Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls II

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Mar 11, 2014

Blood, souls, and tears are continually spent as players traverse the land of Drangleic in FromSoftware's third entry in the Souls series.

Any worthwhile boss soul weapons?

Batavist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

The Petrified Dragon Bones seem rather scarce, and I'm really not sure what weapon can become powerful, I like the twinblade but it seems quite weak compared to my bastard sword & claymore (I am a quality build 30 STR and 27 DEX right now, negligible INT for magic scaling).

So, any boss weapons that are worthwhile to put Dragon Bones in, any recommendations?

(btw really liking the Red Rust Scimitar bought from Vengarl!)

VioleGrace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By VioleGrace

I just started a str build and i would like to know that too , one thing i know is that dragonrider bow hits really hard , that's one of the weapons i am looking forward on getting , still not sure which melee weapon i should get and make my main yet .

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

I really liked the Persuer Greatdword

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

dragonrider bow is pretty nice. I did mytha's bent blade +5 on my first character, seems to good only if the enemy can be poisoned that is.

shaggydude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

I would wait to upgrade with the dragon bones until you meet Ornifex, because she has even more boss soul weapons and you will have more boss souls by the time you find her. I'm doing a Strength build and she's got a butcher knife with life drain and a hammer that requires 50 Str. The Smelter Sword is probably my favorite boss soul weapon I've tried so far, but it's pretty heavy and it degrades quickly.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There will be normal enemies in a late game area that drops bones. I believe there are 4 of them per spawn though, so you still won't get too many of them.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By CaLe

Sorry this isn't related to anything, but why is a high STR and DEX build called a 'quality' build?

gatehouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By gatehouse
    @cale said:

Sorry this isn't related to anything, but why is a high STR and DEX build called a 'quality' build?

I've always wondered this too. But hey, that's always been the terminology.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Sterling

@cale: It goes back to Demon's Souls. You could upgrade a weapon to be even in both dex and str with a clear stone for a quality weapon. So the built to have high stats in both was then considered a quality build since then.

As for boss weapons, I redeemed souls for many of them, and none were as good as regular weapons in my opinion. At least not for my play style. Some of them seemed cool, but just didn't seem quite as powerful as others.

Batavist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sterling: Yeah, seems none are really better than the regular weapons, twinkling titanite ones are awesome though, really love whipping with my old whip!

@marz: I'll check out mytha's blade, poison drains life right out of everyone (including me), so that might be fun!

@shaggydude: Met Ornifex: so far still nothing jumps out.

How many petrified bones to fully upgrade a weapon?

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Pretty much every boss soul weapon is good with an ideal build for it and fully upgraded, you'll probably only be able to upgrade one fully per playthrough so choose wisely.

@chaoot: 15 Bones to fully upgrade.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Turambar
    @gatehouse said:
    @cale said:

I've always wondered this too. But hey, that's always been the terminology.

That was the terminology used in Demon's Souls, where specific stones were used to upgrade "quality weapons", which always had both STR and DEX scaling. Hard stones for STR, Sharp Stones for DEX, and Clear stones for quality.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really like the spiked club you can make from the Flexile Demon's soul, but even that weapon isn't as powerful as my plain old mace. I use it as a backup, since maces are apparently made of glass.

Besides that... nothin. They're all too damn weak.

seveword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By seveword

I didn't make it because I didn't have the stats for it, but I think an ultra greatsword you can make from a certain royal soul sounded like it degraded the opponent's equipment with each hit. Dunno if that's what it actually does. Seeing as how my first character was a str/faith build and there appear to be zero weapons in the game that strictly require that setup, I was happy to just chuck lightning spears and use a mace as a backup. None of the boss weapons fit my build at all, most require a degree of dexterity I didn't have, so I just popped all the boss souls for sweet leveling goodness.

thebunnyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I put all my dragonbones into maxing out the Curved Dragon Great Sword, fully maxed it has S dex scaling and a damage of 400 before taking in your stats....it also has a very useful heavy attack.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There is one really cool one you can't get until super late game. But the damage scales with how many souls you are holding.

gerrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I used the pursuers great sword at +5 for a lot of bosses and it did a tonne of damage. The Smelter sword r2 is awesome and one shots many enemies but degrades so quickly.

The dragon rider bow at just +2 already does twice the damage of a hunter bow +8.

I also like the Kings shield for its very low weight

Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 12

Pursuer greatsword is outperformed by regular Greatsword, even at max rank, and has a comparable moveset.

Dragonrider Bow is the only really good early game one imo, I used it a ton.

From my impressions, it seems the only good boss soul weapons are super late game, or even NG+/Ascetic'd bosses. Some of the lord soul bosses are barely any more difficult with an ascetic so I'd recommend doing that if you're at least SL 120.

Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 12

@sterling said:

There is one really cool one you can't get until super late game. But the damage scales with how many souls you are holding.

Have you used/maxed this out? Curious to know what its output is like.

ADAMWD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

They're just not that good. The Smelter Demon's sword looks badass and has a crazy power attack that creates a fire explosion, but that weapon is so heavy and makes your character move super slow that it just isn't worth it considering it doesn't do that much damage anyways. Also, it requires 40 STR to wield.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@adamwd said:

They're just not that good. The Smelter Demon's sword looks badass and has a crazy power attack that creates a fire explosion, but that weapon is so heavy and makes your character move super slow that it just isn't worth it considering it doesn't do that much damage anyways. Also, it requires 40 STR to wield.

Pfft, only 40? I've got 55.

Dat Havel Greatshield

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The best all around shield in the game is the Defender's Shield which is from a late game boss soul (havel's is the only shield that legitimately beats it.... too bad Havel's also weighs 20 pounds), and the Dragonrider's Bow is must have for a strength based character. I hit harder with that bow at +3 using a wood arrow than I do with my +10 fire longsword. All of the king soul items are also really nice too but require some crazy stats for the swords.

What annoys me is half the souls either turn into two handed weapons like great swords or ultra great swords or shields. There is not even one good small weapon (straight sword / mace / one hand axe) from a boss soul unless you are high dex and even then there are still better options.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oni said:

@sterling said:

Have you used/maxed this out? Curious to know what its output is like.

I got it, but haven't tested it yet. Waiting to build up a bunch of souls, like 200K and see what the damage is like.

EsperH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By EsperH

Anyone have any recommendations for a Max out build, I know this is late but I have a lvl 838 with all stats 99 and I was wondering what boss trade weapon would be best, it also has to have a good move set.

Wanno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.