Crysis 2 MP Demo - Likes and Dislikes

#1 Edited by Seppli (9730 posts) -

Like:

• Graphics (Pretty and runs smoothly)
  • Nanosuit Powers (The holy trinity of Armor/Invisiblity/Supervision allows for diverse and cool core gameplay)
  • Energy Management (Managing powers and energy drain/recovery)
  • Maps (for an Arena Shooter, I kinda dig 'em - I hate crazy maze-like maps, these aren't claustrophobic)
  • Weapons and Attachements (Weapons feel good and powerful, the Holo-Attachment is quite fun)

Dislike:
  • Movement too costly (Energy)
  • Killstreaks (implementation is okay - picking up dogtags de-emphasizes lazy camping - just don't like the core-concept too much)
  • Non-Dedicated Grenadebutton (really Crytek?)
  • Melee is Weaksauce (only 1 Hit/Kill out of Cloak - any melee into the back should be 1HK)
  • Slide move (not out of Armor mode and too short -  I'd like to slide for as long as I wish to - 'Vanquish'-style at high energy cost)
  • Air Stomp (It's a perk instead of a standard move - Recovery way too slow - mostly useless)

I like the demo a lot more than I thought I would, it being an Arena Shooter at its core. The maps are more open, than I thought and the nano-suit makes it less of a run and gun affair. It's all about energy management. I like to have energy for Armor mode at all times. So I rarely sprint or jump. I am in Nano-Vision most of the time and pop Armor as soon as I see a foe. I'd call my demo playstyle 'Juggernaught'. Slow. Methodical. Hard to kill. Playing preferably with the LMG. Started off being more of a ninja, until I got caught once too often with my pants down by nanovision. Ninja is pretty awesome though. Stabby stabby. Snipey snipey.

Really looking forward to having all weapons and attachments and suit-powerups. Tons of viable playstyles. Hopefully there's a way to significantly reduce energy cost of jump and sprint. I'd love to go all parcours/shotgun/melee.
#2 Posted by Bollard (5022 posts) -

Is this the PC demo? Way too many problems for me to enjoy it. Log in issues, game starting issues, sound not working with USB headset issues, and also wtf is up with the graphical settings? I have no idea which one is meant to be the best - and Hardcore doesn't even have the water effects on the screen when passing under a water source that you even get on consoles. Plus it had so much bloom or glare that I could barely see shit for the sky. The light was bleeding onto everything in the environment. Really put me off the game, won't be buying it any more - and I had hopes for it before this year, but they just tailed off... and this has nailed its coffin closed. 

#3 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

I think the energy management aspect is completely fucked up. If you are shot once in any mode you lose all your energy, which means that by the time you activate armor mode, you will have to little energy for it to make any difference anyway. It seems like the different armor functions just intersect with eachothers too much, seeing as you can still slide in both cloak and armor, and being shot still drains energy in both power and cloak.  

There just aren't enough unique benefits to being in armor and being in power mode. I think it would be much better if getting shot didn't remove all your battery in the other modes, so you can choose to trade battery for health or health for battery, instead of losing both in it's current implementation. 

It's not only movements that is costly, standing still in Cloak only lasts 1/9th of the time it did in Crysis 1. It's understandable though, these maps are really tiny compared to the ones in the original. 

And yes, Air Stomp is terrible. I've never managed to 1 hit KO someone with it and it takes like what, 2 seconds? 3 seconds? to recover. It's pure garbage. 

Still, in it's current form, there are more enjoyable multiplayer games out there in my opinion.

#4 Posted by jmrwacko (2444 posts) -

I actually really like having to switch to a grenade for once. I'm so sick of a dedicated grenade button, it means that everyone spams grenades all day and it looks incredibly ridiculous to just magically reach a grenade out of your pocket and throw it in the span of a half second.

Also, melee killing in one hit to the back would just encourage silly brawler play, like in Halo. It's much better than you can recover from getting wacked in the back by some idiot with silent footsteps if he's not careful enough. Remember, you can go into stealth mode and one-hit kill people with the knife attack.

I also disagree with your opinion that the movement is too costly. Just as armor mode and invisibility are very temporary abilities, so too is the ability to zip around the map and scale walls in a single bound. A full bar of energy is enough to get from one end of the Rooftops map to the other while sprinting and jumping.

#5 Posted by jmrwacko (2444 posts) -
@Jack268 said:
"  Still, in it's current form, there are more enjoyable multiplayer games out there in my opinion. "
Meh, I'm sick of Bad Company 2 and Black Ops. From what I've played in the demo, Crysis 2 is a really refreshing change of pace. Maybe not revolutionary, but I'm looking at DICE's BF3 for the next BF2.
#6 Posted by Enigma777 (6047 posts) -

I don't like how sprinting uses your energy. Also I think it looks pretty bad. The colors are washed out, the textures are flat and it has the worst pop-in I've ever seen. Not too keen on the gun sounds either.

#7 Edited by Geno (6479 posts) -

- The game has some better global illumination compared to the first game. Character models and gun models are improved as well, along with some textures. 
- Ground pound  

- Ambient background (flying ships, explosions etc.) 
- Female announcer voice (sounds like TF2) 
- Relatively low performance demands 
- Versatility of suit powers  

Dislikes: 

- Login issues 
- Derivative gameplay (COD much?) 
- Use of temporal AA and too much HDR. 
- Few graphics options 
- Encrypted config file (modders are already flipping their shit over this) 
#8 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -
@jmrwacko said:
" @Jack268 said:
"  Still, in it's current form, there are more enjoyable multiplayer games out there in my opinion. "
Meh, I'm sick of Bad Company 2 and Black Ops. From what I've played in the demo, Crysis 2 is a really refreshing change of pace. Maybe not revolutionary, but I'm looking at DICE's BF3 for the next BF2. "
I guess. I'm just holding out on SP games instead though because I'm sick of this demo too :p

#9 Posted by ReyGitano (2465 posts) -

I think Crysis 2 is doing a lot of things differently from other FPS's, and that's cool. Unfortunately I don't like a lot of it in practice. 
I have to say that my favorite part about the multi player is all the talking that's going on between the playable characters. 
I usually mute everyone, so it's quite helpful. 
I think my least favorite thing about it is how quickly you die if someone kills you from behind. It makes dying very inconsistent. I either die before I get a change to react, or I just bounce entire clips worth of bullets of my front.

#10 Posted by Spoonman671 (4371 posts) -

My main complaint is that it really doesn't capitalize on what makes the Crysis games unique.  More expansive maps that require a more considered approach could have felt great for this game.  Still, I'm looking forward to experiencing the full multiplayer just because I'd like to see what Free Radical (Crytek UK) has been up to.

#11 Posted by Pinworm45 (4088 posts) -
@SlashseveN303 said:
"I either die before I get a change to react, or I just bounce entire clips worth of bullets of my front. "
If someone gets the drop on you from behind, you deserved to die. Do you really think it'd be fair for some guy to be attacking you from behind, and then you managed to turn around and kill him, while during those 3 seconds he was laying waste to you?  

Try and listen more carefully. The audio is REALLY good at giving away peoples positions. It's not something you notice until you choose to notice it, and it helps a lot. 

Also, the second you start taking any damage, hit Q. It'll put you in armor mode and give you enough time to turn around or get to cover.
#12 Posted by Seppli (9730 posts) -
@Jack268 said:
" I think the energy management aspect is completely fucked up. If you are shot once in any mode you lose all your energy, which means that by the time you activate armor mode, you will have to little energy for it to make any difference anyway. It seems like the different armor functions just intersect with eachothers too much, seeing as you can still slide in both cloak and armor, and being shot still drains energy in both power and cloak.   There just aren't enough unique benefits to being in armor and being in power mode. I think it would be much better if getting shot didn't remove all your battery in the other modes, so you can choose to trade battery for health or health for battery, instead of losing both in it's current implementation.  It's not only movements that is costly, standing still in Cloak only lasts 1/9th of the time it did in Crysis 1. It's understandable though, these maps are really tiny compared to the ones in the original.  And yes, Air Stomp is terrible. I've never managed to 1 hit KO someone with it and it takes like what, 2 seconds? 3 seconds? to recover. It's pure garbage.  Still, in it's current form, there are more enjoyable multiplayer games out there in my opinion. "
Erm... shooting out of cloak drains all energy. De-cloak and shoot to prevent that from happening. If you are being shot in Armor mode, you'll die before you run out of energy. It just increases your survivabilty a little bit. Sprinting and jumping uses up energy too, so that might be why you are always out of energy.

Everything other than normal speed movement depletes energy. You are always forced to manage you dos and don'ts. Don't sprint, unless you must or need to. That said, I'd prefer if movement wasn't costly. I'd rather have jumping and sprinting being unlimited. Too often, I feel like I need to get somewhere quickly, just to find myself without energy. Too much downtime for my taste.
#13 Edited by Seppli (9730 posts) -
@Chavtheworld said:

" Is this the PC demo? Way too many problems for me to enjoy it. Log in issues, game starting issues, sound not working with USB headset issues, and also wtf is up with the graphical settings? I have no idea which one is meant to be the best - and Hardcore doesn't even have the water effects on the screen when passing under a water source that you even get on consoles. Plus it had so much bloom or glare that I could barely see shit for the sky. The light was bleeding onto everything in the environment. Really put me off the game, won't be buying it any more - and I had hopes for it before this year, but they just tailed off... and this has nailed its coffin closed.  "

PC Demo. I'm not that picky. It runs smoothly. Has high rez textures and neat effects and quite interactive environments. I'm in.

Many players seem to have problems with gameplay-affecting lighting effects. I can remember countless threads on how Medal of Honor is a blurry mess. I for one find 'blinding sun' and the likes pretty cool effects. Enriching gameplay, because it's gameplay-relevant.

Of course, PC players and their tampering will not take part in the 'BRIGHT' future.

Edit: btw. you do know that the PC demo only supports DX9. There's gonna be proper DX11 support, which might be prettier and run even smoother with cool effects.
#14 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -
@Seppli said: 
"Erm... shooting out of cloak drains all energy. "
Yes, of course, that's not the problem, I mean that getting shot by someone else while in cloak also drains all your armor. It's like all the modes overlap a little with eachother.
#15 Posted by AlisterCat (5396 posts) -

I love pretty much everything about it. Really wish there was some auto join/quick match option. I just want to get in to a game ,especially in a demo. I don't care about server choice.

#16 Posted by Seppli (9730 posts) -
@Jack268 said:
" @Seppli said: 
"Erm... shooting out of cloak drains all energy. "
Yes, of course, that's not the problem, I mean that getting shot by someone else while in cloak also drains all your armor. It's like all the modes overlap a little with eachother. "
Hmmm? You can either have Cloak OR Armor mode active. Not sure if getting shot when cloaked makes one lose all energy, but that might be true. Usually, getting shot without Armor on equals death anyways.
#17 Posted by Bollard (5022 posts) -
@Seppli: I should hope the DX11 is quite a bit better.  And I'll give the demo another chance - when the sound actually works.
#18 Posted by buft (3298 posts) -

i like it, im stilling playing bad company 2 and for me its a nice change of pace but really i want it for the singleplayer.

#19 Posted by Raineko (433 posts) -

I tried the demo today and I liked it. The graphics, particle effects and physics are really cool but I think this game has way too much motion blur. I think that also kills some fps.

#20 Posted by natetodamax (19136 posts) -

I just don't like how derivative it is of other games. Nothing about it felt fresh or new to me.

#21 Posted by Gizmo (5389 posts) -

Played a few hours of the PC demo, Killzone 3 seems superior in almost every way, the customization in Crysis is a decent addition though.

#22 Posted by Borodin (416 posts) -

I enjoyed the first xbox demo a lot more when the melee was one hit kill and 2 hits if the hitee had armour mode on. I feel like since they changed that, I'm standing off a lot more, getting less mileage out of the traversal stuff and just generally having less fun. I could just be crazy but IMO that one change has really changed the dynamic. 

Before the change, you could use stealth mode to try and quickly close the gap between you and a guy and melee him - sounds overpowered but the game gives you a whole bunch of perks designed to detect cloaked players and there was *nothing* sweeter than spotting a guy running at you in stealth and flicking into armour mode with a big grin on your face "my turn!". Now that it's 2 hit kill though, it isn't worth trying that, the odds of you getting two melee hits in before the guy activates armour mode or just straight up shoots you to death are pretty slim. It also seems like theyve reduced the length of time you can be in cloak between the two demos, not 100% on that but it certainly seemed a much faster drain - that only makes my previous point worse, there isn't even any point in trying to get that first melee hit on a guy and trying to finish him, because the energy you used getting up close will leave you hurting in the armour mode duel after that, again, not worth it.

Also it probably hasn't helped that the majority of the matches I've played in the new demos has been on the Pier map which I think compares really badly to the rooftop map. That map just has no real focus, a wide open bit next to a multilevel building - and that building has some really horrendously placed spawnpoints - hint game devs, putting spawnpoints at the bottom of a staircase is fucking retarded (the killzone 3 beta map had some great examples). 

On the whole, the first demo was a game I really liked to play and felt was different enough from the crowd of fps games to stand out, but now some of that uniqueness has been taken away, the suit seems less important than it was and as a result it plays more like a generic fps run and gun. 

/rant

#23 Edited by Bollard (5022 posts) -
@Pinworm45 said:

" @SlashseveN303 said:

"I either die before I get a change to react, or I just bounce entire clips worth of bullets of my front. "
Try and listen more carefully. The audio is REALLY good at giving away peoples positions. It's not something you notice until you choose to notice it, and it helps a lot. "
When the sound actually works that must be real nice. But for quite a few people like me with G35's no sound is the only way to play this game... 

EDIT: Also for anyone playing the PC game, I still have no idea which graphic setting is meant to be best (surely hardcore?) but Advanced looks 1 million times better than Hardcore. Also changing the FOV to 90 as suggested in another thread did wonders.
#24 Edited by Korosuzo (169 posts) -

I really liked the demo and I think it sold me on buying the game.  After watching the quick look I was leaning towards labeling it as just another generic shooter but now after having the chance to play it myself my opinion has changed.    

It does take some time to get comfortable with all the different abilities, sliding, using grenades from the d-pad (which i love as it helps prevent spamming), knowing when to use nano-suit armor or stealth, etc.  I feel like this game has more depth than most shooters and will hopefully be the game I can sink hours into online and continue to have fun like BFBC2 and Halo:Reach. 

Edit: I couldn't disagree more with borodin.  I've played enough shooters with one hit melee kills and it ruins close combat tactics. Glad they changed it to 2 hits.

#25 Edited by Geno (6479 posts) -
@Chavtheworld said:

I still have no idea which graphic setting is meant to be best (surely hardcore?) but Advanced looks 1 million times better than Hardcore. Also changing the FOV to 90 as suggested in another thread did wonders. "

Hardcore is the highest setting. Advanced looks better than Hardcore because it uses reduced post-processing; the HDR in Hardcore is garish. 
#26 Posted by Bollard (5022 posts) -
@Geno: Thanks for clearing that up. I just really wanna be able to play this with sound now... :(
#27 Posted by Raven10 (1587 posts) -

I really liked the demo. It ran really well compared to the first game, the combat was fast but the suit abilities added some strategy, the maps are well made, and unlike some I haven't experienced any technical problems with logging in or sound or anything like that. As for the lighting, I haven't had any issue with it. I think it looks really cool. And Hardcore is the highest setting. I tested by using fraps. On gamer I got 100 fps, on advanced 75, and on hardcore 45. Honestly, if you don't like the extreme HDR (I'm a big fan) then from that I'd recommend playing on hardcore as you get quite a few frames back. Enough that you could even V Sync it.

#28 Posted by Geno (6479 posts) -
@Chavtheworld said:
" @Geno: Thanks for clearing that up. I just really wanna be able to play this with sound now... :( "
I heard switching audio channels might fix the issue. 
#29 Posted by Bollard (5022 posts) -
@Geno: I've tried everything short of removing/reinstalling drivers, but I don't care that much. Thanks though.
#30 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

The demo has been patched: 

• “Press Start to Begin” has been changed to “Press Enter to Begin” on the main menu
• Ping changes in server browser - no ping for anyone now (all 0) – “Crytek is working very hard to fix this for the shipping game”
• Fixed crash if getting force disconnected from a dedicated server (although the force disconnect issue has been resolved anyway)
• Account creation now works properly
• G35 headset fix now implemented
• People not able to sign in with certain characters such as “-“ or “numbers” in their username, now can  

http://www.mycrysis.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=9069 

Enjoy having an even harder time to find servers with decent ping. I guess the "press enter to begin" is a good thing though. Whatevs. 

#31 Posted by Maclintok (177 posts) -

As the holy trinity of CoD/Halo/Battlefield continue to suck the oxygen out of the multiplayer FPS space, I can only hope that Crysis 2 picks up a following that sticks around for at least a few months, because I've found the demo very enjoyable. 

I would balk at all the limitations placed on the suit powers and still question how heavily they should tie power drain to the standard sprint function.  In the end, I realize that these kind of limitations are necessary to maintain balance.  The demos have hopefully served as a giant tuning exercise for Crytek's designers and I hope they continue to massage the numbers a bit more and focus on the best gameplay features. 

Personally, the real stand-out in the game is Cloaking.  Everything else seems... very optional or even unnecessary to the point of being a luxury, such as the running slide or the air stomp.  Granted, I'm not the best online player out there and all it takes is one guy to start using these seemingly ineffective powers in cool ways.  Only time will tell. 

I like toggling on the grenades:  cuts down on the grenade spamming a lot...  to the point of curbing grenade use altogether! 

The latest iteration of melee attacks is fine.  A melee hit should never be instant-kill although there's plenty of arguments for it since it's a high-risk maneuver.  Well, that's the thing, it's not as high-risk if you're always stealthing around with the cloak.  Use it to finish off a wounded soldier after he's been softened up.  And if you're on the receiving end, there's a small window for you to recover.

#32 Posted by DystopiaX (5241 posts) -
@Maclintok said:
" As the holy trinity of CoD/Halo/Battlefield continue to suck the oxygen out of the multiplayer FPS space, I can only hope that Crysis 2 picks up a following that sticks around for at least a few months, because I've found the demo very enjoyable.  I would balk at all the limitations placed on the suit powers and still question how heavily they should tie power drain to the standard sprint function.  In the end, I realize that these kind of limitations are necessary to maintain balance.  The demos have hopefully served as a giant tuning exercise for Crytek's designers and I hope they continue to massage the numbers a bit more and focus on the best gameplay features.  Personally, the real stand-out in the game is Cloaking.  Everything else seems... very optional or even unnecessary to the point of being a luxury, such as the running slide or the air stomp.  Granted, I'm not the best online player out there and all it takes is one guy to start using these seemingly ineffective powers in cool ways.  Only time will tell.  I like toggling on the grenades:  cuts down on the grenade spamming a lot...  to the point of curbing grenade use altogether!  The latest iteration of melee attacks is fine.  A melee hit should never be instant-kill although there's plenty of arguments for it since it's a high-risk maneuver.  Well, that's the thing, it's not as high-risk if you're always stealthing around with the cloak.  Use it to finish off a wounded soldier after he's been softened up.  And if you're on the receiving end, there's a small window for you to recover. "
Personally I find myself using Max armor the most- I find seeing cloaked people kinda easy. As soon as I see an enemy, I hit max armor and start shooting. Assuming I get teh shot off first, I'll usually win cause I took the first shot. 

Personally I found the demo ok, not great, not terrible. What makes or breaks this game for me is the singleplayer.
#33 Posted by Enigma777 (6047 posts) -

Played a couple of more hours yesterday and I think I figured out what bugs me about this game. When you shot someone there's about a 1 second delay before they drop dead. Same thing when you die. It's really jarring. Also the guns just don't feel good. Aiming is loose and the sound/muzzle flash is bad. I was testing this out with the sniper riffle and it just doesn't feel right when you shoot. Also the bullet spread and the whole ballistic model is all over the place.  

Here's a great example of what I mean: I was shooting a guy from behind a window with my pistol and he was shooting in a spot about 20 feet away from me with an LMG since he didn't know where I was. Then I suddenly die out of nowhere. In his killcam, it actually showed him shooting in the other corner of the room, but the bullet spread was so damn large than one bullet literally traveled 20 feet away from it's destination right into my cranium. I wouldn't have believed it unless I had seen it.

#34 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5120 posts) -

I played the first 360 demo awhile ago.  I thought it was ok, but I didn't think it was anything special.
#35 Posted by Mystyr_E (1172 posts) -

I think it's kind of meh. It's a nice change of pace from more realistic stuff like Bad Company 2 and Black Ops but the weird discrepancy between bullets that I shoot that take forever to kill and me with maximum armor dying in about...3. Like killcams are literally me shooting at him, he goes ADS, bursts fires once and down. Lovely.

#36 Posted by Enigma777 (6047 posts) -
@Mystyr_E said:
" I think it's kind of meh. It's a nice change of pace from more realistic stuff like Bad Company 2 and Black Ops but the weird discrepancy between bullets that I shoot that take forever to kill and me with maximum armor dying in about...3. Like killcams are literally me shooting at him, he goes ADS, bursts fires once and down. Lovely. "
Yea, I had the same problem. One guy would put in 3 bullets in me and I would die really fast even with armor on and on the other hand I would be shooting someone at point blank range wasting an entire clip yet none of the bullets seem to hit him.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.