Anyone saying Dante is no longer cool in the new DmC...

  • 124 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
#1 Edited by ultimatepunchrod (336 posts) -

...can rest assured.

All misogyny aside, these are pretty awesome.

#2 Posted by DonutFever (3536 posts) -

Is it weird that I never thought he was cool?

#3 Posted by nail1080 (1975 posts) -

@DonutFever said:

Is it weird that I never thought he was cool?

unless you're 10, no.

#4 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

You know, I don't ever even use this word, but I can't think of a better word than "douche" to describe how Dante looks here.

#5 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

That Ninja Theory guy Dante "mysteriously" resembles must think incredibly highly of himself.

#6 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11383 posts) -

He's still a punk.

I will never be satisfied until he is not a punk again. He wasn't in 1 and 4. And even in 3, he was only kinda punky.

Which is a shame, because the game actually looks pretty cool. Not gonna buy it though. Unless I do. But I'm going to resist.

I'll wait until they put out Ultimate DMC: Off the Record. (cough, Capcom joke, cough)

Online
#7 Posted by BraveToaster (12588 posts) -

Anyone thinking that this will end well... 
 
 
 
  
 
 
 
is sorely mistaken.

#8 Posted by KarlPilkington (2778 posts) -

He looks like a bit of a cunt.

#9 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5400 posts) -

No one should ever tell the internet about sequels where they change things. Ever.

#10 Posted by ultimatepunchrod (336 posts) -

that didnt take long.

#11 Posted by ajamafalous (12147 posts) -

It's like they want their main character to look like so much of a douchebag that I don't want to play their game.

#12 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

@ajamafalous said:

It's like they want their main character to look like so much of a douchebag that I don't want to play their game.

My only issue with the New dante is that he is based on the likeness of the Head Dev.

#13 Posted by Spoonman671 (4769 posts) -

@BabyChooChoo said:

Orange and teal. Again.

Can we all stop pointing this out now? It's no longer interesting.

#14 Posted by mazik765 (2316 posts) -

Well as someone who literally knows nothing about DMC, looks fine to me. Also isn't this a prequel? Doesn't it make sense that he's a little more rash and 'punky' in his youth?

#15 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11383 posts) -

@mazik765 said:

Well as someone who literally knows nothing about DMC, looks fine to me. Also isn't this a prequel? Doesn't it make sense that he's a little more rash and 'punky' in his youth?

It's a reboot. DMC3 was the prequel where he was more rash an punky.

Online
#16 Posted by Agent47 (1892 posts) -

@DonutFever: I was about to say the same I never saw and I think most never percieved Dante as "cool" more as annoying japanese cliche.At least now he's not a cliche and more of a douche but hey progress is progress.

#17 Posted by Toms115 (2317 posts) -

rofl. so bad.

#18 Posted by JackSukeru (5964 posts) -

I'm not usually a guy to whine about everyone else being a bunch of stupid, overreacting fucktards, on the internet...which is why I'm going to shut up now.

#19 Posted by Atomasist (2818 posts) -

@Spoonman671 said:

@BabyChooChoo said:

Orange and teal. Again.

Can we all stop pointing this out now? It's no longer interesting.

Can we all stop pointing out those who pointed this out now? It's no longer interesting.

Online
#20 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5400 posts) -

@Atomasist said:

@Spoonman671 said:

@BabyChooChoo said:

Orange and teal. Again.

Can we all stop pointing this out now? It's no longer interesting.

Can we all stop pointing out those who pointed this out now? It's no longer interesting.

They may not be more interesting but which is more pointless?

#21 Posted by buzz_killington (3532 posts) -

The second pic specially looks cool.

#22 Edited by SethPhotopoulos (5400 posts) -

I feel like the internet sees Ninja Theory is Judas with Caiphus and Annas as Capcom to Dante's Jesus.

Especially with this bit of information about Capcom I got on Wikipedia.

"Reception to the new design of Dante and direction of the series was largely negative. In an interview, Capcom revealed that they knew Dante's new look would be met with negative backlash and that they pressed forward with this in mind. DmC is an origin story. In August 2011, new screenshots revealed that the design for Dante had undergone changes.

#23 Posted by ProfessorEss (7518 posts) -

If I was a bigger DMC fan, I'd be much more worried about Ninja Theory's questionable reputation on the gameplay front than anything else.  

#24 Posted by Kyle (2325 posts) -

@nail1080 said:

@DonutFever said:

Is it weird that I never thought he was cool?

unless you're 10, no.

This, pretty much.

#25 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5400 posts) -

@Kyle said:

@nail1080 said:

@DonutFever said:

Is it weird that I never thought he was cool?

unless you're 10, no.

This, pretty much.

I guess its cool to say that a bunch of people that liked Dante's original design are immature without knowing them.

#26 Posted by MideonNViscera (2252 posts) -

Japanese ideas of cool seem to be stuck in the 80's or something.

#27 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11383 posts) -

@MideonNViscera said:

Japanese ideas of cool seem to be stuck in the 80's or something.

Are you telling me that the 80s wasn't cool?

Online
#28 Posted by dr_pineapple (193 posts) -

Maybe it's just me but those pictures actually make him seem worse.

#29 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19388 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

That Ninja Theory guy Dante "mysteriously" resembles must think incredibly highly of himself.

After the re-design, DmC Dante doesn't really look like that developer anymore.

#30 Posted by Soffish (139 posts) -

I still think he looks ugly, but it really doesn't matter what dante looks like. What I'm most concerned about is whether or not Ninja Theory is capable of making a good DMC game.

#31 Posted by kashif1 (1428 posts) -

@ultimatepunchrod:

This Dante can only be cool if two things happen,

  1. He gets a really, really good Voice Actor
  2. He shows a lot of character dept, possibly through the use of a love interest.

If these two things happen then we will get a very badass character

#32 Edited by ProfessorEss (7518 posts) -
@MooseyMcMan said:

@MideonNViscera said:

Japanese ideas of cool seem to be stuck in the 80's or something.

Are you telling me that the 80s wasn't cool?

If he's not, I will.     
#33 Posted by Kyle (2325 posts) -

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@Kyle said:

@nail1080 said:

@DonutFever said:

Is it weird that I never thought he was cool?

unless you're 10, no.

This, pretty much.

I guess its cool to say that a bunch of people that liked Dante's original design are immature without knowing them.

Well I know one thing about them, and it's not the worst evidence in the world.

#34 Edited by SethPhotopoulos (5400 posts) -

@kashif1 said:

@ultimatepunchrod:

This Dante can only be cool if two things happen,

  1. He gets a really, really good Voice Actor
  2. He shows a lot of character dept, possibly through the use of a love interest.

If these two things happen then we will get a very badass character

Thats what Ninja Theory does though. Narrative and voice acting are top notch (based on Enslaved). So the character seems like he'll be well done when the game actually comes out.

#35 Posted by N7 (3666 posts) -

Where's Dante? All I see is Tameem Antionides.

#36 Posted by yinstarrunner (1240 posts) -

He looks like a total douchebag. 
 
I'm pretty into it.
#37 Posted by Lunar_Aura (2778 posts) -

Dante - Now cosplayed by your old high school football's quarterback

#38 Posted by kashif1 (1428 posts) -

@Lunar_Aura said:

Dante - Now cosplayed by your old high school football's quarterback

He looks nothing like a quarterback, more like that kid in my language class that who really needed to eat more and was an idiot.

#39 Edited by Meowshi (2911 posts) -

Dante was never cool. He went from one shitty design to another shitty design. It baffles me that anyone cares or considers Dante a visually interesting character in any way.

Fuck I hate Japan and its awful, awful character design.

edit: That first picture is an excellent piece of artwork though.

#40 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

@ultimatepunchrod said:

All misogyny aside, these are pretty awesome.

What misogyny?

#41 Posted by Brendan (8124 posts) -

Guess what guys? Dante was always lame. Always. Seriously, watch the opening cinematic of DMC 3. Most juvenile thing ever.

#42 Posted by Meowshi (2911 posts) -

You are very defensive about Dante.

#43 Posted by coakroach (2492 posts) -

@KarlPilkington said:

He looks like a bit of a cunt.

#44 Posted by Krendrayven (85 posts) -

It's strange. Why would they change his looks after all this time? Capcom can suck it. (Well not really, I just enjoyed Dante's looks before this.. this hoodlum, thug dude)

I suppose to me he looks badass with the long, white hair.. he looks more like a son of Sparda...? Although, perhaps that is just my thoughts.

#45 Posted by Brendan (8124 posts) -

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@Meowshi said:

Dante was never cool. He went from one shitty design to another shitty design. It baffles me that anyone cares or considers Dante a visually interesting character in any way.

Fuck I hate Japan and it's awful, awful character design.

Dante was cool to some people and not cool for others. Some people that thought Dante was cool are acting ike assholes when it comes to the new design. Some people who thought he was never cool are acting like assholes by saying stuff like this. @Meowshi said:

Dante was never cool. He went from one shitty design to another shitty design. It baffles me that anyone cares or considers Dante a visually interesting character in any way.

Fuck I hate Japan and it's awful, awful character design.

So keep an open mind. Don't act like an asshole. Realize that many different people have different opinions on what is "cool.

Because I'm not a vegetable, I clearly know that what I'm saying is my own opinion, and not everyone else's. Because I'm not braindead, I'm well aware that not everyone else will feel this way, and that my views aren't fact. Thanks for reminding me though. I sometimes slip into a coma when I post.

#46 Posted by onarum (2289 posts) -

Still looks like a wimpy emo kid to me, but he looked like a wimpy emo kid before as well so, who effin cares.
 
Japanese devs must learn the definition of badass I think:
 

I don't know about you, but when I'm playing a game I rather have a character who is a badass and not some wimpy emo BS.
#47 Posted by Gamer_152 (14109 posts) -

While I think there's been a big over-reaction about the new character design, I don't exactly think these images are going to win back anyone who already thinks the new look for Dante sucks.

Moderator
#48 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4701 posts) -

I have no problem with it. Sure it's trying hard to be "cool" but that has always been the tone of Devil May Cry games.

#49 Edited by VoshiNova (1752 posts) -

Dude, I don't even really connect with the DMC games and I think his new look is pretty rad.

EDIT: wait, just read the other comments, and no longer think he looks cool. I think he looks like a cunt.

#50 Posted by ultimatepunchrod (336 posts) -

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@Kyle said:

@nail1080 said:

@DonutFever said:

Is it weird that I never thought he was cool?

unless you're 10, no.

This, pretty much.

I guess its cool to say that a bunch of people that liked Dante's original design are immature without knowing them.

wow, my thoughts exactly. thank you

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.