Dance Central DLC Priced Higher Than Rock Band DLC

Posted by MattBodega (1904 posts) -

When Harmonix's Dance Central launches alongside Microsoft's Kinect hardware this November, expect to see a Rock Band-style music store where you'll be able to download additional tunes and moves for the game. You should also expect those additional routines to cost more than a five-instrument Rock Band track. In an interview with Joystiq, Dance Central Project Lead Kasson Crooker revealed that DLC for Dance Central will cost more than $2, the current going rate for individual Rock Band tracks. 

How much would you pay for newer, flyer moves? 

== TEASER ==According to Crooker, the increased DLC price is not simply Harmonix trying to goose consumers for extra cash, but rather the result of the increased cost and challenge of generating additional Dance Central content. Crooker explains:

"Because [Dance Central DLC] comes with a brand new unique routine with the three difficulties, we have to: engage the choreographer, find the song, license the song, come up with a routine, get them into a [motion capture] suit, shoot all the choreography, integrate the animation, build the filter system, the flash cards, the [voiceover] for 'Break it Down' -- it's a pretty elaborate process that is not only a lot more expensive, but a lot more time consuming."

While I imagine it's easy to read a story about a developer increasing the cost of their DLC and subsequently freak out about the price, Crooker's point doesn't sound like a cause for consumer alarm to me. After all, I can't imagine how costly it must be to generate brand new animation in a very short period of time, let alone hire and mo-cap a choreographer.   

Also, Dance Central DLC may be able to justify its higher price if it addresses the problem that Rock Band wasn't able to overcome; that the gameplay in the series has remained unchanged. No matter what DLC goes into Rock Band, you're still strumming notes as they come down the note lane. But if each new Dance Central track comes with brand new dance routines to master, that has the potential to make each new piece of DLC wildly different from each other. The new gameplay in each track might make DLC a more compelling purchase than Rock Band DLC, simply because you'll probably play each new track differently. We'll see how it all plays out when Dance Central launches on November 4.
#1 Posted by MattBodega (1904 posts) -

When Harmonix's Dance Central launches alongside Microsoft's Kinect hardware this November, expect to see a Rock Band-style music store where you'll be able to download additional tunes and moves for the game. You should also expect those additional routines to cost more than a five-instrument Rock Band track. In an interview with Joystiq, Dance Central Project Lead Kasson Crooker revealed that DLC for Dance Central will cost more than $2, the current going rate for individual Rock Band tracks. 

How much would you pay for newer, flyer moves? 

== TEASER ==According to Crooker, the increased DLC price is not simply Harmonix trying to goose consumers for extra cash, but rather the result of the increased cost and challenge of generating additional Dance Central content. Crooker explains:

"Because [Dance Central DLC] comes with a brand new unique routine with the three difficulties, we have to: engage the choreographer, find the song, license the song, come up with a routine, get them into a [motion capture] suit, shoot all the choreography, integrate the animation, build the filter system, the flash cards, the [voiceover] for 'Break it Down' -- it's a pretty elaborate process that is not only a lot more expensive, but a lot more time consuming."

While I imagine it's easy to read a story about a developer increasing the cost of their DLC and subsequently freak out about the price, Crooker's point doesn't sound like a cause for consumer alarm to me. After all, I can't imagine how costly it must be to generate brand new animation in a very short period of time, let alone hire and mo-cap a choreographer.   

Also, Dance Central DLC may be able to justify its higher price if it addresses the problem that Rock Band wasn't able to overcome; that the gameplay in the series has remained unchanged. No matter what DLC goes into Rock Band, you're still strumming notes as they come down the note lane. But if each new Dance Central track comes with brand new dance routines to master, that has the potential to make each new piece of DLC wildly different from each other. The new gameplay in each track might make DLC a more compelling purchase than Rock Band DLC, simply because you'll probably play each new track differently. We'll see how it all plays out when Dance Central launches on November 4.
#2 Posted by ZmillA (2271 posts) -
@Diyashi said:
" hmm "

now tell us how you really feel
#3 Posted by TheCreamFilling (1225 posts) -

I guess that makes sense.

#4 Posted by EpicSteve (6487 posts) -

Despite the justification of the price, I still don't see myself spending more than $2.00 per song and routine. Even in RockBand I thought $2.00 was a bit much.

#5 Posted by Shady (503 posts) -

That DLC comparison is rather poor. In fact, that makes it sound like they are the exact same thing since at the end of the day you're still limited to just mimicking the moves the games tells you to. The gameplay isn't going to radically change with any of the DLC.

#6 Posted by Cubic (171 posts) -

As long as the DLC includes the Leak Song and a wholly accurate dance routine, I'll pay whatever they want.  

#7 Posted by Red (5995 posts) -

If you were talking about before Rock Band 3, I guess I would kind of understand. Instead of mapping green and blue chords, they have to map different gestures specific to the song. 

But now that Rock Band 3's coming out, a game that has to map around 36 different pathways for a song (including all difficulties, instruments and pro modes) and is probably going to still cost two bucks a song, this is a little less welcome.

#8 Posted by TripMasterMunky (2403 posts) -

"After all, I can't imagine how costly it must be to generate brand new animation in a very short period of time, let alone higher and mo-cap a choreographer. "

Something ain't right here.

#9 Posted by samsaturday (91 posts) -

Hey, another reason to not buy this game!

#10 Posted by DizzyMedal (399 posts) -

@filthreaper:
A noble stance, but I'm afraid you may be disappointed.

#11 Posted by JJOR64 (18989 posts) -

:(

#12 Edited by 234r2we232 (3181 posts) -

Well, there goes Dance Central Network - motion capture is still as expensive as ever, it seems. This looks to be the most promising of all the Kinect title announced and if I were more of the dancing type, I would so pick this up, but alas. *cuddles his plastic instruments*

@Diyashi

said:

" hmm "

Thanks for the insight. Hope the points were worth it, bro.
#13 Edited by Brodehouse (9949 posts) -

I appreciate that the game will come with new moves, which would really be the draw... but considering they've already licensed songs for Rock Band(s), exactly how much is it going to cost to put it in Dance Central?  Do you have to pay No Doubt twice to put Hella Good in Dance Central and Rock Band?  Then MTV/Harmonix needs to start working out better deals.

Furthermore, do we care that much about licensed songs?  At a certain point, I'm just going to want the game to give me new moves to dance to a beat.  You're telling me you can't generate some dance music in-house at Harmonix of all places?

#14 Posted by Landon (4143 posts) -

Well...that makes this  instantly less appealing.

#15 Posted by Ragdrazi (2283 posts) -

Well, this is a shocker. Bleed us dry mentality keeps on a'rollin'.

#16 Posted by Teirdome (262 posts) -

They better have really good previews in the DLC store.  I see a lot fewer people impulse buying at a price point unless there is adequate justification.

#17 Posted by jos1ah (325 posts) -

After reading the explanation by "Crooker" it makes a little more sense. However, I'd like to see house music or made up tracks in there too. Eff royalty/licensing issues...I'm not that into the majority of pop music, but wanna dance and learn moves, coordination, etc.
#18 Posted by NunsandRoses (21 posts) -
@Brodehouse said:
" I appreciate that the game will come with new moves, which would really be the draw... but considering they've already licensed songs for Rock Band(s), exactly how much is it going to cost to put it in Dance Central?  Do you have to pay No Doubt twice to put Hella Good in Dance Central and Rock Band?  Then MTV/Harmonix needs to start working out better deals. "
Yes, they do have to pay twice. There's a reason exporting songs from RB1 to RB2  (and Lego: RB to RB2, GD:RB to RB2, GHWT to GH5, etc. etc.) cost money; all the songs had to be relicensed for the new game. That's how it works for every rhythm game, and that's not really a matter of Harmonix/MTV working out better deals, it's just how the record labels seem to be doing it.
#19 Posted by MisterMouse (3553 posts) -

not really surprised, I feel like they have to do more with this DLC than Rockband DLC

#20 Posted by Brodehouse (9949 posts) -
@jos1ah said:
"  However, I'd like to see house music or made up tracks in there too. Eff royalty/licensing issues...I'm not that into the majority of pop music, but wanna dance and learn moves, coordination, etc. "
That's how I feel.  I realized after buying a Pearl Jam album on Rock Band 2 that it's not the music I like in Rock Band, it's the actual gameplay.  I probably had more fun with the tracks I'd never heard of before than I did Ten, which I love.

I bought a Rush album I don't even like just because I knew it would be killer on drums.
#21 Posted by ShinAli (96 posts) -
@Red said:
"But now that Rock Band 3's coming out, a game that has to map around 36 different pathways for a song (including all difficulties, instruments and pro modes) and is probably going to still cost two bucks a song, this is a little less welcome. "
Yes because putting in the song's tabulature is just so much more difficult!

Even with the pro modes, it's only probably pennies more to do for each track.
#22 Posted by skrutop (3615 posts) -

I already have Thriller down, so I don't need the mocap.  Can they release that for free?

#23 Edited by GreggD (4505 posts) -
@Brodehouse said:

" @jos1ah said:

"  However, I'd like to see house music or made up tracks in there too. Eff royalty/licensing issues...I'm not that into the majority of pop music, but wanna dance and learn moves, coordination, etc. "
That's how I feel.  I realized after buying a Pearl Jam album on Rock Band 2 that it's not the music I like in Rock Band, it's the actual gameplay.  I probably had more fun with the tracks I'd never heard of before than I did Ten, which I love.  I bought a Rush album I don't even like just because I knew it would be killer on drums. "
Ten is pretty slow and plodding, which I echoed in a Gamespot article when they announced it for download. Needless to say, I was downvoted by about 100 or so people, as mine was the first comment.
#24 Edited by ProfessorEss (7362 posts) -
@Red said:

But now that Rock Band 3's coming out, a game that has to map around 36 different pathways for a song (including all difficulties, instruments and pro modes) and is probably going to still cost two bucks a song, this is a little less welcome. "

Perhaps we're in for a surprise on the RockBand 3 front as well.
#25 Posted by Blueblur1 (344 posts) -

As a potential Dance Central buyer, this news disappoints me. Boo, HMX!

#26 Posted by granderojo (1788 posts) -

I'm fine with paying for good content, let's hope they offer good content.    

#27 Posted by CoolDrMoney (1978 posts) -

I totally uploaded the image used for this story's thumbnail. Thank you, thank you.

#28 Posted by Toxin066 (3287 posts) -

Who needs DLC? Lady Gaga is already on disc.

#29 Posted by dirtyword (9 posts) -

There's no way to read the second half of this article in the iPhone app I bought from you!    

#30 Posted by Zereta (1366 posts) -

Seems like a justified reason to pay more.

#31 Posted by CowsWithGuns (216 posts) -

Makes sense but i wonder how many people will look at the price and not care to think further and just not buy dlc or the initial game at all.

#32 Posted by zonerover (584 posts) -

This seems fair since dance routines are probably harder to put together than instrument tracks.

#33 Posted by CharlesAlanRatliff (5424 posts) -

Fine with me! If the game is as good as I am hoping, I will have no issue with buying DLC from them.

#34 Posted by MaddProdigy (1041 posts) -

This game looks pretty stupid. Why in the world would I want to learn these ridiculous video game dance routines? If I could learn some actual say, break dancing, maybe sign me up. But paying to wave your arms at your TV, then paying even more money to wave them in different ways? Kinect launch is fail if this is their flagship title. I haven't really looked into that game, or seen any gameplay except for what Ryan was doing in the E3 vid and....wow who in the world would embarrass themselves by wasting money on this.

#35 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

Heck, I think $2 is way too much as it is.

#36 Posted by Nettacki (1317 posts) -
@MaddProdigy said:
" This game looks pretty stupid. Why in the world would I want to learn these ridiculous video game dance routines? If I could learn some actual say, break dancing, maybe sign me up. But paying to wave your arms at your TV, then paying even more money to wave them in different ways? Kinect launch is fail if this is their flagship title. I haven't really looked into that game, or seen any gameplay except for what Ryan was doing in the E3 vid and....wow who in the world would embarrass themselves by wasting money on this. "

You'd be surprised... Plus, this IS Harmonix. They're likely to turn any music game idea into a good one.
#37 Posted by ZanzibarBreeze (3071 posts) -

No comment on a song list, huh. Only six have been announced. Maybe this game will just revolve around Poker Face and Hella Good. Rock Band 2's set list reached something like 70. Any hope of this game being as high, or maybe just the low thirties to start with?

#38 Edited by JustinSane311 (335 posts) -

No thanks...$2 was the magic price for me...remember the backlash Guitar Hero received   when they were about $3 a song

#39 Posted by TonicBH (271 posts) -

Maybe this'll only mean a slight increase, like from 160 to 200 or something. Although I trust Harmonix to have a hefty song and dance list with enough hits, so yeah.

#40 Posted by druid42 (17 posts) -

I'm surprised that Harmonix is going this route.  It would seem to me that they'd have figured out that raising the price of DLC doesn't necessarily equate more revenue.  I'd think the $2 price point would be spot on and that more people would buy it at that price than a higher price, probably meaning that more money would be brought in overall.

#41 Posted by Opuelas (43 posts) -
@Ragdrazi said:
" Well, this is a shocker. Bleed us dry mentality keeps on a'rollin'. "
It's not a shocker though, that the ignorant consumer mentality keeps on a'rollin'.
#42 Posted by GozerTC (457 posts) -

This is about the ONLY game I'm interested in on "Kinect" or whatever they want to call it.  That's not saying much since I'm not too ready to buy one at all so.  :p

Still IF and that's a big if, IF they do increase the dance moves and such with the downloads I'd be interested.  Also I would like a song list on disc that's worth the initial cost. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.