Anybody else get into the beta?

#1 Posted by Zeik (2364 posts) -

So apparently I've been invited to participate in this beta thingamajig. Which is crazy, since I never actually signed up and I never win anything, much less stuff I don't actively attempt to win. But I'm not complaining.

I can't be the only one who got in, right?

#2 Edited by Bocam (3719 posts) -

You can get into the beta by using this Universal Code [US Accounts only]:

2QMR-TNNA-G7BN

For faster redemption, redeem right from your PC here.

#3 Posted by Zeik (2364 posts) -

Shhhh, if too many people get in we may not be able to play at all!

That would really be the worst. Get me all excited about playing and then spend the whole time dealing with server errors. That's totally what's going to happen, isn't it? >_>

#4 Posted by Bocam (3719 posts) -

@zeik: It's limited to 5000 uses

#5 Posted by Zeik (2364 posts) -

I was half-joking, but alright then. How many people are expected to be invited to this beta?

#6 Posted by Bleshoo (126 posts) -

I was lucky enough to get in.

#7 Posted by Morningstar (2150 posts) -

I don't want to get in. I want to start the full game unspoiled.

#8 Posted by Ares42 (2623 posts) -

is it heavily NDAd, or will we see user videos all over the place ?

#9 Posted by Bleshoo (126 posts) -

@ares42: There is an NDA in place, but I've seen people posting footage anyway.

#10 Edited by Zeik (2364 posts) -

Yeah, the beta site says no images or video are allowed to be posted online from the beta. I'm sure some will do it anyway, but not me.

#11 Edited by Fredchuckdave (5353 posts) -

I got the code in a message but was too late to do anything with it; it's 2 hours so not really missing out on that much but since I know how the process works and the timing now I'll probably be able to get in the next batch. Certainly not worth as much as Hearthstone beta key.

#12 Posted by Sterling (2164 posts) -

The code they sent me didn't work. So I assume I was too late to redeem it. Oh well. I like @morningstar would rather go in knowing absolutely nothing about the game. That makes it all that much more fun.

#13 Posted by hamcat (1 posts) -

I got one too that didn't work, we just have to wait until the 12th, correct?

#14 Posted by Bleshoo (126 posts) -

@hamcat: The codes that went out last night are for the 12th. You're out of luck until the next beta, which is on the 22nd I think.

#15 Posted by Carlos1408 (1500 posts) -

Praise the Sun! \±/

Like other have said before me, and as much as I want to play that game, I'd rather go in blind. :D

#16 Edited by TheHT (11147 posts) -

@bocam said:

For faster redemption, redeem right from your PC here.

Whoa, what? Is it launching on PC day and date with consoles? Well shit, I just may play it on the PC then. That's gonna be super weird.

#17 Edited by Branwulf (403 posts) -

Not day and date I don't think, same month though.

I got an invitation anyway, i'm from the UK.

#18 Edited by Roland_D11 (189 posts) -

@theht: It will launch in the same month on PC, they even said that the port should be better that the Dark Souls port The Beta is PS3 only, but you can redeem codes for the Beta using a browser.

I got in as well (UK PSN), I will play it for an hour just to get a feel for the movement and the combat.

#19 Edited by Branwulf (403 posts) -

@theht: It will launch in the same month on PC, they even said that the port should be better that the Dark Souls port The Beta is PS3 only, but you can redeem codes for the Beta using a browser.

I got in as well (UK PSN), I will play it for an hour just to get a feel for the movement and the combat.

Well it's only up for 2 hours on Saturday anyway :P

#20 Edited by samcroft90 (95 posts) -

Just got in the first UK batch, does anyone know the local time for this Saturday? 7pm-9pm?

#21 Posted by Branwulf (403 posts) -

Just got in the first UK batch, does anyone know the local time for this Saturday? 7pm-9pm?

20:00 to 22:00 BST

#22 Posted by Roland_D11 (189 posts) -

@branwulf: Yes, I saw that it is two hours when I finally got through to the beta page to get my voucher code. That website is extremely slow at the moment.

#23 Posted by JCHenderson (121 posts) -

So it is only available for two hours? If so I have to get up at 0600 in Australia to have a crack at it.

#24 Edited by Mustachio (242 posts) -

Fully downloaded and ready to go. The start menu will have to tide me over for now, but on Saturday I'll be all holy miracle magic up in this baby.

#25 Edited by Ezekiel (412 posts) -

Someone, please take off your clothes and take pictures so that I can see the proportions and faces of the male and female characters.

#26 Edited by ripelivejam (3803 posts) -

suck a fuck, that damn code was exhausted already :'(

tanks a lot oamba

#27 Posted by Branwulf (403 posts) -

I think there's an NDA though I can't find it on the DS2 Playstation beta site, if there isn't I will try and stream it.

#28 Posted by Timing (619 posts) -
@branwulf said:

I think there's an NDA though I can't find it on the DS2 Playstation beta site, if there isn't I will try and stream it.

For what it's worth, the agreement on the site states that you can't discuss any information regarding the beta with anyone except NAMCO/FROM and other beta testers. But there are already plenty of videos of the Japanese version on YouTube, and everyone's guaranteed to be talking about it on public forums everywhere.

By the way I also got in. Downloaded and patched yesterday, looking forward to playing tomorrow.

#29 Posted by Branwulf (403 posts) -

@timing: I sent the UK PSN team an email but I doubt i'll get a reply before the beta starts, we'll see.

#30 Posted by Zeik (2364 posts) -
@timing said:
@branwulf said:

For what it's worth, the agreement on the site states that you can't discuss any information regarding the beta with anyone except NAMCO/FROM and other beta testers. But there are already plenty of videos of the Japanese version on YouTube, and everyone's guaranteed to be talking about it on public forums everywhere.

By the way I also got in. Downloaded and patched yesterday, looking forward to playing tomorrow.

I read through the beta site and I saw that you couldn't post video or images, but I saw nothing about not being able to discuss it.

#31 Posted by Timing (619 posts) -
@zeik said:
@timing said:
@branwulf said:

I read through the beta site and I saw that you couldn't post video or images, but I saw nothing about not being able to discuss it.

It's in the link in the bottom-right that says 'Confidential'.

#32 Edited by Zeik (2364 posts) -

@timing: This is still the only line I can find that could possibly refer to that.

The Network Test Play Agreement forbids participants from publicly releasing images, video or other content from the network test via the Internet or any other media.

The "other content" could mean you can't discuss it, but that seems too vague for that to be enforceable. Although I doubt they'd bother enforcing that anyway.

#33 Posted by Timing (619 posts) -

@zeik: Then it's probably only in the European agreement. It explicitly states not to discuss the beta. I'd quote the paragraph but, you know... it's confidential.

#34 Posted by Branwulf (403 posts) -

Yeah there's a pretty strict NDA in place, oh well.

#35 Posted by Timing (619 posts) -

#36 Posted by arch4non (443 posts) -

I managed to beat both of the bosses during the network test.

#37 Posted by announakis (114 posts) -

I got my beta ticket but could not play the game (5 am to 7 am on a saturday night).

will have to wait the 27th T_T'

#38 Posted by me3639 (1753 posts) -

Just watched KVO on his beta play through. That 2 sickle enemy, simply terrifying.

#39 Posted by Jackel2072 (2254 posts) -

So I'm guessing I could no longer get in huh?

#40 Posted by Zeik (2364 posts) -

@jackel2072 said:

So I'm guessing I could no longer get in huh?

The next beta test is on the 27th. They'll be letting more people in and I believe they'll actually be posting the code on their facebook page this time (it's a universal code again), so if you keep your eye out you can probably get in.

#41 Posted by Aetheldod (3554 posts) -

@zeik: And whic FBpage? Atlus´s?

#42 Posted by Zeik (2364 posts) -

@aetheldod said:

@zeik: And whic FBpage? Atlus´s?

Why would it be Atlus's? They have nothing to do with this game.

Pretty sure this is the official page:

https://www.facebook.com/DarkSoulsII

#43 Posted by Aetheldod (3554 posts) -

@zeik: Thanks dude ... just saw that Demon Souls was distibuted by Atlus and Darksouls by Bandai , hence the confusion

#44 Posted by benspyda (2033 posts) -

Anyone have any recommendations for a beta playthrough video? There's a gamespot one I think, I just not sure which one to watch seeings GB haven't done one.

#45 Edited by Zeik (2364 posts) -

@benspyda said:

Anyone have any recommendations for a beta playthrough video? There's a gamespot one I think, I just not sure which one to watch seeings GB haven't done one.

The Kotaku video was alright, as long as you're not looking for in-depth analysis of the new mechanics.

http://kotaku.com/we-tried-the-dark-souls-2-beta-brutal-but-fun-1445072781

I haven't watched too many since I still plan to play in the next test.

#46 Posted by benspyda (2033 posts) -
#47 Posted by golguin (3876 posts) -

@zeik said:

@benspyda said:

The Kotaku video was alright, as long as you're not looking for in-depth analysis of the new mechanics.

http://kotaku.com/we-tried-the-dark-souls-2-beta-brutal-but-fun-1445072781

I haven't watched too many since I still plan to play in the next test.

I would recommend VaatiVidya and EpicNameBro on youtube for their Dark Souls 2 beta experience for an indepth discussion on the mechanic changes.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.