Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dan Ryckert

Person » credited in 4 games

Senior Editor at Giant Bomb from 2014 to 2020. Formerly of Game Informer. Author, Guinness World Record holder, lifelong wrestling mark, and failed musician. After a brief stint as Podcast Producer at WWE Ryckert returned to help guide the next generation of Giant Bomb.

Our hero has been robbed. :(

bboymaestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

He's able to laugh through all of this, and that's insanely good on him.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#202  Edited By RVonE

FFS what is wrong with doing something nice for someone else?

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

@rvone said:

Greetings, you appear to be new to the intarwebs! :P

Demokk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rvone said:

It is a weird grey area that we won't get any closer to solving in this discussion. However, I do get why some people are not supportive of it. Regardless of the actual amount of money involved, the idea of privileged people giving resources to even more privileged people with such enthusiasm while being indifferent towards so many other worse things that happen on a daily basis is kind of bittersweet.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@demokk said:

@rvone said:

It is a weird grey area that we won't get any closer to solving in this discussion. However, I do get why some people are not supportive of it. Regardless of the actual amount of money involved, the idea of privileged people giving resources to even more privileged people with such enthusiasm while being indifferent towards so many other worse things that happen on a daily basis is kind of bittersweet.

Privileged? I am fucking un-employed. I Still threw this guy ten bucks because of this shitty thing that happened to him. That does not prevent me from giving money to other charities. How do you know people are being indifferent? Are you watching us all on a camera or something?

MaxxS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@demokk said:

@rvone said:

He said he'll give the money to Child's Play if he doesn't need it.

Demokk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@splodge said:

@demokk said:

@rvone said:

Privileged? I am fucking un-employed. I Still threw this guy ten bucks because of this shitty thing that happened to him. That does not prevent me from giving money to other charities. How do you know people are being indifferent? Are you watching us all on a camera or something?

Based on pure statistics, if you have access to the internet, have food, a roof over your head and a bed to sleep in, you are considered privileged. We all are.

I didn't claim everyone was, I just presented you with a very quick simplification of the situation based on the general reaction on this forum and overall western culture.

metalhammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly. I can't see anything to get worked up about with this. If people want to donate then what a terrific gesture, irrespective of the consequences.

As for people being more deserving, leave it up to those people to determine that.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@demokk Thanks for your assistance.

blacklab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, that's shitty.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@demokk said:

@rvone said:

I doubt Dan is "even more privileged" than I am and it's not really relevant to anything. The wonderful thing about life is that you can determine you give money to and why. I do set aside a certain amount of my hard earned income for other people to determine who gets to have it and why, though -- it's called taxes.

It's great, because it means that those who find chipping in a few bucks to someone to be undesirable for any given reason don't have to. They can go fund political propaganda kickstarters or free water straws for kids in the third world (and, after all, who is more deserving of your money? a kid in some place where he can't even get clean disease-free water to drink or some icky privileged bum in America reveling in all his privilege?!) :P

Also, "privilege" is just a euphemism for "you should feel guilty". Fuck that.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212  Edited By mellotronrules

i understand your perspective, and it's admirable to try and represent the underprivileged- but i think you'll find an ideological stance that pure and unrelenting will be impossible to maintain. i mean- based on your avatar, you're a subscriber- why didn't you feed the starving with that excess money?

also- you might want to choose your battles with a higher degree of scrutiny- drawing attention to the excess of western wealth is fine. but in a thread where a dude just got all his shit jacked? poor taste, and almost definitely inappropriate. not to mention the message will probably fall on unreceptive ears.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@demokk said:

@rvone said:

Kindness is not a zero-sum proposition.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rvone said:

Thank you sir, those were the words I was looking for but could not think of.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rvone said:

@demokk said:

@rvone said:

Agreed... but... technically money is, I suppose.

extintor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#216  Edited By extintor
    @demokk said:

.... the idea of privileged people giving resources to even more privileged people with such enthusiasm while being indifferent towards so many other worse things that happen on a daily basis is kind of bittersweet.

No. False equivalency.

Tirion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#217  Edited By Tirion

@demokk said:

Regardless of the actual amount of money involved, the idea of privileged people giving resources to even more privileged people with such enthusiasm while being indifferent towards so many other worse things that happen on a daily basis is kind of bittersweet.

With that perspective it's kind of bittersweet whenever "privileged people" spends any money on things that isn't necessary in order to survive when people around the world are dying because they lack food, shelter etcetera. I'm drinking Pepsi Max (which isn't even giving me any energy right now, how stupid is that?) but I could have chipped in that money for this instead.

Jertje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dan is an awesome guy. Helping out no questions asked. I'd probably do the same for any duder on here in need. Besides, Child's Play is a good back-up cause.

Stop putting kindness in perspective to greater or lesser kindness.

Tirion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nobody can steal Dan Ryckerts wrestling experience!

Loading Video...

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its a work. All set up for a Wii U on a pole match at WrE3stlemania.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#221 FinalDasa  Moderator

Dan's humor through all this is admirable. Hope everything gets back to him or replaced soon. Someone that positive doesn't deserve this.

DoctorTran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Karma for pissing on his Dad's DVDs/Games? Nahhh.

That does really suck though. If I had any spare money I would donate but, alas, broke as a joke.

bemusedchunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

aero-plane.

Avatar image for do_the_manta_ray
    Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dan WAS saying something about Karma earlier today..

I'd just like to add my voice to the masses here and say I really feel for Dan. Something similar happened to one my own friends lately, everything he owned of value was more or less ripped from his apartment whilst he was visiting me of all things. I imagine it a terrible thing to have your home, your safe haven so to speak, violated and made to feel unsafe. Not to mention losing a bunch of shit you're genuinely attached to.

It's great to see him being able to laugh about it, however, really hope they nail whoever did this, though I very much doubt it.

DoubleSpy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

His promo is cut better then CM Punks! He must be a winner!

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I got my house broken into almost 3 years ago. Busted in my back door in the middle of the day and stole game systems, computers, tv's. Pretty much anything they thought they could sell for a quick buck. It sucked, but getting back my stuff was the easiest part(thanks to insurance!). The sense of security that you lose is the worst part. I didn't feel safe again in my house for a few months. Hopefully all goes well for Dan!

PimblyCharles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hopefully the police can track local pawn shops to see if any of his items have been sold there. I think there's like a 30 days rule for them not to resell it in case it's stolen.

DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Having my car stolen once, its fucking heartbreaking. Damn, Dan, that fucking blows. At least in a sense its all replaceable stuff like consoles, phones and not say your social security card.

Snakenbake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Has anybody in here heard about that dollar bill contest taco bell is doing? Apparently you can win a 'lifetime supply' (10 grand) of taco bell if you find a dollar bill with the right serial number on it. I don't know how we'd all go about organizing something like this, but wouldn't it be awesome if members of the community were able to find one of these and give it to Dan? Wouldn't exactly replace his stolen stuff or sense of security, but hey, I think it'd be pretty awesome to see Dan win something like that

tandar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really sorry to hear about your place getting broken into Dan.... I hope you continue being yourself around the site and the people who can pitch in to help are able to!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.