GOG & CD Projekt Red To Discuss Cyberpunk on October 18th

#1 Edited by jakob187 (21732 posts) -

Source

I've been dying for any new information that could possibly come out about this Cyberpunk game, and with CD Projekt Red behind it, there's just no way it can suck, right?

Nonetheless, they've been working a lot with GOG lately on all kinds of different stuff, and not only will GOG be talking about how they plan on making their site better through the next year, but they will also have CD Projekt Red on hand to discuss both the REDKit as well as Cyberpunk itself.

GET HYPE?!

*EDIT* AND CYBERPUNK 2077 HAS BEEN ANNOUNCED! I'm excited, not only because it's the guys behind The Witcher (which we knew), but because they have the original creator of Cyberpunk working with them AS WELL as moving it into the year 2077. Should be VERY interesting. I also updated the link above with the game's website.

#2 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11456 posts) -

Cool!

#3 Posted by Daneian (1251 posts) -

Might as well finish up my Cyberpunk campaign from a year ago to re-familiarize myself with the rule set and world.

#4 Posted by BoG (5192 posts) -

First of all, cool. I'm excited.

@Daneian said:

Might as well finish up my Cyberpunk campaign from a year ago to re-familiarize myself with the rule set and world.

Second, and forgive me for straying a little, how important is it to you (and other video/tabletop gamers) to be familiar with a ruleset in games which are based upon the rules of tabletop games? Would playing Planescape be more fun if I understood D&D? Will playing Cyberpunk be more fun if I understand the game that inspired it? Just curious.

#5 Posted by Daneian (1251 posts) -

@BoG: To be completely honest, this one campaign is the only table top rpg game I've ever played, so I have a tiny emotional connection to it having played with my friends.

I think the familiarity with the rules, classes, abilities and lore could give me understanding of what this game could be. The ruleset is fairly flexible so it will be interesting to see the gameplay mechanics they implement for them and to what scale. What are my restrictions? Could I be a Rockerboy with charismatic leadership? Can I be a fixer for other operatives? I doubt it but, man, that would be great. Since there are important characters in Cyberpunk, I'd like to see how CD Projekt translates them and the world that exists in the fiction and compare it with what I have in my mind.

#6 Posted by Fjordson (2453 posts) -

I'm so excited

#7 Posted by SpartanHoplite (388 posts) -

So is there new info out there?

#8 Posted by Tennmuerti (8172 posts) -

I want one thing out of this:

Cyborg sex scenes.

#9 Posted by BeachThunder (12305 posts) -

It would be nice if they actually released some more info about this; an incredibly vague premise, a logo, and three pieces of concept art isn't really much to go on...

#10 Edited by Tennmuerti (8172 posts) -

@BoG:

I learned all the D&D systems from the computer games personally. It just makes it harder to jump in for the first time, but that's about it. Having never played a single tabletop game in my life; games like Baldur's Gate 2 and Planescape Torment are still part of my all time favorites. So i would say prior experience of the tabletop ruleset is not required to enjoy those games to the full.

However it's a particular fictional setting, familiarity with said setting will definitely increase your enjoyment (like why Vinny reads the books for example). The above mentioned games actually got me interested in those settings in the first place, and made me seek out background knowledge of them. Tho personally I only go so far as to dig around wiki's and forums mostly, I tried reading some forgotten realms books and they sucked.

#11 Posted by BeachThunder (12305 posts) -

@Tennmuerti said:

Cyberpunk in this case can (and most likely does) simply mean a general theme. Not a specific tabletop setting/campaign.

This is actually an official Cyberpunk game, the guy that created the original Cyberpunk pen and paper RPG is working alongside CD Projekt Red to create the game.

#12 Posted by Tennmuerti (8172 posts) -

@BeachThunder said:

@Tennmuerti said:

Cyberpunk in this case can (and most likely does) simply mean a general theme. Not a specific tabletop setting/campaign.

This is actually an official Cyberpunk game, the guy that created the original Cyberpunk pen and paper RPG is working alongside CD Projekt Red to create the game.

Ah good to know, thanks for the info.

My bad.

#13 Posted by BoG (5192 posts) -

@Tennmuerti: Ok, that maes sesne. I absolutely understand what you're saying about how an understanding of the lore can enhance the experience. I started playing WoW with no prior Warcraft experience, and that eventually lead to days spent studying the lore. That, in turn, made WoW more enjoyable, because I understood the world.

#14 Posted by beepmachine (618 posts) -

I've only ever played D&D, never actually heard of cyberpunk. What's it like?

#15 Posted by Aniv (2 posts) -

Hi,

I am new on this forum, but I have found this yesterday. They say that the trailer should be this week. Hope it helps:

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/01/07/cyberpunk-2077-teaser-image-emerges?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ign%2Fnews+%28IGN+All+News%29

A.

#16 Posted by Ghostiet (5289 posts) -

I'm excited.

Although, if they really want to capture the essence of a Cyberpunk RPG experience, the gameplay has to be super gory, extremely luck-based, the mechanics have to be poorly explained and shit has to be broken and imbalanced everywhere.

#17 Edited by Giantstalker (1715 posts) -

@Ghostiet said:

Although, if they really want to capture the essence of a Cyberpunk RPG experience, the gameplay has to be super gory, extremely luck-based, the mechanics have to be poorly explained and shit has to be broken and imbalanced everywhere.

I've never played Cyberpunk, but that right there sounds an awful lot like an average day during a game of Shadowrun

Only with less magic and trolls, which I quite frankly won't mind.

#18 Posted by Ghostiet (5289 posts) -
@Giantstalker said:

@Ghostiet said:

I've never played Cyberpunk, but that right there sounds an awful lot like an average day during a game of Shadowrun

Only with less magic and trolls, which I quite frankly won't mind.

It is a clusterfuck of a game. Which is partially what makes it so charming. It's such a broken mess that has so much potential for stupid shit to happen you'll be excited. You'll be waiting for the luck table to come up after a critical hit or miss.

The key to enjoying Cyberpunk - as it mostly is with every tabletop RPG, but especially here - is to avoid following the rules to the letter. With a particularly lenient GM, the thing is fucking magical. During our last session, my buddy finally cracked the code to playing as a Netrunner, a class that is so poorly explained in the rulebook that we desperately tried to avoid it, and he was killing people in a club with dubstep blasting from the speakers. Which was technically possible, since volume manipulation is an actual fucking skill and is used as distractions/stunning power.

#19 Posted by Aniv (2 posts) -

Guys!

CD Projekt Red has just released the teaser! It says so on their fanpage on Facebook. It's on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P99qJGrPNLs

I am starting watching right now! Just wanted to let you know.

#20 Posted by Vrikk (933 posts) -

I have no reason to doubt this game won't be good.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.