Why Choplifter Creator Dan Gorlin Decided to Return to Games

patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By patrickklepek
    It took Dan Gorlin roughly six months from start to finish to develop Choplifter on the Apple ][.
    It took Dan Gorlin roughly six months from start to finish to develop Choplifter on the Apple ][.

When Dan Gorlin finished work on Choplifter and Airheart, unlike many other notable designers of his day, he left video games. Gorlin's name has resurfaced a couple of times since, but becoming involved with inXile Entertainment's Choplifter HD is the first time he's generated a headline in years.

Gorlin's working out of Philadelphia these days. If you were to take his Wikipedia page to heart, he's involved in real estate. So, uh, how does one go from creating video games to managing real estate property?

"I’m one of those guys who if you ask me what I 'do' at a cocktail party, I have to think about the answer," said Gorlin in an interview with me this week. "The truth is, I don’t do anything for very long. Most people I know don’t even know about my computer gaming work. My wife (she’s kind of the same way) became a realtor six years ago here in Philadelphia and we started buying up properties and managing them, but it was just another thing to do. I am like so done with that."

Though Gorlin is collaborating with InXile on Choplifter HD, he's quick to point out this shouldn't be heralded as some grand return to video game development ("it’s not a huge time commitment for me"). In addition to consulting on Choplifter HD, however, he is actively working with Android and exploring the idea of developing software (not necessarily games) on Google's tech.

== TEASER ==
    Like the original Choplifter, the HD version has you blowin' up dudes and rescuing other dudes.
    Like the original Choplifter, the HD version has you blowin' up dudes and rescuing other dudes.

"My role in Choplifter HD development is as design consultant and iconic ancient legendary old guy," he said. "I was able to spend some intensive time with the team fairly early in the design cycle and share my ideas and concerns, which was a lot of fun for me. I will probably do more of the same during final gameplay tuning. Also I think the inXile guys are just the kind of people who want to pay their respects to the original designers, so I’m there to appreciate the attention."

Choplifter HD isn't the first time Gorlin's been involved with a reboot of the series, either. He attempted to create Choplifter 3D himself back in the 1990s, but that never got off the ground.

"It was going great but there was a big industry consolidation going on and our project was a casualty," he said. "I think the project had three owners in its short nine month lifespan, then it was finally cancelled. Too bad; I think it would have been a great game."

It's been a good while since Choplifter was released in 1982. The industry's completely changed since then. I asked him where young Dan Gorlin though the industry was headed back then.

"Young Dan thought of video games as an emerging art form and was excited to be a part of it," he said, playing along. "He also figured they’d be a good way to make money. Unfortunately for the art form aspect, they turned out to be a *great* way to make money."

That's true enough.

Golin is actually a founder and director of Alolki West African Dance. He's even penned a songbook called
    Golin is actually a founder and director of Alolki West African Dance. He's even penned a songbook called "Songs of West Africa."

And though Gorlin is a game developer, he pushes back on being called a "gamer."

"I have never been a gamer or played games," he said. "The only games I have the patience for are the ones that are impossible to finish. For example, building games is one of my favorite games. I also love studying traditional African music and dance because I will never, ever come close to mastering it. Occasionally I play the game of making money, but unfortunately I get bored quickly and have to do something else."

That fits with his habit of moving from one thing to the next. What happens with his Android tinkering remains to be seen, but as someone who was making games, disappeared into the mist and then finds himself in familiar territory, moving back towards games haven't been a huge shift. It's a comfortable place.

"If I’ve been shocked by anything," he said, "it’s how little mainstream games have changed in the last 10 years."

patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By patrickklepek

When Dan Gorlin finished work on Choplifter and Airheart, unlike many other notable designers of his day, he left video games. Gorlin's name has resurfaced a couple of times since, but becoming involved with inXile Entertainment's Choplifter HD is the first time he's generated a headline in years.

Gorlin's working out of Philadelphia these days. If you were to take his Wikipedia page to heart, he's involved in real estate. So, uh, how does one go from creating video games to managing real estate property?

"I’m one of those guys who if you ask me what I 'do' at a cocktail party, I have to think about the answer," said Gorlin in an interview with me this week. "The truth is, I don’t do anything for very long. Most people I know don’t even know about my computer gaming work. My wife (she’s kind of the same way) became a realtor six years ago here in Philadelphia and we started buying up properties and managing them, but it was just another thing to do. I am like so done with that."

Though Gorlin is collaborating with InXile on Choplifter HD, he's quick to point out this shouldn't be heralded as some grand return to video game development ("it’s not a huge time commitment for me"). In addition to consulting on Choplifter HD, however, he is actively working with Android and exploring the idea of developing software (not necessarily games) on Google's tech.

== TEASER ==

"My role in Choplifter HD development is as design consultant and iconic ancient legendary old guy," he said. "I was able to spend some intensive time with the team fairly early in the design cycle and share my ideas and concerns, which was a lot of fun for me. I will probably do more of the same during final gameplay tuning. Also I think the inXile guys are just the kind of people who want to pay their respects to the original designers, so I’m there to appreciate the attention."

Choplifter HD isn't the first time Gorlin's been involved with a reboot of the series, either. He attempted to create Choplifter 3D himself back in the 1990s, but that never got off the ground.

"It was going great but there was a big industry consolidation going on and our project was a casualty," he said. "I think the project had three owners in its short nine month lifespan, then it was finally cancelled. Too bad; I think it would have been a great game."

It's been a good while since Choplifter was released in 1982. The industry's completely changed since then. I asked him where young Dan Gorlin though the industry was headed back then.

"Young Dan thought of video games as an emerging art form and was excited to be a part of it," he said, playing along. "He also figured they’d be a good way to make money. Unfortunately for the art form aspect, they turned out to be a *great* way to make money."

That's true enough.

Golin is actually a founder and director of Alolki West African Dance. He's even penned a songbook called
    Golin is actually a founder and director of Alolki West African Dance. He's even penned a songbook called "Songs of West Africa."

And though Gorlin is a game developer, he pushes back on being called a "gamer."

"I have never been a gamer or played games," he said. "The only games I have the patience for are the ones that are impossible to finish. For example, building games is one of my favorite games. I also love studying traditional African music and dance because I will never, ever come close to mastering it. Occasionally I play the game of making money, but unfortunately I get bored quickly and have to do something else."

That fits with his habit of moving from one thing to the next. What happens with his Android tinkering remains to be seen, but as someone who was making games, disappeared into the mist and then finds himself in familiar territory, moving back towards games haven't been a huge shift. It's a comfortable place.

"If I’ve been shocked by anything," he said, "it’s how little mainstream games have changed in the last 10 years."

SeaMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By SeaMoose

Get to tha Choppa!

PaulKemp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By PaulKemp

doh!

Danteveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 30

#4  Edited By Danteveli

Choppa Choppa down

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Doctorchimp

Way to depress Patrick. Keep 'em coming.

CyleMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By CyleMoore

I remember playing Choplifter 3 for the SNES.  It was pretty fun.

sado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By sado

Biggest news of E3 right here.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f
    deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm glad the news section doesn't suck anymore thanks to Pat.

orshick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By orshick

Hah, great little article.

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By JazGalaxy

That guy sounds really cool and has a great sense of humor.

I'd love to see more of what old creators think about modern games. I remember Roberta Williams taking modern games and gamers to task for being juvenile and taking the industry backwards.

More perspective like that might start to push the industry forward again.

Avatar image for countinhallways
    countinhallways

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By countinhallways

More of this please! Really enjoyed this pleasant little article.

steevl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By steevl

Yeah, definitely enjoying this newer side to Giant Bomb.

Hopefully the new Choplifter is good. I'm always saddened when a classic game gets a remake/reboot and it does not live up to the original.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By Brendan

Great article, thanks Patrick.

pkhilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By pkhilson
    @SeaMoose said:
    Get to tha Choppa!
    LOL
    soupbones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 14

#15  Edited By soupbones

awesome write up - a couple of us were just replaying Choplifter on the SMS. Such a great game.

aleryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#16  Edited By aleryn

Good read.  Looking forward to the game, spent way too much time with Choplifter 3 on the SNES.

jaks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By jaks

This is a cool story. I would like to see more stuff like this on Giantbomb rather than just repeating news stories from Kotaku.

bricewgilbert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 25

#18  Edited By bricewgilbert

Sadly like any popular industry the mainstream titles aren't going to be artistic or as innovative as we may want.

Hilts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By Hilts

Yeah! I loved the original chopliftet. I hope it's got a west African bongo sound track.

xpgamer7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By xpgamer7

That was depressing.

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#21  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

CHOPPA BAWS!

GiveUpNed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By GiveUpNed

I like this guy. He seems to be a doer and someone who just enjoys life and wants to do as many things as possible before he dies.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.