Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Sep 19, 2014

Headed by "Swery" (creator of the 2010 cult-classic Deadly Premonition), D4 is an episodic adventure game following the surreal mystery of David Young, a private detective with the power to "dive" into past events in order to investigate the murder of his wife.

Low sales for D4 - No one is getting the D

• 104 results
    Avatar image for matthewthebeast
    MatthewTheBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By MatthewTheBeast

When I was lurking the ole NeoGaf forums I stumbled upon this little tidbit: D4 sold less than 10k in late September.

No Caption Provided

It's quite a damn shame that D4 is kinda in the gutter at the moment. Personally, I was planning to get it on PC in a similar vain to the other xbone exclusive DR3.

Hopefully, this game would pick up some steam with some help from actual marketing from Microsoft and/or popular gaming personalities.

SWERY's twitter : https://twitter.com/Swery65

Topic/Giveaway thread link: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=902813

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Microsoft doesn't seem to care too much about weird creative games that go completely against the flow. I'm surprised it's on the Xbox One in the first place.

I haven't finished D4 but I love the time I've spent with it.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#3  Edited By Yummylee

D'aww =( At the same time I can't say I'm wholly surprised, though. If I had an XB1 I know I would have gladly scooped it up.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By cornbredx

When they reviewed it on Gamespot a majority of the comments it received was "I've never heard of this game- it looks stupid"

Ya, real shame. Unfortunately the platform it would do best on is not the platform it released on.

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
    deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If it was out on PC I would buy right now.

MatthewTheBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It is quite surprising that MS payed for the development of this game and given it no marketing whatsoever. Although, this scenario is certainty not unique, see Shadows of the Damned.

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
    connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It is quite surprising that MS payed for the development of this game and given it no marketing whatsoever. Although, this scenario is certainty not unique, see Shadows of the Damned.

Besides playing up the "From the Creator of Deadly Premonition" I have no idea how you can market Swery insanity.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd totally buy it if only to support Swery...but come on Xbox One exclusive? No real reason for me to buy that console. I had my friend talk me into a PS4 to play Destiny and Fifa with him...also Bloodborne...hey.

At least come out on PC too.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

Sony have proven to be just as bad in certain cases as well. Games such as Puppeteer and Ratchet & Clank: Into The Nexus also received an equally non-existent amount of marketing.

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
    connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@connerthekewlkid said:

@matthewthebeast said:

Besides playing up the "From the Creator of Deadly Premonition" I have no idea how you can market Swery insanity.

advertise it during a Twin Peaks marathon

Has there been one recently?

HeyGuys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's a bummer, I don't have an X One but the game looks interesting and I'd love to support Swery for doing his thing.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc86d541ecee
    deactivated-5fc86d541ecee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really don't like seeing Swery sad. I don't have an Xbox yet, but I'm tempted to just buy the game anyway. It's a huge bummer that Microsoft just threw this out with no acknowledgement. It may not have mainstream appeal, but it's one of the most interesting things on either system at this point.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, came out on XBone so it didn't really matter if it sold well in the first place.

UlquioKani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Bring it to PC, I'll buy it.

MatthewTheBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MatthewTheBeast

@yummylee said:

@matthewthebeast said:

Sony have proven to be just as bad in certain cases as well. Games such as Puppeteer and Ratchet & Clank: Into The Nexus also received an equally non-existent amount of marketing.

It is quite upsetting that these games don't get recognize. This specific event hits too close to home because of SWERY's relation to Giantbomb.

On a slightly different subject, I thought the rise of the Youtube personalities would help alleviate the lack of marketing for unique/good unknowns. D4 just screams reaction Let's Play much to both its benefit and detriment. On second thought, I recall Microsoft had some weird contracts required for Let's Plays on youtube, which might ruin any of shred of perceive notion that a Youtubers loyalties were with the "people" and not to big corporations. C'est la vie.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#17  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

That really is too bad. I would buy it in a heartbeat if it was on a platform I own. :( I hope they bring to Pc at some point.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#18  Edited By Slag

If it was on PC I'd definitely buy it. Day 1

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

Microsoft doesn't seem to care too much about weird creative games that go completely against the flow. I'm surprised it's on the Xbox One in the first place.

I haven't finished D4 but I love the time I've spent with it.

As far as I can tell, Microsoft is pulling the exact same strategy with Japanese devs at the start of this generation as they did with the Xbox 360. Fund some devs to get games out for the Japanese audience in time for the console's launch in the region, and then abandon them once the games are released.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i would buy this but can't play it. should pick up DP on PC to show some solidarity.

poor swery :(

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

goddammit, :(, id buy it on PC in a heartbeat. this shouldn't have gone exclusive (but considering how heavy microsoft studios is in on this game since their logo is prominent in the game, i guess it wouldnt have gotten made otherwise?)

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jokers_Wild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wasn't D4 first announced back when Microsoft was still pushing the Kinect? It's unfortunate, but at this point they've basically swept everything Kinect-related under the rug.

Gonmog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

people should just be buying it. It is a fantastic game, not waiting for a unlikely pc port. it is on the front part of Xbox Ones screen right now. People need to stop saying "Ill only buy it on" such and such. I feel bad for Swery cause of all the tweets he has had to deal with about this.

With out Microsoft it would flat out not be made. They funded the damn thing. And the workmanship is awesome in the game. I hope they put out season 2. But that wont happen with everyone saying it should be on all systems. This is almost as bad as Baynetta. This is on the fans. Not Microsoft. Buy the games that should be bought based on the fact they are good games. Not cause you hate one system over a other.

I swear the past few years with the MILLIONS of dollars going into advertising people see that as a aspect as if a game is good or needs the advertising at all. The past few weeks has seen some of the best games of the year come out, this, and Shadow, and both had near no advertising really. But seeing the number of tweets saying they will not buy D4 cause it is on Xbox One, and they hate Microsoft so they will never buy the system is just sad. It is a awesome game, and needs more love from the Press. (Course they are to busy getting hits with crappy articles on Destiny or click bate crap saying kissing your wife in shadow is training you to kill!!!...UGH)

Avatar image for spilledmilkfactory
    spilledmilkfactory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

User Lists: 23

I'll definitely pick this up at some point in the future, but I don't even have $15 to spare for the next few months. Damn college. Seems like the kind of game that will end up on Games With Gold sooner rather than later, but then again MS would have to acknowledge its existence before that could happen.

Edit: Just realized Swery follows me on Twitter, holy shit

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Hunkulese

@gonmog: People want a PC port because they don't have an Xbox. How is that a problem?

MatthewTheBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can understand the indignation at the brewing console war nonsense and how people don't get some games are exclusive because the console marker PAYED for their development. I just hope that D4 will get ported to PC once the exclusivity ends (3-6 months, maybe?) and if this game proves to be at least somewhat successful within a quarter of a year.

PimblyCharles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By PimblyCharles

Can't say I'm surprised since it's a niche game on a single platform. If it gets a PC release on Steam (PLEASE MICROSOFT!), that should help sales a lot. I want to see Swery succeed, he and his team deserve it.

I'd buy it day one on PC if it happens. I don't own a XBox One and have no plans to in the near future.

Avatar image for boom_goes_the_dynamite
    Boom_goes_the_dynamite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Edit: Just realized Swery follows me on Twitter, holy shit

He follows me too, I think he just follows everyone that follows him, and that's pretty cool.

KaneRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 9

Bought. Won't have time to get to it anytime soon, but MS not pushing it at all is fucking garbage. Game deserves more.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 BisonHero  Online

I dunno, did Deadly Premonition sell that well in the first month? Or ever? At best D4 will pick up a similar weird cult following akin to Deadly Premonition/Killer 7, but apparently right now people aren't informed enough to actually follow Swery and his new projects.

I expected this game to wildly undersell, because it's a niche type of offbeat game and it's only coming out on one platform and they hyped it as a Kinect game even though it's way more playable with a controller. Honestly, I'd play it if I owned the platform it was available on. Put it out on PC or all the other consoles and maybe it would've done better.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#32  Edited By musubi

I feel fucking awful for Swery and his team. Did Microsoft publish this? If not hopefully he can somehow get it on PS4. I do think that is something that Sony would promote.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#33  Edited By MooseyMcMan

I would have bought this game in a heartbeat if I had an Xbox One, or if it came out on something I own. Hell, I'd have dusted off my 360 if there was a 360 version (and nothing I've seen looks like a 360 couldn't run it).

It's a bummer though. Big bummer.

@demoskinos Microsoft funded and published it. Swery has said that it will never come to PS4. :'(

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

@demoskinos: It is a Microsoft funded and published game, so don't expect it anywhere else.

It's a pity, but I also don't think D4 selling super poorly is an especially... unexpected thing? Certainly doesn't help that Microsoft seemingly put much behind it, but I'm not sure how you can sell that game to a mainstream audience who doesn't already know the kind of thing they're getting into.

PimblyCharles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By PimblyCharles
    @demoskinos said:

I feel fucking awful for Swery and his team. Did Microsoft publish this? If not hopefully he can somehow get it on PS4. I do think that is something that Sony would promote.

Yes, it was published by Microsoft. There's a chance it could come to PC, but that is their decision. It could end up like Alan Wake and other similar Microsoft published properties where they don't push out a PC release. Remedy had to publish Alan Wake themselves (with MS's permission) to get it on PC.

It's a crying shame that this awesome game wasn't published by another company that would release this on all platforms for maximum sales.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#36  Edited By BoOzak

So no season 2 then? That really sucks. I'm happy to have contributed to Swery's madness though, and I hope once it goes to PC (if it ever does) people actually buy it.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ThunderSlash

Well there's still holiday season right?

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#38 fisk0  Moderator

I hope there'll be a PC version. I'd buy it twice like I did with Deadly Premonition if it turns up both on GOG and Steam again.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By whitegreyblack

@mrfluke: Geez, they even had a vacant slot open under "exclusives" in which to put D4:

No Caption Provided

Eventually, I will get an Xbox One. And I will buy D4. Unfortunately, that might be in 1-2 years.

cooljammer00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, even though there was that GAFfer giving away free money to get people to buy D4, people were still refusing to do it.

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

@gonmog said:

people should just be buying it. It is a fantastic game, not waiting for a unlikely pc port. it is on the front part of Xbox Ones screen right now. People need to stop saying "Ill only buy it on" such and such. I feel bad for Swery cause of all the tweets he has had to deal with about this.

With out Microsoft it would flat out not be made. They funded the damn thing. And the workmanship is awesome in the game. I hope they put out season 2. But that wont happen with everyone saying it should be on all systems. This is almost as bad as Baynetta. This is on the fans. Not Microsoft. Buy the games that should be bought based on the fact they are good games. Not cause you hate one system over a other.

I swear the past few years with the MILLIONS of dollars going into advertising people see that as a aspect as if a game is good or needs the advertising at all. The past few weeks has seen some of the best games of the year come out, this, and Shadow, and both had near no advertising really. But seeing the number of tweets saying they will not buy D4 cause it is on Xbox One, and they hate Microsoft so they will never buy the system is just sad. It is a awesome game, and needs more love from the Press. (Course they are to busy getting hits with crappy articles on Destiny or click bate crap saying kissing your wife in shadow is training you to kill!!!...UGH)

I don't have an Xbox One, I bought a PS4 instead. I literally can't buy D4, whether I want to or not. I didn't buy the PS4 because I hate MS. I could only buy one, and I decided on the PS4. When I say, "I would have bought it if it came out on PS4," it's not because I hate MS, it's because I don't have an Xbox One. I would assume the same is true for most people saying they wish it was on PC or PS4.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

This makes me so fucking depressed. Swery deservers so much better. If only it had gotten a PC release, because that's clearly the community for D4's brand of insanity. If only I owned an XONE

britxmenyuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If he changes his mind and bring D4-2 to the PS4 or PC, I'll be glad to pick both version up, how about that, MS?

aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's... rather strange, considering I've been hearing about it non-stop since it came out both on Twitter and through games press.

Bums me out as all hell, though. I know I'll be getting it when I get my XONE.

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#45 sgtsphynx  Moderator

That really is too bad. I would buy it in a heartbeat if it was on a platform I own. :( I hope they bring to Pc at some point.

I feel the same way.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

@mrfluke said:

this is messed up

That is very not cool. I feel very bad for Swery and his studio, I don't understand why Microsoft won't even do the bare minimum to help them sell their game.

Why did they bother to fund it, just to leave it to die?

If I were an independent studio there is no way I'd work with Microsoft after seeing this.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@slag: My guess? They got his game to help sell and promote Kinect. But Microsoft left the Kinect to die, and so they felt no obligation to promote D4. I feel just awful for Swery.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@slag said:

@mrfluke said:

this is messed up

That is very not cool. I feel very bad for Swery and his studio, I don't understand why Microsoft won't even do the bare minimum to help them sell their game.

Why did they bother to fund it, just to leave it to die?

And here I thought that dark dreams don't die. Sorry couldn't resist.

Gonmog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Gonmog

@metalbaofu: shrugs. Well all im seeing is people tweeting him about wanting to buy it on a other system and him flat out saying if you want to play it get a Xbox one. Or use a friends xbox one. (Side note how do we know it is selling poorly? He shares lots of tweets about people liking the game.

cooljammer00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By cooljammer00

@gonmog: I think people are able to see who has played it by scraping for achievements or something.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.