Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Crysis 3

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Feb 19, 2013

A mysteriously resurrected Prophet fights his way through the now literal jungles of the fallen New York City, continuing the fight against the malevolent Ceph alien invaders.

So the levels look HUGE

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By vitor

Like, not Crysis 1 huge but still pretty damned open ended.

Some guy uploaded a video of him playing through part of a level on max settings and it looks incredible (unsurprising really).

Anyone else as excited for this as I am? I really enjoyed Crysis 2 despite its issues and this looks like a massive improvement in almost every sense.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Jack268

As long as it still pulls that shit with merging speed and strength mode into some mediocre "normal mode" it's still going to be garbage I think. That's the most glaring issue with C2 and they haven't fixed it this time around either.

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jack268:What exactly was lost because of the merge that makes the game "garbage"? The only thing that I can think of is the ability to use suit energy to reduce recoil.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@jack268 said:

As long as it still pulls that shit with merging speed and strength mode into some mediocre "normal mode" it's still going to be garbage I think. That's the most glaring issue with C2 and they haven't fixed it this time around either.

I'm afraid I don't quite see the issue you're getting at. Having two modes instead of five made the game more elegant and better-playing, in my opinion. I don't think five modes were necessary when two did the same thing.

However, strength needs to actually be strong in this one. If I can punt cars then I should be able to throw dudes across the fucking room. Like, I dunno, through a window or something.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I enjoyed Crysis 2 on my xbox and even played a good amount of the multiplayer. The single player was linear but I never had the Crysis 1 experience (should I?) so I found a good mix of stealth and strategy even in Crysis 2's linear levels. If Crysis 3 has bigger levels then great, and I'm excited.

However, I am now wondering if I should download Crysis 1 from XBLA before or after Crysis 3, just so I can finally see the contrast.

Also I'm hoping the multiplayer is better, because it was awfully laggy for the whole time I played it :(

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
    deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Nice visuals but the gameplay looks fairly generic. Maybe I'm just feeling burnt out on first-person shooters. Interested to see more variation in enemies. Also the melee combat looks clunky.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scrawnto: Speed mode no longer gives any speed, strength mode no longer gives any strength.

I just think it's retarded that the "nanosuit 2" is worse than the original nanosuit in every single regard.

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Scrawnto

@jack268: You can still super jump, and you can still run real fast, can't you? I didn't actually play it myself, but I watched hamst3r's playthrough, and I'm pretty sure I saw him do both of those things. I guess maybe you can't steady your aim in strength mode anymore? I'm just drawing a blank as to what there is of significance that was lost.

Frankly, I think the limited environments and linearity of advancement through the levels was the greater loss.

RedRavN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By RedRavN

I enjoyed Crysis 2 on my xbox and even played a good amount of the multiplayer. The single player was linear but I never had the Crysis 1 experience (should I?) so I found a good mix of stealth and strategy even in Crysis 2's linear levels. If Crysis 3 has bigger levels then great, and I'm excited.

However, I am now wondering if I should download Crysis 1 from XBLA before or after Crysis 3, just so I can finally see the contrast.

Also I'm hoping the multiplayer is better, because it was awfully laggy for the whole time I played it :(

I enjoyed crysis 2 a lot actually and for what it was, a slightly dumb spectacular linear fps, the game delivered the goods in ways that others have not. In the mind set of crysis 2 being like a sci-fi call of duty with maybe a bit more game-play nuance its a great experience. Now crysis 1 is also a great game but feels a bit different than its sequel. The game design in the first half is much more open but still linear. What I mean is that you spawn into a level and you have an objective but its your choice how you get there. So you could bushwack your way through a secret jungle path, try and drive, sneak through an enemy camp and steal a boat, try and cloak your way through, avoid enemies etc. In Crysis 1 you have much more player agency about how you want to approach objectives and the use of powers and weapons feels a bit more "tactical". In the second half of the game, it gets a bit more linear and scripted. Things get urgent as you try to get off the island which turns into a huge freezing warzone.

There is a reason besides crysis 1s stellar graphics that it was so critically praised at the time of release. It is also a great playing game and has a more interesting story progression than its sequel. The game holds up remarkably well even today and in my opinion its a must play kind of game. I dont think we would have games like farcry 3 if crysis had not come out. I would also recommend you play on PC considering the console version does not even come close in graphical fidelity. But from what I understand the console version is at least a decent but scaled back version. If you play the original and crysis warhead (which is also excellent) you are easily looking at an epic 20 hour single player game. Not sure if multiplayer works or is still active. I think if you like crysis 2 then you should also like crysis 1 if not more so.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Sooty

I thought 2 was pretty good but I do regret spending the full amount of money on it. I enjoyed it far more than the first game which I found too open and the alien levels in that game blew.

Optimistic about 3 but I'll probably wait for a sale, and that will mean Origin sales, so by that I mean I'll probably never play it. (Origin sales kind of suck)

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

This looks good. I have yet to play the second one however. I hated the first one but everything i saw of the second one looked like a better, more focused game.

Visually it is stunning. The lighting and colors. It looks great.

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By jacdg

I somewhat liked the first game, really enjoyed Warhead but never finished 2, it just didn't feel that great to me. This looks pretty good, but if it's just more Crysis 2, no thanks.

UlquioKani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By UlquioKani

I enjoyed Crysis 2 but don't really want to play more of it and so far there isn't anything new here that makes me want to play it.

vaportra1l

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So this looks pretty great, glad to see Psycho is back since Warhead was the best Crysis game imo. That gameplay shows much less linearity when compared to Crysis 2 also. I heard good things about the multiplayer, maybe I'll try it out. 2's was basically COD which I think they got away from with 3? I hope anyways.

kdavey2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

If they go back to the open-endedness that the first game had and the sequel so sorely missed (and it looks like they may well have) then I'm so there.

Although maybe not for full price.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

The game looks like a good mix of Crysis 1 & 2 to me, which sounds great to me.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By Tennmuerti

Eh, I couldn't even be bothered to finish Crysis 2.

With neutered gameplay and a super suit that did not make you feel any more super then playing any other fps. That feeling of power that original Crysis and something like the Darkness 2 pulled off much better. The nails in the coffin were linear levels and story that bored me into mind numbing apathy.

So despite the more open environments, a lot more needs to be changed for me to ever consider picking up a new Crysis game.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

The system requirements for Ultra are so high, I needed to upgrade my video cards just to play this video.

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#19  Edited By buft

I'm excited, i enjoyed Crysis 1, not nearly as much as some others but it was fun and when two came out i played it on the 360 which was still a great experience, i enjoyed the changes they made to the power system, having two buttons which changed the power modes was a good idea it made the game that much more accessible and since the moves like super jumps and super strength for lifting and melee still took energy they weren't exploitable at all, a great refinement to the gameplay over dumbing down in my opinion.

The smaller maps didn't bother me ether, there was still a level of freedom in how you approached missions, multiple routes through areas and this allowed them to create tighter combat scenarios much better than in the first game with better set pieces overall.

@dgtlty said:

Nice visuals but the gameplay looks fairly generic. Maybe I'm just feeling burnt out on first-person shooters. Interested to see more variation in enemies. Also the melee combat looks clunky.

yeh from what i played on the beta it seemed real clunky, i think the hit box is where the fist goes which doesnt always seem to be where the cursor is, with a mouse there was no real feedback if you hit or not and the one match i played with the controller didnt help either since it vibrates when you punch and is indistinguishable from the vibrate of a hit.

Guns feel good though, they feel weighty like those in Killzone; if not quite that level of heaviness in the movement of the gun.

zenmastah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Apparently the SP is 5hrs long, really interested if thats the case.

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The best parts of Crysis 1 were when you were fighting other humans, once you reached the aliens, it quickly went downhill. Crysis 2 was a snorefest for me (I literally fell asleep at my desk playing). This looks promising, but if the SP campaign is only 5 hours long, I'll wait for a big sale, since I don't really have any interest in competitive multiplayer.

I don't understand how you can make such promising technology that looks so amazing, and then weigh it down with a short, mediocre storyline, but it seems to be what Crytek excels at.

OfficeGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Apparently the SP is 5hrs long, really interested if thats the case.

Interested in what?

zenmastah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

I hate to be "that guy", and maybe humans in 2047 don't have blood, but otherwise, when he stabs a dude in the water, shouldn't there be blood in the water?

zenmastah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By zenmastah

@krakn3dfx:

Were not quite there technically im afraid.

=)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.