More Body Rocking With Dance Central

• 68 results
Posted by Ryan (1263 posts) -

I don't think it's much of a stretch to say that, of all the games we've seen for ourselves for Microsoft's upcoming Kinect hardware for ourselves, Harmonix's Dance Central is the closest thing that the Xbox 360 motion controller has for a killer app. For me personally, it was the game from E3 2010 that I walked away from the show wanting to play more of right then and there, so I was more than happy to break out my patented white-boy moves when the DC posse rolled through town recently with a fresh build of the game.

I'll admit, after rocking Lady Gaga's "Poker Face" on easy at E3, I walked into this demo with a little too much confidence. This inspired me to skip a few difficulty levels and dive straight into Salt-N-Pepa's "Push It," and for my hubris I was very brutally rebuffed by a choreographed dance assault that I simply could not keep up with. Conveniently, this served as a great opportunity for me to test out Dance Central's Break It Down mode, a sort of built-in tutorial system that will allow you to practice the individual moves in a given routine one at a time before having them all strung together. 

I found that part of the learning curve in Dance Central, particularly on the higher-tempo tracks, is simply figuring out how to reproduce the moves being shown at full-speed. This makes the ability to slow things down within the Break It Down mode incredibly useful. I wouldn't say that I necessarily had "Push It" on lockdown after going through the song piece-by-piece, but it wasn't nearly the dance-tastrophe it would've been otherwise.

Now that we were loose, limber, and, admittedly, drenched in sweat, we shifted our focus to Dance Central's two-player Dance Battle mode. In this mode, two players will alternate dancing to the same sections of a given song, with the score tally at the end determining the winner. While the lack of two-player simultaneous play means that there will, sadly, be no opportunity to recreate the dance-fight from Michael Jackson's "Beat It," I had fun with the Dance Battle mode. Jeff gave me the business on Kylie Minogue's "Can't Get You Out of My Head," but I managed to redeem myself by serving Harmonix's John Drake on Fannypack's "Hey Mami," though to be fair, I was playing on easy while Drake played on hard... and was suffering from food poisoning. Still, a win's a win, and I'll take it! 

My only nitpick with the Dance Battle mode is that player one always goes first, which seems to have the potential to give the second player a slight advantage, since they can see what moves they'll have to bust before its their turn to perform. I'm no game designer, but it seems like alternating the play order from one set to the next might help prevent either player from getting an edge.

Did I mention the sweat? Because Dance Central can definitely be a pretty intense full-body workout, so I can't say that the news that the game would feature a fitness mode came as a particular surprise. Don't expect a Wii Fit or EA Sports Active level of fitness tracking from Dance Central, as that's not really the focus of the game, but it will give you a ballpark figure for how many calories you've burned during a given routine.

Harmonix has also revealed 11 additional tracks that you'll be dancing your ass off to in the game. This still isn't the full track list for Dance Central, but I think it gives a pretty good idea of the styles of dance music that the game is aiming for.

Basement Jaxx - "Rendez-Vu"
Benny Banassi - "Satisfaction"
Cascada - "Evacuate the Dancefloor"
Fannypack - "Hey Mami"
Kool & The Gang - "Jungle Boogie"
Kylie Minogue - "Can't Get Your Out of My Head"
Nelly Furtado - "Maneater"
Nina Sky - "Move Ya Body"
Pitbull - "I Know You Want Me (Calle Ocho)"
Rihanna - "Pon de Replay"
Technotronic - "Pump Up the Jam"

And, if you haven't been keeping track, here are the songs that have already been revealed for Dance Central.

Beastie Boys - "Body MOvin' (Fatboy Slim Remix)"
Bell Biv DeVoe - "Poison"
Lady Gaga - "Poker Face"
Lipps Inc - "Funkytown"
M.I.A. - "Galang '05"
No Doubt - "Hella Good"
Salt-N-Pepa - "Push It"
Snoop Dogg/Pharrell - "Drop It Like It's Hot"
Young MC - "Bust A Move"

Staff
#1 Posted by Ryan (1263 posts) -

I don't think it's much of a stretch to say that, of all the games we've seen for ourselves for Microsoft's upcoming Kinect hardware for ourselves, Harmonix's Dance Central is the closest thing that the Xbox 360 motion controller has for a killer app. For me personally, it was the game from E3 2010 that I walked away from the show wanting to play more of right then and there, so I was more than happy to break out my patented white-boy moves when the DC posse rolled through town recently with a fresh build of the game.

I'll admit, after rocking Lady Gaga's "Poker Face" on easy at E3, I walked into this demo with a little too much confidence. This inspired me to skip a few difficulty levels and dive straight into Salt-N-Pepa's "Push It," and for my hubris I was very brutally rebuffed by a choreographed dance assault that I simply could not keep up with. Conveniently, this served as a great opportunity for me to test out Dance Central's Break It Down mode, a sort of built-in tutorial system that will allow you to practice the individual moves in a given routine one at a time before having them all strung together. 

I found that part of the learning curve in Dance Central, particularly on the higher-tempo tracks, is simply figuring out how to reproduce the moves being shown at full-speed. This makes the ability to slow things down within the Break It Down mode incredibly useful. I wouldn't say that I necessarily had "Push It" on lockdown after going through the song piece-by-piece, but it wasn't nearly the dance-tastrophe it would've been otherwise.

Now that we were loose, limber, and, admittedly, drenched in sweat, we shifted our focus to Dance Central's two-player Dance Battle mode. In this mode, two players will alternate dancing to the same sections of a given song, with the score tally at the end determining the winner. While the lack of two-player simultaneous play means that there will, sadly, be no opportunity to recreate the dance-fight from Michael Jackson's "Beat It," I had fun with the Dance Battle mode. Jeff gave me the business on Kylie Minogue's "Can't Get You Out of My Head," but I managed to redeem myself by serving Harmonix's John Drake on Fannypack's "Hey Mami," though to be fair, I was playing on easy while Drake played on hard... and was suffering from food poisoning. Still, a win's a win, and I'll take it! 

My only nitpick with the Dance Battle mode is that player one always goes first, which seems to have the potential to give the second player a slight advantage, since they can see what moves they'll have to bust before its their turn to perform. I'm no game designer, but it seems like alternating the play order from one set to the next might help prevent either player from getting an edge.

Did I mention the sweat? Because Dance Central can definitely be a pretty intense full-body workout, so I can't say that the news that the game would feature a fitness mode came as a particular surprise. Don't expect a Wii Fit or EA Sports Active level of fitness tracking from Dance Central, as that's not really the focus of the game, but it will give you a ballpark figure for how many calories you've burned during a given routine.

Harmonix has also revealed 11 additional tracks that you'll be dancing your ass off to in the game. This still isn't the full track list for Dance Central, but I think it gives a pretty good idea of the styles of dance music that the game is aiming for.

Basement Jaxx - "Rendez-Vu"
Benny Banassi - "Satisfaction"
Cascada - "Evacuate the Dancefloor"
Fannypack - "Hey Mami"
Kool & The Gang - "Jungle Boogie"
Kylie Minogue - "Can't Get Your Out of My Head"
Nelly Furtado - "Maneater"
Nina Sky - "Move Ya Body"
Pitbull - "I Know You Want Me (Calle Ocho)"
Rihanna - "Pon de Replay"
Technotronic - "Pump Up the Jam"

And, if you haven't been keeping track, here are the songs that have already been revealed for Dance Central.

Beastie Boys - "Body MOvin' (Fatboy Slim Remix)"
Bell Biv DeVoe - "Poison"
Lady Gaga - "Poker Face"
Lipps Inc - "Funkytown"
M.I.A. - "Galang '05"
No Doubt - "Hella Good"
Salt-N-Pepa - "Push It"
Snoop Dogg/Pharrell - "Drop It Like It's Hot"
Young MC - "Bust A Move"

Staff
#2 Edited by jclane (337 posts) -

Great,I guess 
EDIT:Wow,I got the quest.

#3 Edited by BjornTheUnicorn (356 posts) -

YAY DANCING. 

Edit: Godummit.

#4 Edited by Moth_Pope (454 posts) -

With all the possitive responses for this game so far, it does actually seem quite good. Not "gonna buy a Kinect for this" good, but good if you have one.

#5 Edited by Gav47 (1542 posts) -

Not convinced by Kinect yet, I'm sure Dance Central will be great but one game will not make me drop €150.

#6 Posted by Landon (4132 posts) -

Maybe it's because I don't listen to the radio, but I only recognize a handful of these artists.

#7 Posted by Randomize (7 posts) -

Dance Central + Lady Gaga - "Poker Face" + Ryan Davis = Greatest quick look ever!
#8 Posted by jclane (337 posts) -
@BjornTheUnicorn: I'm sorry,bro
#9 Posted by Shuborno (938 posts) -

I wish I had interest in this as it's the only decent-looking Kinect title, but I just have absolutely no interest in dancing.  I suppose I'll be busy with Rock Band 3.

#10 Edited by skrutop (3615 posts) -

So are the dance moves from " Satisfaction" going to involve pretending you're a bikini-clad, big breasted model using construction equipment?  Because if not, no dice.

(edit: Going ahead and removing the embedded vid.  I'm not sure if it would get me modded, but it certainly would get me into Hell.  Link instead.)

#11 Posted by servothx (25 posts) -

needs video

#12 Posted by Shibbles (262 posts) -

Can't Get You Out of My Head, Push It, and Bust a Move? This sounds like the greatest music game ever. 

#13 Posted by LordKorax (278 posts) -

Indeed.

#14 Posted by Princess_Isabela (163 posts) -

Of course it's gonna be great, it's HMX. 

#15 Posted by pbhawks45 (736 posts) -

CRANK DAT SOULJA BOY confirmed!

#16 Posted by Death_Unicorn (2838 posts) -

I KNEW RYAN WOULD DO IT!

#17 Posted by antivanti (289 posts) -

Im not sure I'll get the Kinect but this game sure does seem like the biggest pull for me.. just might gettit =P 

Ending of the video was great btw.. I LOL'd.

#18 Posted by jkz (4008 posts) -

God damn it, no matter how many times I tell myself I don't want Kinect, I remember this game. Looks like so much damn fun.

#19 Posted by Light_Bahamut (193 posts) -

This game + alcohol = awesome times ahead!

#20 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

Drake is awesome

#21 Posted by Branthog (7469 posts) -

Because if there's one thing middle aged heterosexual men love, it's dancing.

#22 Posted by Rapid (1358 posts) -
#23 Posted by SuperWristBands (2266 posts) -

That was one of the most annoying songs I have heard in a while. Granted I don't listen to that kinda of music but still, people like that?

I've also come to the sad realization that I may not like a lot of the songs on this game. 

Dance your heart out for me, since I wont be :(

#24 Posted by dudeglove (7720 posts) -

A summer of Dancing Stage Euromix made me lose a lot of weight.

#25 Posted by MiniPato (2727 posts) -

"of all the games we've seen for ourselves for Microsoft's upcoming Kinect hardware for ourselves,"

Is this a typo or am I just not reading it right? It sounds off.

#26 Posted by OldGuy (1542 posts) -
#27 Posted by Catarrhal (826 posts) -

Kasson loses massive points for mispronouncing "Rakim." Have some respect for the God MC.

#28 Posted by MetalGearSunny (6988 posts) -

I'm not gonna buy it, but that video was really fun to watch.

#29 Posted by Sovereign13 (147 posts) -

Epic dace battle is epic.

#30 Edited by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

Might have to get a xbox360 and kinect for this. The game looks more fun than DDR...yes I actually played DDR alot before.

#31 Posted by adoggz (2058 posts) -

if U Can't Touch This is not in the game then Dance Central will have failed. FAILED!!!!!!!

#32 Posted by NathHaw (2760 posts) -

I probably will buy a Kinect.  I'm hoping for some more potentially great games like this one.

#33 Posted by crapdragoon (42 posts) -
@Catarrhal said:
" Kasson loses massive points for mispronouncing "Rakim." Have some respect for the God MC. "

For real, RA-Kim not rakeeem
#34 Posted by error5305 (277 posts) -
@MiniPato:  Yea I had to do a double take on that one.
Looks very interesting, for we'll have to see for ourselves.
Also, Pump UP Da Jam!
#35 Posted by habster3 (3595 posts) -

This game looks horrible IMO.

#36 Posted by Ladnar (198 posts) -

Was "Don't the sweat the technique" stealth revealed by the PR dude? Don't see it on the list, but still sick.
#37 Posted by Bunnyman (212 posts) -

Woah there Ryan Astair. Nice victory there. You go killah.

#38 Posted by claudius (185 posts) -

It'll be a day 1 buy for me if they get "Pon De Floor" by Major Lazer in the game and somehow incorporate the dance moves from the video into the game.

#39 Posted by JamesEnsor (10 posts) -

I'm in for it because of the Fitness aspect. Like I play DDR for the fitness aspect. Secretly, deep down I'm just a dirty attention whore.

#40 Posted by natetodamax (19191 posts) -

Is John Drake the comic relief guy of the game industry?

#41 Posted by Advertisement (318 posts) -

dancing looks horrible 

#42 Posted by golddeathmonkey (38 posts) -

Jeff's line at the end, fantastic work sir!

#43 Posted by Marmaladebrat (298 posts) -

I am kind of amazed by Dance Central. I would have never purchased a Dance Dance Revolution game, but I have to say that Dance Central by Harmonix looks great.    

#44 Posted by Ronald (1356 posts) -

Dance Central ER when it comes out?

#45 Posted by GozerTC (456 posts) -

My wife would LOVE to see me playing this game.  I'd love to play it in front of her.  I'm not going to be spending $210 (Game + Kinect) to play it any time soon. :(  
#46 Posted by Redbullet685 (6031 posts) -
@Afroman269 said:
" Drake is awesome "
We need him at Giantbomb.
#47 Posted by Grilledcheez (3945 posts) -

We need more John Drake!

#48 Posted by saroorhai (21 posts) -

Mr. Shoemaker was having far too much fun, and was Mr. Davis performing moves from The Full Monty? I think we all got served. 
Please tell me Hot Chocolate's "You Sexy Thing" is in that game...please...

#49 Posted by HeghmohQib (183 posts) -

I saw jazz squares and some charleston but no jazz hands.

#50 Posted by x_XJules (303 posts) -

I lol'ed.  

I thought this game was kind of ridiculous but I think I'm starting to warm up to it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.