Crysis 2 To Support 3D

Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

The follow-up to the game with the most ridiculous PC system requirements in recent memory will support technology that almost no-one has or wants to make room to afford. As announced during the EA's E3 2010 press conference, all three versions of Crysis 2 will support stereoscopic 3D. 

== TEASER == “At Crytek, we always strive to raise the technology bar.  As the 3D revolution sweeps movies and television, we are excited to bring Crysis 2 to 3D, making it the first big action game to be available in true stereoscopic 3D,” Crytek CEO Cevat Yerli said in a statement. “The 3D experience represents a quantum leap in interactive entertainment. With all of the same story and action seen in the 2D version of the game, the 3D version adds another dimension of intensity and immersion to the action.”

Crytek showed a special 3D cinematic scene of the game to press during the briefing, which followed a solid seven or eight minutes of combat footage set in the middle of a broken Grand Central Station. There was a big robot, the usual nanosuit silliness, explosions, and even a Hummer escape.  

Crysis 2 hits the Xbox 360, PS3, and PC in 2010.
#1 Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

The follow-up to the game with the most ridiculous PC system requirements in recent memory will support technology that almost no-one has or wants to make room to afford. As announced during the EA's E3 2010 press conference, all three versions of Crysis 2 will support stereoscopic 3D. 

== TEASER == “At Crytek, we always strive to raise the technology bar.  As the 3D revolution sweeps movies and television, we are excited to bring Crysis 2 to 3D, making it the first big action game to be available in true stereoscopic 3D,” Crytek CEO Cevat Yerli said in a statement. “The 3D experience represents a quantum leap in interactive entertainment. With all of the same story and action seen in the 2D version of the game, the 3D version adds another dimension of intensity and immersion to the action.”

Crytek showed a special 3D cinematic scene of the game to press during the briefing, which followed a solid seven or eight minutes of combat footage set in the middle of a broken Grand Central Station. There was a big robot, the usual nanosuit silliness, explosions, and even a Hummer escape.  

Crysis 2 hits the Xbox 360, PS3, and PC in 2010.
#2 Edited by FrankCanada97 (4039 posts) -

Not interested in 3D. Maybe when when monitors and tv's are stanardized with 3D I'll get into it. Now it seems like a gimmick.

#3 Posted by Marz (5641 posts) -

The game already looks good without the 3D.

#4 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

I dunno, this game in 3D would be insane. I just don't want to shell out $200 for a goddamn pair of glasses.

#5 Posted by LeonsHell (55 posts) -

Hang on, how expensive is the 3D technology going to need to be to get it to work at full capacity with a Crysis game? I just hope they don't lie to me like they did in the opening cut scene of the original Crysis, bullet deflection my foot.

#6 Edited by DiGiTaL_SiN (1789 posts) -

BTW; that appears on all the recent news posts for me.
#7 Posted by chililili (1328 posts) -

Why do developers think we want this?

#8 Posted by JoelTGM (5596 posts) -

Will Crysis 2 for PC look better than Crysis 1?  Or will it be the same as the console versions, only higher res?

#9 Posted by FunExplosions (5407 posts) -
@DiGiTaL_SiN said:
"

BTW; that appears on all the recent news posts for me.
"
Haahhaha. Just what I was thinking.
#10 Posted by maxim2boobles (52 posts) -

i probably need a 3d graphics card and some googles

#11 Posted by hedfone (1749 posts) -

3d!

#12 Posted by M_33 (527 posts) -

Alright! Cool! 3D! Sweet! I don't care.
#13 Posted by Th3_James (2576 posts) -

Hmm, I am about to build a new pc in the next 2 weeks. I am gonna get a 5850, hope that will be enough to run it proper in 2D. Otherwise I will have to get another 5850

#14 Posted by greennoodles (404 posts) -

So 360 3d confirmed?

#15 Posted by Jellybones (92 posts) -

So will the console versions be even lower resolution now? Or will they further reduce the visual quality?

Would be nice if there were only quality reductions if you chose to run in 3D mode.

#16 Posted by ChrisTaran (1555 posts) -

Should be interesting to see if this 3D stuff ever catches on in the near future.

#17 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

Yay Crysis!

#18 Posted by BOOM (69 posts) -

Looks great!

#19 Posted by Gnubberen (754 posts) -

Aw my videocard

#20 Posted by MB (11891 posts) -

"Crysis 2 to support 3D and low framerates"

#21 Posted by Ramyun (664 posts) -

Yeah......great....more 3Dness.
To be honest I'm just waiting for this 3Dmania to all go away so developers can go back spending time on the more important things....like making games good.

#22 Posted by Jayzilla (2554 posts) -

anyone here remember how lame the frame rates were for the first one even if you had a top of the line rig when crysis came out? i do. i built a rig specifically for that game. I won't be making the same mistake again. 

#23 Posted by dantebk (218 posts) -

I really don't think I can get behind all this 3D nonsense.  Too much money, too much hassle.

#24 Posted by MrKlorox (11198 posts) -

Hooray! Fuck haters!

#25 Posted by CallMeRotten (229 posts) -

I haven't been able to get on the Crytek bandwagon, I tried again watching their presentation and was still not impressed.

#26 Posted by BaconGames (3280 posts) -

How is no one else pissed that another disaster takes place in New York?

#27 Posted by Sargus (720 posts) -

Crysis 2 actually seems like a fairly natural fit for going 3D. I'm intrigued, at least.

#28 Posted by jkz (3999 posts) -

Getting really tired of this 3D fad. However, seeing the game on consoles has only reinforced that the PC version seems better (assuming that some of the footage that's been shown earlier has been PC, because there's been some serious fidelity differences between demo's).

#29 Posted by paudle (95 posts) -

go lincoln force powered crysis 2

#30 Posted by McPaper (254 posts) -

3D as in 3D glasses 3D?

The boundary of technology?

Pfff, the game looks nice however.

#31 Posted by Binny (95 posts) -

They are really trying to pump this 3D thing

#32 Posted by NTM (7234 posts) -

I hope 3D dies down, or at least make it so we never have to wear those stupid glasses.
#33 Posted by I_smell (3925 posts) -

How the hell are they gonna render something this fuckin bananas TWICE??

#34 Posted by Anathem (126 posts) -

So we should only expect 15fps this time? I can't decide if I want 3D to be awesome or disappear forever.

#35 Posted by CrazedJoker (321 posts) -

Nay.

#36 Posted by Kraznor (1578 posts) -

Sigh, more 3D nonsense.

#37 Posted by WholeFunShow (343 posts) -

So... when it runs slower on consoles wont that only exacerbate the consensus against 3D?

#38 Posted by SL33TBL1ND (503 posts) -
@FrankCanada97 said:
" Not interested in 3D. Maybe when when monitors and tv's are stanardized with 3D I'll get into it. Now it seems like a gimmick. "
He speaks the truth!
#39 Posted by ThatOneGuyZack (5 posts) -

Developers, please stop making games in 3D. That is all.

#40 Edited by phil44 (33 posts) -

They better not be skimping on some visuals to compensate for the increased load by rendering two stereoscopic images, maybe it'll just scale down the visuals for 3d mode.

Thought Crytek would be able to see past the gimmick that is 3D, especially since they claim to "push the boundaries", which they have done in the past, but 3d atm really is just a gimmick. Until glasses-free 3d is achieved, it will never penetrate the mass market.

#41 Posted by Branthog (7340 posts) -

Prepare to have the price of games increased. Developing and testing and debugging and supporting the 3D element of games isn't free and will add significantly to the cost of creating games. We'll all get the obligation of subsidizing the 3D experience for the handful of douchebags that get juiced up all over that kind of shit.

#42 Posted by RocketCoug (2 posts) -

Sweet another Crysis game that I will not be able to play to full potential.

#43 Posted by StormLord (14 posts) -

cool

#44 Posted by MonetaryDread (1987 posts) -
@chililili: 
It's because of people like me, people that actually want this. I have a 3D capable PC, and I can run the hell out of Crysis in 3D and my PC is worth less than a grand (I built it myself so the PC was half the price of buying a comparable alienware).
#45 Posted by PosseOfOne (79 posts) -

I personally doesn't really care whether games are in 3D or not as long as the gameplay is engaging

#46 Posted by mugugipan (376 posts) -
thats cool because I am thinking of a getting a new hdtv, wonder if there is a cheap 22 some odd inch
@BradNicholson said:
" The follow-up to the game with the most ridiculous PC system requirements in recent memory will support technology that almost no-one has or wants to make room to afford. As announced during the EA's E3 2010 press conference, all three versions of Crysis 2 will support stereoscopic 3D. 

“At Crytek, we always strive to raise the technology bar.  As the 3D revolution sweeps movies and television, we are excited to bring Crysis 2 to 3D, making it the first big action game to be available in true stereoscopic 3D,” Crytek CEO Cevat Yerli said in a statement. “The 3D experience represents a quantum leap in interactive entertainment. With all of the same story and action seen in the 2D version of the game, the 3D version adds another dimension of intensity and immersion to the action.”

Crysis 2 hits the Xbox 360, PS3, and PC in 2010. "

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.