Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dante's Inferno

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Feb 09, 2010

Traverse the nine circles of hell in Visceral's action game named after the first cycle of Dante Alighieri's epic poem The Divine Comedy.

Dante's Inferno Hands-On!

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#1  Edited By Icemael
    Gamespot's Dante's Inferno hands-on. The story is complete bullshit(You get your first weapon in the tutorial, by defeating Death and taking his scythe), but it sounds like this could be really fun. I just wish they'd have created an original protagonist instead of ruining the book's characters...
    TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By TheFreeMan
    Icemael said:
    "The story is complete bullshit(You get your first weapon in the tutorial, by defeating Death and taking his scythe)"
    The hell? If Death is the first level boss then the bosses in later levels have to be damn good.
    zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By zitosilva
    Icemael said:
    "Gamespot's Dante's Inferno hands-on. The story is complete bullshit(You get your first weapon in the tutorial, by defeating Death and taking his scythe), but it sounds like this could be really fun. I just wish they'd have created an original protagonist instead of ruining the book's characters..."
    It's exactly this that's keeping me away from the game. I can understand wanting to use the nine circles of hell, and that's cool. But calling your game Dante's Inferno and starting out with passages from the book... to suddenly show Dante (I guess we'll control him?) slashing demons... Sorry, I can't digest that.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By jakob187

I'm simply interested in how the game uses the book as INSPIRATION.  I already know that they are going to fuck up certain story elements from the BOOK, but as long as they offer up a good story that I enjoy and can follow, then I'm fine.  I honestly don't care how they portray the characters and the order of things.  I just want a good game with a good story.

And this comes from someone who owns the book and reads it at least once a year:

On the right, next to my roommate's Edgar Allan Poe collection
    On the right, next to my roommate's Edgar Allan Poe collection

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Icemael
    TheFreeMan said:
    "Icemael said:
    "The story is complete bullshit(You get your first weapon in the tutorial, by defeating Death and taking his scythe)"
    The hell? If Death is the first level boss then the bosses in later levels have to be damn good."
    Well, we can be almost sure that Satan is the final boss, and in the book he is one bad mutha. He has three heads, six wings, and Dante described his size by saying "I am nearer in size to a giant than a giant is to one of his arms".
    deathfury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By deathfury

I think it should just be a point-and-click adventure game, would be much better. Its sad that they are kinda ruining it.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Icemael
    deathfury said:
    "I think it should just be a point-and-click adventure game, would be much better. Its sad that they are kinda ruining it."
    I agree, a point-and click adventure game would've been much more fitting.
    JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By JoelTGM

Don't worry, EA won't let you down  ;)

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By oraknabo

Do you also worry about the accuracy of the God of War games? I know they aren't called "Aeschylus's Oresteia" or "Bullfinch's Mythology: the Game" or anything, but it's essentially the same thing - just a  game based loosely on Christian myth & legend instead of Greek.

Granted, God of War owes more to Clash of the Titans than actual Greek myth, but this kind of redefinition of literature is nothing new. Look at movies like the Scarlet Letter. Even most comic book movies have a hard time sticking to the source.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By jakob187

The game's gonna own, if solely for the fact that the Dead Space guys are making it.  Dante's Inferno may be the namesake of the game, but it's also merely the INSPIRATION!  I mean, should Prince of Persia be more true to Arabian Nights?  Should licensed products be WORD-FOR-WORD and FRAME-FOR-FRAME the same as their movie/TV show counterparts?  NO!!!  Absolutely not.  When someone does a form of interpretive work, you can only judge it on two things:

• Does it convey the aspect and tone of the original well?
    • Does it tell a good story while not sacrificing either of those?

For instance, The Shawshank Redemption is an INCREDIBLE movie...but it's not the exact same as the short story.

Or how about how The Green Mile movie UNDERPLAYS the execution that Percy oversees?  It was FAR more graphic in the book!

Everything is interpretive work.  Unfortunately, you get shit like Daredevil or V for Vendetta that basically shits all over the majority of that and tries to just be its own thing with a known name attached to it.

I'll take the game for what it is, however:  it's a game based in the 9 circles of Hell, and I will eventually have to fight Satan.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#11  Edited By Claude
    jakob187 said:
    "I'm simply interested in how the game uses the book as INSPIRATION.  I already know that they are going to fuck up certain story elements from the BOOK, but as long as they offer up a good story that I enjoy and can follow, then I'm fine.  I honestly don't care how they portray the characters and the order of things.  I just want a good game with a good story.

And this comes from someone who owns the book and reads it at least once a year:

"

Check this out Jakob. My wife and I got this and twenty other books from her grandparents.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    It's hard to read, but they were published in 1937... sweet.
    oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By oraknabo

I do have to add that I think the current design for Dante is terrible I hope they change hiim. I wish he looked more like an Italian poet and less like a generic badass video game hero.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By jakob187
    oraknabo said:
    "I do have to add that I think the current design for Dante is terrible I hope they change hiim. I wish he looked more like an Italian poet and less like a generic badass video game hero."
    The only thing that bothers me is the helmet.  That's all.  The rest...I'm fine with it.  Either they should lose the helmet altogether or just change it up a little bit.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.