#44 Posted by ApocalypseLater (98 posts) -
@kitsune_conundrum said:
That's not his salary. That's how much they paid his current team to have him.
#45 Posted by clubsandwich (3795 posts) -
@skidd said:
"
@NoXious said:
"
@skidd said:

"
So, assuming they dont buy Tevez, I'd take Kun Aguero - easily one of the most exciting players Ive seen.
oh god no, aguero is sooo overrated. some good options imo are the midfielders of Huracan, a team in Argentina, they have some of the most fantastic midfielders I have ever seen, javier pastore and patricio toranzo would be good options imo.
#46 Posted by skidd (460 posts) -
@clubsandwich:
Fair enough, I was impressed by him though - he's immesely talented, and likely to improve in the future. Who would you suggest? I probably should have added Wesley Sneijder to that list - though Madrid are unlikely to sell...
Also, I dont think Fergie will go directly to South America for players. He got stung when he bought Forlan, and now he seems to prefer to wait and see how they adapt in the European game (like with Anderson). However, he signs youth players from there with no hesitation - da Silva twins, Possebon - so these guys you mentioned may be an option. Any idea of how much they'd cost or if they'd be ready for the Prem?
#47 Edited by ChickenPants (934 posts) -

ehhhh firstly nobody calls Ronaldo 'Big Ron', Ron Atkinson is known is 'Big Ron' to United fans.

So anyways I'm a huge Man Utd supporter and I couldn't be happier today.I think we should just take the money and run to be honest.Yeah Ronaldo's a great great player but he's also petulant,arrogant,greedy,selfish,childish. etc.etc (I could go on all day)
Some of his displays have been absolutely disgraceful on our pitch and I'm just happy to say we can now go back to watching real men again (Vidic,Rooney,Tevez etc.).I really can't believe how sad some fans are when you consider how disrespectful he has been towards our club.
Players like him make our game look bad.
Good Riddance I say.

Hope we get Benzema and Ribery in with the money.

EDIT: soccer is the most popular sport in the world.Wonder do Americans ever wonder why their silly sports have never garnered world acclaim.

#48 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -

I actually like Manu more now. Screw Ronaldo

#49 Posted by ChickenPants (934 posts) -

I watch The Premiership every weekend and Valencia honestly has never caught my eye...

Can someone explain to me if he's really worth this money/good enough for Man Utd?

#50 Posted by p4ddym1607 (995 posts) -
@ChickenPants said:
" I watch The Premiership every weekend and Valencia honestly has never caught my eye...Can someone explain to me if he's really worth this money/good enough for Man Utd? "
He is a great player. Not sure if he is Man Utd good though.
He is usually Ecuador's best player. I heard he was good against Argentina yesterday.
Shall definitely be interesting if he comes to us.
I trust the management to pick the right players. So who knows.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.