Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls II

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Mar 11, 2014

Blood, souls, and tears are continually spent as players traverse the land of Drangleic in FromSoftware's third entry in the Souls series.

Are you actually having fun?

• 120 results
    Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@zeik: Circle strafing in the direction of your enemies off-hand has been a quite successful go-to tactic for me. Circle strafing the Old Dragonslayer made him really easy as he kept forward charging. The pursuer took me two tries and I also simply strafed to the right and would occasionally roll when he charged up his sword. That fight was a close call because right near the end, with only about 1/5 of his lifebar left I got the dreaded red text that my shield was about to break, and I fat roll so dodging my way through this was not an option. Right before my shield completely broke I decided on a suicide run to hit him as many times as I could, hoping my lifebar somehow endured until he died. It was quite spectacular: he was one hit away from dying and I was on the end of my stamina with one swing left. I see him begin his heavy attack animation and start frantically hitting RB - I was just barely able to squeeze in my attack before his swing connected with me ending the fight.

It was the most satisfying boss battle of the game so far.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By Zeik

@petiew said:

I'm having fun. Played around 13 hours despite only getting the game on Friday. I feel like the leveling is far too weird though. I'm already Soul Level 96. 96 in 13 hours and 2 minutes seems insane to me. Aside from co-oping bosses 6 times I haven't gone out of my way to grind souls either.

I feel like each individual level is much less significant than it used to be, given that that there are more stats you need to invest in and a lot of the equipment seems to have stricter requirements than they used to. In Dark Souls you could get by fine just investing a bit into health and then dumping the rest into endurance and your offensive stat of choice. (At launch you could even neglect the offensive stat, since elemental weapons were king.) I'm noticing the difference the most with my Sorcerer. In the last two games it was very easy to make a hybrid Magic/Melee character, but in this one I have to pump a shit load of points into offensive stats to even use basic weapons.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

@humanity said:

@demoskinos said:

@zeik said:

@humanity: I don't think it WAS balanced in DkS1. The whole idea behind the animation priority is that you have to look for safe openings to heal. If you reach the point where you can just stand there and chug an estus flask without worrying about that anymore then I consider that a flaw in the mechanics. However, you could argue that DkS2 has taken it a bit too far with a combination of various mechanics that makes it very hard to find a safe moment to use them, but perhaps that's because there are other healing items and you're not supposed to rely completely on estus. Lifegems are generally much safer to pop.

I don't think the new healing mechanics are quite unfair to the player, but they are the least forgiving of any of the games so far, and definitely requires veteran players to rethink their approach.

Agreed. A lot of people need to learn that you don't want to heal after getting hit. First priority is getting your defenses back in order then as you said baiting an attack or waiting for one and using the recovery time off the enemies attack to heal instead of attack.

I'm all for tactical healing, believe me, but as Zeik mentioned I think they might have taken it a bit far when there is almost never a proper opening for using Flasks as opposed to stones. Even with a slow boss like the stone giant, he had to be at the very end of the room in order to pop the heal and have enough time for the animation to run it's course before I could bring my shield back up. During the Pursuer boss fight using an Estus is highly risky at best and simply impossible at worst.

At this point I've relegated Estus use to healing damage sustained from exploring new areas between bonfires. Any time I'm in an active engagement or a boss fight it's stones only. If that was the intended design then I guess I'm playing it properly, but it's strange to make the Estus flask nearly useless in combat after it was the mainstay in the first game. It's like they wanted to go back to the grasses from Demon's but the Estus was such a large part of the Dark Souls fiction they didn't want to do away with it completely, so they left it in but made it very impractical to use.

I'm still having fun. Helped some people with the Dragonrider fight. I always ran past the three knights in the middle so during one of my co-op runs it was very interesting to find out that there is a second switch that raises the very outer ring in that boss fight - huh who would've thought..

Do you have low adaptability? That affects a ton of stuff including how quick you raise your shield and drink your flask. I fought the pursuer and was able to heal just fine with a little space between us.

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pound for pound I'm probably having the most fun I've had with a souls game. I kind of ruined Dark Souls with wikis and an excessive amount of grinding (I fought Ornstien and Smough at over SL100 with a +5 Artorias Greatsword), and Demon's Souls for me is hard swings between hair-pulling-ly frustrating and stupid easy depending on my build.

My prior Souls experience has given me enough knowledge to be dangerous to my self. I'm not totally baffled by the systems, but enough is new and different that I'm just discovering new stuff rather than drowning in systems and information.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Humanity

@demoskinos: My adaptability is 15 and I was having a real rough time drinking with enough time to raise my shield back up.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

@humanity said:

@demoskinos: My adaptability is 15 and I was having a real rough time drinking with enough time to raise my shield back up.

Well huh don't know what to tell you. I have similarish stats and haven't had too much of a problem. Although, I've still been killed my fair share of times trying to heal especially at the beginning of the game.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can tell I love the game, and framerate drops and long loading aside(can't wait for the PC version), I like it alot more than the first. I'm not super far in, only played 3 or 4 hours and down like 4 bosses, but that wouldn't change what I like about the game and the changes I generally enjoy.

I like the blend of Dark Souls and Demon Souls the game has, leaning more in favor of Demons Souls which I overall liked more from a mechanical standpoint, than Dark Souls.

I'll probably play a ton of it still on console(maybe even complete it if I have enough time) but I'm mainly awaiting PC so I can get over these technical hurdles that definitely do hinder even more enjoyment I would get from the game.

EthanielRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#58  Edited By EthanielRain

This is easily one of my favorite games of all time. I feel super powerful, but the game world seems equally brutal. The combat feels really tight to me, love love love it! :D

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I LOVE THIS GAME SO GODDAMN MUCH!!!

I just wish that the blue covenant got more action. Maybe people just aren't being invaded too much yet, but I want to dish out some justice! I am the Batman of Dark Souls (in my eyes)

Kaos999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Kaos999

Yes and no actually, despawning enemies are a major plus for boss runs but the unnecessary changes to animations are a drag, giving the enemies even more of an advantage which has led to quite a few cheap deaths. I find it extremely irritating to get gangbanged in a small ass hallway with your weapon constantly being impeded by the walls while they have no problem not only passing thru walls but each other as well.

Skyrider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@afabs515: Yeah, I'm waiting for things to pick up for the Blue Sentinels as well. I won't see myself as Batman though, as I actually just want to give ganking a try as I'm new to pvp in the souls games.

Anywho, I'm loving this game so far. I feel like I'm having more fun in the early stages than I did with DkS1. The animation changes have taken some getting used to, but even when I was struggling with it I preferred it to the old ways.

Waffles13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Waffles13

Sounds like 90% of the problems people are having is related to low Adaptability. Up that to AT LEAST 20 and many of the annoyances of slow recovery times and animation delay disappear.

The early game is VERY good about giving you multiple places to go. From the start I believe you get 3 unique paths to explore, and within a couple bosses you get access to 2 or 3 more. If you're getting stuck on a boss, I'd say to just leave and come back 20-30 soul levels later.

Late game it becomes much more linear in an annoying way. Not bad by any means, but it's sort of the anti-DS1 in that the early game is super open but once you get the 4 big souls there's a pretty rigid series of areas you need to tackle with a couple of optional bits here and there.

NG+ on the other hand... Oh man. I kind of cruised through the first play through with only one or two real setbacks, but NG+ is nearly impossible for my build in spots (and I honestly don't see how any build could get past certain bosses). I like the idea of changing more than just health and damage values for a second playthrough, but it seems like they went a bit far with adding extra enemies to boss fights and whatnot. It's a shame, because there's apparently a story payoff for beating NG+, but I don't know if I have it in me to ever see it.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@waffles13: There's superbosses in NG to fight before you go on to NG+; and in general you'll probably need one of the best weapons in the game with a good build to do well.

shiro2809

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By shiro2809

I was fighting the Sentinel's and was getting frustrated to where I had to stop playing for a bit, then decided to go explore more and found other places before returning. I'm currently in the Undead Crypts and having a blast. Stuck on the boss though....should beat him tomorrow! I like it a LOT more than DaS, which because of the community I grew to not like. I love Demon's Souls and glad DaS2 brought back some things from it =D

EDIT: As Petiew said, the leveling seems a bit weird. I'm level 115 now with roughly 35 hours. seems a bit fast.

Waffles13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Waffles13

@fredchuckdave: There's definitely an area or two I missed; I was just super jazzed to go on to NG+. I didn't realize that the Flexile Sentry was going to be the hardest fucking thing in the world. It's super demoralizing.

I started a new character with a similar (but slightly more mobile) build. Hopefully that (combined with FULLY completing NG) will be enough to power me through NG+.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@waffles13: Save your effigies up then, you can't get into one of the areas without one for each and every life (don't have to be human, have to literally offer up the effigy).

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik said:

I feel like each individual level is much less significant than it used to be, given that that there are more stats you need to invest in and a lot of the equipment seems to have stricter requirements than they used to.

Yeah you're right about that. The game is balanced around higher soul levels since there are more categories to spread points across and higher requirements for a number of weapons/armour.
    It's just odd seeing such a high numbered soul level when I imagine I'm not even halfway through the game yet. I've also barely run into any merchants, and the ones I have met have limited stock or sell things that I haven't built towards (Two handed giant club all day, baby) which might have something to do with it as well.
    maginnovision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Having tons of fun. Took the week off but didn't get it until almost Thursday. Spent a TON of time exploring and figuring out where to go, dooming my way through walls, but still making good progress, even though aside from a STRENGTH bow, my dex build sort of seems foolish. Got three respecs though so I can change my mind whenever on that.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By audiosnow

I really am. I think it has too much influence from Demon's Souls, which I think is decisively lacking compared to Dark Souls, but I'm still having a ton of fun with it. It's the first game in about a year to get me to play more than an hour or two for more than a few days, as I expected it would be.

I do have some issues with the design:

• The shield delay is too long for some enemies to properly signal their attacks.
    • The world feels incohesive. In DaS, I felt like I was exploring a single world, above and below, often getting glimpses of areas I had already been or would eventually get to. Now, I feel like I'm exploring set levels.
    • There are too many bonfires and a lack of shortcuts. These only serve to exacerbate the feeling of level isolation.
    • The framerate is quite choppy on my PS3Slim; nothing to interfere with the gameplay, at least not like in DaS, but it's still noticeable.
    • Explosive Hollows are too powerful. At level sixty, a single one fully drains my stamina, usually staggering me. If a second is close behind (as they always are), he kills me instantly. This forces me to use cheap--and, more importantly, boring--tactics to defeat them.

EDIT: A ton of people are talking about how the game suddenly became much more fun when they ditched their shield and began dual-wielding. This is also an issue; both strategies should be equally viable, they shouldn't partially break one half of their combat puzzle to suit the other.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mlarrabee: I very much disagree that shields are not viable. They are very viable, they just aren't as amazing as they used to be. (Especially most medium shields, which were kind of stupidly good before.)

The main difference here is that you can't just sit there and tank every hit with your medium shield and still have enough stamina to attack and evade. If you want to do that you need a Greatshield now. Medium shields fill more of a lighter defense role now, where you're blocking a few lighter hits here and there but evading (or parrying) the massive hits as much as you can.

Getting used to the changes to medium shields was probably my biggest hurdle with this game, because my go to strategy in the other games was to find a good medium shields and block just about everything. Looking back I think that's why I had so much trouble with the early parts of the game, but once I adjusted I've done much much better. And frankly I think it's a smart change, because I shouldn't have been able to tank hits as well as a did with just a lightweight medium shield. Greatshields seemed so pointless before because medium shields took hits as well as I needed and could still parry.

VioleGrace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes i am having alot of fun , the game is even better than the first Dark souls because there are alot more bosses and challenge and the environment is overall better and more dark

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@zeik: Shield are viable for about 85% of the game on NG, can't say for NG+; there are maybe 6 dodge-only bosses.

RoaRawR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

pre-4 souls is kinda dull, bosses are more or less hack and slash and there is WAY to many knight hallows that make it less intreesting than DS1, but it gets better later on

BlackHeronBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

About 20 hours in and around level 75 (had some trouble with the sentinels because I forgot this is a Souls game and there's always another way to handle any situation if you're getting your ass handed to you) in and I'm still having fun, and it seems like I'm gonna be having fun to the end... and then again with a different character.

Vrikk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sure am!

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

After now finishing the game I take back my comment on not enjoying it half as much as Dark Souls. The environments and level design towards the end of the game are simply amazing. Looking back I think it was just the lack of knowing exactly where to go next that was annoying me and making me dislike the constant teleporting. I know I had some other things I could have done, but I finished it in just over 37 hours, so I dunno where the 80 hour figure comes from, unless that's to 100% the game or something... I look forward to going with a completely different playstyle when the PC version comes out, and I'll not marathon it like I did on PS3. 9/10 (was 7 for a good while).

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mlarrabee: I'm using a shield and finding that strategy perfectly fine for those who prefer it. I do think the delay between blocking-attacking/attacking-blocking is too large leaving me very open for no apparent reason - this is going beyond animation priority, it's like priority on top of priority. I'm steadily pumping adaptability so maybe that will change over time. Quite honestly I don't see the point in dual wielding, but I was never a fan of the mechanic in any game really. To me the games have always been about carefully using a shield to methodically progress forward. The limited healing and increased stagger susceptibility makes me think that a devil may care playstyle with dual swords is more trouble than it's worth. Then again, if thats your thing then thats your thing. As I personally prefer Demon's Souls I find some of the cues they took from their original great vision to be good. Not being able to teleport between bonfires for the first half of Dark Souls was ridiculously pointless. I would be all for going to healing grasses if the system was implemented better but now it's a weird middle ground between estus and healing items.

Agreed on exploding hollows, especially if you have a short range weapon. Framerate on the 360 has been surprisingly really great, going above 30 FPS in certain areas and hardly ever dropping below. The load times seem exponentially shorter compared to the PS3 as I've never seen a tool tip rotate on a loading screen even once.

shinjin977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Decided to do a 2hand/duel-wield/no-shield for my second run. Oh boy is it a different game. My heart start jumping every time an enemy swing anything bigger than a stick my way. So exciting.

bushpusherr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I've finished the game solo with a heavy melee build, and I'm about 1/4 of the way through on a new run with a Company of Champions sorcerer class. At this point I think this is my favorite Souls game of all three. The only area I felt was cheap and not a challenge-to-overcome type of thing was the Shrine of Amana, and I really enjoyed pretty much every other area. I think the mechanical changes they made are pretty much all for the better, especially for PvP, where the health stuff is really much more balanced.

The only place where I really got stuck (lost) was after finishing 3/4 of the early game big bosses, and having no idea about Huntsman's Copse. With the ability to instantly teleport between bonfires, I totally forgot about that small area you needed to return to for access to that area.

I think the part I actually like the most are all the sly callbacks to Dark Souls 1. (like Tark and Najka, so fucking cool)

YOU_DIED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I fucking adore this game

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just made another thread about it, but I really, REALLY hate boss fights that throw nagging weaker enemies at you, and DSII has a LOT of those. Most boss fights, it seems. It seems so damn lazy on top of being boring and frustrating. I like the rest of the game, but bad boss fights are a huge fucking let down in a Souls game.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By development

@afabs515: I think the problem is that there aren't *enough* invaders compared to Sentinels. Every time I invade a game a Sentinel gets summoned almost instantly. The Sentinels are available to join very early, while it can be a bit before you find a few cracked red eye orbs or the covenant that distributes them. It'll probably stay clogged as long as people are playing, unless they change the way that stuff is set up.

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Like all souls game's they kick your ass in the beginning, then you find things like the cling ring that make your experience far more manageable and it becomes the best game ever made. I am loving this game just like the previous games.

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#84  Edited By gla55jAw

Played from 12-3 in the am last night and literally played all day today/tonight. Haven't done that in a long time. Love this game.

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know if I have it in me to enjoy being punished anymore. I think the game is fantastic and I love watching others play it but yeah... apparently I've lost my taste for screaming at my TV.

LegalBagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

Loving the game 20 hours in. The best thing about it - I had about the same curve I had with the original Dark Souls. I spent about 3-5 hours getting destroyed, making stupid mistakes, mishandling my stamina, mistiming dodges and shield usage, and all the rest. Then I took down the Pursuer after 15+ tries, pumped some stats into ADP, and everything clicked again. Since then it's been all great - some setbacks, some frustrating levels and bosses, lots of deaths, progress and learning the game - classic Dark Souls fun.

I really agree people should put stats into ADP if they're getting frustrated with shield raise timing and staggering. There's stats to deal with that. It's just that it's not Dark Souls, and you can't pick up a 100% physical shield, dump points into END, and be a defensive king. I tried to rebuild my Dark Souls character at first, and it didn't work at all.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@afabs515: I think the problem is that there aren't *enough* invaders compared to Sentinels. Every time I invade a game a Sentinel gets summoned almost instantly. The Sentinels are available to join very early, while it can be a bit before you find a few cracked red eye orbs or the covenant that distributes them. It'll probably stay clogged as long as people are playing, unless they change the way that stuff is set up.

That's interesting. I still havent even been invaded by a red spirit yet. But hopefully they do change it a bit. I don't think I like the way that you have to be in the Covenant of the Meek to have the blue sentinels help you out. It seems like a bit of an unnecessary restriction to me.

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doesn't have the same charm as DS1, but PvE is still satisfying and I'm playing much more co-op than I did with the previous game. That said, I'm 60-plus hours in at SL140 and am ready to finish things up.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By ripelivejam

i wasn't, then i was, then i wasn't, then i beat the last giant and now i am i guess? it really seems to come in fits and starts. i'm trying to do battlemage but i'm wondering if i'll have to just respec in the end for full on sorcerer, or i'm not doing it right. or "get gud" maybe?

btw i'm at like over 9 hours so i'm guessing i'm also proceeding way too slowly. part of that was just leaving the game in idle though.

i also feel like i need to grind souls and level in order to make the game manageable. but i guess that comes back to "get gud" like everything else, eh? ;)

i'm not really sure where to head at this point. heide's tower of flame?

PollySMPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

After 75 hours and completing the game once and about 80% through on NG+, I really don't think this one is gonna have the same staying power for me. I mean, I think it plays better than the previous games by leaps and bounds, but the world is just so uninteresting to me, the characters don't have the same impact as Demon's or Dark Souls' cast, and the boss encounters are probably the most boring and uninspired in series history. There's just no excitement or sense of pacing or world to keep me coming back.

From made the safest game they possibly could and unfortunately a feeling of safety isn't something that really fits with a Souls game.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I enjoyed the game a lot, and I think it's definitely good. But as you say, there is a lot of broken bullshit and unbalanced pve/equipment. That really drags some of it down. And it's also lacking the atmosphere and sense of cohesion that made the first game so excellent. Oh well, I'm a little frustrated and disappointed, but I still enjoyed the game a lot. The core gameplay and feedback loop is just too good to be overshadowed by the bad parts.

PolyesterKyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ripelivejam: Heide's tower is a pretty good bet. Or you can try to unlock some doors near the Last Giant.

I also can offer this. As vague as it is, the advice "get gud" kind of does apply here. I find that on certain days, I die to a boss maybe 50 times in a row, don't make any progress and then call it there. And that's part of the experience but on the days where I kill several bosses and storm through hellish landscape after nightmare world? Those are the days that stick in my mind as the most fun.

Also don't feel like you need to follow any sort of pace right now. It can take a little while to get used to the subtle and not so subtle differences mechanically from the previous games (by Dark Souls standards a little while can be several hours). It's fun to make progress but remember even when you're not beating bosses or reaching bonfires, you're still learning and getting accustomed to everything. Best of luck, bearer of the curse!

HaniBall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By HaniBall

I wasnt then i pumped adp and lo and behold the game is growing on me.

Now that the crows gave me a second old whip i cant help thinking indiana jones run!

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Didn't like it on the PS3 much, felt kinda shitty and I think my left stick on the dual shock 3 is kinda busted. Not a good experience at all. Killed 5 bosses and left it.

Loving it with the DS4 on the PC. Have had kinda limited time for playing lately but I'm making progress.

Kaos999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

412 hours in and still enjoying myself. One sl359, another sl271, another at sl112. While some of my playtime is frustrating due to the dumbass delay between button inputs (should be able to go from R2 to r1 smoothly and quickly) I just have to remember to slow my twitch reflex from time to time.

ElixirBronze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By ElixirBronze
    The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lots of it.

Moonshadow101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Absolutely. The Soul Memory mechanic is kinda grimy at higher levels, and the hitboxes are occasionally broken as fuck in online, but definitely having fun.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.