4Gamer interview with Miyazaki and Shibuya.

#1 Posted by arch4non (428 posts) -

Here's the full article in Japanese, here's the translation over on NeoGAF.

What really stood out to me in this article was the following bit:

4Gamer: You spoke about already having a large fan base, but how are you planning to adjust the difficult in Dark Souls II? To be honest, I can’t help but think that the needs of your existing fans and that of new players might be conflicting.

Shibuya: Just as you say, it’s a difficult proposition. That’s why we plan on making the early parts of the game comparatively less difficult to ease new players in, and then at a certain point, we’ll tell them “this is where the real game begins.”

4Gamer: So, a “The real Demon’s Souls starts here.” type of thing?

Shibuya: Exactly. In reality, I’m sure we’ll get quite a few new players with Dark Souls II, but existing players will probably represent the majority, so we need to make sure we satisfy their needs.

It reads to me like they're just going to make the introduction to the game a lot smoother and probably teach new players how to play a bit better. I highly doubt they would add some sort of easy mode.

#2 Posted by Giantstalker (1447 posts) -

I agree with this thinking. To be fair, though, even at the time the Undead Asylum wasn't particularly challenging.

4Gamer:
Speaking of which, Miyazaki-san said that you will run dedicated servers to support the online system for the game. Will multiplayer aspects be a focus in Dark Souls II?

Shibuya:
Yes. At the center we have the gameplay of a strong standalone game, and from there we focus our efforts on adding online elements and multiplayer elements that utilize the dedicated servers.

More than anything else, I hope they take a good long look at how online was integrated into the game. A lot of it was good, but some of it was just lacking or downright confusing.

#3 Posted by Animasta (14466 posts) -

@Giantstalker said:

I agree with this thinking. To be fair, though, even at the time the Undead Asylum wasn't particularly challenging.

That boss can wreck you if you don't know what's up.

#4 Posted by TheHT (10318 posts) -

good to know. some more explanations and what not would probably do the trick without needing to make the beggining play significantly easier.

#5 Posted by Giantstalker (1447 posts) -

@Animasta said:

A parable for the game as a whole, really.

#6 Posted by Animasta (14466 posts) -

@Giantstalker said:

@Animasta said:

A parable for the game as a whole, really.

yeah but eventually you earn a base level of understanding of the controls and how it plays and shit, you don't really get that until, like, the bell gargoyles imo

#7 Posted by Ares42 (2448 posts) -

@Giantstalker said:

The problem was more that when exiting Undead Asylum you had not been introduced to several key aspects of the game. I would say the proper starting point of the game is after you meet Andre. By then you have learned about bonfires, levelling and upgrades, you have found several weapons so you understand they all act very differently, you have found a few different shields so you can see their different effects and you've got the introduction to online play.

#8 Posted by golguin (3674 posts) -

As long as they know that the majority of players who buy the game will be well aware of the Souls series then it will be fine. There's no point in pissing off your base for an imaginary buyer.

#9 Posted by JackSukeru (5819 posts) -

I really like that Miyazaki guy, he seems very earnest and straightforward.

His mention of the decision of not selling individual items as DLC got me thinking there's a possibility that Dark Souls II will get other types of DLC eventually, in the same vein as Artorias of the Abyss, and with the way things goes it may have already been decided that they'll make some. Kind of weird to think about this now.

#10 Posted by Animasta (14466 posts) -

@JackSukeru said:

I really like that Miyazaki guy, he seems very earnest and straightforward.

His mention of the decision of not selling individual items as DLC got me thinking there's a possibility that Dark Souls II will get other types of DLC eventually, in the same vein as Artorias of the Abyss, and with the way things goes it may have already been decided that they'll make some. Kind of weird to think about this now.

they should sell individual items as DLC, but it should make you more likely to be invaded by phantoms, even if undead.

I think it'd be pretty funny and very dark soulsy

#11 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

Who cares just play it on the hardest difficulty it will probably be harder, thats why you guys like it right?

#12 Posted by arch4non (428 posts) -

@JackSukeru: I'm pretty sure Miyazaki said his greatest failure with Dark Souls was the fact they had to release updates for it. He really wanted to deliver a full, 100% complete game and was initially against the idea of any sort of updates or DLC. Sort of the opposite of this year's PLEASE STOP award.

#13 Posted by Morbid_Coffee (952 posts) -

I've stopped worrying about theories of "easy mode" and now I just want them to start showing me in game footage of a player being fucked up by a giant boss monster. Then I'll be happy.

#14 Posted by Ares42 (2448 posts) -

People focus too much on the possibility of them dumbing it down. There are other much more important quotes in that interview, like:

4Gamer:

I’d like to talk more about Dark Souls II. Is there any connection to the original in terms of the feel of the world?

Shibuya:

It’s not a sequel in terms of story, but that doesn’t mean the feel of the world is completely different. The game is set in the same world as the previous title, but the story takes place in a different location and with different humans (players).

and:

4Gamer:

Is there anything you are you focusing on in particular.

Shibuya:

It’s really hard for me to put it into words, but one aspect is the visual scene and atmosphere of each location. I really want to give those things more depth. Above all, what I want to do most is to incorporate a lot of “ideas that utilize the player’s attentiveness.”

#15 Posted by Animasta (14466 posts) -

@Ares42: maybe the game takes place in Caterina or Thorlund or THE GREAT SWAMPS

actually the great swamps just sounds like blight town 24/7 so maybe not the great swamps

#16 Posted by JackSukeru (5819 posts) -

@Ares42: Overall I had a very positive reaction to the various things brought up in the interview and it laid some possible worries to rest. But I was also never under the impression that the sky was falling after the inital announcement & interview so take that for what you will.

@arch4non: Yeah I know and I think that's cool, but I also think some decisions like that (the decision to create DLC) might be out of his hands, and if they are I'm at least somewhat optimistic that they, if anyone, would handle it in a way that didn't make it feel like a part was missing from the game. Y'know, since they had this whole philosophy. Anyway too early to tell.

@Animasta: That might backfire though if the items are too powerful or the people just enjoy getting invaded.

@Bourbon_Warrior: Who left the door open? Now it smells like codblops in here! :P

#17 Posted by Animasta (14466 posts) -

@JackSukeru: just make it so it escalates more and more and you get invaded by like 10 people at a time

#18 Posted by JackSukeru (5819 posts) -

@Animasta: I'm on board, so long as they work it into the lore somehow, like the weapons are cursed or something.

#19 Posted by Lysergica33 (480 posts) -

So... GOTY 2014 then? Praise the sun! \o/

#20 Posted by Turambar (6489 posts) -

For example, if the player sees blood flowing towards them, they’ll think “what is this blood?” “Where is it coming from?” Situations like that. I want to create more situations that bring about doubt in the player—make them think “why?”—or give them a sense of foreboding death wherever they go. I want to focus on creating really elaborate environments that may look like nothing special at first, but may contain paths for players who are look closely enough.

This line got my attention, since it can go multiple ways and would be symbolic for a potential general direction of the game. If those scenarios will involve camera pans centering on the point of interest, I'm gonna be disappointed. But if it means more cases like the boulder traps at Sens Fortress where the stairs that the boulders roll down on are all heavily visually worn, thus giving you an indirect hint of the hazards ahead, then Shibuya, you're going in the right direction.

#21 Edited by phrosnite (3517 posts) -

Anor Londo - where the real Dark Souls starts and ends :D

Let's hope the same doesn't happen with DSII.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.