Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Crysis 2

Game » consists of 37 releases. Released Mar 22, 2011

Set three years after the original Crysis, an ambushed Marine named Alcatraz dons the famous Nanosuit and fights his way through an obliterated New York City to stop the alien invasion.

A couple hours in, and already quite a few things glaringly wrong

• 82 results
    JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By JP_Russell
    @Rockdalf said:
    "@ajamafalous said:
    " @Rockdalf said:
    " It's obvious that you like the first game and the fact that the second game wasn't designed to be similar seems to be your biggest complaint. "
    I saw a lot of people using this same defense for Dragon Age 2. Is it not unfounded to want a sequel to be like it's predecessor? Obviously, if you're interested in a sequel, you enjoyed what the first game did and want more of it. When the developer starts removing entire gameplay mechanics that are staples of the first game, shouldn't those removals be eligible flaws to critique by fans of the first game? "
    I don't know, I guess it's a reasonable complaint, but it seems to mostly be perspective.  I wouldn't pick up a game personally on the assumption that it was designed to be like it's predecessor.  I mean some games are going to be similar, take the Halo franchise for example, but Mass Effect and it's direct sequel both had very different elements and changes to their game play, and not everyone would say those things were improvements.  Basically it's not unfounded to want a game to be like it's predecessor but it may be to say that the game is flawed because it is not.  Besides, I think Geno brought up plenty of valid examples on how this game is flawed besides his personal preference. "

None of Geno's comparisons that you cited were just a matter of personal preference, in my opinion.  Things like the size of the environments, the destructibility, and the limited ammo were things that played to the strengths of Crysis, so the point of bringing up the comparison is to show that they have been changed in ways that no longer play to the game's strengths, which makes them a perfectly legitimate flaw to bring up, I think.  The AI comparison was strictly qualitative, as was the barrel placement comparison as it compares the quality of an aspect of game design between the two games (implying one to be sensible, and the other to be blatantly lazy and haphazard).
    DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By DonPixel
    @Jack268 Ther's nothing this game could do to pleace geno, since the moment it was anounced for consoles his inner pc fanboy took control, his critizism while putting out some valid points it's overly harsh and to recurent into contrasting it with the first itineration.. ironically the "strong" points of crysis 1 he uses the most are for a lot of people including some media it's weekest points such as the world openess, AI and setting

Crysis 1 comes to me as disjuncted, odd, inconssistent experience. As I said this are matter of opinion not that any of this matter since geno is in a personal crusade against the "consolization" ( go figure ) of a ex pc "exclusive"

if judgin Crysis 2 hoooorrendous outcome is such a serious matter perhaps he should finish the game first and judge it for its own merits
    DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By DonPixel

sry about the typos, Im at LAX no edit option for iphone

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@Geno: Is this the PC version, yeah? 

I was definitely going to buy this, but after hearing a few opinions, I may steer clear until its cheaper. 

Edit: I'm hardly a PC elitist, but this genuinely seems like a case of 'dumbing-down for consoles'.  

Edit2: @DonPixel said:
    "openess, AI and setting "
    What? Bar the misstep they take about half-way through, all of those things only work in the games favour.  
    • It takes place in a gorgeous jungle-area 
    • The A.I. before the aliens appear is pretty awesome
    • Having an almost unlimited number of ways to approach any given section is a blessing.
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#55  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @superpope said:

" @Geno said:

" @Lord_Yeti: I think it's one of the greatest games ever made, partly because it has the most free-form gameplay in a first person shooter to date.  "

Really? The levels in the original Far Cry make Crysis 1 seem claustrophobic. "
    I don't even know how a game get's "more open" than Far Cry 2.

I was getting somewhat interested in Crysis 2 until I heard the 'openness' of the original was taken out (never played the first, just heard a lot about it). When I do get around to upgrading and returning to PC gaming (which will probably be around the time when Blizzard announces a release date for Diablo 3) I definitely look forward to checking out Crysis 1.
    Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#56  Edited By Tordah

Well, this is disappointing. I wasn't planning on picking it up anytime soon, but it sucks to hear that it doesn't hold up to the legacy of Crysis 1.

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By JP_Russell

I'm pretty interested to see what NanosuitNinja will think of Crysis 2.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#58  Edited By Geno
    @GetEveryone said:
    " @Geno: Is this the PC version, yeah? 

"
    Yeah, PC version.  

@JP_Russell said:
    "

I'm pretty interested to see what NanosuitNinja will think of Crysis 2.

"
    Me too. Knowing him as a master of stealth, I think he will be disappointed with the smaller levels and lack of "bubble" bushes. Could be wrong though. 
    Avatar image for joyfullofrockets
    JoyfullOFrockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#59  Edited By JoyfullOFrockets

Crrriticisssssmmmm.

Twisted_Scot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#60  Edited By Twisted_Scot
    @Geno said:

" Slowing the player's speed down so they have to listen/see something = bad.  
    - Hallway crawl. The environments are about 1/10 the size in Crysis 1.
     - Enemy AI is awful".

I havent played Crysis 1 but In early comment and reviews from people I kept hearing about how open worldish it was...is it hell. I agree with you there pretty standard linear path (so far).  As for AI I was laughing when your investigating the escape pods. The last AI left to kill was just running in circles like he was chasing his tail. Have been getting a lot of random, *AI has back to you, oh wait 180 degree turn-while-firing for no reason* "There he is" shit going on. As for the slowing player down to listen/see somthing its giving me flashbacks of gears games. I can walk and talk at the same friggin time dammit.
    All in all still enjoying the game and hoping it picks up a bit with the suit powers and general variety. Id say just don't believe the hype and it'll be fine. A lot of the problems i have with the game are similar to the issues i had with Kill zone 2 & 3.
    MayorFeedback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#61  Edited By MayorFeedback

Okay, re: the suit voice. Not  being able to change it to female sucks,but can you turn it off??? 

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Geno
    @drhans said:
    " Okay, re: the suit voice. Not  being able to change it to female sucks,but can you turn it off???  "
    Not that I can tell. 
    Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#63  Edited By Nekroskop

I think the best part of Crysis 2 is the fact that it's not DX11 enabled, but the leaked Beta version was. Hopefully it's something they'll add later.

Cymatics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#64  Edited By Cymatics

Be nice to Crytek, They just want to join the big boys console club now :p So instead of making the great games we all know they are capable of, the prefer making half ass'd casual games where headshots is cool, and using your head is lame. :p  
    Everything Crysis 1 was was is basicly gone, and replaced by simplicity and boredom. To bad that for a game to sell very well now days, you need to make a game with a dumb AI, simple gameplay, and as little complexity as possible. Yes, looking at you CoD for what you started :D yay@them...  
    And for the settings, I've seen a few games with worse settings, but... well.. guess that was back in the 90's... The settings is really showing a lowpoint of how careless Crytek is with the PC version this time around. And then shipping it unfinished as well? Auch, kinda suck. Guess I'll stick with Dice for my future FPS games for pc as Crytek just pushed them self out of my wallet. 

SpudBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#65  Edited By SpudBug

I love this game.  It's not perfect but a lot of people should understand many of these criticisms are coming from fans of the first PC game and directly comparing it to that. It is very different from the original but I think it stands on its own and is absolutely worth buying.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#66  Edited By Marz

The suit voice being male will make alot more sense at the end of the game.  I was a fan of the female voice from the first game but i understand why the suit voice needs to be male in this game.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Dallas_Raines
    @Zakihashi:  

Did you get raped by a console fan as a child or something? I'm just trying to figure out why someone would act like a crybaby asshole over a video game.
    teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By teh_pwnzorer

I purchased Crysis 1 for ~$5 on steam, during a sale.  I bought it to benchmark my dual gpu setup.  It's great for a $5 dollar game.  I'll probably wait for a sale on this one... 

About your post-processing gripe: I used a utility to get rid of the Codemasters pee filter in Grid.  Maybe, there will be something similar for this game, as well.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Jack268
    @ahaisthisourchance said:
    " I think the best part of Crysis 2 is the fact that it's not DX11 enabled, but the leaked Beta version was. Hopefully it's something they'll add later. "
    The leaked beta version did not have DX11
    korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By korwin
    @teh_pwnzorer said:
    " I purchased Crysis 1 for ~$5 on steam, during a sale.  I bought it to benchmark my dual gpu setup.  It's great for a $5 dollar game.  I'll probably wait for a sale on this one...  About your post-processing gripe: I used a utility to get rid of the Codemasters pee filter in Grid.  Maybe, there will be something similar for this game, as well. "
    If they do introduce DX11 they may move to DX11 post processing which performs the pass at full resolution as opposed to the 1/4 resolution pass you get with DX9 which produces the hideous fuzzy look of most ports.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Geno
    @teh_pwnzorer said:

" I purchased Crysis 1 for ~$5 on steam, during a sale.  I bought it to benchmark my dual gpu setup.  It's great for a $5 dollar game.  I'll probably wait for a sale on this one...  About your post-processing gripe: I used a utility to get rid of the Codemasters pee filter in Grid.  Maybe, there will be something similar for this game, as well. "

You can get rid of it through command lines in the system.cfg, but that introduces new problems. My main quarrel is with the temporal AA, but getting rid of it increases the jaggies and from my early testing it doesn't seem like any conventional MSAA or SSAA technique works with the game to any substantial degree (smooths edges but also introduces artifacting along them). The amount of glow is also hideous, but there's only two settings, on or off. In Crysis 1 this setting could be adjusted over a wide spectrum. They've also locked the in-game command console in Crysis 2, and have provided little help with what available command lines there are (best we can do is extrapolate from CryEngine 2 at the moment). From what I hear, the leaked beta build actually had a functioning command console, so it's bewildering why they wouldn't put it in the final game.   

Furthermore, they've excluded the .cry files, encrypted the .pak files, and have not included an editor of any sort which have effectively killed any serious modding potential for the game. 
    BombKareshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By BombKareshi
    @Geno: Regarding the main theme, that's not a bad piece of music, if you ask me. Not particularly awesome, but far from unacceptable.

The scratching sounds are there for atmosphere. Sure, if that was the whole composition, I'd be rigth there with you, but the actual main theme is brought in a little later. This melody works much better, though it is rather repetitive for my tastes (there is also a lack of harmonic variation). The strength of the piece lies in the final section where the violin part (the "scratching") joins with the main theme. Granted, most players probably won't listen to the theme for 3 minutes to actually get there.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Geno
    @dudeglove said:

"

zing "
    Problem, Crytek?  

But in all seriousness, I played through the game a bit more and some of the problems seem to have mitigated. Many of the things that irked me seem most prominent only in the earlier levels, possibly to serve as a tutorial purpose. It's not a bad game by any stretch but not as groundbreaking as the original Crysis. There's also a lot of stuff that's janky (the AI for one, later in the game you'll also find that NPC character models are heavily re-used; I saw 5 of the same model in close proximity at one point). 80-90 sounds about right. 
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @Geno: I loved Crysis 1 for it's open world and possibilities, powers, weapon customization and the way you had to actually FIND ammo or else you will run out of it. Also loved the environment and picking up dudes and chucking them, the game is amazing. 

Did they just trash this and try to make it more like Call of Duty?
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Geno
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    " @Geno: I loved Crysis 1 for it's open world and possibilities, powers, weapon customization and the way you had to actually FIND ammo or else you will run out of it. Also loved the environment and picking up dudes and chucking them, the game is amazing.  Did they just trash this and try to make it more like Call of Duty? "
    Basically. It's not -exactly- a copy of Call of Duty like a game such as Homefront is, and there's no "infinitely spawning enemies until you step on the correct pixel" mechanic but they do a lot of the "look over here, an explosion!" type stuff. It's also completely linear; the more open areas are no larger than anything in a game such as Half Life 2. Except for one or two instances in the game, you never feel like you're traversing a city. 
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By AhmadMetallic

man it must suck for you that a game you love so much got such a shit sequel.. god damn it thats the worst feeling ever 

i still think Crysis is the best first person shooter ever made, but for some reason i just have no interest in this sequel whatsoever.. no purchase for me, and i'll keep on thinking that Crysis is the only game and that there is no franchise

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#80  Edited By Ramone

Bummer dude. I sort of liked Far Cry 2 and was quite interested in playing the original Crysis so to hear they stripped out the openness is kind of dissapointing.

bwat47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By bwat47
    @Geno said:

- Voice acting is shit. Suit voice is out of place as well. The suit voice should only be saying things that are modular, e.g. able to be formed from a combination of basic words using AI. Not spouting full on paragraphs of detailed instructions. 

haha just wait until the ending of the story (regarding the nanosuit)

I actually quite liked the game besides the convoluted story and terribad voice acting. It is more linear than crysis 1 ina  way but the level design is good in that most of the areas you are fighting in open up and there's plenty of different options and places to flank. Crysis 1 started out awesome and sandboxy but got super linear near the end. Crysis 2 is more consistant and I found there was a good variety in the gameplay.

VooDooPC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By VooDooPC

I'm pretty sure the only destructible things in Crysis 1 were trees, those tin shanty things, and the occasional sign post. The way you say everything but boulders were destructible makes it sound like Bad Company.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.