Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Danganronpa

Franchise »

Danganronpa is a franchise with three installments so far, as well as manga, novels and an anime. The games combine a visual novel storyline with murder mystery detective work and courtroom segments based on rhythm games.

Danganronpa Steam release imminent

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By hassun
    officer_falcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Already played both this and the sequel on my Vita but still neat to see them moving onto different platforms. Hm, this probably means they're at least considering bringing the third game to the PC as well. Originally was planning on playing that on the Vita but with the PS4 and PC now as options I'm not sure which one I'll go with.

bill_mcneal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By bill_mcneal

Does this mean I can finally throw my Vita in the trash? I've been meaning to get this game for a long time, but I was waiting until it went on sale and never really has.

[edit] no, I still need some way of playing my PS1 digital games.

JesusHammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Always nice to see good games be on other platforms, but it's sad to have less reasons to tell people to buy a Vita which has been my best gaming hardware purchase since the last time I upgraded my PC.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh man, finally half the reason that I would ever want a Vita is finally gone. The other half is for P4G, but if that never gets an official port I'm sure emulation will make sure it does.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Nice to see Dragon Grandpa back in action.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Oh good. Now I never need to buy a vita. Unless I want to play the best version of Persona 4.

Dimsey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 118

This is good. I bought it on the Vita but never got around to playing it.
    Don't usually play my portables unless I'm actually going somewhere and I seldom go anywhere.
    Then I bought the Playstation TV to play it on my big screen only to find that the PAL version doesn't work on Playstation TV for whatever reason.

So a Steam release suits me just fine.

InstantRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I've only seen the anime and just took a look at some videos of the game. It looks like it's basically similar to the anime. Trials with a bunch of mini-games seems to be the gameplay?

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Never would have expected this. I've heard it compared to Zero Escape, how accurate is that?

cettu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By cettu

Awesome! More people need to get their Danganr-ON(pa)! That sounded way better in my head.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear the Steam database leaks from a couple of months ago were correct.

For folks new to the series, think of the movie Battle Royale mixed with the trials from Phoenix Wright, and the social links from Persona!

@beachthunder said:

Never would have expected this. I've heard it compared to Zero Escape, how accurate is that?

That's a pretty apt comparison, but the Danganronpa games are much more lighthearted in tone. Also, the only real gameplay here bar buttoning through text starts only once people get killed, because then you have to do some detective work before entering a class trial. The trials are exhilarating, and easily my favorite parts of the games. That's when you're trying to piece together the evidence gathered to avenge a classmate of yours, all the while trying to prove your own innocence. Also, just like the victim, the murderer could've been a close friend of yours, or at the very least someone you were having a nice chat with only yesterday!

What if Yukiko straight up smoked Chie, and you've now got to figure out how, with the aid of Truth Bullets(!) and some (admittedly poor) rhythm games?!

The games are very heavy in story, and even though they can get pretty slow-paced at times, they're still gripping all the way through. They also ooze in style with fabulous art, and the great, now-and-then almost psychedelic soundtracks.

I'd heartily recommend the first two games to any and all fans of fun characters, stories with unexpected twists and turns, contradictions, and lots and lots of reading!

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I'm loving all these PC ports lately.

Also, with this and the new One Piece game it looks like Spike Chunsoft is finally developing for PC. Zero Escape games pls.

Also also, this is yet another confirmed game from that leaked upcoming Steam game list.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

They are so so good, I am happy more people get to play them.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Jesus_Phish

@instantryan: There's no mini games really. You could break the game up into four parts. Trials, Investigation, Story, Social. The Social stuff I found to be the worst. You move slowly around the campus and you get to spend your day with one or two people unless there's an investigation or trial pending. Compared to something like the Persona series, there's really not enough downtime to get to know characters. Also you might end up trying to get to know characters who are going to be killed in a day or two because of the story.

I'd have liked the first game more if it didn't have the social stuff or the walking around stuff and just had the investigation and trials and rolled the rest up into the plot. The trials are usually very good although there's a few where I figured out what happened and just sort of wished I could point the finger already.

Also there's very little fan service stuff in the first game which I appreciated. I can remember most of it, which is like three things.

Cool that they're going to PC though. And for people saying "guess I can throw my Vita out", I think you're all really missing the point of being able to play games like this and all the indie games anywhere any time. If it doesn't apply to you, it doesn't make the Vita a piece of garbage.

cettu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By cettu

@jesus_phish: It sounds like to me that you just didn't like the characters very much. That's understandable.

For me personally, getting up each morning was heart-pounding when you've all agreed to eat breakfast together in the school's cafeteria, but one of your friends is suddenly late one day. Did they oversleep? Are they just not hungry? Or did some sinister shit go down last night without you knowing?!

The fact that anyone you've befriended can pretty much at any point just turn up dead the next day made me really think about who I spent my time with, and it really made me care about the people I did get to know. Trying to find out what made them tick, and at the same time figuring out if they could really pull off killing someone for their own benefit was exciting, and something I'd never seen in a game before.

These games are so much fun, and I'm hoping that 3 is a return to form after the kind of disappointing Ultra Despair Girls.

violet_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All this means to me is that they might port the zero escape games to pc and also put the 3rd one on pc

Sogeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@beachthunder: If you expect something of the same quality you'll be disappointed. I was on board for the story (though it's kinda stupid) but the gameplay is so bad it made me not buy the sequel.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jesus_Phish

@cettu: I liked most of the characters and I liked the idea that they could wind up dead, I just felt I didn't get enough time with most of them before they weren't around any more. The part I really didn't like was walking around the school clicking on things and getting to people. I sort of wish it was all menu driven instead. That and as I said, I wish I got more time to get to know the cast.

I'm willing to give the second one a go but I'm waiting til it hits a lower price point on sale. I think I paid €15 for the first, so I won't pay more than that for the second.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

If this gets more people to play The Danganronpa, I will be a happy person. I own 1, 2, and Another Episode for Vita already, so I would only get this if I felt like doing the not so smart thing of throwing money at people just for the sake at throwing money at them.

Y'all should really play these games!!!

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By onarum

So is this a visual novel to actually take seriously? usually I insta "not interested" any of the billions of crappy dating sim/visual novel garbage that pops up on my steam queue.

Cav829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#21  Edited By Cav829

@beachthunder: There isn't much of a comparison. Zero Escape much more interesting gameplay other than both having story presented in graphic novel format. Danganronpa is like if you took Phoenix Wright, but instead of the trials being sort of graphic novel-esque, you presented your arguments by playing mini games. Like, sometimes you play hangman to present a certain clue. There is a kind of super basic rhythm game you play at times when trying to defeat someone's argument.

@instantryan:I'm not sure if there is a ton of value in playing the games if you saw the anime. The story is certainly better paced in the games than the anime where they have to move at a breakneck pace to make it fit 13 episodes. But the gameplay in Danganronpa is at best "eh" and at worst kind of annoying. And if you know where it is all going, the impact is lost.

The "social link" aspect of things is more a neat idea than how it ends up working in execution. You end up finding out like one interesting thing about each character if you do them to completion, but because they have to save the juicy bits for the trials and you only get to see a handful in a single playthrough, they're just kind of okay.

I'm four trials through Danganronpa 2 right now, and the game aspect is somehow even worse than the first game. Logic drive is like a bad phone game. At other points, you play a bad version of Fruit Ninja for some reason. I'd recommend the first game a lot more than the second from what I've played of 2. The story and characters were more interesting, and the gameplay was more meh than grating as it has been in the second game.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@onarum: Like I said earlier in the thread, there's like two or three little fan service parts but the story is actually pretty decent and it's not like a harem story or something. You don't play someone that everyone instantly loves and gets into whacky dating scenarios. You don't date at all. You try not get accused of murdering people and try figure out who is murdering people.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I ended up enjoying that first game a fair bit. The way they play with certain stereotypes associated with anime characters manages to be pretty interesting. The music is also superb. I'd recommend people give it a try.

Loading Video...

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cool, I've never played this because I never owned a vita, but i've always heard good things. I love all these more well-known Japanese games getting a place on Steam.

TheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just popping in here to post the best song of the soundtrack. Excited more people get to play this game. Dragon Grandpa is quite excellent.

Loading Video...

officer_falcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By officer_falcon

If they release it with higher res art that by itself would probably be enough for me to buy this again.

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Great! Been wanting to play this for a while.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#28  Edited By clagnaught

@theblue:

Danganronpa has some really great music. This track was always my favorite. It's so great at raising the stakes of those arguments.

Loading Video...

EDIT: Oh somebody earlier posted the exact same song. Oh well, haha

shaunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@clagnaught: The main theme is amazing too.

I watched the trials from Danganronpa after Patrick Klepek brought it up during the 2014 GOTY. Without a doubt, if more of the staff had played the game it would have won best story. The story is fantastic and the characters are fun as hell. If anyone doesn't know much about it, the game is essentially the concept of Battle Royale, the attitude and presentation of Persona, and the gameplay of Phoenix Wright.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mithical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After playing through the Zero Escape games I wanted to check this out and was disappointed it was Vita only, so I'm psyched this is finally happening. Now if only there was some way to get P4G...

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both games are great. One of the few games I bought a physical backup copy for.

MobiusFun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't care for Danganronpa but please everyone buy it again on Steam so they'll consider porting the Zero Escape series to PC as well. I gave my copy of Virtue's Last Reward to my friend about a year ago and not only did I not get it back, he hasn't touched it yet. What a dork.

Buy Danganronpa.

AwesomeOnsum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is the main non-P4G reason I've been considering a Vita. I'd definitely be interested in getting this.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

Can't wait to get trading cards!

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Chunsoft have said to Siliconera that this is only the start which pretty much all but confirms that the Escape games will end up on PC which is pretty good news.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cettu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By cettu

Just wanted to remind folks that this thing is out in less than two hours, as of this post! At 10:00 AM PST to be precise. http://store.steampowered.com/app/413410/

Reviews make it sound like the port is a great one! The minigames really benefit from the precision of a mouse, and the game looks and runs great for the most part. The only complaint I've seen in regards to it so far is that a small amount of the artwork that was originally only intended for smaller screens has suffered from the transition to bigger ones.

86 from PC Gamer

"Danganronpa is one of the best story-driven games on PC. The scarcity of interaction, vast quantities of text, and glacial pace will turn a lot of people off, but the story is so compelling that I barely noticed that all I was doing was clicking through lines of dialogue. Monokuma is a deliciously evil villain and the crimes are brilliantly constructed. Just when you think you’ve figured them out, you’ll be blind-sided by some new piece of evidence. If you love adventure games and want to experience something different, Danganronpa is worth investigating."

85 from Gaming Trend (SPOILERS IN THE IMAGES)

"Danganronpa’s PC port’s art is a little rough around the edges, but it is the only way that many people who would enjoy it can play it without investing in a Vita or PlayStation TV. While the Vita still feels like the most natural home Spike Chunsoft’s wonderful murder mystery, PC players shouldn’t wait any longer to fall down the rabbit hole. Danganronpa remains a fascinating and mind-bending game full of the darkest moments of despair, but also the brightest moments of hope."

A- from Anime News Network

"Danganronpa may not have the family-friendly reach of Phoenix Wright, but its cult status has now become undeniable among adventure game fans, and if you've ever wanted to discover its uncanny magic for yourself from the comfort of your own PC, this Steam release will definitely reward your patience. If you've been looking for a riveting mystery thriller caked in layers of shameless bombast, Danganronpa will give you hours of trigger happy entertainment."

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#39  Edited By Sessh

I was not aware this was getting a PC port so thanks for letting me know.

Always wanted to play this, but just didn't ever want to get a PSP or VITA.

joshth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everyone who has even the slightest interest in this style of game should get it, it's amazing.

Homelessbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome! I've always wanted to play this, but not enough to, say, purchase a Vita

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

Its up now! Thanks for reminding me by bumping the thread.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.