Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Crysis 2

Game » consists of 37 releases. Released Mar 22, 2011

Set three years after the original Crysis, an ambushed Marine named Alcatraz dons the famous Nanosuit and fights his way through an obliterated New York City to stop the alien invasion.

Bringing me back into shooters (Crysis 2)

ttocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

Edited By ttocs

I'm typically not the type of person who likes FPS games.  I'll play them, sure, but I usually look for some sort of story or amazing gameplay mechanic to keep me interested.  The CoD or Battlefields of today just don't do it for me.  They are so run down and run of the mill that I get bored after finishing the campaign and toss it aside.  It's rare that I play a multiplayer game for longer than a couple hours because of the same thing - tedious, repetitive, gameplay.  So, when I picked up Crysis 2, I wasn't expecting too much from it because it is a shooter and it does have similar level progression multiplayer.  I was afraid the game was going to try so hard to be like everything else that it would lose the cool features it did spout out in press releases - namely the suit powers. 

So, color me surprised when I find out that the game is actually amazing.  I'm playing the game on the PC on the highest settings and I was at first blown away by the visuals.  When that died down, the suit powers and strategy gameplay elements really started to shine.  Stealthing to get a better vantage point only to backstab and then retreat into the shadows again before taking out an enemy garrison never gets old.  While it's not as open world as other games (namely it's predecessor)  the game still gives you ample opportunity to spread your wings and do as you please.  Where has this type of gameplay been?  I love it.   

And this love for Crysis' gameplay doesn't end with the single player.  The multiplayer portion of the game, while similar to others in design, is inherently different due to the suit powers.  Stealthing, armor, speed, etc. all add a level of strategy that I'm not used to in multiplayer games.  Can it be that I've found a solid shooter to finally devote my time to that I won't get bored of?  God I hope so.   I guess only time will tell. 

If you're interested, check out my first impressions of Crysis 2 to see how I feel after about 4 hours with single player and another 90 with mutlplayer here:  http://www.giantbomb.com/crysis-2/61-26754/user-reviews/?review_id=18945

ttocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By ttocs

I'm typically not the type of person who likes FPS games.  I'll play them, sure, but I usually look for some sort of story or amazing gameplay mechanic to keep me interested.  The CoD or Battlefields of today just don't do it for me.  They are so run down and run of the mill that I get bored after finishing the campaign and toss it aside.  It's rare that I play a multiplayer game for longer than a couple hours because of the same thing - tedious, repetitive, gameplay.  So, when I picked up Crysis 2, I wasn't expecting too much from it because it is a shooter and it does have similar level progression multiplayer.  I was afraid the game was going to try so hard to be like everything else that it would lose the cool features it did spout out in press releases - namely the suit powers. 

So, color me surprised when I find out that the game is actually amazing.  I'm playing the game on the PC on the highest settings and I was at first blown away by the visuals.  When that died down, the suit powers and strategy gameplay elements really started to shine.  Stealthing to get a better vantage point only to backstab and then retreat into the shadows again before taking out an enemy garrison never gets old.  While it's not as open world as other games (namely it's predecessor)  the game still gives you ample opportunity to spread your wings and do as you please.  Where has this type of gameplay been?  I love it.   

And this love for Crysis' gameplay doesn't end with the single player.  The multiplayer portion of the game, while similar to others in design, is inherently different due to the suit powers.  Stealthing, armor, speed, etc. all add a level of strategy that I'm not used to in multiplayer games.  Can it be that I've found a solid shooter to finally devote my time to that I won't get bored of?  God I hope so.   I guess only time will tell. 

If you're interested, check out my first impressions of Crysis 2 to see how I feel after about 4 hours with single player and another 90 with mutlplayer here:  http://www.giantbomb.com/crysis-2/61-26754/user-reviews/?review_id=18945

Avatar image for joyfullofrockets
    JoyfullOFrockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By JoyfullOFrockets

Glad to see someone's diggin' it.

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Contro

The players own creativity plays a major role in Crysis, it's what makes the experience differ to any other FPS. If you lack creative thought, any Crysis can be a dull experience, but if you open you mind, plan a little, use the environment and the suits abilities in imaginative ways, you have so much more fun. 

ttocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ttocs
    @Contro said:
    " The players own creativity plays a major role in Crysis, it's what makes the experience differ to any other FPS. If you lack creative thought, any Crysis can be a dull experience, but if you open you mind, plan a little, use the environment and the suits abilities in imaginative ways, you have so much more fun.  "
    That's a good point.  When I play the game, I'm the ultimate badass.  I have every possible weapon at my disposal and I can leap from tall buildings, hide, etc.  I use it all to stalk my prey and take them down.  It's actually quite fun.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.