Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dan Ryckert

Person » credited in 4 games

Senior Editor at Giant Bomb from 2014 to 2020. Formerly of Game Informer. Author, Guinness World Record holder, lifelong wrestling mark, and failed musician. After a brief stint as Podcast Producer at WWE Ryckert returned to help guide the next generation of Giant Bomb.

Will it Ryckert?

Thordreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Thordreen

I would like to suggest a new show or show segment devoted to things Dan may or may not like.

The show could:

1. Take in community suggestions each week or monthly
    2. Build a list from community suggestions.
    3. Let Dan veto one item each show.
    4. Recording his reactions remaining list of items.

The suggestions could be anything, books, games, movies, tv, food etc.. but nothing off color or gross as it still needs to be something recordable for a show. Honestly I just think it will be funnier if its everyday items.

My 1st suggestion would be: The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension
    Mainly because its an 80s action movie with a strange metal gear like plot. Its no Cobra, but what is.

Its a win win Dan becomes a more well rounded individual and we get high quality Giant Bomb entertainment.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I like Dan, but watching someone actually be proud of their ignorance annoys me. That whole "I already know what I like so why try anything new" attitude kind of drives me crazy so I'd probably avoid a feature like this.

Avatar image for thunderstorm101
    thunderstorm101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like Dan, but watching someone actually be proud of their ignorance annoys me. That whole "I already know what I like so why try anything new" attitude kind of drives me crazy so I'd probably avoid a feature like this.

Yeah but Dan does it with such a genuine bewildered grace that it becomes endearing instead of obnoxious imo.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By toowalrus

@toowalrus said:

Yeah but Dan does it with such a genuine bewildered grace that it becomes endearing instead of obnoxious imo.

I disagree, I can only take so much "This is a hippie-dippie thing for fancy people and I'm a cool guy so I have to hate this."

Basm321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Basm321

The is something we all need.

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By NegativeCero

I think this would get old really quick. I prefer the natural, almost out of nowhere ways his lack of experiences get brought up.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This would be great !

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

What's wrong with being comfortable with stuff that makes you happy?

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

@toowalrus said:

Comfort is the antithesis of growth. In my personal life I avoid over-indulgence in comfort. However, I don't get why people are all over Dan for his choices. Let the man wallow in Taco Bell, he seems happy enough.

indus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By indus

@lukeweizer: I think I he can get grating over time when the person who believes that stuff makes statements in absolutes. For instance, 'There is no food better than (Hot Dogs, Mac and Cheese, Taco Bell) and there isn't anything wrong with my taste,' instead of 'Personally, I think (insert food) is the best food but I could be wrong.' Jeff has been doing this for much longer than Dan but I kinda think its become an issue because he is less repentant and more in your face with his opinions.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@toowalrus said:

Because it shouldn't make you happy to not know which continents were involved in WWII.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

I dunno, he started using a sous vide, he's gonna try to watch a bunch of anime, he played and reviewed a Warriors game and gave it a fair score. Honestly the whole proud ignorance thing seems more like a bit he's playing than an actual personality trait. Yeah, he's got the stuff he likes and the stuff he irrationally doesn't like (mayo) but the same can be said for everyone. I have a massive aversion to eggplant and mollusks and I don't know why. I've even eaten them and moderately enjoyed them but the thought still grosses me out because weird brain stuff. All-in-all, he seems to be pretty open to trying new things and isn't afraid to admit when he's wrong.

ChrisTaran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

@turambar: That could not be a more trivial piece of information. And why just WW2? Shouldn't it be every war ever? Where does it end.

People can't know everything, at some point you have to pick things you care about and things you don't.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By nightriff

I want to see Dan as a father.

After there conversation on the bombcast I would be worried that he would just get bored with the poor thing though.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Turambar

@turambar: That could not be a more trivial piece of information. And why just WW2? Shouldn't it be every war ever? Where does it end.

People can't know everything, at some point you have to pick things you care about and things you don't.

The general geographical locations of the giant theaters of combat in the biggest war the human race has ever known is not trivial.

Why WWII? Because that is one of the few wars the entire human race had a stake in. A German can be forgiven for not knowing general information about the War of 1812 just as an Argentinian may be forgiven for not knowing general information about the Opium wars, but WWII is an entirely different beast.

It is also the one that Dan has infamously displayed rather absurd ignorance of on camera, so it serves as a pretty good example.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

@indus said:

@lukeweizer: I think I can get grating over time when the person who believes that stuff makes statements in absolutes. For instance, 'There is no food better than (Hot Dogs, Mac and Cheese, Taco Bell) and there isn't anything wrong with my taste,' instead of 'Personally, I think (insert food) is the best food but I could be wrong.' Jeff has been doing this for much longer than Dan but I kinda think its become an issue because he is less repentant and more in your face with his opinions.

He's a persona. He's playing it up. It's not that he doesn't actually hold those opinions, but why would he end everything with, "...but that's just, like, my opinion."

Of course it's his opinion. He's the one saying it. That it isn't an objective fact is implicit in him saying it.

On top of that, in Dan Ryckert's world, he thinks those are the best foods and who are we to say otherwise? The dude eats actual food and does yoga. He goes out with friends and goes on dates and knows his limits (eg. he isn't responsible enough for a pet so he doesn't have any). He's a functional person with opinions, and because he's a personality, he plays it up for the audience.

Thordreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@negativecero: I agree if the group's heart isn't in it, it would get old. I would suggest they stop any show they're heart isn't in. Having said that I do think it there is enough material there for a several months of shows.

Also the show suggestion wasn't a dig at Dan. Anyone that skydives and goes to oakland for illegal wrestling shows isn't looking for comfort only options. I just enjoy his stance on new things as a goof, perhaps I'm in the minority. Alex, Jeff and Dan have clearly grown up on the theatrics of wwe and it's fun to watch them bring that into GB's shows.

Saik0u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Saik0u

The lists or opinions Dan ends up with could have to be explained and defended in a conversation with the other guys. I think that would be interesting, as i liked hearing his reasons for why terminator 3 was better than 1. Film a short mail bag-style conversation on the couch, or have a weekly segment on UPF :)

ninjalegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

This.

You can be funny and quirky or whatnot. Do not hitch your wagon to ignorance. Hate, bigotry, intolerance, racism, and other qualities a sane rational person would otherwise avoid are birthed from a celebration of one's ignorance. It is only funny because when the kind are ignorant, it is mostly benign. When the aggressive are ignorant, it is volatile and putrid. And when people in power are ignorant, it is downright scary. Dan seems to be the kind sort of ignorant. I think the humor will only work when the ignorance is from a situation that comes up naturally and is not forced. And if this last Bombcast is any indication, I would rather hear his twisted ideas and crazy drunken stories that come up in everyday conversation verses having some method for extraction. that could be construed as a celebration of ignorance.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#21 FinalDasa  Moderator

Just a reminder that this thread isn't a discussion about Dan but instead about a show where Dan could experience and try new things out.

Remember to respect the staff and other users.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.