Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dan Ryckert

Person » credited in 4 games

Senior Editor at Giant Bomb from 2014 to 2020. Formerly of Game Informer. Author, Guinness World Record holder, lifelong wrestling mark, and failed musician. After a brief stint as Podcast Producer at WWE Ryckert returned to help guide the next generation of Giant Bomb.

Our hero has been robbed. :(

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By Levius

@splodge: @fobwashed: Yeah I get it. Maybe I was a little too extreme, I guess I'm a little out of step with people about this.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@Levius said:

@splodge: @fobwashed: Yeah I get it. Maybe I was a little too extreme, I guess I'm a little out of step with people about this.

Not at all, that's your opinion and that's fine :) In the past I have donate to local bands who have had all their gear stolen, and my own friends chipped in to buy me a proper computer when I was in college because I could not afford one. Sometimes people want to do something nice for other people where they can see a more immediate effect is all. It is jumping the gun though. Hopefully CBSi will help him out a bit

NoobSauceG7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 15

Damn that really sucks. Really unfortunate to happen, hope they catch the jerk.

RedHatDrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#54  Edited By RedHatDrew
    @i_stay_puft said:

Wait his iphone being stolen wouldn't the police be able to track down the perps location?

Potentially. That, or the pawn shop where they might have sold at least the iPhone.

Also, I'd be down to throw a couple of bucks into recouperating Dan's setup, if that's an option.

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 16

@splodge said:

@Levius said:

Not at all, that's your opinion and that's fine :) In the past I have donate to local bands who have had all their gear stolen, and my own friends chipped in to buy me a proper computer when I was in college because I could not afford one. Sometimes people want to do something nice for other people where they can see a more immediate effect is all. It is jumping the gun though. Hopefully CBSi will help him out a bit

It's really hard to convey tone on the internet. I'm not at all upset about your position and it's definitely a valid one. Just sayin, if I'm out and a buddy of mine forgot his wallet, I'll buy him his meal and not be thinking "there are people who need this more than him". That seems like it'd get real depressing real fast >,<

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

Man that sucks, sorry to hear that Dan. Some folks are real dicks. :(

Avatar image for giantlizardking
    GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By GiantLizardKing

@Levius said:

@splodge: Yeah, sure people can spend money on what they want. I guess I just wanted warn people that this might not be the best use of their money, not to get too morally relativistic about this, but there are people actively raising money for lifesaving medical care and thousands of charities who desperately need cash. But on the the other hand I can totally get why people would want to help such an entertaining guy out.

This is the weakest argument ever because under this logic you should never be spending any money on anything as long as their is somebody more needy out there. What business do you have owing a pc or a smart phone to write this comment with? There are people starving all over the world. You monster.

thegreatpaulio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I really hope that the laptop is the one that was given to him by CBS. That would at least minimize the loss of content stored on it. Plus, CBS would potentially replace it. Additionally, there's hope he can remotely wipe/disable the phone. Hopefully, he's able to minimize his loss of personal data.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Brightside, at least his favorite pogs are safe with Jeff?

This suck. Hopefully all his data is backed up. I know if I got robbed I'd be more concerned about the data than a couple thousand bucks in hardware. Also hope he has renter's insurance.

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
    alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Should I give him money?

Dan, do you want money?

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aw man, poor Dan. That sucks.

limond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

An earthquake and a robbery in one week. His California experience is complete!

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

Fucking greedy assholes. I hate thieves. Sorry to hear this.

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Shit man. I hope they catch those assholes.

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

As much as this sucks, I don't think this is the sort of thing that you should be spending your money for charity on. Donate to Red Cross or some other charity if you have the disposable income to do so.

jonc151

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I recall Jeff saying something about an electric fence.

Avatar image for giantlizardking
    GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As much as this sucks, I don't think this is the sort of thing that you should be spending your money for charity on. Donate to Red Cross or some other charity if you have the disposable income to do so.

Or also spend your money how you want.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

The worst part about being the victim of a burglary isn't so much losing stuff (although stuff like phones and computers can have incredibly sensitive data), it's losing that sense of security in your house. Where you live should feel safe and after something like this it's hard to get that sense of security, of safety, back.

I hope Dan'll be alright, and I hope the police catch whoever did it.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok, no one said they were going to just mail Dan money. They said that if it came down to it, and if it was needed, they would be interested in throwing him a measly few bucks because it would be a nice thing to do . Why give anything to anyone ever? Did you buy Christmas presents last year? Shame on you, the red cross needs that money.

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By htr10

This thread got so weird, so fast. I feel horrible for Dan. One, I hope he has some way of recouping his losses and two, I hope he can figure out how this person or persons got at all his stuff. He should at least have a way of preventing something like this in the future, especially when beyond a personal loss issue, it is a huge feeling safe issue.

ModernAlkemie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Condolences to Dan on the robbery. That invasion of your home can be really stressful and unsettling.

As someone who has been mugged before and had their phone stolen, this is also probably a good time to remind everyone to keep a written record of the serial numbers of any electronics you own. Identifying info like that can be really useful when reporting a robbery to the police, especially if the items get pawned.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Welcome to San Francisco...

I hope whatever you lost can be replaced. Especially video game saves and such.

EsDeib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some people fucking suck. :(

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

@james_hayward said:

This might not be wanted or appropriate (mods please delete if you think it isn't) but would the giant bomb community be up for fundraising for some replacement gear for Dan? I'd pitch in a few dollars and if a load of us did it he'd be back to full console strength in no time...

Even though it sucks that this happened I don't really like the idea of raising money for somebody who makes a considerable amount to buy new videogame consoles. That's my thoughts though.

Yeah I would rather see that people gave the money to charity then... but that's just my opinion. It sucks for Dan and I feel bad for him but raising money for him so he can buy new consoles that just doesn't sit right with me. Thousands of people get robbed every day, I have experienced it myself, and it's one of the most unpleasant experiences but those people don't get money from strangers when they get robbed. You get by then and do what you can and I'm certainly not rich but I would personally feel sketchy if I were a person of some internet fame that got money from strangers "just" because I got robbed. Hopefully Dan is insured.

The sceptic in me makes me fear that it might be a member of the site or someone familiar with the site that knew that Dan had just moved to San Francisco and somehow figured out where he lived, seeing as the perpetrator stole all his consoles and then his Iphone and laptop. So what I'm saying is it must be someone that knew that he would have those things because of his job so they targeted him specifically.

Murdoc_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah that's a bummer, but I guess he left his window open at night? Man, can't do that in SF, sorry dude.

XenoNick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Gutted to hear this happened to Dan. Karma will come around to the shitbag who did this.

cloudnineboya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

stone cold could not find dans cheap ass bear so stole whatever he could get his hands on.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

Damn man. My car gets broken into regularly but to come home to my systems gone would be devastating. Sorry Dan, stay strong brother.

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Levius

@Levius said:

@splodge: Yeah, sure people can spend money on what they want. I guess I just wanted warn people that this might not be the best use of their money, not to get too morally relativistic about this, but there are people actively raising money for lifesaving medical care and thousands of charities who desperately need cash. But on the the other hand I can totally get why people would want to help such an entertaining guy out.

This is the weakest argument ever because under this logic you should never be spending any money on anything as long as their is somebody more needy out there. What business do you have owing a pc or a smart phone to write this comment with? There are people starving all over the world. You monster.

I accept the argument is too extreme and too knee jerk. I guess my position is that, if I saw a friend about to make a bad purchase in my opinion, I would naturally say "hey man maybe you should think about this because of X", but they could do what they wanted after. I guess this another example of the internet being a pretty terrible form of communication sometimes.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By splodge

Well it looks like someone (not me), rather than arguing whether or not it is right to help someone else in a time of need, has set up a page to help Dan:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/help-dan-ryckert-repurchase-his-stolen-goods

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Shindig

What's worrying is that its a lot of stuff to go in one swoop. Hopefully your insurance will cover most of it.

As for the Dan fund. Naw, we gotta catch these fools. First we can start by verifying Jose Conseco's whereabouts.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Alright internet, lets pool our resources together and find the asshole that did this!

Rotnac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

It's really unfortunate for such a shitty thing to happen to a cool guy like Dan. The whole losing a bunch of stuff sucks but it's like personally feeling violated when some dbag comes into your home and steals your personal belongings.

Hopefully they catch these fucks and can get some of his stuff back. If not, at least we got some awesome people helping the guy out.

Dan, it's time to invest in a pocket knife!

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Welcome to California - We All Hate You!"

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#87  Edited By MocBucket62

Sorry Dan about having your items stolen. That really sucks immensely. Hoepfully you and the authorities can find the dirtbag who stole all your stuff!

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

There's only two real suspects here. John Drake or Jose Canseco. The police should look into them.

Joking aside, this sucks for Dan.

groposo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By groposo

That's pretty shity. I feel for you man. But at least they can't rob you of your love forwrestling.

frymillstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By frymillstrum

One of my biggest fears is losing data such as notes, memos, passwords/files and photos/memories via hardware malfunction, house fire or theft. As others (and Dan) have said, hardware is replaceable, information and memories are not. This is a really sucky thing to happen to someone.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow this sucks, Dan is such an incredibly nice guy. If everybody throws $10 towards that fundraiser thing he'll be back to normal!

It's flyin! Nearly 500 bucks right now.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

The worst thing about this isn't even the stolen property its how unsafe and uncomfortable something like this makes you feel. I'm glad your safe Dan and I hope you can keep your spirits up. It absolutely sucks that this happened.

sravankb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just donated. Love what the dude has done for the website.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Think it's time to invest in that camera thing that Jeff has... Unless they steal your iphone, laptop and camera then you're kinda boned. Actually, forget I mentioned it in the first place.

konig_kei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's a ton of shit to lose, they must have known what they were after if they actually took the Wii U.

white

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How does shit like this happen? Did the thieves just smash his door in with a battling ram or something?

papercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

God damn, that sucks. I live in the same neighborhood as Dan and I can't believe he got robbed. It's not that it's a "good" neighborhood, but it's so quiet I'd never expect it. If I see him at PAX I'll make sure to buy him a beer or give him a massive gift card to TacoBell.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@white said:

How does shit like this happen? Did the thieves just smash his door in with a battling ram or something?

He lives on the third floor, and it sounds like his sitting room window may have been left on the latch. Guy must have had a ladder.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Wow, that's a shit sandwich.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.