Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Crysis 2

Game » consists of 37 releases. Released Mar 22, 2011

Set three years after the original Crysis, an ambushed Marine named Alcatraz dons the famous Nanosuit and fights his way through an obliterated New York City to stop the alien invasion.

Crysis 2's Shocking Tech Compromise: Proof

• 82 results
    august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By august

From Rock Paper Shotgun the world's most British source of quality pc thoughtwords:    
    Crysis 2′s Shocking Tech Compromise: Proof

Having played Crysis 2, the latest from the former technical innovators at Crytek, I have to express that I’m not only horrified, but also shocked, at the paucity of graphical accomplishments in what should have been a groundbreaking game. It’s quite clear that massive compromises have been made in order to keep the console market happy, meaning the PC version of the game is crippled to the point where it’s literally impossible to look at without feeling physically sick. I have put together some detailed analysis of the differences between CryEngine 2 and CryEngine 3, to prove that the developers have let everyone down.

First of all, let’s take a look at the technical range.

Crysis, built in the CryEngine 2, was capable of a 32.2m pixel spread across a 12 joule range, displayed in a dynamically generated four-part volumetric resource buffer. This meant a broad spectrum resonance in the upper 40s, with significant occlusion.

However, when we perform our benchmark tests on the CryEngine 3, it registers only 32.1m pixels in the 12J, reducing the BSR to a measly 43, with almost negligible ambience.

But it gets worse once you include the Verticle [sic] Sync Module. CryEngine 2 was praised by for its revolutionary VSM, significantly upscaling especially on NVidia chipsets. When we take a look at the CE3 VSM figures they reveal a significant drop in upscaling, and a worrying trend demonstrating an increase in downscaling.

So how does this translate in real terms? Well, let’s take a look at a simple in-game object, a basic crate model. In order to remain impartial we’ve selected boxes appearing in darker areas. Here’s Crysis:

And here’s Crysis 2:

At first glance the textures in Crysis 2 may look improved, with the appearance of more detail, and a slightly more realistic look. Certainly if you were only to run past them that may be the impression you’re left with. But let’s take a closer look at what’s really going on here.

Here’s the Crysis texture:

And here’s the reality of the Crysis 2 texture:

As you can see there’s absolutely no comparison, the Crysis 2 “cardboard box” barely featuring a fifth of the parametric mesh generation of its predecessor, unquestionably as a result of the PS3′s weaker OpenMP.

That’s at a micro scale, but the same deficiencies appear on a macro scale. For instance, let’s take a look at a scene from near the beginning of Crysis:

And now a scene a similar distance into Crysis 2:

Immediately you’ll notice not only a downturn in colour (almost 32.3% by our benchmark), but also a significant reduction in flora. It’s quite clear that the development of CryEngine 3 for the consoles has led to a devastating effect on the in-game environments, lowered ambient conditions for both AI and NPCs (inevitably as a result of the 360′s eDRAM chip), and a raise in carbon production by over 300%. With Crysis having supported DX12, and Crysis 2 not even shipping with DX11 support, it’s nothing short of a disgrace.

At the time of writing Crytek have refused to respond to any of the points made above, and it’s pretty obvious why.

mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By mnzy

That's funny, I hope some site picks this up as some kind of proof or some weird internet hate starts until they realise what they actually read :D

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
    rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By rollingzeppelin

This is a joke right? 

triple07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By triple07
    @billnyethesciencepie said:
    " uh..............what? "
    It's a joke. None of the stuff they are talking about is real. Well they use real words but put them together in ways that don't exist. Not sure if the OP got that or not. When I saw this the other day i thought it was pretty funny.
    Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Azteck

This just seems like bitching about a non-issue. The graphics in Crysis 2 make you physically sick? I think that says more about you than the actual game.  

EDIT: Oh oops, didn't see that it was from an article. Sorry, OP.  

EDIT 2: Oh, it was a joke. Nevermind then!

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#7  Edited By ArbitraryWater
    @august said:
    "

, meaning the PC version of the game is crippled to the point where it’s literally impossible to look at without feeling physically sick.

"
    Alright, this is about as far as I got. PC graphics elitism quite frankly bores me to tears as someone who's computer is almost 9 years old at this point.
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Jimbo

Hurr.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By august

If you don't support more joules per m-pixel you are bringing this once great industry down

kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By kishan6

Ya i read this like yesterday......... Crysis 2 looks better in practice which honestly is all that matters 
    Communism should be one of, if not the, best form of government.  However Im pretty sure its clear that in practice it isnt. 
    Even though Crysis 1 Should look better, it seems clear atleast to me that it doesnt.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

This is a joke, but the fact that people are actually taking it seriously makes it more sad than funny.

OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By OldGuy

Humour so dry it blows away with the slightest breath. My favourite kind. :-)

mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mnzy

Oh boy, this is working better than expected.
    Got to go, my 360 is running out of Joules.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By august
    @ArbitraryWater said:
    " @august said:
    "

, meaning the PC version of the game is crippled to the point where it’s literally impossible to look at without feeling physically sick.

"
    Alright, this is about as far as I got. PC graphics elitism quite frankly bores me to tears as someone who's computer is almost 9 years old at this point. "
    Some of us refuse to get by on one FIFTH of the paramatic mesh generation.
    Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Azteck
    @billnyethesciencepie: Yeah, I honestly thought it was real. Now I feel stupid. ):
    Reizarvg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By Reizarvg

Are people actually taking this seriously? 'Parametric mesh generation'. You don't honestly think that's a real thing, do you?

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
    deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Successful troll is successful.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By PrivateIronTFU
    @zudthespud said:
    " Successful troll is successful. "
    It's not really trolling.
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Scooper

Oh my god. The comments in this thread are so stupid. If you took the thread at face-value and really took it seriously then you need to go outside.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Scooper said:

" Oh my god. The comments in this thread are so stupid. If you took the thread at face-value and really took it seriously then you need to go outside. "

Wouldn't that be counter-productive?  As you need to be a nerd to understand that this isn't something serious.  (Not an insult, I'm nerdy as shit) 
    august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By august
    @kishan6 said:
    " Ya i read this like yesterday......... Crysis 2 looks better in practice which honestly is all that matters 
    Communism should be one of, if not the, best form of government.  However Im pretty sure its clear that in practice it isnt. 
    Even though Crysis 1 Should look better, it seems clear atleast to me that it doesnt. "
    Crysis 1 supported Direct X 12 and that is a scientific fact.
    OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By OmegaPirate

This is amazing

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Scooper
    @xobballox said:
    "
    @Scooper said:

" Oh my god. The comments in this thread are so stupid. If you took the thread at face-value and really took it seriously then you need to go outside. "

Wouldn't that be counter-productive?  As you need to be a nerd to understand that this isn't something serious.  (Not an insult, I'm nerdy as shit)  "
    Implying that nerds don't go outside? What
    TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By TheHBK

All I got out of this was that the boxes in Crysis 2 do look better than Crysis.  If they could do that with crappier textures, my hat's off to them.

Deeveeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Deeveeus

I was about to rage at PC elitism a bit, then I read it a second time...and it is definitely a joke on behalf of the poster...but the original writer...could such a douche exist on the internet......naaaaawwwwwwww

StingerMK2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By StingerMK2

as soon as i saw it was a rock, paper, shotgun article i knew it would be a joke before even reading it, i hope for some crazy reason mainstream media pick up on this, not that 99% of people that read mainstream media would give a shit, but i like the idea still

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By august
    @TheHBK said:

" All I got out of this was that the boxes in Crysis 2 do look better than Crysis.  If they could do that with crappier textures, my hat's off to them. "

I think what you don't realize is that at higher resolutions, with full scene anti-aliasing only available on pc, the textures produce 300% more carbon than in Crysis 1. 

Basically: Crysis 2 is the E.T. 2600 of the new century.
    Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Scooper said:
    " @xobballox said:
    "
    @Scooper said:

Wouldn't that be counter-productive?  As you need to be a nerd to understand that this isn't something serious.  (Not an insult, I'm nerdy as shit)  "
    Implying that nerds don't go outside? What "
    Ok, let me phrase it this way.  In what way will going outside make you realize any of this "technical lingo" is not totally serious?  It's not like the talk at the bar is about Crysis' amazing graphics.
    alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#30  Edited By alternate
    @PrivateIronTFU said:
    " This is a joke, but the fact that people are actually taking it seriously makes it more sad than funny. "
    Nothing new.  I once heard someone quote an article in The Onion to backup some serious point they were making ;-)
    Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Reizarvg said:

" Are people actually taking this seriously? 'Parametric mesh generation'. You don't honestly think that's a real thing, do you? "

I only glanced the article, but even then I got the joke. 

Even then, though, a google search turns up some surprises.
    Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Azteck
    @august said:
    " @kishan6 said:
    " Ya i read this like yesterday......... Crysis 2 looks better in practice which honestly is all that matters 
    Even though Crysis 1 Should look better, it seems clear atleast to me that it doesnt. "
    Crysis 1 supported Direct X 12 and that is a scientific fact. "
    Crytek folk are time travelers..
    Avatar image for buzz_killington
    buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#33  Edited By buzz_killington

If seen with normal human eyes (as most gamers like to game), the texture appears more realistic and detailed, but it looks crappy zoomed in a million x with computer magickery, that means they fucked up the game, right??

PS. This is not that far off some stuff seen on some forums, with people fucking counting pixel lines and shit.

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#34  Edited By Cameron

Anyone saying that it is obvious that this is a joke is crazy. People who play PC games might know that 'parametric mesh generation' isn't actually a thing, but it doesn't sound any crazier than tessellation, or anti-aliasing, or anisotropic filtering. I can guarantee that most people have no idea what any of those things are.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#35  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

Hahaha thats great.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By august
    @buzz_killington said:
    " If seen with normal human eyes (as most gamers like to game), the texture appears more realistic and detailed, but it looks crappy zoomed in a million x with computer magickery, that means they fucked up the game, right?? "
    Look man, just because your eyesight is apparently low-rez doesn't mean those textures are of the same quality (or moral fortitude.) All that console game playing must have your occipital lobe frazzled.
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Scooper
    @xobballox said:
    " @Scooper said:
    " @xobballox said:
    "
    @Scooper said:

Implying that nerds don't go outside? What "
    Ok, let me phrase it this way.  In what way will going outside make you realize any of this "technical lingo" is not totally serious?  It's not like the talk at the bar is about Crysis' amazing graphics. "
    I don't know what 95% of that technical lingo was at all. I'm saying that if you can't tell obvious sarcasm and irony then you are getting too involved in the absolutely pointless debates that actualy go on on Youtube and the like where real convosations like this happen lol. Nothing more. I don't know why you're trying to pick apart my comment. 
    I'm saying that if you take this sort of thing seriously then I'm guessing you also take actual useless fanboy debate seriously and that shit is soo stupid, that you should probably go out and throw sticks for your dog or whatever and stop worrying about pointless shit like this satirical example given in this thread. D'ya geddit :D?
    PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By PrivateIronTFU
    @alternate said:
    " @PrivateIronTFU said:
    " This is a joke, but the fact that people are actually taking it seriously makes it more sad than funny. "
    Nothing new.  I once heard someone quote an article in The Onion to backup some serious point they were making ;-) "
    Oh dear God. The Onion is obvious satire. That makes me want to cry a little bit.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#39  Edited By Geno
    @Scooper: I don't think there were that many people in the thread confused in the first place. In fact I count maybe two or three out of everyone so far :S ?
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ryanwho

And dont get this joke and it makes me angry!

Portis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Portis
    @OldGuy said:
    " Humour so dry it blows away with the slightest breath. My favourite kind. :-) "
    Seriously. I think I need a drink of water after that.
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#42  Edited By Animasta

Rock Paper Shotgun owns, if you are a PC gamer and don't read them STOP NOT READING THEM.

Even if Quinns is an asshole and replaced Kieron :(

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By MrKlorox

Nice. It had me going for a second there. The graphs are hilarious.

luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By luce

Tell me something I don't know OP. Fucking consolization dumbing down games for idiot console fanboys 

I mean look at that 34 degree occlusion

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#45  Edited By Skald

That's just too much carbon!

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By SeriouslyNow

Rock Paper Shotgun's Shocking Journalism Compromise : Proof.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By august
    @extremeradical said:
    " That's just too much carbon! "
    With that amount of carbon proper spline reticulation is practically impossible.
    alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By alternate
    @PrivateIronTFU said:

" @alternate said:

" @PrivateIronTFU said:
    Nothing new.  I once heard someone quote an article in The Onion to backup some serious point they were making ;-) "
    Oh dear God. The Onion is obvious satire. That makes me want to cry a little bit. "
    Sure, it is obvious in context but lazy researchers just google stuff with key words looking to support their argument and so one of the Onion articles that are played fairly straight taken in isolation could well fool someone.  A dumb someone anyway.

I mean looks at this - on a major network - for an example of what happens when you do all your research on the internet ;-)

http://www.japansubculture.com/2011/03/fox-news-exposes-tokyo-music-hall-eggman-is-really-a-secret-nuclear-reactor/
    delusionaltool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By delusionaltool

haha, nice...on another note the devs said a patch is underway for dx11 support and higher resolution textures.... ya anyway...

kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By kishan6
    @august said:
    " @kishan6 said:
    Crysis 1 supported Direct X 12 and that is a scientific fact. "
    This is true.  It is also true that STALKER: COP supports direct x 11 and mass effect 2 on PC does only supports direct x 9..... It still looks tons better

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.