Cyberpunk interviews | will be multiplatform, still a ways off

#1 Edited by Fjordson (2448 posts) -
#2 Posted by squidraid (129 posts) -

As long as not being PC exclusive doesn't mean they slack on the technical end of things to make it work. But CDPR knows how to love its audience.

#3 Posted by zenmastah (913 posts) -

Next-Gen and CDPR = WIN

I have absolute faith in them with this one.

#4 Edited by OfficeGamer (1087 posts) -

DRM free? Now that's an intelligent move. When developers just accept that piracy is a thing and push hard for a good experience to those who buy it, whilst of course having faith in their product and it actually being a good product, with good developer support, they won't only make great money, they'll get a good reputation.

When you're angered that 5 out of 10 people buy the game and the remaining 5 pirate it, and you damage your product trying to disallow those 3 to pirate it, you end up losing the 5 you started out with.

When you're happy that 5 out of 10 bought it and you support your product and make a good name for yourself, you'll end up with 6 customers if not 7 out of 10, in the future. You will have good profit.

#5 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3835 posts) -

This is easily a next gen game, not coming out until 2015.

Hell, Witcher 3 will be next gen and it's coming out late this year or early next year (I'm assuming the date).

Really excited to see what they do with open world in these two games. Interesting new direction for them.

#6 Posted by Benny (1953 posts) -

Yeah it's 2015 at the earliest so of course it's next gen. The witcher 2 version 2.0 has no DRM too. You can install it as many times as you want on any PC and it doesn't require a disc to play.

And they must have made a decent chunk of change from their games thus far to be staffing up for some ambitious sounding projects like Cyberpunk and another Witcher.

#7 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3835 posts) -

@Benny said:

And they must have made a decent chunk of change from their games thus far to be staffing up for some ambitious sounding projects like Cyberpunk and another Witcher.

Witcher 1 sold 2 million. As I last saw, Witcher 2 sold 2.2 million. It flopped pretty bad on 360, I think 30k first month, which is a shame.

The numbers don't blow you away and they deserve more, but a big reason they can be so successful is because their budget costs are so low being a Polish studio. A similar game by a US studio would probably cost 3 times as much.

#8 Posted by Brodehouse (9950 posts) -
@ArtisanBreads

@Benny said:

Witcher 1 sold 2 million. As I last saw, Witcher 2 sold 2.2 million. It flopped pretty bad on 360, I think 30k first month, which is a shame.

The numbers don't blow you away and they deserve more, but a big reason they can be so successful is because their budget costs are so low being a Polish studio. A similar game by a US studio would probably cost 3 times as much.

Totally. If you can make a product overseas and sell to Americans, you are laughing all the way. Making a product in America to sell to Americans, good fucking luck.

I heard an unsourced (and possibly completely untrue) story that PlatinumGames' Vanquish cost something like 5 million dollars to produce. If that was a full team in California making that game on a two year cycle, you're looking at three times that number in salaries alone.
#9 Posted by Mirado (993 posts) -

@ArtisanBreads: Wasn't it released on 360 like a year after the PC version? Something tells me that the sequel to a PC only game which isn't universally known (like CoD, Bioshock or the like; The Witcher strikes me as more of a niche title), had a comparatively low marketing budget and whose main fans have already played it isn't going to pull in staggering numbers at any point on a system that gets a release a year later.

I agree with your conclusion and the fact that the game deserved even more sales, but 2.2 million sales to a little known (outside of the PC RPG market, at least) Polish developer is probably a massive windfall. I don't know what their sales targets were, but they probably smashed them, especially for the first game.

#10 Posted by Benny (1953 posts) -

@Brodehouse: Exactly, and I think anyone giving CD Projekt Red the 'Eastern Bloc' label probably haven't played The Witcher 2, totally up there with the 'AAA' devs of the western world in terms of quality and polish. Also Polish.

#11 Posted by Brodehouse (9950 posts) -
@Benny oh Polish polish is the best!
#12 Posted by Raven10 (1790 posts) -

@ArtisanBreads said:

@Benny said:

They probably make most their money off of GOG and their publishing activities in Poland. Just like how Valve makes most its money off Steam. I'm sure being a Polish studio they probably broke even on The Witcher 2, but I can't see it being a runaway success for them.

#13 Edited by KittyVonDoom (445 posts) -

DRM-free on PC?

Um yeah, good luck with that. At least they should have console sales.

#14 Posted by squidraid (129 posts) -

Witcher 2 made an awesome 360 port. Hard to believe it flopped. That's a shame.

#15 Posted by OfficeGamer (1087 posts) -

@squidraid said:

Witcher 2 made an awesome 360 port. Hard to believe it flopped. That's a shame.

it flopped on 360?

#16 Posted by AlexW00d (6275 posts) -

@KittyVonDoom said:

DRM-free on PC?

Um yeah, good luck with that. At least they should have console sales.

You mean like those 2.2 million sales they got on DRM free Witcher 2?

#17 Posted by CodenameD (2 posts) -

If it's gonna be DRM Free it's a sure Pre-Order from me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.