Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Crypt of the NecroDancer

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Apr 23, 2015

Enter the dungeons of dance and fight enemies to the beat of the music.

Crypt of the Necrodancer has Necrodanced Into My Heart

Ford_Dent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Ford_Dent
    FUCK YOU ROGUE I DON'T KNOW HOW TO PLAY YOU
    FUCK YOU ROGUE I DON'T KNOW HOW TO PLAY YOU

I’ll be the first to admit that I am particularly unfond of the original Rogue. I’m fucking terrible at it, I never know what I’m doing, and I die within like five minutes of getting into the dungeon. At one point I drank a potion and wound up poisoning myself. Other games that have taken Rogue’s mechanics, by contrast, have almost always managed to capture my interest (I had, until recently, been particularly fond of Legend of Dungeon, and my brother and I have played a fair amount of Abyss Odyssey, although we have as of yet failed miserably at unlocking any of the other characters).

I remember the Crypt of the Necrodancer unfinished QL going up ages ago, but I have a fairly strict policy when it comes to buying unfinished games (i.e. I tend not to do it, and I certainly don’t do it for full price), so while I was intrigued, I filed it away as something to check out later and left it at that. Then of course Halloween happened, and with it the Steam sale, and with that the idea of dropping a tenner on a game which, while not finished, at least seemed solid enough that I could probably get a tenner’s worth of enjoyment out of it (which is a pretty low bar to clear, honestly).

Crypt of the Necrodancer is basically all I’ve been playing for the last two weeks.

Yeah this is the jam right here
    Yeah this is the jam right here

I’m not sure what exactly it is that has caused me to become so addicted to this game, but the simplicity of the game (hit your buttons to the beat) and the fact combat is essentially based upon the idea of timing your movements against the movements of your enemies, there’s some kind of wonderful alchemy that transpires and the hooks of the game are dug deep.

Add to that the upgrade system, which rewards exploration and digging basically everywhere, and suddenly it’s not as much of a shock that I can’t seem to stop playing the game. It’s still unfinished—most of the alternate characters remain unlocked, and supposedly there’s different music and art to come, but it feels finished at this point—or at least it does to me. Any new content that gets added is all gravy—especially considering I’ve only just gotten to the second dungeon.

I was dead about two seconds after I took this picture. I had been playing for maybe thirty seconds before that. I am not good at this zone.
    I was dead about two seconds after I took this picture. I had been playing for maybe thirty seconds before that. I am not good at this zone.

Can we talk about that second dungeon, by the way? I would have been happy with more of the same, but instead there’s a whole different environment and enemies that have been quite happy to beat the ever-living shit out of me whenever I’ve attempted to get down there.

If this game were to show up on Vita, I would have to buy a Vita, because I had to spend a lot of time out of the house this past week and having the ability to play this game out of the house would be too good to pass up.

AN: A short one this week, because there were just too many fucking Cooks for me to get to something more substantial—and while Crypt of the Necrodancer is fucking fantastic, there’s not much else to say about it (although it does show a trend I’ve noticed recently where a smaller indie game decides to go with a female protagonist, because why the fuck not. I like this trend!

TOO MANY COOKS

Joemotycki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Everything about this post is great. Thanks for sharing

Ford_Dent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's distressingly little to say about Crypt of the Necrodancer other than "DUDE THIS GAME IS REALLY GOOD," but I gave it a whirl. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By BisonHero

Yeah, the game is super good. My only complaint is it only having three bosses right now, and while the chess boss is cleverly named (Deep Blues), it's kinda too straightforward. The other two have more interesting stuff going on (Death Metal and King Conga). But yeah, I'm guessing the bosses take a bunch of custom work to make, so it's probably expecting a little much that they have as much variety as The Binding of Isaac or something.

Ford_Dent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have only managed to beat King Conga--I don't think I've ever seen Death Metal, come to think of it. I like how each boss has their own tune--Deep Blues especially has a superb bit of music to accompany its ass-kickings. I assume more bosses might be in the pipeline as the game continues development, but I wouldn't feel too terrible if there's only one more boss.

Anyway it's not as if I'll be seeing them any time soon; I have no idea how I managed to get past zone 1 and I'm sure as hell having no luck so far with zone 2.

NmareBfly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just wait until you get till zone 3. It's got a great gimmick. Zone 4's not in yet, unfortunately.

It's also fucking rough. This game is savage and relentless unless you play it in dance pad mode.

This is the game that I have least regretted getting on early access. If they slapped on an ending it'd be ready for release right now.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I've been meaning to try this out for a while. I've watched a bunch of videos and it has some awesome music in it. I'm super wary of buying anything unfinished at this point. The two games I have taken a chance on I have not liked at all.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

I have not played this game, however I too have noticed a sudden rise in female protagonists in the indie scene, which is nice to see.

Ford_Dent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee: It is a trend that makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

I've been meaning to try this out for a while. I've watched a bunch of videos and it has some awesome music in it. I'm super wary of buying anything unfinished at this point. The two games I have taken a chance on I have not liked at all.

Yeah I have a pretty strict policy against buying unfinished games these days but the core gameplay of Necrodancer is good enough to make it worth the purchase--it would be very difficult indeed for them to magically fuck up this excellent gameplay loop.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.