I really don't understand how Prophet works [Spoilers?]

#1 Edited by JoeyRavn (4946 posts) -

OK, yeah, sure. Crysis is not about storycrafting. Arguably, it's not about gameplay either*. But for what it's worth, I'd like to understand how this universe works. Specifically, Prophet.

In Crysis 2, Prophet rescues Alcatraz, puts him in his nanosuit and procedes to kill himself. By the end of the game, Prophet's mind has merged with Alcatraz's body and in Crysis 3, Prophet is completely in control. So much so, that he even sounds like Prophet (even though he should sound like Alcatraz, at least until the nanomachines of his suit were "unlocked" and could transform into anything he wants).

So, my question is: why did Prophet (the real Prophet) kill himself at the beginning of Crysis 2, if we end up at the exact same place as we left him by the end of Crysis 3? I could understand a poorly-handed retcon with Crysis 3 if Alcatraz hadn't been well received... but Crytek was planning this since the very end of Crysis 2. What's the logic behind all these jumping back and forth between bodies and minds?

*dem grafx

#2 Posted by OfficeGamer (1087 posts) -

Your resilience against the horse shit story crafting of Crytek amazes me. Not only did I drop both Crysis 2 and Crysis 3 half-way through after I've had my (relative) fun, but none of the Prophet shit made any sense.

I bow to you sir for keeping up with that shit, and hope you get convincing answers by fellow resilient motherfuckers.

#3 Posted by Intro (1205 posts) -

Not sure really, but have you seen those graphics, holy shit man.

#4 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

Power Corrupts?

#5 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

Because his mind would have died if he didn't kill himself or some shit I dunno.

Anyway I would say Crysis 1 had pretty good gameplay even if people were busy looking at tree textures, probably the most fun I've had in an FPS in the last 10 years or so.

#6 Posted by bitcloud (646 posts) -

Prophet was infected with the Alien virus, Alcatraz only had physical injuries which the suit could heal easily.

#7 Posted by jimmyfenix (3811 posts) -

comstock

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.