Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Cryostasis

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Apr 15, 2009

Arctic-themed Cryostasis has players explore a relatively faithfully constructed Soviet-era nuclear ice-breaker. Game mechanics include using heat and exhaustion to represent player stamina, using heat sources to regain this stamina, and the use of a flashback ability to alter the past.

cryostasis part 1

jayjac11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By jayjac11

When I first put cryostasis in to play I was greeted by a moody and well designed intro where an old Russian folk tale is being read on screen, no doubt this story will correlate in  some way with the unfolding story of the game. After a slow (very very slow) walk around the first area of the ship I came upon several dead bodies through which I lived the poor souls last few moments. This dead person actions seem to mirror my path towards the ship, could this dead body be me, am I already dead? After I am Given a brief context sensitive tutorial on the basics of body heat management I make my way into the generator room. In the room there is a generator with a big red button, I hit the button and the lights turn on. looking at the wall I can see my shadow What I didn't expect to see was another human shadow dropping down behind me to which I am greeted with a large wail of insanity as I turn around and bear witness to a former crew mate who is now swinging his fists at me. After beating down the poor soul with my fists I walk some more down the ice covered hallways and fend off a few more baddys. during my slow decent into the depths of the "North Wind" (the name of the ship)  I find out that the captain was aware of an ice berg which he neglected to avoid causing a catastrophic incident, but I'm still not quite sure what exactly happened. One of my more memorable moments during the playthrough of the early section of the game was a flash back in which I inhabited the body of poor soul who didn't fare to well getting past a flooded part of the ship. Taking over his body in the past put me on the boat which I require to continue forward. while in the boat you are given a spot light which I used to appreciate the wonderfully rendered hostile environment until I hear a noise on the floor of my boat, OH MY GOSH theres someone in the water. The boat shakes around than I hear a noise behind me in the boat, I turn around just in time to see a frigid assailant tear into my face with his crazed sporadic fists. After knocking the assailant off the boat he continued to try and get back on, after kicking him back off multiple times I crossed the water and came safely on the other side. But I have only crossed the river styx, I fear there is still hell to pay.

jayjac11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By jayjac11

When I first put cryostasis in to play I was greeted by a moody and well designed intro where an old Russian folk tale is being read on screen, no doubt this story will correlate in  some way with the unfolding story of the game. After a slow (very very slow) walk around the first area of the ship I came upon several dead bodies through which I lived the poor souls last few moments. This dead person actions seem to mirror my path towards the ship, could this dead body be me, am I already dead? After I am Given a brief context sensitive tutorial on the basics of body heat management I make my way into the generator room. In the room there is a generator with a big red button, I hit the button and the lights turn on. looking at the wall I can see my shadow What I didn't expect to see was another human shadow dropping down behind me to which I am greeted with a large wail of insanity as I turn around and bear witness to a former crew mate who is now swinging his fists at me. After beating down the poor soul with my fists I walk some more down the ice covered hallways and fend off a few more baddys. during my slow decent into the depths of the "North Wind" (the name of the ship)  I find out that the captain was aware of an ice berg which he neglected to avoid causing a catastrophic incident, but I'm still not quite sure what exactly happened. One of my more memorable moments during the playthrough of the early section of the game was a flash back in which I inhabited the body of poor soul who didn't fare to well getting past a flooded part of the ship. Taking over his body in the past put me on the boat which I require to continue forward. while in the boat you are given a spot light which I used to appreciate the wonderfully rendered hostile environment until I hear a noise on the floor of my boat, OH MY GOSH theres someone in the water. The boat shakes around than I hear a noise behind me in the boat, I turn around just in time to see a frigid assailant tear into my face with his crazed sporadic fists. After knocking the assailant off the boat he continued to try and get back on, after kicking him back off multiple times I crossed the water and came safely on the other side. But I have only crossed the river styx, I fear there is still hell to pay.

Avatar image for gingertastic_10
    gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By gingertastic_10

The game sounds pretty cool. I watched the QL Dave did of it but he didn't talk of the beginning so it's good to see how it started. Looking forward to the next one.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By JJOR64

I got this game for free from Green Man Gaming when the first launched, and I haven't played it yet.  Maybe I will finally hop into it sometime next week.

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By MetalGearSunny

I've always been interested in Cryostasis, but my computer can only run Peggle. 

As for your writing, I recommend paragraphs.

GrandpaJelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By GrandpaJelly

I just got past this part today and the part after where you get into a big daddy like suit. So far it's a pretty good game, though I don't know if I'm just stupid but direction in this game is not too clear which makes for an immerse experience.  

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.