I dont understand how the AI operates in Crysis 2..

#1 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -
I'm gonna be referring to the AI as "them" because it feels better that way 
 
Ive beaten the first Crysis maybe 5-6 times, and i totally understood how the AI operated (not that they were predictable, on the contrary, part of my understanding was knowing that you never know how they react) and i approached them in each and every way possible and it always worked out fine and played super good
Now i caved and got Crysis 2, and im playing the single player (no interest in the MP) and i must say that while it does feel cod-ilized and streamlined and much more linear, it still feels like a Crysis game which im fucking loving. i can totally approach fights in several ways, and shift between stealth and assault constantly, ambush the AI and take various routes to reach or accomplish something. However.. 
 
i dont understand how the AI operates in this game. its like the game is built to be played using Cloak the entire time (stealthing your way through an area and moving forward), however if you choose to go assault (even for two seconds), the entire battle gets chaotic and out of hand ! 
  
  • the AI turn into motion sensors, spotting me wherever i am if i uncloak myself, thus constantly shooting me when im visible, from everywhere .. im not the kinda pussy who beats the game in cloak! what do you want from me, game ??
  • magical enemy soldiers who didnt appear on the Visor just.. appear out of nowhere and multiply the initial number of the enemy soldiers. where do they come from and how do they get here so quick ? 
  • when i finish the initial soldiers + the ones that followed, more of them appear and multiply again, like the game is telling me "you dont wanna go stealth? take this motherfucker" .. it turns from a 'clear this area and advance' to 'exterminate hordes of swarming enemies' 
  • the AI get an incredible tendency to always approach me/move my way when they're scanning the area around their downed teammate. if i go across the yard and hide in a corner, cloaked, they somehow manage to stand on my dick in a matter of seconds
  
 

I'm not saying the AI are hard to defeat, and i must admit im really enjoying myself and the game looks incredible. its just that this AI behavior is odd and im pretty sure the game just doesnt want me to try the Assault approach.. the fuck ? 
 
Thoughts ?
#2 Posted by Bollard (5666 posts) -
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
"
  • the AI turn into motion sensors, spotting me wherever i am if i uncloak myself, thus constantly shooting me when im visible, from everywhere .. im not the kinda pussy who beats the game in cloak! what do you want from me, game ??
  • magical enemy soldiers who didnt appear on the Visor just.. appear out of nowhere and multiply the initial number of the enemy soldiers. where do they come from and how do they get here so quick ? 
  • when i finish the initial soldiers + the ones that followed, more of them appear and multiply again, like the game is telling me "you dont wanna go stealth? take this motherfucker" .. it turns from a 'clear this area and advance' to 'exterminate hordes of swarming enemies'  "
Sounds like Call of Duty and its infinitely respawning enemies which will put a bullet on your head the moment you appear, even if they were looking the other way. At least on Veteran anyway. Yet to play Crysis 2 SP but not sure that sounds entirely fun. Still enjoying Crysis anyway.
#3 Posted by Adamsons (877 posts) -

Look on the bright side - at least there aren't any of those assholes on the boat mounted guns.

#4 Posted by AlisterCat (5635 posts) -
@Chavtheworld: It's nothing like the ridiculousness of Call of Duty's respawning enemies. I haven't finished it yet, but I've never run in to that situation. There are many instances where the units sitting around will be re-enforced because if they detect you they will often set off a flair to call for backup, and some will appear with a vehicle or just come out of buildings.
#5 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

Yeah, if you get within ten feet of them while cloaked, they seem to be stuck on you like glue. Why, I have no idea.  
 
On Veteran, I played through without using cloak so much. Supersoldier pretty much requires cloak in certain areas. But in either case, the A.I. is behaves erratically at best.

#6 Posted by JoyfullOFrockets (1177 posts) -

I agree, the AI is a big problem sometimes. In close quarters, they can barely do shit but run around, but at range, they are expert marskmen.

#7 Posted by Bollard (5666 posts) -
@AlisterCat: Ah fair enough, it did sound a bit like that though from the description in the OP.
#8 Posted by Donos (1195 posts) -

I haven't played Crysis 2 yet, but I'm playing through Crysis 1 again and all those issues are present. I don't know how the Crysis 2 visor works, but in Crysis 1 enemies don't just automatically appear on it and aren't supposed to.
#9 Posted by FirePrince (1763 posts) -

They can shoot flares to call their friends.No, really.Like in Far Cry 2.Only here, they have thousands of soldiers.
#10 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -
@Donos said:
" I haven't played Crysis 2 yet, but I'm playing through Crysis 1 again and all those issues are present. I don't know how the Crysis 2 visor works, but in Crysis 1 enemies don't just automatically appear on it and aren't supposed to. "
Yeah, the AI is no better or worse than in the original Crysis. And there is only one instance i can think of when enemies keep respawning. And I'm stuck on that part of the game for that very reason.
#11 Posted by cannedstingray (401 posts) -

I played through on the default diff, and the ai was not good, erratic, and the aliens were the worst at magnetizing to you when cloaked and randomly attacking when near you..  I found that in alot of cases it was best to sneak through parts of a level instead of eliminating all enemies..   
 
I did try to kill all aliens for most of the game to score upgrade cash, but towards the end, it was best to to make progress instead of repeatedly getting killed... 
 
With the stealth upgrades it is pretty easy to sneak through tough parts or find another way, don't worry about killing all bad guys..
#12 Posted by Branthog (5583 posts) -

When going over that bridge in the early stages of the game, I noticed that some of them are hidden in an alley of sorts with two buildings on either side and a twenty foot tall metal barricade inbetween them. And yet, somehow, they are able to SEE me through it and SHOOT me through it. You wouldn't even know where the hell the shots were coming from, except I have tracers turned on and it shows it coming through the barricades.

#13 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

The game is easier by not going in stealth. The AI can see you through walls. It's nuts.

#14 Posted by DaSmart1 (69 posts) -
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
  • the AI turn into motion sensors, spotting me wherever i am if i uncloak myself, thus constantly shooting me when im visible, from everywhere .. im not the kinda pussy who beats the game in cloak! what do you want from me, game ??
  • magical enemy soldiers who didnt appear on the Visor just.. appear out of nowhere and multiply the initial number of the enemy soldiers. where do they come from and how do they get here so quick ? 
  • when i finish the initial soldiers + the ones that followed, more of them appear and multiply again, like the game is telling me "you dont wanna go stealth? take this motherfucker" .. it turns from a 'clear this area and advance' to 'exterminate hordes of swarming enemies' 
  • the AI get an incredible tendency to always approach me/move my way when they're scanning the area around their downed teammate. if i go across the yard and hide in a corner, cloaked, they somehow manage to stand on my dick in a matter of seconds
 
  • This usually just happens because, well, there was someone behind you unaccounted for. I never have this problem as I always check around in a circle before I uncloak. Sometimes you will still have an enemy you simply did not see before, though.
  • This happens because they were either too far away, were reinforcements to the guys you tagged thus you haven't tagged them yet, or you simply overlooked them.
  • They call for reinforcements if you make enough noise and don't take them out quick enough. If you don't want reinforcements you've got to take them out quickly and efficiently before they can shoot off a flare.
  • That's because even though you're cloaked, you are still somewhat visible if the enemy is close enough (which you can notice in multiplayer as well). If you're roughly within ten feet then they will see you and start to walk towards you to investigate. If they get close enough they will fully see you and open fire.
So in short there's nothing wrong with the AI; well, there is, but the things you mentioned aren't bugs, they are the result of overlooking enemies, not being fast enough, or being too close while cloaked.
#15 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -
@DaSmart1:  hmm... good points. guess i have to drink my SkillBooster energy drink before i play :(
#16 Posted by ErEl (142 posts) -
@FirePrince said:
" They can shoot flares to call their friends.No, really.Like in Far Cry 2.Only here, they have thousands of soldiers. "
Copied Crysis 1.
#17 Posted by DaSmart1 (69 posts) -

Yeah in this game they can call reinforcements multiple times and there are more additional soldiers each time.

#18 Edited by TheKeyboardDemon (824 posts) -
@Ahmad_Metallic: To tell the truth I wanted to play it in the stealth style, but thought that seeing as I don't have much in the way of upgrades I might try rushing in with all guns blazing and found it didn't take long to get surrounded. The moment I fired off a shot in an open space I was surrounded. I read that the game has a good balance between stealth and but I have not played very far in to the game to be able to say that's accurate, my experiences have been closer to yours and until I get stealth upgrades I might struggle to hit the right balance. I am pretty much still at the start though, so I might add to this when I find the time.
#19 Posted by DaSmart1 (69 posts) -

Basically if you don't have any upgrades and you're still new to the game and haven't really mastered the mechanics you're just kind of going to have to accept that you either need to go all out stealth or be willing to leave a few enemies behind for the sake of time and survival.

#20 Posted by adz117 (136 posts) -
@Ahmad_Metallic said:

  
  • the AI turn into motion sensors, spotting me wherever i am if i uncloak myself, thus constantly shooting me when im visible, from everywhere .. im not the kinda pussy who beats the game in cloak! what do you want from me, game ??
This really annoyed me when playing through it, I remember de-cloaking behind some fencing with leaves going up it. Apparently all enemies in the vicinity who weren't anywhere near me, or looking in my direction, auto fired on me. 
#21 Posted by neotoxic (5 posts) -

I like the way it was put in a recent Crysis 2 review on OneMetal.com 
 

The ability of the enemies to spot you can seem a little unfair in places. Sometimes an entire camp of enemies would see you the moment you moved from behind cover, or de-cloaked in a manner that resembled group precognition. It’s as though when not in stealth mode, your nanosuit liked to flash bright colors and play Justin Beiber tunes at high volume, turning you into a portable teenie-bopper disco and a justifiable bullet magnet.    

http://www.onemetal.com/2011/03/31/crysis-2/
#22 Posted by project343 (2833 posts) -
@Ahmad_Metallic: Reinforcements do typically come if you're spotted. Makes sense--you're a supersoldier death machine, they'll order in backup. Also, the AI only attacks you if they see you. A common tactic for me is to completely use stealth. However, I de-cloak to regain suit energy in a safe area without ever breaking my cover. Use your visor and make sure that no AI has a line-of-sight to you. 
 
Also, they'll only follow your footstep sounds if they are anywhere near cautious. This is why you think that they're following you. If you make a large jump, or any immediate sounds, they'll come in your direction (if their caution level is high enough). 
#23 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -
@PrivateIronTFU said:
" @Donos said:
" I haven't played Crysis 2 yet, but I'm playing through Crysis 1 again and all those issues are present. I don't know how the Crysis 2 visor works, but in Crysis 1 enemies don't just automatically appear on it and aren't supposed to. "
Yeah, the AI is no better or worse than in the original Crysis. And there is only one instance i can think of when enemies keep respawning. And I'm stuck on that part of the game for that very reason. "
The AI in Crysis is far better than it is in Crysis 2.  In Crysis 1 (as in Far Cry before it), units will hunt and track and will call in for reinforcements (as mentioned previously via the use of flares) and they never spawn infinitely.  Enemy units in Crysis 2 will (and do in many cases) spawn almost infinitely in some missions and will seem to hunt and track but are all a lot more scripted than they used to be in Crysis.  Crysis 2 enemy units also sometimes completely lose their capability to navigate/pathfind and can be seen walking in place while at other times they will immediately see you and call out to their brethren even if you decloak well out of their line of sight.
#24 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -
@SeriouslyNow said:
" @PrivateIronTFU said:
" @Donos said:
" I haven't played Crysis 2 yet, but I'm playing through Crysis 1 again and all those issues are present. I don't know how the Crysis 2 visor works, but in Crysis 1 enemies don't just automatically appear on it and aren't supposed to. "
Yeah, the AI is no better or worse than in the original Crysis. And there is only one instance i can think of when enemies keep respawning. And I'm stuck on that part of the game for that very reason. "
The AI in Crysis is far better than it is in Crysis 2.  In Crysis 1 (as in Far Cry before it), units will hunt and track and will call in for reinforcements (as mentioned previously via the use of flares) and they never spawn infinitely.  Enemy units in Crysis 2 will (and do in many cases) spawn almost infinitely in some missions and will seem to hunt and track but are all a lot more scripted than they used to be in Crysis.  Crysis 2 enemy units also sometimes completely lose their capability to navigate/pathfind and can be seen walking in place while at other times they will immediately see you and call out to their brethren even if you decloak well out of their line of sight. "
Enemies don't spawn infinitely in Crysis 2, except for one part I can recall. Enemies can call for reinforcements as well. I've never had an enemy immediately see me as long I was out of their sight.  
 
I have, however, had enemies spot me from a mile away in Crysis 1. 
#25 Edited by JP_Russell (1172 posts) -

I really, really hate how enemies sometimes spawn out of nowhere within a relatively short distance in Crysis 2 upon certain triggers (it's not just reinforcements called in through flares).  It rather defeats the whole "scope the place out and figure out where everyone is, then proceed to dismantle the whole thing however you want" aspect that was strong in Crysis. 
 

@PrivateIronTFU

said:


 
I have, however, had enemies spot me from a mile away in Crysis 1.  "



The only enemies that can do that in Crysis are snipers, boat machine gunners, and attack choppers (with the exception of a particular group of enemies at one spot in Crysis Warhead), because Crytek was lazy with those particular AI routines.  Most other enemies are incapable of seeing you reliably at any kind of distance.    

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.