Dante's Inferno Damning PSP To Hell Next Year

Posted by Brad (2903 posts) -
Probably not the PSP version.
EA has just announced its medieval hack-and-slasher Dante's Inferno is coming to the PSP next year alongside its console brethren, courtesy of Montreal studio Artificial Mind and Movement.

A couple of years ago, if you had told me this sort of game could work on the PSP and its lousy analog nub, I would have called you crazy. But then Ready At Dawn came along and did a shockingly good job of making God of War: Chains of Olympus fully playable on the Sony portable. And since Dante takes more than a few cues from Kratos, I'd say there's at least even odds this will turn out well.

Those of you who already finished Chains of Olympus and/or were saddened by the recently confirmed cancellation of Devil May Cry PSP, take heart: here's another one of those kinds of game for your PSP! Come to think of it, has the gaming community decided yet what "those kinds of games" are called? There's a ton of them now: Dante's and God of War and Devil May Cry, Bayonetta, on and on ad nauseam... I've heard them called "character action games," but Ryan argued on the Bombcast yesterday they're called "hero action games." Maybe neither one of us is right. What's the consensus, folks?
Staff
#1 Posted by Brad (2903 posts) -
Probably not the PSP version.
EA has just announced its medieval hack-and-slasher Dante's Inferno is coming to the PSP next year alongside its console brethren, courtesy of Montreal studio Artificial Mind and Movement.

A couple of years ago, if you had told me this sort of game could work on the PSP and its lousy analog nub, I would have called you crazy. But then Ready At Dawn came along and did a shockingly good job of making God of War: Chains of Olympus fully playable on the Sony portable. And since Dante takes more than a few cues from Kratos, I'd say there's at least even odds this will turn out well.

Those of you who already finished Chains of Olympus and/or were saddened by the recently confirmed cancellation of Devil May Cry PSP, take heart: here's another one of those kinds of game for your PSP! Come to think of it, has the gaming community decided yet what "those kinds of games" are called? There's a ton of them now: Dante's and God of War and Devil May Cry, Bayonetta, on and on ad nauseam... I've heard them called "character action games," but Ryan argued on the Bombcast yesterday they're called "hero action games." Maybe neither one of us is right. What's the consensus, folks?
Staff
#2 Posted by lamegame621 (975 posts) -

Ready At Dawn is not doing it so....probably not too good. But who knows.

#3 Posted by Kinarion (378 posts) -

I find this whole Divine Comedy video game thing gross.

#4 Edited by punkxblaze (2968 posts) -

If Capcom is to be believed with their DMC branding, they're 'Stylish Action Games' O:

So SAGs.

#5 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -

"Character action game" is such a meaningless term. It's an action game! Starring a character!

#6 Posted by RBecho (21 posts) -

How about Stylistic Brawler, or Character Action Brawler if they must. These games just seem like the natural progression of River City Ransom or Bad Dudes to me.

#7 Posted by TheMustacheHero (6655 posts) -

They are called hack and slash!

#8 Posted by Magnus_Bulla (112 posts) -

Isn't hack and slash more a term used for games like Dynasty Warrior and such? As much as I hate to go along with Capcom's marketing, stylish action is probably the best way to describe games like DMC or GoW.

#9 Posted by Snipzor (3317 posts) -
  You know I never cared for these types of games.
#10 Posted by FCKSNAP (2299 posts) -

Every time they do a big push for games on the PSP they forget one thing; Piracy of disk products. Why aren't third parties willing to release new games on the PSN store?

#11 Posted by RHCPfan24 (8609 posts) -

"Character action game?" I don't know, "hero action games" doesn't sound great either, but its better.

#12 Posted by KommanderCevin (237 posts) -

How about Fast Action Games.

#13 Posted by OmegaPirate (5523 posts) -

im going to say -

Badass based quicktime inclusive stylish brawler action genre games

BBQISBAGG

Thats right ladies-  bbq IS bag!!
#14 Posted by Media_Master (3283 posts) -

Interesting

#15 Posted by theMcNasty (741 posts) -

Why does anyone care about this game?

It looks so bland and boring.  And, I mean, it's about going through the stages of hell.  SO HOW COULD IT LOOK BLAND?

#16 Posted by needforswede (492 posts) -

I thought they were just called action games...yet aren't there RPG elements in them too?  I dunno, I've never owned a God of War or Devil May Cry game, but I've played demos.  Aren't the Dead Space people working on this game?  That makes it seem like it would be more survival horror (lotta potential for that, being in hell and all), yet Dead Space was kinda like survival horror and 3rd person shooter.

#17 Posted by zityz (2360 posts) -

i always put them as Hack and Slash, if its an rpg of that vien its an ActionRPG and stuff like demigod and dota i would classify them has a CORPG ( competitive online rpg) but thats me.

#18 Posted by gabha (354 posts) -

Yahtzee from Zero Punctuation suggest calling them "Spectacle Fighters" in one of his Reviews, I think that it's a good name.

#19 Posted by IAmTheDanWilson (9 posts) -

I knew this was going to happen.
I'm a little sketchy on a Divine Comedy video game as it is.

But now EA is going to release crappy spin-offs/ports/squeals like mad.

#20 Edited by skrutop (3615 posts) -

So is it going to be called Dante's Inferno: Chains of Perdition or something like that?

@Brad

said:

"Come to think of it, has the gaming community decided yet what "those kinds of games" are called? There's a ton of them now: Dante's and God of War and Devil May Cry, Bayonetta, on and on ad nauseam... I've heard them called "character action games," but Ryan argued on the Bombcast yesterday they're called "hero action games." Maybe neither one of us is right. What's the consensus, folks? "

I think the working genre name for the Bayonettas of the world is "Stylish Action," which I always thought was a pretty stupid name.  They're basically modern brawlers.  Epic brawlers, maybe?
#21 Posted by Shrum (4 posts) -
@TheMustacheHero:
i agree completely lol

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.