Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dance Central 2

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Oct 25, 2011

Harmonix returns to the dance floor with new features, characters, moves, and songs in this sequel to the first Dance Central on Kinect.

Just Dance 2 Advert Displays Microsoft Desperation

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Contro

Lawl, Microsoft must be pretty desperate to feel the need to take pop shots at Nintendo Wii's Just Dance, in their new Dance Central 2 advert:

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By ryanwho

Spend 150 dollars, play one game!

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

Best part is no one is gonna look like that when you play. And having that many people wile playing Kinect would most likely freak the thing out. 

knetic2341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By knetic2341

Oh yes, how terrible. It's just kinda the way it is. You do need that full body movement for Kinect.

Desperate? Hardly.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ryanwho

@Knetic2341 said:

Oh yes, how terrible. It's just kinda the way it is. You do need that full body movement for Kinect.

Desperate? Hardly.

Do you also need the porkpie hat and 10 years of professional dance experience? Sounds hardcore bro.

On the other hand, and maybe Im being a little cynical here. Maybe you can hire pro dancers and put them in front of any movement game and create a false impression that, idunno, your movements are directly reflected in the models in the game(which they're not)? No. I don't believe it. Because that would be dishonest. That would be like hiring an overzealous actor to show off a Star Wars kinect game who actually just motioning to prerendered video. And selling that as the power of Kinect. But that would never happen either. Cus Kinect is really just that intuitive.

Avatar image for deathstriker666
    deathstriker666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By deathstriker666

Both games are dumb

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Contro

@Knetic2341 said:

Desperate? Hardly.

If it's not desperate, why do you think above anything else, they choose to show a guy making Rigamortis-like movements with a Wii Remote in his hand?.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#8  Edited By Hizang

It just looks like an advert for the game if you ask me.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ryanwho

@Hizang said:

From the mid 90s, I agree.

Look Sonic so fast! Mario so slow *wok wook*

It really worked out with Blur to take this angle. That game sold gangbusters and the developer totally still exists. Totally didn't have the opposite of the intended effect.

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By tunaburn

desperation? umm... its just an advertisement. is it desperation when mcdonalds says their big macs are better than the whopper? no. microsoft is doing well. the simple truth is if you want dancing games the kinect is better than the wii since it does see your whole body. which is the point of the commercial. jesus people love to hate.

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Contro

@ryanwho said:

@Hizang said:

From the mid 90s, I agree.

Look Sonic so fast! Mario so slow *wok wook*

That's the thing, if there's absolutely anything to gripe about, it's a return to this stance in advertising. I personally find this this kind of thing sad yet amusing to see in this generation.

There is of course a reason for this aggressive stance, Microsoft wouldn't have green lighted an advert of this kind without good reason. That reason is, Just Dance sells a fucking shit load across the globe, and Microsoft want a large slice of that audience, especially after their heavy investment in the Kinect.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By TheHT

Yup. I also hate the studio sized rooms they play kinect games in that's supposed to just be someone's living room. Fuck, are these people breaking dancing while they watch TV?

knetic2341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By knetic2341

@Contro said:

@Knetic2341 said:

Desperate? Hardly.

If it's not desperate, why do you think above anything else, they choose to show a guy making Rigamortis-like movements with a Wii Remote in his hand?.

I'm just saying that whenever I imagine someone playing Just Dance, that is what I see. A way to cheat the system. If you just want to move your arm in the right direction, then that's how you can play it.

knetic2341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By knetic2341

@ryanwho said:

@Knetic2341 said:

Desperate? Hardly.

Do you also need the porkpie hat and 10 years of professional dance experience? Sounds hardcore bro.

On the other hand, and maybe Im being a little cynical here. Maybe you can hire pro dancers and put them in front of any movement game and create a false impression that, idunno, your movements are directly reflected in the models in the game(which they're not)? No. I don't believe it. Because that would be dishonest. That would be like hiring an overzealous actor to show off a Star Wars kinect game who actually just motioning to prerendered video. And selling that as the power of Kinect. But that would never happen either. Cus Kinect is really just that intuitive.

Not at all. I just feel with Kinect, and especially with a game like Dance Central, there is more effort put into the dance. This is still an advertisement, of course you wouldn't put some dumb ass who doesn't know shit about dancing to advertise it.

Mb246

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Mb246

@deathstriker666 said:

Both games are dumb

Your face is dumb.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By ajamafalous

At least he's wearing the safety strap.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By JJOR64

TAKE THAT NINTENDO

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By mazik765

@The_Laughing_Man said:

Best part is no one is gonna look like that when you play. And having that many people wile playing Kinect would most likely freak the thing out.

To be fair, my girlfriend has been going through and five starring the songs on hard and she kinda is dancing like that...they get pretty fucking complex.

ModernAlkemie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ModernAlkemie

Also, the ad shows people with Kinect are obviously way more popular.

nohthink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By nohthink

Hey!! Look!! They moved the coffee tables!! Too bad I don't have enough space to move my coffee table due to my small ass apartment!! Gosh, darn it!!

mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By mylifeforAiur

Genesis does what Nintendon't. You do the math.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By Red12b

@TheHT said:

Yup. I also hate the studio sized rooms they play kinect games in that's supposed to just be someone's living room. Fuck, are these people breaking dancing while they watch TV?

breaking dancing?

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Red12b said:

@TheHT said:

breaking dancing?

In Russia Dancing Breaks you.
    Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#25  Edited By Slaker117

To be fair, dancing games on the Wii are pretty stupid. The Kinect is far from prefect, but at least the core concept of a dancing game makes much more sense there.

mutley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By mutley

Lol were they dancing outside at one point?

And with that many people in the background, the kinect might explode.

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Contro

@ryanwho said:

Spend 150 dollars, play one game!

The funniest thing for me, is I myself will eventually feel like I'm that. As a Sega Saturn and Panzer Dragoon fan, I have to get Kinect for Project Draco. (see below)

Drats!

I've got Child of Eden which has support for it.. I find the game with a controller relaxing, so I'm curious to see if it's the same without one.

Gamasutra:

Grounding Inc. has announced it will be using Epic's Unreal Engine 3 for its upcoming Kinect-powered, dragon-based action game, tentatively titled "Project Draco."

First shown at least year's Tokyo Game Show, "Draco" is the product of a team that includes members of Sega's Panzer Dragoon-making Team Andromeda.

"Because this is Grounding's first high-definition game, we looked at many technology options and picked Unreal Engine 3 as the best solution," Grounding director and Panzer Dragoon creator Yukio Futatsugi said in a statement.

"While our team size is only 15 people and we had merely one year from the start of the project, the productive tools and efficient processes of Unreal Engine 3 meant we could come up with a high-quality playable demo in a very short time," he continued.

bunnymud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By bunnymud

Didn't Ryan say he got 3 stars in the new Just Dance game by sitting on the couch and waving his arms around? So yes, in a bit extreme way the commercial is right.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.