Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dan Ryckert

Person » credited in 4 games

Senior Editor at Giant Bomb from 2014 to 2020. Formerly of Game Informer. Author, Guinness World Record holder, lifelong wrestling mark, and failed musician. After a brief stint as Podcast Producer at WWE Ryckert returned to help guide the next generation of Giant Bomb.

Dan Ryckert food comics

• 81 results
    Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

Dan's egg story...

Seriously I'm no cook but boy, how did he even come to the conclusion of cooking the eggshells. I couldn't stop laughing at Dan telling that story.

"Mom, the eggshells aren't melting" :D

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 18

#52  Edited By monkeyking1969
    No Caption Provided

Dan is an...interesting person to be sure.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

No Caption Provided

Dan is an...interesting person to be sure.

...I would watch the hell out of that. I loved that show.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait, what is this shoebox story?

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@capum15 said:

@pabba: These are pretty great, as is Dan himself.

@hailinel said:

@hatking said:

@starvinggamer said:

@thesquarepear said:

I hope Dan is a good sport about humiliation but I fear the 'in-jokes' might stick too well (Brad). I guess I'm saying "Don't be a jerk".

Considering that Dan volunteers most of this stuff and revels in the ridiculousness when he's telling it, I don't think there's anything to worry about.

Exactly. He even sounds totally willing to try new stuff. Didn't he suggest the premium stream where Brad and Drew feed him new foods? They seem like they usually know what they're talking about when it comes to food, so that might be pretty interesting for the audience and tasty for Dan.

They really need to get another can of surströmming, just to let Dan sample its wonders.

Now you're just trying to kill the poor guy.

I am 100% on board with this idea...just have paramedics nearby.

In some poetic twist of fate he'll probably end up loving it. It'll backfire on the rest of the crew because he'll bring the cans in for lunch and they'll have to smell it all the time.

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Like everyone else, after the initial shock of Dan's utter Midwestern-ness wore off, I'm totally excited to see more Dan content.

As a Midwesterner, this makes me slightly furious. I'm not a food idiot, my bed has a frame (and a head board!), and I've never seen a bar what plays bingo in it.

Dan is just as confusing here as he is anywhere else.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hatking said:

@capum15 said:

@pabba: These are pretty great, as is Dan himself.

@hailinel said:

@hatking said:

@starvinggamer said:

@thesquarepear said:

I hope Dan is a good sport about humiliation but I fear the 'in-jokes' might stick too well (Brad). I guess I'm saying "Don't be a jerk".

Considering that Dan volunteers most of this stuff and revels in the ridiculousness when he's telling it, I don't think there's anything to worry about.

Exactly. He even sounds totally willing to try new stuff. Didn't he suggest the premium stream where Brad and Drew feed him new foods? They seem like they usually know what they're talking about when it comes to food, so that might be pretty interesting for the audience and tasty for Dan.

They really need to get another can of surströmming, just to let Dan sample its wonders.

Now you're just trying to kill the poor guy.

I am 100% on board with this idea...just have paramedics nearby.

In some poetic twist of fate he'll probably end up loving it. It'll backfire on the rest of the crew because he'll bring the cans in for lunch and they'll have to smell it all the time.

That would be the best thing ever. Just the best.

Well, not for the rest of the guys. Hazmat suits probably cost a lot. Or at least gas masks.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#58  Edited By musubi

As someone who is also very awkward and nontraditional Dan speaks to my Sensibilities. You know when he isn't shit talking mustard that is.

derek_davis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldenglishc: You must live in a state of constant rage, as I do, living in the Midwest. But isn't that why you're on the Giant Bomb forums? Looking for anyone to share your unique similar interests. I live here as well (in my case, Ohio), and my 2 best friends eat almost exactly like Dan. They order their cheeseburgers plain, maybe some ketchup. No vegetables, and definitely nothing green in color. They don't like to try anything new i.e. going to see Dave Matthews Band play the same show he's been playing for 15 years at the same location, year after year. And they will swear how things that are bad, are not actually bad. Like saying Dominoes pizza was good before Dominoes changed their recipe.

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@derek_davis: I'll run into a few rubes here and there, but for the most part, everybody I know is into more than just wrasslin' and chicken fingers. Us fine folks in the heartland need to start doing our part to put a stop to the stereotypes.

derek_davis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldenglishc: oh man you're right... I forgot chicken fingers!!!

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#62  Edited By Levius

The second comic has made me realise how the era of beard Jeff has just straight snuck up us. Nice work Duder.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The first time I heard the egg whites story I thought, "Well that's pretty funny." For whatever reason I wasn't feeling it at that moment. The second time, though, I lost it. HOW CAN A GROWN ASS MAN DO THAT?!

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dan's busy churning out golden nuggets for the community to interpret, this is great.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By EXTomar

Wasn't there a story where Dan was eating potato salad his mom made until he found it had mustard in it. And then threw it all out?

ps. This is how we make Dan's finicky tastes legendary by making up stories from half remembered stories told and retold!

ViciousReiven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@hatking said:

@pabba: Not trying be a dick, because I genuinely love these, but does Dan wear glasses? I'm just saying, I haven't seen him wear them before, but maybe I'm just wrong.

Oh god this reminds me of another dumb Dan story from GI, as a kid Dan thought glasses were cool so when he got his eyes tested he chose wrongly on purpose so he could get glasses, this in turn fucked up his eyes so for a long time he actually needed glasses, I think his dad paid for lasik as a college graduation gift iirc, but that's been wearing off so he needs reading glasses.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

@hatking said:

@pabba: Not trying be a dick, because I genuinely love these, but does Dan wear glasses? I'm just saying, I haven't seen him wear them before, but maybe I'm just wrong.

Oh god this reminds me of another dumb Dan story from GI, as a kid Dan thought glasses were cool so when he got his eyes tested he chose wrongly on purpose so he could get glasses, this in turn fucked up his eyes so for a long time he actually needed glasses, I think his dad paid for lasik as a college graduation gift iirc, but that's been wearing off so he needs reading glasses.

I think if I had a child who did that, or much of what Dan does, I would have booted him out of the house at age 18.

I imagine 6,000 years ago a father and mother in central Greece looked out the window of their sheep-skin hut to see their child...let call him Dan...spinning in the front year with a drinking gourd on his head.

The father looked at his wife and said, 'I have an idea that has been kicking around in my head about what to do with the boy. I call it the “agoge,” it will be a village-sponsored training regimen designed to mold boys like him into skilled warriors....hell, I be happy with FUNCTIONAL adult who doesn't spin around like a fool. Anyway, this “agoge" is where the boy lives in a communal barracks. The boy is instructed in scholastics, warfare, hunting....and NOT SPINNING around like a fool. At age 12, he will be deprived of all clothing save for a red cloak and forced to sleep outside. And, most importantly, I imagine A LOT of floggings for beat some sense into him...the boy has never eaten an olive! He's a damn greek and he won't eat olives, lamb, or yogurt !!!"

The wife than says, "Sounds good to me...although it is still not too late to throw him down a well...after all this is Sparta"

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
    rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By rollingzeppelin

@jadegl: Woah, you're a mod now? Awesome! :D

Awesome comics too, love the peering into the egg pan. Also, this thread has enriched my life with the knowledge that a man was walking around E3 looking at butts on Tumblr.

danryckert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 danryckert  Staff

No one ever has to worry about that. I don't take anything personally.

Pabba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@danryckert: Woo, that's good to hear! However, there were no food stories during today's UPF so I'm gonna need some new material in the next Bombcast. Thanks in advance!

xite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I must have missed it, but what's the shoebox story from? Great work by the way.

villainy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extomar said:

Wasn't there a story where Dan was eating potato salad his mom made until he found it had mustard in it. And then threw it all out?

ps. This is how we make Dan's finicky tastes legendary by making up stories from half remembered stories told and retold!

Unless I'm mistaken it was mac and cheese she had made with sour cream. That one blew my mind. Deciding you don't like something as innocuous as sour cream without ever trying it, eating it without knowing and loving it, then throwing it all in the trash when you find out. Just wow. Good thing he seems pretty damned awesome in so many other ways!

DarkeyeHails

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like how he sleeps on a floor mattress and has chipped walls but has a clean chef's uniform.

Naturally, since Dan doesn't prepare food at all (apparently) his chef outfit would be spotless.

bboymaestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@pabba said:

All right, back for round two! This time, it's all about the shoebox surprises:

No Caption Provided

Look at the tear in his eye. The man is in heaven.

SweetCrys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like your comics~ I havent made very many before so.. i think mine are dumb. :P

the second comic was funny, made me laugh

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Wait, what is this shoebox story?

For a while Dan was living off of cheese-filled hot dogs that he would macrowave inside a shoebox because he was too poor/cheap to spring for new paper plates and he doesn't believe in washing dishes. Microwaving them on a paper towel never occurred to him.

Pabba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sweetcrys: Thank you! I'm working on a third one already :D

Pabba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Pabba

All right, here's a new comic, based on Dan's scary realization that he could eat 100% biodegradable cutlery made from corn and potato starch. Not that he should, of course. DO NOT LET HIM EAT FORKS WITH FORKS.

No Caption Provided

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@pabba said:

All right, here's a new comic, based on Dan's scary realization that he could eat 100% biodegradable cutlery made from corn and potato starch. Not that he should, of course. DO NOT LET HIM EAT FORKS WITH FORKS.

No Caption Provided

Came here hoping for a new comic and I got one! I was two months late, but I'm glad I checked.

I love that he calls the waiter an idiot, like ordering a bowl full of forks is the most normal thing ever. Good touch with the fork in the fork on the fork in Dan's hand, by the way.

bhizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh man, just now seeing these. They're all great. Well done.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

These are great!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.