Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Apr 01, 2015

A remastered release of Dark Souls II, featuring a graphical upgrade, increased online player limit, remixed locations for items and enemies, and includes all of the previously released DLC.

Botched player and camera movement just on PC?

spurio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By spurio

Firstly the player movement,

DS1 behaviour, slowly move the left stick on your controller in a circle. You will see your character move in a circle on screen.

DS2 behaviour, make the same circular motion on the left stick slowly. You will see your character move in a sort of square with harsh angled turns. After testing this you will notice walking around in DS2 your character only really moves in 8 directions like the stick is working as a DPAD not in true analog mode as it should.

This makes sections where careful movement is required infuriating.

Secondly The camera movement.

DS1 behaviour, move the right stick on your controller slowly from the center out to furthest point left or right. You will feel a smooth analog movement from the moment you move the stick in a gradual build up until hitting the furthest point at which the camera with be rotating at top speed.

DS2 behaviour, again move the stick slowly from the center outwards. You will see the camera doesn't start moving until you reach around one third tilt, then the camera with start to rotate. After two thirds the camera is now rotating full speed. Its like 3 distinct stages of movement (or more like 2 as the first doesn't move at all), not smooth analog movement like the first game.

This makes the camera movement on the right stick feel very swimmy and twitchy.

These issues kinda ruin the game for me. I'm wondering if they are the same across different controllers and platforms?

Any feedback is much appreciated.

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

I'm playing on PC and have had zero issues stemming from movement or camera, but interesting you noticed. I guess I'm not as sensitive to stuff like that unless its really egregious and hindering my progress.

Loafsmooch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That does sound weird. I don't use a controller for these games but considering they never fixed the mouse button lag it's not surprising there are other issues. Still having to use an autohotkey script to get rid of the lag, even in Scholar edition.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Yeah I also noticed when I first played Dark Souls II on the PS3 the movement felt off, but I didn't know how to articulate it. It felt even worse when I played my friend's 360 copy.

shorap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Have that issue on the pc version with an xbox one controller. On a lark I rented the ps4 version and it has the same problem. Lowering the camera sensitivity all the way down helps a bit but it still feels off.

DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I just tried this on the PC version and did not have any of these issues. I was using an xbox 360 controller, for reference.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I have DS2 on PS3, PS4, XB1 and PC. I have never seen or had this issue with the movement or camera.

And yes I know, who in their right mind buys the same game so many times. This nut, that is who.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By TheHT

That's just the game dude. It's one of the reasons why I absolutely hated this thing when I first played it (PS3). Feels like a knock-off Souls game.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

...I thought DS2's controls were a little smoother than the first's.

jimipeppr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I have noticed the player movement thing, but it hasn't caused any problems actually playing the game. Getting the right lighting/angle on my character's cool poses can be a bit problematic sometimes, though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.