Crytek x Free Radical

Posted by Jeff (3580 posts) -
Will the TimeSplitters series live on? We'll have to wait and see.
Reports on a rumored deal between Crytek and Free Radical Design started fluttering about last night, and this morning, it seems as if it's become official. GI.biz is confirming that Crytek has purchased Free Radical, and that the move has saved "over 40 jobs."

The details of the transaction have not been announced as of this writing. Considering Crytek's technical know-how and Free Radical's console focus, the two first-person shooter developers could make a pretty tight fit.
Staff Online
#1 Posted by Jeff (3580 posts) -
Reports on a rumored deal between Crytek and Free Radical Design started fluttering about last night, and this morning, it seems as if it's become official. GI.biz is confirming that Crytek has purchased Free Radical, and that the move has saved "over 40 jobs."

The details of the transaction have not been announced as of this writing. Considering Crytek's technical know-how and Free Radical's console focus, the two first-person shooter developers could make a pretty tight fit.
Staff Online
#2 Posted by Dauragon (554 posts) -

Dear god please let there be a Timsplitters 4

PLEASE

#3 Edited by MeatSim (10871 posts) -

Yes we need a Timesplitters 4, Timesplitters is such a awesome series

#4 Posted by AndrewB (7633 posts) -

TimeCrysis was the best title I could find around the 'nets.

#5 Posted by IncredibleBulk92 (936 posts) -

Man screw Timesplitters. Give me more Star Wars Battlefield.  This news along with the Red Dead news bring me hope that good games will actually be released this year.  Actually make that games will actually be released.  Seriously Is there anything exciting for this year yet? CoD42 is the only other one I'm looking forward to

#6 Posted by Snail (8606 posts) -

It MUST live on, with no fucking art style changes.

#7 Posted by TomA (2531 posts) -

Yay,two of my favoruite developers ever combining that's awesome!

#8 Posted by DevilishSix (102 posts) -

Seeing as the founders of Free Radical like Denis Doack have left and formed another development house and because the studio was in receivership with most employees gone...I would say all Crytek is really buying is the IP's and their console engines and development tools.

#9 Posted by EmptyQuarter (93 posts) -

Oh, that's great news. 

Second Sight was one of my favourtie games of the last generation, and woefully overlooked. Hopefully they can make a game as good as that again, and keep the Timesplitters franchise going. The FPS genre could use some comedy gingerbread men and Elvis impersonators amongst the tourettes suffering space marines.
#10 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6229 posts) -

Awesome news!

#11 Posted by gunswordfist (576 posts) -
Jeff said:
"

"

?!!!! Are you shyetting me Jeff! This has got to be the best buyout EVER! I've always loved Free Radical. Last gen, they made my favorite FPS for that, TimeSplitters 2 (which still doesn't work on my 360 hehe). And the gen before that, they were with Rare and made my favorite FPS of all time, Goldeneye. As for Crytek, I love Far Cry. I have yet to play Crysis yet because I don't have a pc powerful enough to split atoms but one day I'll hopefully will. This should definitely mean TimeSplitters 4 is coming. I'm hoping for some of the best bot multiplayer matches ever again.
#12 Posted by DuhQbnSiLo (2139 posts) -

I want time splitters 4!

#13 Posted by drifter13x (29 posts) -

This is easy people, Timesplitters IP + Cryengine = Win. It even gives Crytek their in to the console game that they want. And gives me an IP i'm intrested in as opposed to the last two Crysis games that gave me zero personality and lost me after the half way point.

#14 Posted by FlipperDesert (2090 posts) -

Timesplitters 4 may come out now, Crytek now gets unconditional love from me. \o/

#15 Posted by Bucketdeth (8012 posts) -

Yes, if Crytek saves the Timesplitters series, I will personally be there dirty sex slave, you heard it here first.

#16 Posted by PJ (1146 posts) -

Dude Time Splitters 4 on the Cry Engine. I can't Wait!!!!! Also now Battlefront 3 might get done by FR and that awesome Land-to-space-to-spaceship transition might become reality

#17 Posted by Lozz (308 posts) -

I so want another Timesplitters.

#18 Posted by RHCPfan24 (8609 posts) -

Best. Buyout. Ever.
Well, maybe not ever, but great to hear. I <3 Timesplitters.

#19 Posted by gunswordfist (576 posts) -
RHCPfan24 said:
"Best. Buyout. Ever.
Well, maybe not ever, but great to hear. I <3 Timesplitters."

No, this IS the Best. Buyout. Ever.
#20 Posted by FLStyle (4723 posts) -

Wooo congrats to those who's jobs have been saved.

#21 Posted by Kohe321 (3529 posts) -

Yes! We want timecrysis!

#22 Posted by HatKing (5974 posts) -

OMG OMG OMG I LOVE YOU CRYTEK.......AHHH YEAH!!! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!  AHH!!!  *thud*

#23 Posted by InFamous91 (931 posts) -

Free Radical's people were saved........Lets just how things are going to go from here

#24 Posted by spilledmilkfactory (1880 posts) -

wow, excellent news!

#25 Posted by VilhelmNielsen (1735 posts) -

Great, now make better games!

#26 Posted by EndlessMike (516 posts) -

That's good news. I always loved the time splitters games.

#27 Posted by Vod_Crack (723 posts) -

Great merge

#28 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

This is very cool, very unexpected news. I'm happy to hear this.

#29 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

Wait, didn't these guys make Star Wars: Battlefronts?

#30 Posted by MadExponent (305 posts) -

Well, Crytek definitely wears the pants I will tell you that.  Plus, they make better shooters anyway.  It will be more like Crysis makes a game for PC and Free Radical tries to port it to consoles.

#31 Posted by JoelTGM (5596 posts) -

happy

#32 Posted by lordofultima (6252 posts) -

Aw, what a bunch of sweethearts.

#33 Posted by canucks23 (1087 posts) -

omg... a timesplitters with crytek's tech = sexmazing

#34 Posted by dsplayer1010 (2227 posts) -

Dear Crytek,
Thankyou

#35 Posted by NinjaSquirrel (234 posts) -

That's some cool news. Great to hear some of those free radical guys are gonna be backed up by the crytek engine. Great fit. But seriously, watch them make a pc-exclusive TS4. That would be hilarious.

#36 Posted by Mattalorian (594 posts) -

Sweet. Definitely cool news.
Not a bad ending for Free Radical.

#37 Posted by ArclightBorealis (1563 posts) -

Nice! Now let's hope Timesplitters 4 can finally come. These two groups are one of the best at developing FPS games, and I can only expect great things from them.

#38 Posted by Doomshine (149 posts) -

Timesplitters 4. You will let them make it Crytek!

#39 Posted by gunswordfist (576 posts) -
NinjaSquirrel said:
"That's some cool news. Great to hear some of those free radical guys are gonna be backed up by the crytek engine. Great fit. But seriously, watch them make a pc-exclusive TS4. That would be hilarious."

lol Yes it would be. I already talked about preordering a pc. Anything for a FRD game.
#40 Posted by Media_Master (3283 posts) -

Awesome!

#41 Posted by georgecletus (68 posts) -

if Harry Tipper and Jack Carver had a baby...

#42 Posted by CreamyGoodness (1086 posts) -
IncredibleBulk92 said:
"Man screw Timesplitters. Give me more Star Wars Battlefield.  This news along with the Red Dead news bring me hope that good games will actually be released this year.  Actually make that games will actually be released.  Seriously Is there anything exciting for this year yet? CoD42 is the only other one I'm looking forward to"
ya its battlefront and pandemic makes it. You sir get this
#43 Posted by coco_bagel (5 posts) -

awesome

#44 Posted by Linkyshinks (9880 posts) -

Rebranded as Crytek UK

"Free Radical Design is a great fit to Crytek and its culture, given that Free Radical has a proven track record on delivering high quality games.

The combination of this team, the Crytek network and our CryENGINE technology will be a foundation for outstanding gaming experiences and a magnet for the best talent in the UK."

Crytek boss Avni Yerli

http://www.vg247.com/2009/02/04/free-radical-to-be-rebranded-crytek-uk/

#45 Posted by giyanks22 (2681 posts) -

Timesplitters is awesome...
i want that, and a Star Wars battlefront, cause Free Radical was supposedly developing that, until they laid off a shitload of people.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.