Sega Says Visual Redesign is the Main Focus of CRUSH3D

Posted by patrickklepek (2215 posts) -

I don't know how long I'm going to keep capitalizing CRUSH3D, but for now, I do. And so I sigh.

When Sega announced CRUSH3D, it wasn't quite clear what the plan was, besides plucking a little-known PSP puzzler from 2007 and revitalizing it for 3DS. 3D makes complete sense for the mind-bending gameplay, but was Sega crafting a proper sequel? I asked Sega today to clarify what CRUSH3D is.

"CRUSH3D is a redesign of the original CRUSH for PSP," said a company spokesperson in a brief statement over email. "The main difference between CRUSH3D and the original game is an overhaul of the visual design of the levels. You can already see in the screens that the main character also looks different so that’s another visual change."

I'm still confused, actually. The press release promised "new locations" and "new characters," too, but combining the new makes the case for CRUSH3D being a remake of the original with new content. Considering how many people probably missed the original Crush, however, that's not a terrible idea.

#1 Posted by patrickklepek (2215 posts) -

I don't know how long I'm going to keep capitalizing CRUSH3D, but for now, I do. And so I sigh.

When Sega announced CRUSH3D, it wasn't quite clear what the plan was, besides plucking a little-known PSP puzzler from 2007 and revitalizing it for 3DS. 3D makes complete sense for the mind-bending gameplay, but was Sega crafting a proper sequel? I asked Sega today to clarify what CRUSH3D is.

"CRUSH3D is a redesign of the original CRUSH for PSP," said a company spokesperson in a brief statement over email. "The main difference between CRUSH3D and the original game is an overhaul of the visual design of the levels. You can already see in the screens that the main character also looks different so that’s another visual change."

I'm still confused, actually. The press release promised "new locations" and "new characters," too, but combining the new makes the case for CRUSH3D being a remake of the original with new content. Considering how many people probably missed the original Crush, however, that's not a terrible idea.

#2 Edited by animateria (3265 posts) -

Yup, haven't played the psp one.

I dunno if it's worth going back to anymore.
#3 Posted by ApolloBob (570 posts) -

Bathrobe physics

#4 Posted by iAmJohn (6135 posts) -

Why do I get the feeling that the entire reason behind this visual redesign is that they're pinning the failure of the first game on the weird psycho-nightmare art style that probably didn't focus test very well?  Good job ripping the personality out of the game with your shitty new art style by the way, guys.

#5 Posted by Mr_Spinnington (123 posts) -

crush+?  i need a little more than that, sega..

#6 Posted by Kyreo (4602 posts) -
@animateria said:
" Yup, haven't played the psp one.

"
The puzzles are unique enough to hold the game up.  If you can, you should check it out.  It's a great puzzle game.
#7 Posted by TwoOneFive (9459 posts) -

i usually hate it when they make titles like this, but it works. it looks like it says CRUSHED. 

#8 Posted by iAmJohn (6135 posts) -
@TwoOneFive said:
" i usually hate it when they make titles like this, but it works. it looks like it says CRUSHED.  "
Don't encourage them! >:|
#9 Posted by Cypher (114 posts) -

I kind of hope this does well, if only so we have the followup titled "CRUSH4D", with the soundtrack composed exclusively by Crush 40.
#10 Posted by Evilsbane (4749 posts) -

You know I think Sony didn't want to sell any PSP's, I'm pretty damn on top of what comes out and I have Never heard of this and its sounds cool as hell, they must have made sure NO one heard of this.

#11 Posted by megalowho (980 posts) -

I did play the original Crush, and while I liked the basic concept it got stupid hard stupid fast and I just stopped having fun. It had plenty of promise for an improved sequel but if this turns out to be the same game levels with a new art style, count me out.

#12 Posted by Dohers (31 posts) -

Considering how little Crush sold, this makes sense for them to do. Most of the audience will be new as opposed to, say, Rayman 3DS which is more about duping old fans into thinking its a new game. I hope it gets the success it deserved, I really enjoyed that game. SEGA will have to market it more than last time. And by that, I mean actually do some marketing.

#13 Posted by PKHilson (205 posts) -

VIRTUAL REDESIGN!!!

#14 Posted by dietmango (1667 posts) -
@PKHilson said:
" VIRTUAL REDESIGN!!! "
Or...V1RTU4L R3D3S1GN!!

Cause you know, to make your game seem "cooler."
#15 Posted by Kringer (3 posts) -

So the 3d will be in 3D but will the 2d be in 3D or just 2D?  Sound like mind-bending gameplay is keyword for headache inducing.

#16 Edited by Crono (2710 posts) -
@Kringer said:

" So the 3d will be in 3D but will the 2d be in 3D or just 2D?  Sound like mind-bending gameplay is keyword for headache inducing. "

Actually it will be 2.5D in a 3D space divided by the 8th dimension cubed.

@asian_pride said:

" @PKHilson said:

" VIRTUAL REDESIGN!!! "
Or...V1RTU4L R3D3S1GN!!Cause you know, to make your game seem "cooler." "

I don't think it is so much to be "cool" as it is to be "crafty" sneaking "3D" into their "logo."
#17 Posted by BlatantNinja23 (928 posts) -

i loved crush, ill be willing to go back 

#18 Posted by GrandMilato (5 posts) -

I'm sure plenty of people played the original.
but how many of you bought it?

#19 Posted by Korne (625 posts) -

I think Crush did as well as other games like Exit did, but I just don't like the new art style. The 90's cartoon style fit the strange premise extremely well... this just looks plain and slightly generic.

#20 Posted by RJPelonia (863 posts) -

Danny looks a lot more........ average. And a lot less troubled by his insomnia and stress. And everything just looks a lot more vibrant.

I recall the original having a darker feel to it. ........I guess that might not be a big deal if the game plays the same, but........

#21 Posted by LordAndrew (14430 posts) -

Did the game really need a visual redesign though?

#22 Posted by zitosilva (1841 posts) -

Okay, NOW that I've seen the video I understood what this game's all about. It looks pretty cool. Since I missed it on the PSP, I'll wait for it on the 3DS.

#23 Posted by Eyz (449 posts) -

Awesome!
I loved the original game^^

#24 Posted by Xpgamer7 (2400 posts) -

As I said last time, it's a port to the 3DS with downgraded graphics. I don't know why as it's more powerful but I don't want to pay for it again at least not yet.

#25 Posted by steve86uk (42 posts) -

I picked up Crush for PSP at a local supermarket for a £1. I was very pleased with my purchase. I should go back to it and play some more.

#26 Posted by Tebbit (4486 posts) -
@LordAndrew said:

" Did the game really need a visual redesign though? "

Nope!

Dark, moody and slightly nightmarish. Perfect!

This new design looks like "generic puzzle game X".  
#27 Posted by swamplord666 (1763 posts) -

really enjoyed the original design... the gameplay is thankfully unchanged, but i don't like the new art style

#28 Posted by Eyz (449 posts) -
@animateria said:
" Yup, haven't played the psp one.

"
Well, the original had an amazing Psychonauts-like atmosphere and art direction.
Even the comic book-styled story was pretty fun and had some nice twists :P

This one looks...err...Mii-generic.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.