Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Crysis 2

Game » consists of 37 releases. Released Mar 22, 2011

Set three years after the original Crysis, an ambushed Marine named Alcatraz dons the famous Nanosuit and fights his way through an obliterated New York City to stop the alien invasion.

Have they done away with the locked in settings?

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

While it was actually kind of good to have that in a demo where things should be streamlined and accessible, I was still really disappointed in the options for graphics in Crysis 2. Before I consider playing it, I'd like to know if they put in proper settings to customize it all, or if you'll have to edit a config or some other bullshit. I already got screwed by Bulletstorm being glitchy as all hell, and I don't want to deal with dumbed down settings.

HoM3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By HoM3R

They changed it to "high," "very high," and "extreme" and the configuration file is open so you can edit it there. 
    But I have nothing good to say about this and will let my silence and the small tear on my face speak.

Pixeldemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Pixeldemon

Hmm well, PC users shouldn't mind editing an INI file as long as it doesn't break the game.  Still disappointing that they would give dumbed down options for what was once considered the benchmark graphics title on PC.

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By gike987

Seriously, you have to open a configuration file to change graphics beyond pre-sets? Even bad console ports like Dead Space 2 lets you change more advanced graphics in game. And they are trying to convince us that they didn't abandon PC gamers.

Rockanomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Rockanomics
    @gike987: What was bad about the Dead Space 2 port? They seemed to get rid of the vsync issue in the first one.
    NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By NTM

Yeah, from what I know, they didn't really change it from the demo. So no, it's not like the first Crysis where it's easier to customize right from in the game.
    Rattle618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Rattle618
    @Pixeldemon said:
    PC users shouldn't mind editing an INI file as long as it doesn't break the game."
    I mean... why would you invest hundreds and hundreds of dollars on a machine that can run Crysis 2 if you are not interested on messing with the files, for me half the fun is seeing what's under the hood and finding out what I can make of it.
    gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By gike987
    @Rockanomics said:
    " @gike987: What was bad about the Dead Space 2 port? They seemed to get rid of the vsync issue in the first one. "
    It's locked at 30 FPS with the in game vsync option, so you have to force vsync to be able to run the game at 60 FPS with vsync on. Maybe it's unfair to call it bad, it's not as bad as Saints Row 2 for example, but it's still pretty bad. Still doesn't change the fact that only having pre-sets in a game like crysis 2 is bad, even the just mentioned terrible port of Saints Row 2 lets you change graphic options in game.

It's not that I think it's hard to change an INI file. I actually like when a game lets you tweak very advanced or potentially unstable graphic settings through a config file, but you should still be able to change basic graphic settings in game.
    korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By korwin

From what I've read the options are just as non-existent as the demo.  They also have forced mouse smoothing and acceleration with no way to turn it off (most obvious sign of a shoddy port job).  So far I'm incredibly disappointed from what I've read... and they game doesn't unlock here for another 2 days.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Spoonman671

According to IGN (about halfway down the page), you can edit your graphical settings with console commands.

Torrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By Torrim

I know many mourn the loss of customizable commands, but I notice now that I spend less time fucking around with settings when they just give a few pre-set that make a difference between smooth and pretty.  If I know there is something that bothers my system particularly, at least there's the knowledge of editing an .ini file.  I reckon that if you know what you need to turn off, you know how to edit an .ini file.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12  Edited By MordeaniisChaos
    @Torrim said:
    " I know many mourn the loss of customizable commands, but I notice now that I spend less time fucking around with settings when they just give a few pre-set that make a difference between smooth and pretty.  If I know there is something that bothers my system particularly, at least there's the knowledge of editing an .ini file.  I reckon that if you know what you need to turn off, you know how to edit an .ini file. "
    Because this is the first time presets existed in a fucking game. The only games I know that don't have presets are Source games, and pretty much everyone can max those out and they are good at knowing what the game should be at.
    @Pixeldemon said:

" Hmm well, PC users shouldn't mind editing an INI file as long as it doesn't break the game.  Still disappointing that they would give dumbed down options for what was once considered the benchmark graphics title on PC. "

That's bullshit. It's one thing to use ini editing to change settings to levels or features that aren't optimized, but basic settings like Texture quality, AA, etc, should be seperately controlled through a menu. Not all PC gamers are like you or I. There is no real argument against this. Even the worst console to PC port in the world has proper settings (GTA IV) The last time I saw a game with such limited options, my brother was complaining about the 4th Harry Potter game running at 480 because for whatever reason, there simply wasn't a single option connected to the visual quality in the game. I don't know if it was supposed to auto-configure, but it didn't even do that, at least not right. The reason those options are so important is A) people want different things to look better or worse, B) different cards handle different things better and worse, and C) so they know exactly what is going on with the visuals. This is a functionality that needs to be patched in. I'm more disgusted by Crytek calling themselves a PC developer after pulling that than I am of Bioware calling themselves an RPG developer after Mass Effect 2.
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By ajamafalous
    @MordeaniisChaos said:
    " I'm more disgusted by Crytek calling themselves a PC developer after pulling that than I am of Bioware calling themselves an RPG developer after Mass Effect 2. "
    Lol'd.

@Korwin said:
    " They also have forced mouse smoothing and acceleration with no way to turn it off. "
    Wait, fucking really?

Guess I'm not buying this game, then.
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By RsistncE
    @ajamafalous said:
    " @MordeaniisChaos said:
    " I'm more disgusted by Crytek calling themselves a PC developer after pulling that than I am of Bioware calling themselves an RPG developer after Mass Effect 2. "
    Lol'd.

@Korwin said:
    " They also have forced mouse smoothing and acceleration with no way to turn it off. "
    Wait, fucking really?   Guess I'm not buying this game, then. "
    WTF are you serious? So the mouse problems from the pre-patched PC version of Bioshock are in this? If so fuck that, I'm not buying this shit, not before actually trying it at least.
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By ajamafalous
    @RsistncE said:
    " @ajamafalous said:
    " @MordeaniisChaos said:
    Lol'd.

@Korwin said:
    WTF are you serious? So the mouse problems from the pre-patched PC version of Bioshock are in this? If so fuck that, I'm not buying this shit, not before actually trying it at least. "
    From what I read, Bulletstorm had mouse acceleration, and encrypted .ini files so you couldn't edit them and turn it off. I'd like someone that owns the PC version to confirm this before we start reporting it as fact, but... God damn. And developers wonder why people won't buy their shit anymore. (Also, just totally realized that both Bulletstorm and Crysis 2 were $60. Lol.)
    korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By korwin
    @ajamafalous said:
    " @RsistncE said:
    " @ajamafalous said:
    " @MordeaniisChaos said:
    Lol'd.

@Korwin said:
    WTF are you serious? So the mouse problems from the pre-patched PC version of Bioshock are in this? If so fuck that, I'm not buying this shit, not before actually trying it at least. "
    From what I read, Bulletstorm had mouse acceleration, and encrypted .ini files so you couldn't edit them and turn it off. I'd like someone that owns the PC version to confirm this before we start reporting it as fact, but... God damn. And developers wonder why people won't buy their shit anymore. (Also, just totally realized that both Bulletstorm and Crysis 2 were $60. Lol.) "
    Yep Bulletstorm had the same thing.  As it stands there is also a way to disable it in Crysis 2 through the game.cfg but not in the game itself.
    Pixeldemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Pixeldemon
    @MordeaniisChaos:  

Well, I agree you shouldn't HAVE to edit cfg files.  I guess I've just become accustomed to the mediocrity of most PC releases these days.  Hopefully the PC version will get some serious love in future patches.
    SquadBroken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SquadBroken

I just saw a thread on Gamespot that posted an Advanced Graphics Options program that lets you change lots of things.

Avatar image for joyfullofrockets
    JoyfullOFrockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By JoyfullOFrockets

Oh graphics, how popular art thou.

But yeah... this doesn't seem like a problem to me. I just tick it on high and my default resolution, runs great and looks great.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By CL60

This topic makes me understand why console gamers dislike a lot of us PC gamers.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Jack268
    @JoyfullOFrockets said:

" Oh graphics, how popular art thou.  But yeah... this doesn't seem like a problem to me. I just tick it on high and my default resolution, runs great and looks great. "

Yeah, the only really bad thing for me about the preset is that the bloom is off the chain. I guess if someone has a worse PC he'd want to be able to tweak motion blur and such to make it run smoother, but even on very high it runs better than Crysis 1 medium. It's still DX9 though, we'll see what DX11 with even higher res textures will do.
    Avatar image for joyfullofrockets
    JoyfullOFrockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By JoyfullOFrockets
    @Jack268 said:

" @JoyfullOFrockets said:

" Oh graphics, how popular art thou.  But yeah... this doesn't seem like a problem to me. I just tick it on high and my default resolution, runs great and looks great. "

Yeah, the only really bad thing for me about the preset is that the bloom is off the chain. I guess if someone has a worse PC he'd want to be able to tweak motion blur and such to make it run smoother, but even on very high it runs better than Crysis 1 medium. It's still DX9 though, we'll see what DX11 with even higher res textures will do. "
    I'm hoping they actually add DX11. Even if Dragon Age 2 wasn't released with it's higher-res textures, they added the support little to no time after release.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.