Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dante's Inferno

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Feb 09, 2010

Traverse the nine circles of hell in Visceral's action game named after the first cycle of Dante Alighieri's epic poem The Divine Comedy.

Holy hell.

Avatar image for deactivated-57aaaa9329732
    deactivated-57aaaa9329732

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Pun not intended but this game has some fucking awesome level design. 
    I just got it through gamefly and I'm enjoying it more than the game it ripped off. It might just be because of how let down I was by God of War III but I feel bad I missed it when it was originally released. 

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#2  Edited By Icemael

How is it compared to the other God of War games? I fucking hated III, but I liked II and Chains of Olympus, so if it's less like the former and more like the latter, I might pick it up.

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By sodiumCyclops

I was always interested in the game, but after hearing how much it deviates from the real story kinda turned me off.

PerryVandell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By PerryVandell

Just wait until you get to some of the later levels. That game was so fucking frustrating. I felt like I was punishing myself for actually going to the end and beating it.

TheGodPoet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By TheGodPoet
    @Icemael said:
    " How is it compared to the other God of War games? I fucking hated III, but I liked II and Chains of Olympus, so if it's less like the former and more like the latter, I might pick it up. "
     It's more similar to the latter. You'll see the similarities during your first combo but about an hour in the game after you get the cross for me the game was different enough. The level design is great and while it's very much a rip off of God of War it's a good one....great one actually. 
    TheGodPoet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By TheGodPoet
    @Fullmetal216 said:
    " Just wait until you get to some of the later levels. That game was so fucking frustrating. I felt like I was punishing myself for actually going to the end and beating it. "
    I will never understand why many people have said this. The game wasn't easy at times but it was never frustrating where i wanted to break the disc in half. Even the challenges at the end were actually pretty easy compared to what I read on here about them. 
    zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By zombie2011

I liked Dante's Inferno more than GOW3, i remember playing it and some of the images in that game are messed up.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't have a PSP so I can't comment on Chains of Olympus but I would compare it to GoW2 more so than 3.  

After reading some of the reviews for the game I'm left wondering what game they played. I haven't run into anything I would consider heavy repetition. The game is paced well enough so that when things start to stagnate, they throw you a beast riding scene, a cut scene, or a puzzle at you. 

Each circle has it's own style that echos the name and the reason the occupants are there. My favorites so far would be Gluttony that was designed like the inside of a stomach with fleshy fat deposits and stomach acid around, lust which is filled to the fucking brim with decorations of sexual innuendo, and  anger which feels like the inside of a raging volcano. 

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By Vorbis

It was a nice change from bald angsty Kratos and it did some interesting things that GoW didn't, like the whole Holy abilitiy system. Yes it borrowed heavily from GoW but I played the first playthrough without ever using a melee weapon so it never felt like a rip off. Between a £45 GoW3 and a £15 Dante's Inferno, I prefer the later.

Sadly the gaming community seems to think GoW rules the genre, anything that tries that style is automatically labeled a "clone". Dreading the amount of times "GoW clone" is going to be used in Castlevania Lords of Shadow reviews.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodiumCyclops said:
    " I was always interested in the game, but after hearing how much it deviates from the real story kinda turned me off. "
    Honestly thats why I only just now played it. I was semi-interested since the genre is usually fun but the weird deviation from the source material put me off. 

It may be hard to do but put the poem out of your head and look at this as it's own story and it's actually pretty good. One of the things that drew me in was the tapestry artwork cut-scenes from the cloth sewn into Dante's torso.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By jakob187

The level design and general tone of the game...were the only good things about the game.  Dante's Inferno, at least for me, was best enjoyed on the lowest difficulty setting just to see all the amazing art assets in the game...and then forget it exists. 

Oh, and because I got a sweet action figure of Dante with my "pre-order" (meaning I bought it the day of and my friends worked at Game Crazy).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.