Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dante's Inferno

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Feb 09, 2010

Traverse the nine circles of hell in Visceral's action game named after the first cycle of Dante Alighieri's epic poem The Divine Comedy.

Dante's Inferno Ban and Controversy in Video Games

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By End_Boss

Dante’s Inferno is "not being offered" to Middle Eastern consumers by publisher/developer EA.

Surprised? No? Neither was After all, the game has you marching against the legions of a decidedly Christian Hell as an undeniably Christian Crusader, and presumably climaxes in a fight to the death with Beelzebub himself (sorry if I just spoiled it for you). In an area so steeped in tradition, Dante’s Inferno would be a lightning rod for public outcry.

What is interesting however, is the way that the industry has responded to political and social criticism as it rapidly becomes the highest-grossing entertainment medium in the world. For example, extreme violence has been present and largely accepted (but for a small, if vocal minority) in games for years, but romantic relationships have only been touched on superficially and by a handful of developers.

The industry isn’t entirely devoid of those willing to cross the line, however. The announcement of developer Atomic’s “Six Days in Fallujah,” a fictionalized retelling of violence in Iraq, was met with harsh criticism from both the press and the public; the game promised a "survival-horror experience" staged in modern-day Fallujah, a city with an extraordinarily violent past in Iraq. Not long after its announcement, the game was canceled after Konami pulled the publishing plug due to the PR disaster and Atomic suffered crippling layoffs, with whatever remains of Six Days probably gathering dust in some guy’s desk.

When you think about it, it’s kind of unfortunate that video games were denied this opportunity out-of-hand. The Iraq war is still a touchy subject for many to say the least, but books and films have touched on it in the past to great acclaim, even as recently as Voltage Pictures’ “The Hurt Locker.” Many would blame video games’ exclusion from the proverbial party on account of their interactivity: it just isn’t the same when you have to pull the trigger yourself. Still, it would have been interesting to see if Atomic could have handled the subject material responsibly, and if they did, whether or not the public could admit it if it was any good, especially since games that feature approximations of combat in Iraq without having the stones to come out and admit what they’re going for remain hugely successful. And that’s today’s market for you.

I’m not sure if Six Days was the right way for video games to breach more somber and delicate material, but I do think the medium has earned the privilege to try and demonstrate that it has the intelligence and grace to be respectful of the subject matter while still providing a top-tier entertainment experience.

It seems that the industry’s growth is being stunted by standards established decades ago when the mentality was that games were just for kids, that they didn’t have the potential to offer anything but a quick bit of fun; and when operating under that mentality, I can see why there was such a negative reaction to Six Days. Unfortunately that state of mind isn’t valid anymore, but I don’t have to tell anyone here that. Luckily, Atomic wasn’t our only hope; Quantic Dream’s upcoming “Heavy Rain” may provide Joe Consumer a softer transition to more serious material later this year. Hopefully it does.

… Hopefully something does.

Thanks for reading,
    End_Boss.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By End_Boss

Dante’s Inferno is "not being offered" to Middle Eastern consumers by publisher/developer EA.

Surprised? No? Neither was After all, the game has you marching against the legions of a decidedly Christian Hell as an undeniably Christian Crusader, and presumably climaxes in a fight to the death with Beelzebub himself (sorry if I just spoiled it for you). In an area so steeped in tradition, Dante’s Inferno would be a lightning rod for public outcry.

What is interesting however, is the way that the industry has responded to political and social criticism as it rapidly becomes the highest-grossing entertainment medium in the world. For example, extreme violence has been present and largely accepted (but for a small, if vocal minority) in games for years, but romantic relationships have only been touched on superficially and by a handful of developers.

The industry isn’t entirely devoid of those willing to cross the line, however. The announcement of developer Atomic’s “Six Days in Fallujah,” a fictionalized retelling of violence in Iraq, was met with harsh criticism from both the press and the public; the game promised a "survival-horror experience" staged in modern-day Fallujah, a city with an extraordinarily violent past in Iraq. Not long after its announcement, the game was canceled after Konami pulled the publishing plug due to the PR disaster and Atomic suffered crippling layoffs, with whatever remains of Six Days probably gathering dust in some guy’s desk.

When you think about it, it’s kind of unfortunate that video games were denied this opportunity out-of-hand. The Iraq war is still a touchy subject for many to say the least, but books and films have touched on it in the past to great acclaim, even as recently as Voltage Pictures’ “The Hurt Locker.” Many would blame video games’ exclusion from the proverbial party on account of their interactivity: it just isn’t the same when you have to pull the trigger yourself. Still, it would have been interesting to see if Atomic could have handled the subject material responsibly, and if they did, whether or not the public could admit it if it was any good, especially since games that feature approximations of combat in Iraq without having the stones to come out and admit what they’re going for remain hugely successful. And that’s today’s market for you.

I’m not sure if Six Days was the right way for video games to breach more somber and delicate material, but I do think the medium has earned the privilege to try and demonstrate that it has the intelligence and grace to be respectful of the subject matter while still providing a top-tier entertainment experience.

It seems that the industry’s growth is being stunted by standards established decades ago when the mentality was that games were just for kids, that they didn’t have the potential to offer anything but a quick bit of fun; and when operating under that mentality, I can see why there was such a negative reaction to Six Days. Unfortunately that state of mind isn’t valid anymore, but I don’t have to tell anyone here that. Luckily, Atomic wasn’t our only hope; Quantic Dream’s upcoming “Heavy Rain” may provide Joe Consumer a softer transition to more serious material later this year. Hopefully it does.

… Hopefully something does.

Thanks for reading,
    End_Boss.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#2  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Banned in the...?

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By End_Boss
    @ArbitraryWater said:
    " Banned in the...? "
    Middle East. It's fixed now, but for some reason when I first pasted this blog from Word to the forums, it removed those words. =S
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

#4  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Alright. Thanks for the edit, because without it the post makes no sense. 

My reaction to this: They sell video games in the Middle East? and also: Obviously they would ban it. I think it kind of skirts the line already. I'm sure Muslims and Jews think it does more than that.

Chuggsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Chuggsy

Put spoiler tags on that sentence in the first paragraph, instead of saying "sorry I spoiled it for you". For fucks sake.

NintenDood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By NintenDood

Some of my friends were talking about the Dante's Inferno demo, saying the nudity is "way too inappropriate". Seriously? So apparently people are a-ok with a buff guy with a scythe tearing demons in half, but when they see a boob, oh no, the shit hits the fan. Basically, people need to grow up and accept that gaming is becoming the biggest medium, and developers have begun to experiment different ways of telling a story that no one would've thought of 20 years ago.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By End_Boss
    @Chuggsy said:

"Put spoiler tags on that sentence in the first paragraph, instead of saying "sorry I spoiled it for you". For fucks sake. "

@End_Boss said:

"... And presumably climaxes in a fight to the death with Beelzebub himself (sorry if I just spoiled it for you)."

I'll wait.
    Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@NintenDood said:
    " Some of my friends were talking about the Dante's Inferno demo, saying the nudity is "way too inappropriate". Seriously? So apparently people are a-ok with a buff guy with a scythe tearing demons in half, but when they see a boob, oh no, the shit hits the fan. Basically, people need to grow up and accept that gaming is becoming the biggest medium, and developers have begun to experiment different ways of telling a story that no one would've thought of 20 years ago. "
    THIS PISSES ME OFF SO MUCH.  So much that it requires all caps.  Parents see their kids playing Gears of War 2, sawing some dude in half, and it's totally cool.  Then they turn on Mass Effect and see some PG-13 sex scene and freak the fuck out.  I just don't understand how excessive violence is preferable to some tits.  I mean, fuck, man...  (Also, I have nothing against excessive violence in video games).
    Inquisitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Inquisitor

That Dante's Inferno is "officially" banned in the Middle East, where do you have this info from? Just asking, would be useful to know the source. 

On the other hand, its very probable that it gets at the very least censored in germany, because of the violence.

Then, the germans have no problem with explicit sex scenes depicted during TV shows at 4PM. 

I think its all very much hysterical. The golden road is in the middle. But common sense also is a super power.
    aaox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By aaox

I can't believe the Middle East is still sore about the Crusades.   
    It... It's a joke, by the way.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By End_Boss
    @Inquisitor: Banned was inappropriate terminology on my part, although that's what the source article reads. According to this Kotaku article, EA has elected to "not offer Dante's Inferno in the Middle East."
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ryanwho

Dante meets Muhammad in hell, in the book. 
    Spoiler alert. 

Inquisitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Inquisitor

Banned or not i think society is the problem, never the medium. 

First it was stone tables, then papirus, then books, then cinema, then TV, now its videogames... Whats next? 

These are just mirrors of our society, humanity as a whole still has a whole lot of growing up to do, if it ever has to reach maturity at all. 

But maybe this is a bit out of scope now. Pardon me and thanks for the interesting read End_Boss, i fully agree with your conclusions.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By jakob187

Man, see...they TOTALLY could've put Muhammed in there and no one would've even known!!!

DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By DanielJW
    @Aaox said:
    " I can't believe the Middle East is still sore about the Crusades.   It... It's a joke, by the way. "
    Heyo-o! 

I would expect that if a Middle Eastern developer made a game about killing Christians and glorifying Islam America would have a problem with it. 
    sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#16  Edited By sweep  Moderator

I think that with the rising popularity and awareness of videogames comes a responsibility for developers to be more aware of the impact and influence their products hold. All that Little Big Planet shit last year was a good example of both how easy it is to offend and how significant an impact such a seemingly-trivial error can be. It's understandable why a lot of Indie developers choose to avoid anything remotely political entriely.

Unless you are Johnathan Blow, of course...

Great blog bro, good read :)

swamplord666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By swamplord666
    @Inquisitor said:
    " Banned or not i think society is the problem, never the medium.  First it was stone tables, then papirus, then books, then cinema, then TV, now its videogames... Whats next?  These are just mirrors of our society, humanity as a whole still has a whole lot of growing up to do, if it ever has to reach maturity at all.  But maybe this is a bit out of scope now. Pardon me and thanks for the interesting read End_Boss, i fully agree with your conclusions. "
    you forgot rock n' roll ;)
    But I agree on  the whole. There's this very puzzling divide between violence and sex. They are both part of us, having been violent since the dawn of time (I mean gladiator fights and the entertainment of watching the afternoon hanging? come on) and having procreated since even longer. Maybe it's the remnants of religious society where sex is a way of procreation and by NO means a source of pleasure. This also goes for parents trying to shield their kids from sexual imagery. Eventually that kid is going to start being interested in girls and vice versa and he WILL explore those feelings. It's a natural part of life and fighting it only makes it more of a forbidden fruit. Hasn't the nudity in DI brought it more press? 
    Anyway sorry about my rambling :P
    Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18  Edited By Yukoei

Nice spoiler warning.

swamplord666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By swamplord666

forgot to touch the subject of fallujah! lol 
    I still don't understand why joining in gruesome battles in WW2 history from verdun to the normandy landing, as well as modern combat in a fictional place but the SAME area as the war going on now is completely ok to put in a game but yet, when there's a game based on a historically accurate battle in modern times, It's over the line. 
    I understand that it's maybe still fresh in the veterans' memories but it all holds as much water as a WW2 setting. For all we know, the subject might have been treaded carefully and respectably.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By End_Boss
    @Yukoei said:
    " Nice spoiler warning. "
    I can't tell if you guys are joking or not anymore. Here you go:

@Chuggsy said:
    " Put spoiler tags on that sentence in the first paragraph, instead of saying "sorry I spoiled it for you". For fucks sake."
    @End_Boss said:
    "... And presumably climaxes in a fight to the death with Beelzebub himself (sorry if I just spoiled that for you)."
    And again. I'll wait. Read it over a couple times.

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By turbomonkey138
    @Yukoei said:
    " Nice spoiler warning. "
    What that you fight the devil ? could you not see that coming ?
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ryanwho

Spoiler warning guys are quickly becoming the birthers of the internet.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By Geno

That's pretty good insight, I agree that games seem to be stuck in the mold of "for kids" while at the same time trying to experiment with more adult themes like violence and romance. I think games like Heavy Rain are carrying us in that direction and hopefully the morality barrier will be broken as quickly as the industry has grown financially these past few years.
    Ujio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 9

#25  Edited By Ujio

The USA has a severe stick up its ass concerning nudity yet it's OK, I daresay even acceptable, to watch people's heads explode. Yet the human body is treated as a taboo subject.

This country needs to grow up and get its priorities in line. If I was a parent I would object more to my child seeing outright graphic and gory violence than seeing woman's breast.

Seriously. No wonder kids are fucked up today. Because they're denied and taught to be ashamed of something natural as the human form, but oh, it's OK to beat the shit out of people as violently as you can. Go get 'em, Tiger!

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26  Edited By Evilsbane
    @Ujio: Yea, its not like sex is the most normal thing in the world, something that almost everyone and everything does.

But come on, its so funny to see people run at the sight of boobs.
    Alphiehyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#27  Edited By Alphiehyr
    @ArbitraryWater said:
    " Alright. Thanks for the edit, because without it the post makes no sense.   My reaction to this: They sell video games in the Middle East? and also: Obviously they would ban it. I think it kind of skirts the line already. I'm sure Muslims and Jews think it does more than that. "
    I was wondering as well. First he stated on the blog that the game wasn't "offered" to middle-eastern countries and someone said it was banned. What the fuck? Anyways, love you.
    amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28  Edited By amir90

I am not suprised, the ones who wanted the game in the first place in the middle east can always order it :)

Doesn't seem to me to be more special then when australians or germans aren't able to play some banned games.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.