12 minutes of Dark Souls II gameplay footage + Trailer

#201 Posted by gogosox82 (424 posts) -

@mordeaniischaos said:

Gameplay seems hardly changed at all, which is a bummer, but it was a short clip, so hopefully there's a lot more to it.

I am in no way a "high level" Dark Souls player, but I could tell there were a lot of small, subtle changes to the nature of combat by the encounters they showed off. From mini-bosses being able to "block" backstabs to the movement speed of the player character being doubled (it seemed to be twice as fast anyhow), to swing animations being shorter and dodge rolls seemingly easier to pull off (and bloody quick, too). If anything it seems like Dark Souls 2 is going to be a faster playing game, but From Software isn't sacrificing the core nature of the combat in order to get there.

I didn't think the demo was mind blowing, but I was pretty happy when I saw it and the game looked, well, like Dark Souls. And the little touches like the dynamic camera angle during the walk on the bridge were nice. I don't think they'll do those little flourishes all the time, but it certainly seems like they're picking their spots for maximum effectiveness.

Also the UI is better in DS2 hands down. Then again it's not hard to beat the shit-flung UI of Dark Souls.

This ^ I will also point out that you have three item slots for weapons instead of two. You can also dual wield. There was really no point in DKS b/c you would use up more stamina dual wielding than if you just two handed one weapon or used a sword and shield. It also looks like you can equip more items in your item slot and see what's next in the slot. We saw no humanity at all and that would be really huge since that was a major gameplay feature of the last game. You can also use a bow while moving which again is HUGE new gameplay feature (which is already becoming a little controversial). It also looks like you can be locked on to an enemy and miss if you use the strong attack, again and big new gameplay feature. I don't see how anyone could watch that video and say there's no new gameplay features.

#202 Posted by Morbid_Coffee (955 posts) -

So hey, Namco-Bandai just confirmed that the lead platform for Dark Souls is going to be PC, and the PC version will have 60 FPS native support.

UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH JIZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

#203 Posted by Gargantuan (1883 posts) -

So hey, Namco-Bandai just confirmed that the lead platform for Dark Souls is going to be PC, and the PC version will have 60 FPS native support.

UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH JIZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

#204 Posted by Aegon (5706 posts) -

So hey, Namco-Bandai just confirmed that the lead platform for Dark Souls is going to be PC, and the PC version will have 60 FPS native support.

UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH JIZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Wow...that's a move I did not expect, but I like it.

#205 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

@oldirtybearon said:

@mordeaniischaos said:

Gameplay seems hardly changed at all, which is a bummer, but it was a short clip, so hopefully there's a lot more to it.

I am in no way a "high level" Dark Souls player, but I could tell there were a lot of small, subtle changes to the nature of combat by the encounters they showed off. From mini-bosses being able to "block" backstabs to the movement speed of the player character being doubled (it seemed to be twice as fast anyhow), to swing animations being shorter and dodge rolls seemingly easier to pull off (and bloody quick, too). If anything it seems like Dark Souls 2 is going to be a faster playing game, but From Software isn't sacrificing the core nature of the combat in order to get there.

I didn't think the demo was mind blowing, but I was pretty happy when I saw it and the game looked, well, like Dark Souls. And the little touches like the dynamic camera angle during the walk on the bridge were nice. I don't think they'll do those little flourishes all the time, but it certainly seems like they're picking their spots for maximum effectiveness.

Also the UI is better in DS2 hands down. Then again it's not hard to beat the shit-flung UI of Dark Souls.

This ^ I will also point out that you have three item slots for weapons instead of two. You can also dual wield. There was really no point in DKS b/c you would use up more stamina dual wielding than if you just two handed one weapon or used a sword and shield. It also looks like you can equip more items in your item slot and see what's next in the slot. We saw no humanity at all and that would be really huge since that was a major gameplay feature of the last game. You can also use a bow while moving which again is HUGE new gameplay feature (which is already becoming a little controversial). It also looks like you can be locked on to an enemy and miss if you use the strong attack, again and big new gameplay feature. I don't see how anyone could watch that video and say there's no new gameplay features.

I forgot how Souls players take just about anything as a big departure. The only real fundamental change is the lack of humanity. There are a lot of small things, and if dual wielding is ACTUALLY viable that'll be interesting. But again. These are small, if not relatively. Not a lot of real deep changes, just tweaks. Important ones? Sure. But it's just taking a number that already existed for the most part and just adding or subtracting from it.

#206 Posted by gogosox82 (424 posts) -

@gogosox82 said:

@oldirtybearon said:

@mordeaniischaos said:

Gameplay seems hardly changed at all, which is a bummer, but it was a short clip, so hopefully there's a lot more to it.

I am in no way a "high level" Dark Souls player, but I could tell there were a lot of small, subtle changes to the nature of combat by the encounters they showed off. From mini-bosses being able to "block" backstabs to the movement speed of the player character being doubled (it seemed to be twice as fast anyhow), to swing animations being shorter and dodge rolls seemingly easier to pull off (and bloody quick, too). If anything it seems like Dark Souls 2 is going to be a faster playing game, but From Software isn't sacrificing the core nature of the combat in order to get there.

I didn't think the demo was mind blowing, but I was pretty happy when I saw it and the game looked, well, like Dark Souls. And the little touches like the dynamic camera angle during the walk on the bridge were nice. I don't think they'll do those little flourishes all the time, but it certainly seems like they're picking their spots for maximum effectiveness.

Also the UI is better in DS2 hands down. Then again it's not hard to beat the shit-flung UI of Dark Souls.

This ^ I will also point out that you have three item slots for weapons instead of two. You can also dual wield. There was really no point in DKS b/c you would use up more stamina dual wielding than if you just two handed one weapon or used a sword and shield. It also looks like you can equip more items in your item slot and see what's next in the slot. We saw no humanity at all and that would be really huge since that was a major gameplay feature of the last game. You can also use a bow while moving which again is HUGE new gameplay feature (which is already becoming a little controversial). It also looks like you can be locked on to an enemy and miss if you use the strong attack, again and big new gameplay feature. I don't see how anyone could watch that video and say there's no new gameplay features.

I forgot how Souls players take just about anything as a big departure. The only real fundamental change is the lack of humanity. There are a lot of small things, and if dual wielding is ACTUALLY viable that'll be interesting. But again. These are small, if not relatively. Not a lot of real deep changes, just tweaks. Important ones? Sure. But it's just taking a number that already existed for the most part and just adding or subtracting from it.

Well, that's not what you said. You said "gameplay is hardly changed". Now your saying that there are some changes that could change the way the game is played. I think there are other things as well but most of it is just speculation at this point since this is just 12 minutes gameplay demo.

#207 Posted by JackSukeru (5922 posts) -

So hey, Namco-Bandai just confirmed that the lead platform for Dark Souls is going to be PC, and the PC version will have 60 FPS native support.

UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH JIZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

That's awesome, where did you hear this?

#208 Edited by Morbid_Coffee (955 posts) -

@jacksukeru:

Neogaf thread

tl;dr summary of the interview: PC Dark Souls 2 is the definitive version this time around. Console version will still be locked at 30 FPS, but a solid 30 without dropping. Also the game will not be ported to next gen consoles.

#209 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4606 posts) -

@aegon said:

@morbid_coffee said:

So hey, Namco-Bandai just confirmed that the lead platform for Dark Souls is going to be PC, and the PC version will have 60 FPS native support.

UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH JIZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Wow...that's a move I did not expect, but I like it.

that's what she said.

#210 Posted by Aegon (5706 posts) -

@aegon said:

@morbid_coffee said:

So hey, Namco-Bandai just confirmed that the lead platform for Dark Souls is going to be PC, and the PC version will have 60 FPS native support.

UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH JIZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Wow...that's a move I did not expect, but I like it.

that's what she said.

Keep it classy.

#211 Posted by kishinfoulux (2402 posts) -

Really bummed this isn't being developed, with next gen consoles in mind first. :-/

With its art direction and style the game would look amazing on the next set of consoles/PC.

#212 Edited by deadmoscow (265 posts) -

I'll probably use Dark Souls 2 as an excuse to finally, finally upgrade my gaming PC. Well, upgrade isn't the right word...maybe "complete overhaul" would be more fitting. 60FPS sounds niiiiiiice

#213 Posted by MentalDisruption (1645 posts) -

PC being the lead platform is the best news I've heard all week.

#214 Posted by mordukai (7157 posts) -

I just started the first one, having abandoned Demon's Souls thinking it's probably inferior. So far though, Dark Souls plays almost exactly like Demon's Souls.

I would actually argue that Dark Souls is inferior but then again there's more love on this site for Dark Souls then Demon's Souls.

#215 Posted by ripelivejam (4312 posts) -

so people have finally stopped complaining about the pc port of dark souls being shoddy i hope. i actually think it's pretty amazing that a japanese developer would put ANY effort into developing for pc. and it wasn't like they spent months not doing anything for it and a modder fixed it in a few hours; they added a good chunk of new content (i assume) was specific for its release, only later to be added for PS3/360 versions. also they admitted they had no knowledge of pc development going in. basically people got exactly what they wanted and from software was transparent about it from the start, so there was entirely no reason to complain. that said it's heartening to know DS2 is being developed for PC from the start.

sorry for a possibly redundant rant as my blood boiled after reading some asshat posts on pc gamer.

#217 Posted by JohnnytheFuture (11 posts) -

@mordukai said:

@boiglenoight said:

I just started the first one, having abandoned Demon's Souls thinking it's probably inferior. So far though, Dark Souls plays almost exactly like Demon's Souls.

I would actually argue that Dark Souls is inferior but then again there's more love on this site for Dark Souls then Demon's Souls.

I'm really curious as to how you'd argue Demon's Souls is superior to Dark Souls.

#218 Edited by Boiglenoight (537 posts) -

@mordukai said:

@boiglenoight said:

I just started the first one, having abandoned Demon's Souls thinking it's probably inferior. So far though, Dark Souls plays almost exactly like Demon's Souls.

I would actually argue that Dark Souls is inferior but then again there's more love on this site for Dark Souls then Demon's Souls.

I'm really curious as to how you'd argue Demon's Souls is superior to Dark Souls.

The more I play of Dark Souls, the more polished it seems overall which I guess is what one should expect. People are still jerks invading my game though. :)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.