Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Crysis

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 13, 2007

As Nomad, an elite soldier outfitted in a state-of-the-art Nanosuit that gives him superhuman abilities, infiltrate a North Korean-held island to rescue captured scientists... and face a reawakening ancient evil that threatens the entire world. Crysis is well known for its high system requirements and top of the line graphics.

Cloud computing

yoob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By yoob

Crysis really can't do clouds properly. You have four ways of doing them, each one broken in some way. VolumeObjects have the self-shading but no sun backlighting or texture. Cloud entities have some texture, albeit very low-res, and basic sun interaction, but no self-shading. DistantClouds are just flat planes of clouds with normal mapping, but they're good in that they do the job done for high altitude clouds. And then there's good old skyboxes, those unfortunately break the sun flare, moon texture, and sky hdr.

So I did them with something that Crysis can do extremely well - particle effects. Compared to the other methods, particles have a few shortcomings too, namely no backlighting and no water reflections. But what they do have is plenty, plenty of detail, and the basic self-shadowing. Also, random rotation and random generation allow for some subtle movements, and give the impression of actual clouds as they are constantly moving and shifting. They're not perfect by any stretch, but will have to do. High-altitude stratus clouds I took care of with just DistanceClouds. Been doing some building stuff too, as seen in this abandoned boathouse.

Also that leaf texture I tried to make excuses for really sucked dick, so I went and redid it with putting some actual effort into it this time. Perfectionism stinks.
    yoob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By yoob

Crysis really can't do clouds properly. You have four ways of doing them, each one broken in some way. VolumeObjects have the self-shading but no sun backlighting or texture. Cloud entities have some texture, albeit very low-res, and basic sun interaction, but no self-shading. DistantClouds are just flat planes of clouds with normal mapping, but they're good in that they do the job done for high altitude clouds. And then there's good old skyboxes, those unfortunately break the sun flare, moon texture, and sky hdr.

So I did them with something that Crysis can do extremely well - particle effects. Compared to the other methods, particles have a few shortcomings too, namely no backlighting and no water reflections. But what they do have is plenty, plenty of detail, and the basic self-shadowing. Also, random rotation and random generation allow for some subtle movements, and give the impression of actual clouds as they are constantly moving and shifting. They're not perfect by any stretch, but will have to do. High-altitude stratus clouds I took care of with just DistanceClouds. Been doing some building stuff too, as seen in this abandoned boathouse.

Also that leaf texture I tried to make excuses for really sucked dick, so I went and redid it with putting some actual effort into it this time. Perfectionism stinks.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.