Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Crysis 2

Game » consists of 37 releases. Released Mar 22, 2011

Set three years after the original Crysis, an ambushed Marine named Alcatraz dons the famous Nanosuit and fights his way through an obliterated New York City to stop the alien invasion.

Crysis 2 respawns enemies

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

Edited By delta_ass

Okay, the game does respawn enemies in areas, as long as you haven't triggered some invisible condition.

I walked up to the entrance of a base. Inside were three soldiers. I just peeked in close enough to take one out with a silenced shotgun. A moment later, he respawned right in front of me. I shot him down again. Then I walked inside and shot the other two soldiers. Then I walked past their bodies and turned around. Behold, there was another respawned soldier. So I shot him too. 

Here's my video of this particular phenomenon. It's helpful that the game checkpointed right before the enemy group. Three soldiers magically turn into six kills. Very sloppy work by Crytek.

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By delta_ass

Okay, the game does respawn enemies in areas, as long as you haven't triggered some invisible condition.

I walked up to the entrance of a base. Inside were three soldiers. I just peeked in close enough to take one out with a silenced shotgun. A moment later, he respawned right in front of me. I shot him down again. Then I walked inside and shot the other two soldiers. Then I walked past their bodies and turned around. Behold, there was another respawned soldier. So I shot him too. 

Here's my video of this particular phenomenon. It's helpful that the game checkpointed right before the enemy group. Three soldiers magically turn into six kills. Very sloppy work by Crytek.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By End_Boss

Why is this surprising or significant?

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By delta_ass

It's generally not a good thing to spawn enemies out of nowhere. It was also something that they avoided with the first Crysis.

MayorFeedback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By MayorFeedback

That seems more like a bug than by design, but yeah, that's pretty rough.  

Homefront was the worst about this, though, and by design. Dudes would literally spawn three feet away from you out of thin air, over and over again, because you hadn't crossed that invisible threshold.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By End_Boss
    @Delta_Ass: Fair enough, but it isn't unusual for modern shooters to have respawning enemies, so I don't think I can hold it against them. Yes, your video makes it look pretty bad, but to be fair you are tweaking what appears to be a slightly busted stealth mechanic pretty far out of its intended form of use.
    Eaxis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Eaxis

I have seen guys spawning right in front of me. But the worst is at a mission where I was in the back sniping, and the enemies never stopped spawning.
    delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By delta_ass
    @End_Boss said:
    " @Delta_Ass: Fair enough, but it isn't unusual for modern shooters to have respawning enemies, so I don't think I can hold it against them. Yes, your video makes it look pretty bad, but to be fair you are tweaking what appears to be a slightly busted stealth mechanic pretty far out of its intended form of use. "
    Yes, it's not unusual, and it's a trend that needs to end. Call of Duty does it, but guess what... I can't stand it in CoD either. I can and will hold it against them, because Crysis was a game that deviated from modern shooters and blazed its own path quite successfully. 

And no, I'm not tweaking the stealth mechanic far out of its intended form of use. I'm activating it and using it to kill enemies while they're unaware. That's what you're supposed to do. That's the whole point of stealth mode.
    delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By delta_ass
    @Eaxis said:
    " I have seen guys spawning right in front of me. But the worst is at a mission where I was in the back sniping, and the enemies never stopped spawning. "
    Oh yea, I've had the same thing happen to me. But with those situations, it's a lot harder to visually prove that they're just respawning. Just gotta keep sniping and hope the waves end after a while.
    mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By mfpantst

meh- I feel like the spawning and re-spawning of enemies in FPS's is pretty standard issue by now.  certain other games had unlimited re-spawns until the player advances.  HOWEVER, I have not played crysis but I did play alot of Far Cry (not Far Cry 2- that's not crytek's work and so doesn't count to this argument).  Far Cry made use of specific enemy counts in specific places- each time you played through a section.  This would then seem a departure for crytek- but not for FPS games.  For the record- the way you could memorize enemy movements in Far Cry and work out optimal strategies was cool- so I see how this would be a downgrade.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By TheHBK

There are aliens in this game, so it is possible that it is a part of the story.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

@End_Boss said:
    " Why is this surprising or significant? "
    Because Crysis is about an open sandbox environment where you take advantage of the situation and the enemies at your disposal. The fact that there's spawning enemies ruins the design philosophy that Crytek always followed as game developers.
    scorch62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By scorch62

I think that's Crytek's way of calling you a pussy.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.