oh my sweet jesus this looks absolutely horrible

#1 Posted by graniteoctopus (260 posts) -

based soley on the ryans inferno i cant see how anyone can possibly enjoy this. ryan looks like he's on the verge of breaking down! this is to ryan what prototype was to brad back in the day
#2 Edited by dbz1995 (4790 posts) -

That part, I'll agree as well, looks awful. However, a lot of people have said that whilst the last third is disappointing, the beginning to the middle is actually good.

#3 Posted by Binman88 (3686 posts) -

Hardly an opinion worth a topic unto itself. Plenty of other threads you could have posted this in, or even the comments of the video.

#4 Posted by MAN_FLANNEL (2462 posts) -

It looked like he sucked at the game to me. 

#5 Posted by nanikore (2740 posts) -

Someone do a cool story, bro already.

#6 Posted by graniteoctopus (260 posts) -

cool story, self.
#7 Edited by Evilsbane (4595 posts) -

Honestly, I love Ryan and the rest of the crew, but most of them are not SUPER GOOD at these kind of games, and Ryan made it clear in the video that he needed no further condemnation of his playing style. But this game is alot of fun, its not God of War (Quality wise) but the enviroments you trek through are really cool and diverse (Until the end which has been discussed, but I didn't find it awful) and the core combat is solid. 

There are a few frustrating checkpoints, bad camera angles (Platforming while looking from the left slightly tilted up IS BAD) and the graphics look rough in spots, but I had fun and would rate it a 3 out of 5    7 out of 10    pick your poison.

#8 Posted by VWGTI (1919 posts) -

Dante's Inferno is a fine game. I could see how Ryan's recent video may have turned people off, but that part really isn't as hard as it seems.

#9 Posted by xyzygy (9953 posts) -

So there is a hard part in the game. I'm glad Visceral isn't making it easy as balls. Do people expect games to just throw themselves at you now? Go play some Demon's Souls, Ryan!

#10 Posted by graniteoctopus (260 posts) -
@xyzygy said:
"So there is a hard part in the game. I'm glad Visceral isn't making it easy as balls. Do people expect games to just throw themselves at you now? Go play some Demon's Souls, Ryan! "

actually i suspect thats why giant bomb didnt review demon's souls. the quicklook was vinny spelling out that its the hardest thing he's ever touched
#11 Posted by septim (774 posts) -
@xyzygy said:
" So there is a hard part in the game. I'm glad Visceral isn't making it easy as balls. Do people expect games to just throw themselves at you now? Go play some Demon's Souls, Ryan! "
He was playing on easy. Broken and frustrating is not the same thing as challenging.
#12 Edited by xyzygy (9953 posts) -
@septim said:

" @xyzygy said:

" So there is a hard part in the game. I'm glad Visceral isn't making it easy as balls. Do people expect games to just throw themselves at you now? Go play some Demon's Souls, Ryan! "
He was playing on easy. Broken and frustrating is not the same thing as challenging. "
The game requires you to keep a hit counter up to beat 3 waves of enemies... if you look at the comments on that page, if he had leveled up his Holy, or his cross skills, he would have no problem at all doing this challenge. He spent all of skills on his Unholy skills for his Scythe which is only close range and puts you in danger. Many people have done it on their first try because they have skills which help at this, like creating a holy shield around him with nullifies knockback. As you could see from the video, a nullified knockback would have helped Ryan a lot. This is just a repercussion of not leveling up your Holy, simple as that. It's like going into a boss battle under leveled.
#13 Posted by riffingt0n (157 posts) -
@xyzygy said:
I'm the first person to say "yeah, challenge" in games, but quite frankly, this is the artificial sucky kind of challenge.  And I think others have pointed it out before; if you had a good difficulty curve throughout, you shouldn't need to artificially say "now, 95% of the way through the game, we're going to ask you to actually understand the nuances of the combat".

Sounds like the folks who had no problem with this one mostly (by luck or planning) had a better skill roll-out and the combo relic which makes the challenge less challenging for reasons other than skill.

And "spam ranged attack" is probably the thing that unsold me on this more than anything.  How degenerative.
#14 Posted by PerryVandell (2103 posts) -

That part looked annoying but I don't see how you can just assume a 8-12 hour game is bad just because of one part of the game where you have to do a shitty challenge. To me it looks like Ryan didn't upgrade his holy side enough which would've given him a more powerful range attack (I assume but I haven't yet played the game). Sure there are some games where you can look at them for about 5 minutes and just KNOW it's going to be an awful game, but from what I've seen, Dante's Inferno deserves a closer look than just a 37 min video of Ryan dying at just one part.

#15 Posted by Suicidal_SNiper (949 posts) -
@MAN_FLANNEL said:
" It looked like he sucked at the game to me.  "
#16 Edited by ProfessorEss (7324 posts) -

Too many games in the past have been applauded for not "dumbing it down" and "catering to the casuals" to write this one off purely for it's difficulty.

Plus, it seems like a lot of people have beaten this game.

If anything this has increased my interest so I can see first hand if it really all that they make it out to be.

#17 Posted by xyzygy (9953 posts) -
@riffingt0n: The skill, in this case, comes from knowing to create a balanced character and not favoring any one side, Holy or Unholy. Something which actually makes sense. 

@ProfessorEss said:
" Too many games in the past have been applauded for not "dumbing it down" and "catering to the casuals" to write this one off purely for it's difficulty.  Plus, it seems like a lot of people have beaten this game.  If anything this has increased my interest so I can see first hand if it really all that they make it out to be. "
Totally agree. I hated how easy Darksiders and Bayonetta and Eternal Sonata and Tales of Vesperia all are. And that's just off the top of my head.
#18 Posted by riffingt0n (157 posts) -
@xyzygy said:
" @riffingt0n: The skill, in this case, comes from knowing to create a balanced character and not favoring any one side, Holy or Unholy. Something which actually makes sense. 
That is by no means a video game universal.  Many systems reward heavily specialization the exclusion of that kind of balance.  I guess you could go in and look at the trees in more depth in advance but really, if you get 2-3 encounters from the end of the game before it's a problem, how reliably can you trust that the player is going to think at all deeply about that stuff?
#19 Posted by xyzygy (9953 posts) -
@riffingt0n said:
" @xyzygy said:
" @riffingt0n: The skill, in this case, comes from knowing to create a balanced character and not favoring any one side, Holy or Unholy. Something which actually makes sense. 
That is by no means a video game universal.  Many systems reward heavily specialization the exclusion of that kind of balance.  I guess you could go in and look at the trees in more depth in advance but really, if you get 2-3 encounters from the end of the game before it's a problem, how reliably can you trust that the player is going to think at all deeply about that stuff? "
I know it's not a video game universal rule, that's why I said "in this case". It only makes sense that if you spec your character to all close quarters, you're going to have to get in close to attack and risk taking damage - something that doesn't work well with this challenge.
#20 Posted by riffingt0n (157 posts) -

@xyzygy
I think that's my point :).  Unless you're looking ahead and using a guide or have ESP, expecting someone to have magically specced for this very artificial challenge is by no means a certainty.

#21 Posted by amir90 (2154 posts) -

please elaborate on your opinion, Ryan did just about all the bad moves in this game.

#22 Posted by Maclintok (177 posts) -

Ryan's video misrepresents Dante's Inferno.  It is a very good game.  I had my share of frustrations with the game mostly with some boss fights and the environmental puzzles but when all's said and done I kept on coming back to the game to play. 

Ninja Gaiden II was even worse in the challenge and anger department and I still count it as one of my favourite 360 games. 

Dante's Inferno has a bad rep.

#23 Posted by Gabriel (4061 posts) -

Damn, no part in DEMON"S SOULS was that hard compared to that.

#24 Posted by pause422 (6179 posts) -

That part is easier with certain holy abilities for sure, I had no problem in it whatsoever. There is a relic also that helps a lot, when equipped it increases the time you have before your combo ends. They made it very easy.

#25 Posted by Gabriel (4061 posts) -

Also the dodge move, doesn't look that great in GOW you can roll rather fastly and keep a combo going for quite some time

#26 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6398 posts) -
@graniteoctopus said:
"based soley on the ryans inferno i cant see how anyone can possibly enjoy this. ryan looks like he's on the verge of breaking down! this is to ryan what prototype was to brad back in the day "

The whole game is awesome actually, and as I said in the comments, the reason Ryan sucks so much is because he went the unholy path but if went holy he could just spam the cross from a distance, which makes the challenge significantly less hard. Dont let Ryans Inferno decide for you which game is good or bad because it really depends on the player.
#27 Posted by Arcane_Workshop (58 posts) -

Gotta be honest with you guys, I have the game and its OK. It's not terrible by any means, but as the rest of the world has already said 3 million times over..... it's not God of War.

The problem is that Ryan only skilled up his unholy tree. There are several holy abilities (as well as an equippable relic which lengthens your combo time) that would have made that stage a cakewalk for anyone.

That's not to say its Ryan's fault either.... its a design flaw in the game that he was being punished because of how he specced his character. However, most people will see the differences between the two tree's and understand that a balance between the two are needed. Unholy is all scythe moves, and holy is all magical ranged and AOE type abilities. PLUS... I also feel the need to mention, that Ryan NEVER USED ANY MAGIC ABILITIES in that video and I don't understand why, as he had plenty of mana. Those as well could have made that stage much MUCH easier.

#28 Posted by amir90 (2154 posts) -

He not using any damage adding, combo lenghtyig, or any good relics for that matter, and not using magic, barely using redemption (we had to wait for jEFF to tell him), but it is totally do-able with only unholy, he didn't use any magic at all, 
I hated that fact, lol

#29 Posted by amir90 (2154 posts) -

For Christ's sake, Ruy Hayabusa eats this game for breakfast with a side of Devil may cry

#30 Posted by Hailinel (24429 posts) -
@Maclintok said:
" Ryan's video misrepresents Dante's Inferno.  It is a very good game.  I had my share of frustrations with the game mostly with some boss fights and the environmental puzzles but when all's said and done I kept on coming back to the game to play.  Ninja Gaiden II was even worse in the challenge and anger department and I still count it as one of my favourite 360 games.   Dante's Inferno has a bad rep. "
How does the video misrepresent the game?  It's most of an hour of Ryan making honest attempts at beating a section of the game that he's been absolutely stuck on to the point that it gave him fury-induced insomnia.
#31 Posted by jmrwacko (2443 posts) -
@graniteoctopus said:
" based soley on the ryans inferno i cant see how anyone can possibly enjoy this. ryan looks like he's on the verge of breaking down! this is to ryan what prototype was to brad back in the day "
I'm on the verge of breaking down in just about any video game I play. Doesn't have to mean they suck.
#32 Edited by Cocytus (27 posts) -
@graniteoctopus said:

" based

soley

on the ryans inferno i cant see how anyone can possibly enjoy this. ryan looks like he's on the verge of breaking down! this is to ryan what prototype was to brad back in the day "

Surely you know what you're talking about then. Right? Locl stort bor
#33 Posted by ImperiousRix (2963 posts) -
@MAN_FLANNEL:
You're right. 
Though to be fair, I can see that part giving a lot of people problems. 
Especially if you have no idea what you're doing, like Ryan.
#34 Posted by Jadeskye (4367 posts) -
@nanikore said:
" Someone do a cool story, bro already. "

4 days late, i apologise.
#35 Posted by MikkaQ (10284 posts) -

That kind of challenge is super artificial. What I define as "cheap" in a game. It's cheap of them to expect you to have upgraded certain powers in one direction. Why offer the choice to go full evil powers if it makes the game broken? There should be blocks for that kind of shit. Especially if you're playing on easy.

#36 Posted by JohnRehill (220 posts) -
@MAN_FLANNEL said:
" It looked like he sucked at the game to me.  "
#37 Posted by graniteoctopus (260 posts) -
@Cocytus:
Oh yes, point out a spelling error I made on an internet forum because that somehow makes everything else I said now insignificant. *Claps hands* Fantastic internet logic. Also you're a prick.
#38 Edited by ProfessorEss (7324 posts) -

@ProfessorEss said:

...this has increased my interest so I can see first hand if it's really all that they make it out to be. "

Yes I realize I'm quoting myself from 10 months ago but I just popped in to mention that I finally got around to playing this, and did the ten rings last night and "saw for myself".
I was not shocked to discover that it was not very difficult, even without the spamming the cross. Start to finish all ten rings took me just under one hour.

...Captain Hugecock on the other hand gave me quite a drubbing.
#39 Posted by Protag_B4P (32 posts) -

From that video all I get is that Ryan is a very clumsy player. 

And it's not at all about 'spamming the cross' or 'levelling up a load of Holy attacks'. From the looks of it he had hardly even touched the holy side, if at all, making the game that much harder for himself. 

I lost count of the times Dante's Inferno implied that both level trees were important. Maybe some players don't pay attention, but i really enjoyed it. It's worth playing if only for the imagery and the locations you go to.

#40 Posted by spankingaddict (2662 posts) -

Yeah, this game is NOTHING Special...

#41 Posted by LongMasterWolf (171 posts) -

I liked the game quite a bit, thought it was a fun hack 'em up. I wouldn't say I got totally invested in the game, but seeing how they interpreted the book was great, I was always waiting to see how the next level of hell looked and loved Virgil's dialogue.  

Overall I say give the game a try, maybe get drunk and play through it on normal.

#42 Posted by CaptainFish (454 posts) -

Obviously Ryan isn't playing at a super high level. For example, he's not doing any blocks or counters.You can't deny that there are some pretty terrible design decisions. Forcing instant fail challenges to finish the game. Penalizing characters for not speccing one way or another*. Dodging doesn't extend the combo counter. There's no timer or fade on the combo numbers to let you know how much time you have. Enemies don't spawn in at a more constant rate.

Also challenges like this are never great. Darksiders had them at the start (although they never got as tough as the 9th ring in Inferno). It feels contrived and forces you to use skills that aren't always needed for the rest of the game. It's fine to add an extra challenge for extras like in Batman or God of War 1/2, but if those skills are necessary they should be rolled in more smoothly. GoW did a decent job by making enemies that are susceptible to juggling, or placing you in rooms that are closing in on you.

No game ever requires you to combo an entire group. It's a goal to try and achieve, and if it gives you bonus experience or something that's fine positive reinforcement. It should never be required to finish a game.

*The idea of being underleveled for a boss doesn't apply here, because you can't go back and relevel more.

#43 Posted by NTM (7344 posts) -
@MAN_FLANNEL said:
Yeah, he did. I was on the harder difficulties and I beat it on my second try.
#44 Posted by Hailinel (24429 posts) -

@NTM said:

@MAN_FLANNEL said:
Yeah, he did. I was on the harder difficulties and I beat it on my second try.

Did you have the same specs as him? Had you played through the game before on easier difficulties? Your statement hardly provides evidence that Ryan sucked at the game. (Which is altogether possible, but still.)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.